• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Haines

Banned
I wish local team VS online kept track of matches and scored for the club etc. takes some charm out of winning if it doesnt even count

has Nintendo said ANYTHING at all in regards to how long we are waiting for the next sports?

Celine

Yeah you just need to wait for the servers to update. I won a match against region that according to statistics we had never won against but still when I checked afterwards it still showed that we had won 0.00% out of the matches.
Wait there are in deep statistic?

Celine

I'm not sure. Visit the Club Page and whatever you can see there. At least they show a club you have a low win-percentage against and a club you have a strong win-percentage against.
Ah, you meant that.

So...I can't seem to get any spin on serves..any help?
First thing first do you recognize when a service has spin on it?

The trick is always the same, rotate the wrist while doing it.

Hoodbury

I just played an online game solo without my wife being the second player and now it recorded that match. So you can't play 2 player online if you want to track your stats?

Ah, you meant that.

First thing first do you recognize when a service has spin on it?

The trick is always the same, rotate the wrist while doing it.

I get nothing on it at all. Not even the slightest rotation. I don't get it, I can spin normal shots just fine.

Also, I just beat a guy using FRYING PANS instead of rackets. How do you get that? Collecting Stamps?

Celine

I get nothing on it at all. Not even the slightest rotation. I don't get it, I can spin normal shots just fine.
When you lift your arm to the highest point the A button should face your left (or right depend with what hand you hold the wiimote), then you rotate the wrist while doing the down movement ( the A button should face the roof at the end of the movement).

Also, I just beat a guy using FRYING PANS instead of rackets. How do you get that? Collecting Stamps?
Dunno but there was an easter egg in the original WS where holding 1 or 2 button before the match enabled a few special things...

When you lift your arm to the highest point the A button should face your left (or right depend with what hand you hold the wiimote), then you rotate the wrist while doing the down movement ( the A button should face the roof at the end of the movement).

Sorry, but this isn't working for me at all. Not a single bit of spin. :(

I still got it with bowling, but man, I'm pretty clueless with tennis. Not sure 24 hours is enough for practice :p I had a close loss in my first online match, but the closeness was mainly due to lag.

Celine

Sorry, but this isn't working for me at all. Not a single bit of spin. :(
Don't look at the spin of the ball but where the ball goes.
In a power service with "outer" spin the ball goes slightly nearer the edge on the left (or right) field compared to a "normal" power service.
At the same time you could spin the other way and that would result in a power service that goes slightly inside the field compared to a "normal" power service (I'm not too good with this one).

That's a big deal because it throw off the opponent timing concerning the response.

Kjellson

I just played a solo game of bowling and God, I've gone to shit. Back in 2006 I could hit strike after strike. This time? Not even a spare.

Also, I just noticed my club (SWE South) is at number three in the tennis ranking. Cool.

I must have played against this guy named Sirenze at least 10 times now, and I just beat him for the first time. He seems to have max points already.

I feel stupidly happy now.

GulAtiCa

Really enjoying bowling. Esp the 100 pin games. Getting pretty decent at throwing curved balls to get me strikes. Think my highest score is like just north of 2000

Darryl

Banned
Tennis is so complicated. This game needs a guide. It's no longer pick up and play simple. It's still fun even if I don't know what I'm doing though.

sakipon

Tennis is so complicated. This game needs a guide. It's no longer pick up and play simple. It's still fun even if I don't know what I'm doing though.

I also wished it had a quick tutorial of some sort. Though unlike you, I didn't find it fun. I'm going to keep on playing Wii Fit U squash instead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does the direction your racket is facing when you hit the ball matter for anything?
Well yes, forehand early is going to hit the ball towards the left whereas backhand will hit it to the right. Flip that round when you hit the ball late.

Instead of picking these up I decided to boot up WSResort again as I never really put that much time into it.

Table Tennis seems far more responsive. I did find the Wiimote's calibration in Tennis drifting sometime thus losing a round because my racket wasn't where I expected it. Of course there could have been a factor in the room between Friday and Sunday that caused this difference, but still even when playing sword duel (where the remote position is changing constantly) I didn't need to keep resetting my centre. Just odd that the 2009 game performed better than the 2013 one.

Never going to be that table tennis champion though. :(

Does the direction your racket is facing when you hit the ball matter for anything?

The direction, i.e. left or right? Yes.

