• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

daakusedo

Beginning this week I guess a steady flow of news is not far fetched.
One year, nintendo and you still keep too much...
Now I don't predict anything from e3, the two last years were good and now that the games were lacking we went back to the e3 is not for us comments.
This time, more than not being the target, it seems games were not ready or they plan to reveal things during the next months.

Now I have no problem with the launch games cause if the console is 300$ or more, I'll surely just buy one game and later waiting for pikmin release, but having more to look forward wouldn't be too much.

Nibel

I'm pretty sure that there is an IGN article from this week where it's confirmed that Ghost Recon online is still being worked on.

Eradicate

Just watched that IGN preview of P-100 with Bill; first: it looks really, really good. But there was a scene in the video which made me think:

There is this machine which drops some "plastic" balls with heroes in it; for reference:

2IhGn.jpg

Could they release small collectible figurines with NFC chips inside them? So that you can get rare heroes?

Nibel...I think you hit upon a great idea! I think gashapon toys (I THINK that's what they are called) are incredibly popular in Japan, and I could totally see those sorts of toys having a little chip to put your characters into a game!

In America, I don't know how popular they are, but if they had them in enough places (or just sold sets of the toys), it'd work just fine!

I just never thought of those gashapon toys before. I think it could be really popular! Maybe even do something for the Miiverse to expand the content and characters available there!

Oh, and...Shenmue!!!

Terrell said:
I think part of the reason we're seeing paltry 3rd-party work for WiiU at E3 is because Japan has basically told the western gaming press to go fuck themselves and are holding their cards for Japanese gaming events like TGS and/or announcements outside of the press events.

I know, it seems like the Japanese presence at E3 this year wasn't there as strongly as it used to be. Hopefully they do some great reveals and shows over there in Japan soon before the end of the year!

And yeah, I'm surprised at no LEGO Lord of the Rings! That'd be a great one to have alongside LEGO City: Undercover!

Terrell

Also, I'd like to take this moment to make another prediction.

Platinum Games will be at least an exclusive 2nd-party developer for Nintendo. At most, we'll see Nintendo swallow them whole. One of these 2 things will happen by the time this upcoming generation is over.

TunaLover

I think not seeing Ghost Recon Online and a lot of other games is indicative of a feature Nintendo wasn't ready to talk about... online multiplayer.

EA? Silent.
Ghost Recon? MIA.
Retro's game? Demo pulled.

The only reason we saw ZombiU appears to be that it has an exciting single-player campaign.

And it goes without saying that Japan in general simply wasn't at E3 AT ALL.

Bandai Namco and Platinum were all of the 3rd-party representation of new content from Japan for WiiU.
Capcom really only had Dragon's Dogma and RE6 to show.
Konami only had Metal Gear Rising to get people excited, but that's because they're running out of time and places to demo it in the West before its release date.
Sega had Western-developed games on hand and.... practically nothing else.

I think part of the reason we're seeing paltry 3rd-party work for WiiU at E3 is because Japan has basically told the western gaming press to go fuck themselves and are holding their cards for Japanese gaming events like TGS and/or announcements outside of the press events. Because let's be honest, Japan has never been so un-present from E3 as they were this year.

I´m not so optimist about japanese 3rd party support, I just see Tecmo Koei really on board, with a apathic Konami, SE, Capcom (to be seen) and Bamco with their party games stuff.

Sadist

Platinum Games will be at least an exclusive 2nd-party developer for Nintendo. At most, we'll see Nintendo swallow them whole.
Nah, that won't happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Platinum ends up doing some work on Smash Bros. Wii U. Sakurai visiting Platinum a few weeks ago was most likely a trip to see Project P-100, but I've got a gut feeling that Sakurai might be looking for dev teams in helping him developing Smash Bros.

Thraktor

Only thing I can think of with EA is that they are waiting to show their games with two controllers.

I understand this, but I still don't know why Nintendo and EA were so hesitant to even confirm the existence of games like FIFA and Madden. It's not as if the platform getting a FIFA game and a Madden game is some sort of earth-shattering megaton. The same with Blops 2 and Skylanders, I really don't understand Nintendo's strategy in not allowing Activision to even talk about these.

I'm also a bit surprised that EA and Activision are willing to go along with Nintendo with this degree of secrecy post-E3. The only guess I could make would be that the launch window titles not shown yet are the ones Nintendo will be contributing to the advertising spend on, as I'm sure a seven-figure sum to spend on advertising would encourage them to keep quiet.