The angle of the racket, no. This isn't like Grand Slam Tennis.

What matters are the direction (or more specifically, the direction your Mii is facing) and when you swing (early, mid, late).

When you get the hang of hitting the ball left, right, and middle; try adding spin to your shots by quickly rotating your wrist as you swing.

The direction, i.e. left or right? Yes.

The angle of the racket, no. This isn't like Grand Slam Tennis.

What matters are the direction (or more specifically, the direction your Mii is facing) and when you swing (early, mid, late).

When you get the hang of hitting the ball left, right, and middle; try adding spin to your shots by quickly rotating your wrist as you swing.

the angle does in my experience, I've hit shots high into the air, conversely some have been so low they have hit the net.

iphys

Do you think Boxing will mandate or at least give us the option of using 2 Wiimote pluses? It just occurred to me that the nunchuks aren't motion plus, and I always found the nunchuk cord annoying in Boxing. Since it's only 2-player, 4 Wiimotes will work fine, but then I wonder how many people own 4 Wiimotes or would be forced to play online if they only own 2, and how many people would just be out of luck if they only owned 1.

Celine

Pass Level 9. The next level is Star-1.

Did anyone figure out how to get frying pans in tennis? I'm wondering if maybe you can do it after you beat the CPU champions?
I beat the camphions but just got the normal racket.
Haven't tried any secret button combination though.

zroid

Banned
Do you think Boxing will mandate or at least give us the option of using 2 Wiimote pluses? It just occurred to me that the nunchuks aren't motion plus, and I always found the nunchuk cord annoying in Boxing. Since it's only 2-player, 4 Wiimotes will work fine, but then I wonder how many people own 4 Wiimotes or would be forced to play online if they only own 2, and how many people would just be out of luck if they only owned 1.

Could be. Clearly Nintendo seems open to the idea since you need two Wiimote+/Motion+ for the dance games in Wii Fit U.

Celine

BTW not getting stamps online but increasing the experience with it is a bit bullshit.
Had to get the "10 consecutive deuce" and "perfect" stamps against level star-7 bots.
That was relatively easy however the last I miss is the "win a match with only forehand shots".
That's quite harder, like playing tennis with just one arm against cheaters.
Maybe harder than beating the champions girls.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think you are right.
it is no more the pick up & play it used to be.
and I am happy about the chenges, because today I'll probably end playing it alone, or with a friend of mine that is a "player", unlike back in the days.
But I'm also sure that they did a great job proposing Sport back in the days, as it was: very accessible

Epcott

Want to play this, but I need a Wiimote Plus and nunchucku.

But... will I need to buy a Wii sensor bar, or do those things work with the Wii U bar?

iphys

For some reason I can only get access to the Day Pass. Eshop is acting weird on me.

There's a big download file that contains the data for the sports that doesn't start to download till after the small initial Sports Club file has downloaded, so I'm guessing you need to have that second file downloaded before you can buy the DLC unlock file for the individual sports.

But... will I need to buy a Wii sensor bar, or do those things work with the Wii U bar?

You don't need a nunchuck.

The Wii sensor bar works with a Wii U, but you don't need it for this either.

bart64

Banned

The sensor bars are the same, so either will work. You may still find the wii party u free controller pack.

Mitsurux

I must have played against this guy named Sirenze at least 10 times now, and I just beat him for the first time. He seems to have max points already.

I feel stupidly happy now.

Played against him as well (Good player)... and was surprised that Star 10 appears to the the highest level...

D-e-f-

Banned

You'll need a sensor bar. It's good to have one. Or just use candles.

You could get this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ACAKYU/ (not sold in NA for some reason) to have all your bases covered in one go.

The sensor bars are the same, so either will work. You may still find the wii party u free controller pack.

Oh yea, that too if you already have a Premium/Deluxe Wii U that came with one. Sensor bar is just two lights in a plastic shell. There is no technology behind it. Like I said, you could just as well use candles!

Ok, so I found the guy with the frying pans on Miiverse (BUDDS123).

He says to get them you press and hold A+B+1+2 all the way until you get to the match. However, you might have to be at Star-10 for it to work.

Stratostar

Has anyone tried playing this game offline? Not local play, but actually starting up the game with your Wii U disconnected from the Internet? I heard that you can't get past the title screen if you are offline, supposedly because that is when tries to "obtain information." I swear, if this game is always-online...

Top Bottom