Terrell

Nah, that won't happen.

I'd be interested to hear why you think so.

I´m not so optimist about japanese 3rd party support, I just see Tecmo Koei really on board, with a apathic Konami, SE, Capcom (to be seen) and Bamco with their party games stuff.

What you see now is just that. But since no one in Japan was really showing anyone ANYTHING at E3, that can't be taken to mean it's not there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

We'll see. Just from a sales perspective, it makes sense for Japanese third parties to heavily support Wii U. PS360 largely failed in Japan-it took 4 years of 3rd parties ramming high profiles through for them to finally create a relatively healthy ecosystem.

Now, maybe for stuff like resident evil Japan won't be a primary consideration, but for titles targeted at Japan Wii U makes a lot of sense as opposed to creating brand new engines yet again.

I *think* Alberto hinted something along these lines a while back- that mid-tier Japanese developers see Wii U as a good place to develop for to combat increased costs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I understand this, but I still don't know why Nintendo and EA were so hesitant to even confirm the existence of games like FIFA and Madden. It's not as if the platform getting a FIFA game and a Madden game is some sort earth-shattering megaton. The same with Blops 2 and Skylanders, I really don't understand Nintendo's strategy in not allowing Activision to even talk about these.

I'm also a bit surprised that EA and Activision are willing to go along with Nintendo with this degree of secrecy post-E3. The only guess I could make would be that the launch window titles not shown yet are the ones Nintendo will be contributing to the advertising spend on, as I'm sure a seven-figure sum to spend on advertising would encourage them to keep quiet.

Probably they want just to spread news between the Conference and the actual Launch, in order to "surprise" people more and more about the console itself. A gift which keeps giving costantly, without big pauses.

For fun, or maybe not. Wii U has already almost 340k fans on Facebook; 3DS has about 1.200.000, Wii 5.345.000. All official Nintendo Facebook pages.

Sadist

I'd be interested to hear why you think so.
Well, I believe it was EatChildren who divulged on the whole "Nintendo won't buy studios, because talent can leave so they might be better off building up a new studio from the ground up" which I agree with. Second, I don't think Kamiya is really interested to answer to higher-ups again. He and Mikami loathed the way how Capcom treated Clover and left. He wants to make the games he wants and he'll seek out a publisher crazy enough to fund it. It worked on Sega didn't it?

Perhaps Nintendo will set up some contract like SEGA for a couple of games? I guess sometimes they are in the mood for such things, like the Capcom 5...

What you see now is just that. But since no one in Japan was really showing anyone ANYTHING at E3, that can't be taken to mean it's not there.

Do we yet know when the Japanese console introduction will happen? I think it was supposed to be one week after E3, so...

Azure J

Platinum Games will be at least an exclusive 2nd-party developer for Nintendo. At most, we'll see Nintendo swallow them whole. One of these 2 things will happen by the time this upcoming generation is over.

Man I would be so down for this. So so down for this. At the same time though, Bayonetta would probably get left behind, what with Sega owning the IP, sooo... :(

That's the one. Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/dNIAO.png

;)

You know what I find surprising as well? No Lego Lord of the Rings.

Gracias. I wonder why they have "Holiday" and "Launch Window" separate.

I think not seeing Ghost Recon Online and a lot of other games is indicative of a feature Nintendo wasn't ready to talk about... online multiplayer.

EA? Silent.
Ghost Recon? MIA.
Retro's game? Demo pulled.

The only reason we saw ZombiU appears to be that it has an exciting single-player campaign.

Good point

So wait we're not sure if the system has 2GB (1.5 + .5 for the os) anymore?

We are/were never certain. It just went to "more than likely" than "hopefully".

I understand this, but I still don't know why Nintendo and EA were so hesitant to even confirm the existence of games like FIFA and Madden. It's not as if the platform getting a FIFA game and a Madden game is some sort of earth-shattering megaton. The same with Blops 2 and Skylanders, I really don't understand Nintendo's strategy in not allowing Activision to even talk about these.

I don't know either. But that's a good point about the marketing money, and maybe with the way there are controlling info releases Nintendo is trying to give their games prominence on Wii U? That was something I was thinking just now. I can see Mpl's take as well.

Did you see my question on the CPU?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's the one. Thanks.

Gracias. I wonder why they have "Holiday" and "Launch Window" separate.

Good point

We are/were never certain. It just went to "more than likely" than "hopefully".

I don't know either. But that's a good point about the marketing money, and maybe with the way there are controlling info releases Nintendo is trying to give their games prominence on Wii U? That was something I was thinking just now. I can see Mpl's take as well.

Thank you oh knowledgeable one

Terrell

Well, I believe it was EatChildren who divulged on the whole "Nintendo won't buy studios, because talent can leave so they might be better off building up a new studio from the ground up" which I agree with. Second, I don't think Kamiya is really interested to answer to higher-ups again. He and Mikami loathed the way how Capcom treated Clover and left. He wants to make the games he wants and he'll seek out a publisher crazy enough to fund it. It worked on Sega didn't it?

Well, it didn't stop them from buying Monolith, a move that no one really saw coming.

I think it's less a worry about people leaving but more like Nintendo won't buy a studio unless the studio actively wants for it to happen. So if Minami wants it to happen, it will. That's really the only wild card.

Also, Capcom is not Nintendo, by any stretch of the imagination. Monolith Soft hasn't seen a talent bleed. In fact, quite the opposite. And Iwata Asks interviews with Monolith and Sakaguchi at Mistwalker seem to give the impression that Nintendo encourages all its teams to play to their strengths with a large level of creative freedom. There's a reason Nintendo has one of the highest employee retention rate in the Japanese video game industry, if not the highest PERIOD.

Oh good. I'm glad Ghost Recon is still going strong. I really think having that strong online focus in a game at/near launch is key. Pretty much the one key element other than the software someone can point at and go "This. This is better than the wii"

Sadist

Well, it didn't stop them from buying Monolith, a move that no one really saw coming.

I think it's less a worry about people leaving but more like Nintendo won't buy a studio unless the studio actively wants for it to happen. So if Minami wants it to happen, it will. That's really the only wild card.
I agree on this one.

Also, Capcom is not Nintendo, by any stretch of the imagination. Monolith Soft hasn't seen a talent bleed. In fact, quite the opposite. And Iwata Asks interviews with Monolith and Sakaguchi at Mistwalker seem to give the impression that Nintendo encourages all its teams to play to their strengths with a large level of creative freedom. There's a reason Nintendo has one of the highest employee retention rate in the Japanese video game industry, if not the highest PERIOD.
True; as another ex co-worker from Kamiya said: Nintendo's board of directors doesn't consist of just suits: they have people in it with game developer experience. But I just don't believe Kamiya wants to join the ranks of Nintendo with Platinum. He wants to be his own man, even if Nintendo would grant him all the freedom in the world.

Hmmm... this list is missing Injustice: Gods Among Us and apparently Sacrilegium
I'm assuming they're coming out in 2013
I guess that's another title which has been silenced. Haven't heard any news regarding the Wii U SKU. Curious.

Effect

I think part of the reason we're seeing paltry 3rd-party work for WiiU at E3 is because Japan has basically told the western gaming press to go fuck themselves and are holding their cards for Japanese gaming events like TGS and/or announcements outside of the press events. Because let's be honest, Japan has never been so un-present from E3 as they were this year.

If that is anywhere close to being the case I hope that doesn't spill over to the western buyers. There is already a problem with some Japanese games not making it over. For those who enjoy Japanese made games more then western ones I think it's been frustrating. Especially if you are a Nintendo fan where western third parties have all but abandoned their systems when it comes to quality games (only getting token gestures or poor spin offs) and where Japanese games can end up being the game you rely on.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
U-GPU was never "just an R700". Take that as a leak.

ps: sneaky bastards, the entire lot

hey blu :)

Yep, i thought it was crystal-clear in my post that dev kit didn't have an off-the-shelf RV700 chip inside them, as i already said that before. I'm saying that it was further customized since the time those spec were relevant, and talking of comparable raw power & feature-set. Like here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38704756&postcount=1166

Thraktor

I do sort of see why they'd choose these games to push the Wii U with. Madden has obvious benefits, especially with two controllers, FIFA could be good if they use the touchscreen well, Skylanders will rake in cash with NFC in the controller, and Black Ops 2 seems almost designed for the Wii U with the screen on the character's arm, drones, etc. In fact I think Blops 2 could end up being a good selling point for the Wii U if it has good touchscreen features and improved graphics from the PS360 versions, especially if Nintendo's contributing to the advertising (meaning a Wii U gets featured in the ads).

It's difficult to judge, as there are a load of different ways that a "master core" could be implemented. The fact that the cache is so heavily asymmetric, with one core getting four times the L2 cache of the other two, definitely has me interested to find out, though.

Edit: Actually, here's some completely unfounded speculation that probably isn't true, but what if only one core has the new AltiVec unit, or one of the cores has a different, much more advanced, AltiVec unit than the other two? This would account for the much larger cache.

Bumhead

Banned
Another reason I'm glad this thread exist.

Yeah same.

In general, the quality of posts in response to Wii U threads on NeoGAF is really scraping the barrel at the moment. There's plenty to question and critique about Nintendo's plans and Wii U reveal but I like to think most of the people who contributed to the speculation threads are capable of doing that here without resorting to childish trolling and just complete ignorance.

The Netflix thread is particularly bad. I suppose if Nintendo had released a new console in 2012 without any multimedia features or support they would have praised it, right?

Anyway, enough of that. Has it been confirmed which Wii accessories exactly will work with the Wii U? I can't quite remember. Are we expecting Wii Classic controller to work, or are they being shunted in favour of hoping people buy the new one?

Roo

Anyway, enough of that. Has it been confirmed which Wii accessories exactly will work with the Wii U? I can't quite remember. Are we expecting Wii Classic controller to work, or are they being shunted in favour of hoping people buy the new one?

E3 Nintendo said:
Other Controllers

The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.

Wiimote
Nunchuks
Wii Classic Controller/Pro
Balance Board

Terrell

True; as another ex co-worker from Kamiya said: Nintendo's board of directors doesn't consist of just suits: they have people in it with game developer experience. But I just don't believe Kamiya wants to join the ranks of Nintendo with Platinum. He wants to be his own man, even if Nintendo would grant him all the freedom in the world.

Well, as has been evidenced by this generation, stranger things have happened, especially when it comes to Nintendo's talent pool and where they come from. A lot of "self-made men" in the Japanese gaming industry have made their way to Nintendo, including one of the 3 fathers of Sonic, Yasuhara, ending up at NST of all places after working with Naughty Dog and Bandai Namco.

I guess that's another title which has been silenced. Haven't heard any news regarding the Wii U SKU. Curious.

Well, Injustice doesn't have a release date for any platform yet, so I'm not surprised to see it wasn't talked about. And Sacreligium was announced after that list was created, if I recall correctly.

It's difficult to judge, as there are a load of different ways that a "master core" could be implemented. The fact that the cache is so heavily asymmetric, with one core getting four times the L2 cache of the other two, definitely has me interested to find out, though.

Edit: Actually, here's some completely unfounded speculation that probably isn't true, but what if only one core has the new AltiVec unit, or one of the cores has a different, much more advanced, AltiVec unit than the other two? This would account for the much larger cache.

Here's lherre's original post.

And your edit reminds me of an idea DCKing and myself had.

Wow at the negativity of some toward the system in my thread about Netflix for Wii U. It's hilarious actually, like other posters felt and stated there.

Sooooo many irritatingly stupid and hypocritical posts in there. Me: "Wow, what a cool option. My wife can watch Netflix while I play games or vice versa!" People in thread: "Why is Nintendo adding all of these extra features and options?! Smartglass is better even though it's a pricey add on that I've never even used!!! Durrrr."

Nintendo. They don't add cool stuff, people complain. They add cool stuff and people complain anyways and say the features are "pointless" or just a "novelty." Unreal.

Wow at the negativity of some toward the system in my thread about Netflix for Wii U. It's hilarious actually, like other posters felt and stated there.

Not really surprised. December NPD will be historic. I'm confident that Wii U is going to sell, there are alot of ppl out there that never read Neogaf or IGN or anything heavily video game oriented online but they, their family, and their grandmother will buy the system anyway. Just because they already bought a Wii and had a fun experience with it.

You have to think about demographics. Take an average female. Unless you are her boyfriend or a really good friend, she wont be influenced by all of this "spec" talk. Take someone who's just lost their job. Do they get a $299 system that has great looking games(and "Nintendo" on the box) or wait 2 years to afford a $499 system because one or more of their friends said they should? Take a grandmother. The first thing the older generation looks at is price. $299 will be expensive enough lol. $399 or $499 is crazy. They bought a $250 Wii just 3 years ago that had them having fun playing stuff that they may no longer physically be able to do. So they will get a Wii U. If you don't price hardware right, it can have dramatic results on how well u will do as well as the range of people u will be able to affect. The graphical differences just won't be enough to make such a huge comparison outside of message boards this time around.

We had 6 years of seeing this with Wii. A clear difference between hardcore and casual consumers. Even now there are still over a 100,000 Wiis being bought every month, despite the success of other systems. What magically is going to change the real world to convince everyone to ignore the Wii U? It doesnt make sense logically.

Effect

If there would be no significant backlash or negativity outcome does anyone else think Nintendo would have skipped this year's E3?

I can't shake the feeling, as suggested that they were stalling for time, and if they could have had their way they might have done everything online with their Nintendo Directs. I actually would have preferred that to be honest. Sure we wouldn't have hands on impressions but I always felt E3 was a horrible place to get hands on impressions because of the very limited time you had with the game. You would generally in a rushed state of mind and annoyed do to waiting in line, etc. Having someone from Nintendo or the 3rd parties sit down and play the game for about 10 minutes and then have that video on their website would have been better. The play through on IGN for Project P-100 is what got me into the game and that was just with IGN and Bill Trinnen talking while the game was played through a few missions. That is what I'd like to see.

Jarsonot

I wouldn't be surprised (would in fact be delighted) if Nintendoland isn't a pack-in, but is bundled with a GamePad Pro controller for $40 or so. I'd bite - definitely want another controller sometime, and the game looks like it'd be fun, just not full-retail fun.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, haven't kept up as well on this thread. =)

Thraktor

Yeah, in thinking about what might require that large a cache, I could only think of three things:

1. One core has a higher clock-speed
2. One core is capable of handling more threads simultaneously
3. One core has more data-hungry functionality

Now, the first we can throw out straight away, as although it's technically possible, it doesn't make a bit of sense. The second is just about possible, but for the cache quantities to make sense, IBM would have to have paired a 4-way SMT core with two single-threaded cores, which is a little crazy compared to just using 3 symmetric 2-way SMT cores.

This leaves us with the third option. Now, most execution units on these cores are going to be fairly standard, and even heavily customized wouldn't require a large chunk of extra cache feeding them data. The only exception to this is the AltiVec unit, which is going to be heavily customized, and is going to be going through a lot of data.

My logic would be that, early on in the design process, IBM and Nintendo came up with some SIMD functionality that would be very useful, but very expensive in terms of transistors. It's possible that they decided to compromise, and either have one core with the extra functionality and two with more basic AltiVec units, or even two AltiVec-less cores combined with one core with a sort of monster AltiVec unit. Either case would account for the heavily asymmetric cache.

This could cause problems in development, though, for instance if you accidentally try to run AltiVec-dependent code on a core without an AltiVec unit.

Of course it's also possible that the extra cache is purely for some "master core" functionalities, but the sheer amount of extra cache is just a bit surprising if that's the case.

AzaK

If there would be no significant backlash or negativity outcome does anyone else think Nintendo would have skipped this year's E3?

I can't shake the feeling, as suggested that they were stalling for time, and if they could have had their way they might have done everything online with their Nintendo Directs. I actually would have preferred that to be honest. Sure we wouldn't have hands on impressions but I always felt E3 was a horrible place to get hands on impressions because of the very limited time you had with the game. You would generally in a rushed state of mind and annoyed do to waiting in line, etc. Having someone from Nintendo or the 3rd parties sit down and play the game for about 10 minutes and then have that video on their website would have been better. The play through on IGN for Project P-100 is what got me into the game and that was just with IGN and Bill Trinnen talking while the game was played through a few missions. That is what I'd like to see.

No, they still would have gone, except they might have shown NO core games if they weren't a little scared of us still :) They use E3 nowadays to get to the mainstream press, not us nor the enthusiast press.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, in thinking about what might require that large a cache, I could only think of three things:

1. One core has a higher clock-speed
2. One core is capable of handling more threads simultaneously
3. One core has more data-hungry functionality

Now, the first we can throw out straight away, as although it's technically possible, it doesn't make a bit of sense. The second is just about possible, but for the cache quantities to make sense, IBM would have to have paired a 4-way SMT core with two single-threaded cores, which is a little crazy compared to just using 3 symmetric 2-way SMT cores.

This leaves us with the third option. Now, most execution units on these cores are going to be fairly standard, and even heavily customized wouldn't require a large chunk of extra cache feeding them data. The only exception to this is the AltiVec unit, which is going to be heavily customized, and is going to be going through a lot of data.

My logic would be that, early on in the design process, IBM and Nintendo came up with some SIMD functionality that would be very useful, but very expensive in terms of transistors. It's possible that they decided to compromise, and either have one core with the extra functionality and two with more basic AltiVec units, or even two AltiVec-less cores combined with one core with a sort of monster AltiVec unit. Either case would account for the heavily asymmetric cache.

This could cause problems in development, though, for instance if you accidentally try to run AltiVec-dependent code on a core without an AltiVec unit.

Of course it's also possible that the extra cache is purely for some "master core" functionalities, but the sheer amount of extra cache is just a bit surprising if that's the case.

*scared voice*

What is this? ={

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1648583&postcount=1186

AzaK

Sooo, are we rooting for Nintendo's sales or actual games, guys? Sometimes I'm not sure.

Well obviously games, but if the sales don't come, then neither will the games and vice-versa.

Personally I actually expect the first party games to come and I still feel like 3rd party will follow - it's the tech I'm rooting for. I want to feel like I'm using some cool new pretty grunty machine. Apart from those top tier dudes like Bungie and Naughty Dog who push their respective tech to the max, I'm ready for a bit of a bump in the average game. Ideally if I had to chose an area to enhance, it'd be lighting.

I really hope Nintendo has added some special lighting tech that will really wow us. Give me 720, 30fps but with gorgeous lighting over higher polycounts, 60fps and 1080.

You have to think about demographics. Take an average female. Unless you are her boyfriend or a really good friend, she wont be influenced by all of this "spec" talk. Take someone who's just lost their job. Do they get a $299 system that has great looking games(and "Nintendo" on the box) or wait 2 years to afford a $499 system because one or more of their friends said they should? Take a grandmother. The first thing the older generation looks at is price. $299 will be expensive enough lol. $399 or $499 is crazy. They bought a $250 Wii just 3 years ago that had them having fun playing stuff that they may no longer physically be able to do. So they will get a Wii U. If you don't price hardware right, it can have dramatic results on how well u will do as well as the range of people u will be able to affect. The graphical differences just won't be enough to make such a huge comparison outside of message boards this time around.

Is that average female or grandmother going to buy the latest & flashy fps or sports game or whatever third party game is dominating the top of the ndp charts? If not, I don't see why sony or ms cares if they buy a wii u or not at a cheaper price.

Your right, demographics do matter, and third party publishers are definitely going to pay attention on who is buying this or not.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
We know that partially optimized audio middleware performs at least as well on the Wii U's CPU as on Xenon. Three overclocked Wii cores simply wouldn't be able to do that.

That's true! I've seen the document however I thought espresso was a developer =/

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking more about how branding is going to look like regarding the Wii U cover inlays. As I got hold of a Wii U logo in vector format (Nintendo rarely supplies these through press kits etc., but someone made a mistake) I have been trying to fit it with many geometric shapes. I have written this before, but I think it should be stressed, the Wii U logo does NOT go well together with the header graphic of the Wii U covers! If Nintendo intends to simply have that graphic reversed horizontally (like with the 3DS covers) the confusion will be immense among casuals and CNN writers at least. So, what shape is the best then for the Wii U logo (if it should go on a keep case/ Blu-ray single case format that is)?

Well, if we are to take design ideas from past Nintendo systems, the general design we have now originates from what I can tell the Japanese Nintendo 64 covers. Unlike the EU/US covers, these are vertical and not horizontal. A vertical format has since been what Nintendo has chosen, though in various sizes. The Nintendo 3DS cover design is very simple but works well (at least by now) and a simple design is very like for the Wii U boxes as well. What I have found works really well with the Wii U logo is something similar to the elliptical half that was used for EU/US GameCube covers. In the below example, I have used a design similar to that and added/modified the "border" below the element. It's transparent here, though I found that is not the best option:

GameCube I doubt anyone would confuse this with, that system is not even supported by Nintendo anymore (except for with repair etc.) and not many chains carry products for the format. Besides, the header graphic of GameCube is black and not white.

I think it looks nice and is clearly different from Wii. However, it is also quite generic and I wonder if Nintendo perhaps could do something special in this department to drive sales and also help developers. The best they could do is having the Wii U logo separate in the upper left corner without any elements except for artwork surrounding it. Now that of course poses a problem seeing as it can be overlooked and mistaken for a DVD movie or a book even; now with a very specific case size that wouldn't be a problem but I doubt Nintendo wants to go to any extremes for that.

Well, should probably stop rambling there, but branding I find very fascinating. It's not what it was in the '80s/'90s where every system basically had different game case sizes. Now it's mostly keep case, though with a few bold moves now and then (PS Vita's game cases are nice I think). What do you think, will Nintendo play it safe and alter the Wii U branding for game cases very little over Wii, or will they present something truly revolutionary?

Oh, and the game is of course a mockup, though it represents what I believe could become quite common on Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom