• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tehalemi

The GameFAQs GoldenEye Wii community is convinced that Wiimote beats out CCP users every time. I can learn dual analog, but IR is just too nice. The issue with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, though, is that it doesn't quite have enough buttons for a game like Call of Duty. I had to map tactical grenades to twist Wiimote + plus button, which is pretty awkward.

Interesting, the only fps type of experience that I've ever had on the Wii is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I'm even more curious how natural the Wii U gamepad will feel in my hands when I end up playing Aliens: Colonial Marines. (I can hear faintly my wallet sounding like a million voices crying out)

Nibel

Damn, so many juniors right now.

And they all wanna ride with us in the Wii U speculation thread. ;_;

iEsEE3j4ROt4P.gif

Welcome to GAF, people! Happy speculating :)
And don't get crazy about other people's opinions, that costed us too much lifes already..

AzaK

I'm not getting my hopes up about the online aspect. I just hope they do something about those ground textures. Everything else looks so good that those textures stick out like a sore thumb.

Related to this, is there any direct feed or at least high quality footage of Nintendo land? Specifically I'd like to see a good view of the hub.

usmanusb

If there are speculation that something similar like Radeon E6760 is in the WiiU then why they didn't use it in earlier dev kits when it was already available from q2 last year?

EuroMIX

I love your Angry Kirby Anniversary avatar. Someone really ought to edit the official version to have angry eyes and claim that it's the official US art.

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY!

the more the merrier.

Speed, accuracy, reaction time, all get way better for me when I use pointers to the point I'll never go back to dual analogs for anything competitive. single player or COOP the game has to be fun to play.....

Even though I don't really get on with FPS games (couldn't even fire the Electro Bolt straight in Bioshock), I'm interested in pointer controls so I've put down MW3 for rental.

And don't get crazy about other people's opinions, that costed us too much lifes already..

Thank you! It really feels like home. Being able to discuss anything Nintendo is awesome. Felt like Christmas morning when I saw my account validation e-mail message in my inbox :p

Tehalemi

-looks at avatar- <_<

...pretty sure I wouldn't fit anyway, though you do have my permission to orbit your little train of hype around me. :3

and thank you. :D

Welp, I think it's about time I start heading off to bed now amirite fellas...-slowly backs away from laptop-

ugoo18

How much do you guys feel you benefit from motion aiming in shooters? I feel more comfortable with dual analogue still, but I don't have any wiimote shooter experience outside of MP3, The Conduit, and Red Steel. Is it that noticeable?

It feels more natural and my movement/aiming is a lot faster using the Wiimote and Nunchuk vs when i use a 360 controller (PS3 controller is out of the question for me, i feel like im dislocating my thumbs anytime i use the PS3 controller for an extended period). I can adapt to DA as my main method if i have to (I've used it for most multiplat shooters this gen mainly because although i love using the mouse i can't stand the keyboard aspect :/) but i'll probably keep comparing it to the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

jerd

It feels more natural and my movement/aiming is a lot faster using the Wiimote and Nunchuk vs when i use a 360 controller (PS3 controller is out of the question for me, i feel like im dislocating my thumbs anytime i use the PS3 controller for an extended period). I can adapt to DA as my main method if i have to (I've used it for most multiplat shooters this gen mainly because although i love using the mouse i can't stand the keyboard aspect :/) but i'll probably keep comparing it to the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

I suppose I should give it more of a go. Unfortunately, the general perception seems to be that DA is a superior method from what I've heard (it is human nature to resist change I suppose). So even if devs do include it, there's a chance it may not be given much love and feel very phoned in.

Anyway what wii shooters would you guys recommend? Which games implement it the best? I've heard that Red Steel 2 is a huge improvement over the first.

wsippel

Banned
I have at times viewed Cell as a third line, though at other times I've seen it lumped in with PowerPC. They also have PowerEN and Blue Gene under PowerPC A2.
IBM still markets them as distinct lines. And Blue Gene is a weird case, anyway. It can be either PPC440, PPC450 or A2 based, but the chips are seemingly still custom and not fully compatible with the off the shelf equivalents. And then there are even weirder cases like the Z8 - Z8 is based on POWER7, but isn't a Power architecture chip at all.

japtor

Well, we know there is more coming- Iwata tweeted at E3 that 3rd party Japanese software would be unveiled later. Also Japan seems to work a bit different with their unveils- it isn't that uncommon for titles, even reasonably major ones, to be unveiled 3-4 months before release.

I'm not expecting megatons, but I suspect we'll see a decent amount of ported content similar to Western efforts.
We live in an age where Nintendo's CEO uses Twitter. I don't know what to expect anymore.
If it doesn't have a Wii Remote in the box, I'll eat my hat
This doesn't count.
I saw him :D

Man, the Japan expo grows bigger and bigger, the exclusive announce from Namco Bandai and now this surprise visit :) He was accompanied by Stephan Bole from Nintendo France that the journalists around here knows well, the guy is a veteran now.

look at one example of the surprised reactions of people attending to the show, like in this thread on jeuxvideo.com, with the title "OMG i saw Iwata !" lol
Did anyone ask him how many watts the PSU is?

Even just flicking the wrist in MW3 to reload, I don't want to go back to pressing a button for that.

Anyone wants a few games on Domination on MW3 just PM friend codes. Not got a mic at the mo.

ugoo18

I suppose I should give it more of a go. Unfortunately, the general perception seems to be that DA is a superior method from what I've heard (it is human nature to resist change I suppose). So even if devs do include it, there's a chance it may not be given much love and feel very phoned in.

Anyway what wii shooters would you guys recommend? Which games implement it the best? I've heard that Red Steel 2 is a huge improvement over the first.

Yep definitely Red Steel 2 (Not sure if this is true but i remember hearing that Nintendo had Retro provide some assistance for controls to Ubisoft when developing it), Goldeneye as well (The customization options are pretty good) also the Wii COD's apparently aren't too bad (Well Blops and MW3) but i haven't played them so i can't give any personal experience. RE4's use of the Wiimote is pretty good as well.

Sin and Punishment 2 is excellent with the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Whether you consider it an FPS or FPA it's Wiimote use especially in Corruption is top notch, gone are the days of tank Samus from the GCN Metroid Primes).

Yeah that's a perception i feel is inaccurate (For example i feel that the Wiimote and Nunchuk use in PES is a superior control method to DA if the time is taken to master it, it's steep learning curve puts people of it. I would love if someone took the time to create a similar control method for FIFA 12 on the PC.)

Sampei

Banned
How much do you guys feel you benefit from motion aiming in shooters? I feel more comfortable with dual analogue still, but I don't have any wiimote shooter experience outside of MP3, The Conduit, and Red Steel. Is it that noticeable?
ir pointing is great, imo the most "natural" control method for fp games; I don't find gyro pointing as easy to learn or as efficient, i.e. in Skyward Sword I constantly had to recenter and failed to see any real advantages.

ThaGuy

I will boycott the fps games that doesn't have wiimote n nunchuck support...ok maybe I'm lying, but ill be highly pissed if I don't have the option to use pointer controls. It just feels right compared 2 da.

Is there a video of ccp users vs wiimote users? I wouldn't mind watching the beating that wiimote users might give the ccp users in goldeneye or cod.

D-e-f-

Banned
Because Nintendo's really pushing two big things about the Wii-U: the GamePad and asynchronous gameplay. That second part is impossible without a Wii Remote, and if a Wii Remote is not packaged with the system, third-party developers won't use it in their games.

<smartass>it's asymmetric (different action but at the same time), not asynchronous (same action but at different times [SSX multiplayer]</smartass>

(sorry, it's a reflex)

So far they've sounded really confident that Wiimotes are so widespread that I don't see them including one. Especially after the 3DS XL move where they omit AC adapters in most territories to keep the price down. Throwing in Wiimotes would simply increase costs.

I think we want or expect them to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the box because of their lackluster E3 showing that didn't really sell most people on the system but I highly doubt that they do that when it complicates the price issue and ends up looking like a panic move that implies a lack of confidence.

I will boycott the fps games that doesn't have wiimote n nunchuck support...ok maybe I'm lying, but ill be highly pissed if I don't have the option to use pointer controls. It just feels right compared 2 da.

Is there a video of ccp users vs wiimote users? I wouldn't mind watching the beating that wiimote users might give the ccp users in goldeneye or cod.

so all of them is what you're saying?

I'm annoyed that the actual action I perform to shoot (usually pressing A or B) inevitably ends up messing up my aim slightly because the muscle movement causes the Wiimote to shift ever so mildly which affects the reticle a bit. It's not an issue in the Metroid Prime games because you're not doing precision-based shooting and lock-on is anchored in the gameplay design but for regular-ass shooters, it's less than ideal. Dual analog is slower but feels ultimately more precise to me. Also, lack of buttons and quite often gimmicky Nunchuck moves (shake to throw grenade!) are annoying as hell (I blew myself up playing The Conduit so many times because I wanted to scratch my head or shifted my body and ended up throwing a grenade)

Pittree

Since being a Junior is the flavor of the day I finally decided to jump in the discussion. IR aiming is fast and natural, and it shows. When you look at someone playing on dual analogs you can see them adjusting aim in straight lines most of the time, meanwhile using IR allows to more easily adjust in diagonal resulting in a more lifelike not robotic, and therefore intuitive experience.
I really hope developers still use IR pointing as an option on FPS games, I really don't want to get back after my last six years enjoying IR aiming and developing skills for it.

Margalis

Banned
How much do you guys feel you benefit from motion aiming in shooters?

Aiming with a pointer is not "motion aiming", it's literally aiming. As in you aim at the thing you want to hit.

The Wiimote has accelerometers and an IR pointer. People often mash those together into "motion controls" but they are completely different.

When you use a stick to control aiming you say "move the aim in this direction" - with a pointer you say "aim here." In a similar way that in a click-to-move PC game you say "move here" but in a stick-controlled game you say "move left."

Click-to-move kind of sucks for moving a character because you don't control the route, only the destination. With aiming the route doesn't matter, you simply want to aim as quickly as possible exactly where you want - which is what a pointer does.

Your wrist also has far more movement resolution than an analogue stick. You can move in a much wider range of slow and fast.

Sampei

Banned
Nunchuck moves (shake to throw grenade!) are annoying as hell (I blew myself up playing The Conduit so many times because I wanted to scratch my head or shifted my body and ended up throwing a grenade)
I feel they should have made a nunchuck plus to go along with the remote upgrade, it does get in the way when you forget to hold it completely still.

Earendil

So I seem to remember hearing about the GCN's performance being roughly doubled very near to launch. Just for the sake of curiosity, does anyone else remember this? I'm not (even close to) implying that it could happen again, I just keep thinking of this in relation to Iwata's statement that the developers are only utilizing half of the Wii U's potential.

If I recall correctly, they actually cut the clockspeeds of the CPU and GPU. How much of an effect this had on the power, I do not know.

ASIS

Also, lack of buttons and quite often gimmicky Nunchuck moves (shake to throw grenade!) are annoying as hell (I blew myself up playing The Conduit so many times because I wanted to scratch my head or shifted my body and ended up throwing a grenade)

This is exactly why I was hoping for a next gen Wiimote + nunchuck. Shaking works as well as button mashing, they are good for some situations but ultimately devs end up using it for all the wrong reasons. If Nintendo went with what I just said, imagine the possibilities. For shooters specifically, you can have the movement of the character on the analogue stick, aiming with the Wiimote, and finally looking through nunchuck motion controls. I believe it would have been the first time where you have the ability to walk, look, and aim in completely different directions. Furthermore, throwing grenades could also be mapped to motion controls, preferably on the Wiimote. The reason for that is simple. Since looking is relegated to the nunchuck, moving the Wiimote wherever you want will not cause any disruption in the gameplay, having the gernades mapped to a motion controls will allow you to estimate not only where to throw wherever you want, but also how far and with how much force.

But alas none of this is actually going to matter since this controller doesn't exist.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to all the juniors! just please behave so that you don't get banned :p.

Berg

I'm annoyed that the actual action I perform to shoot (usually pressing A or B) inevitably ends up messing up my aim slightly because the muscle movement causes the Wiimote to shift ever so mildly which affects the reticle a bit. It's not an issue in the Metroid Prime games because you're not doing precision-based shooting and lock-on is anchored in the gameplay design but for regular-ass shooters, it's less than ideal. Dual analog is slower but feels ultimately more precise to me. Also, lack of buttons and quite often gimmicky Nunchuck moves (shake to throw grenade!) are annoying as hell (I blew myself up playing The Conduit so many times because I wanted to scratch my head or shifted my body and ended up throwing a grenade)

how would you cook nades with a motion action? just remap your buttons. The only motion control I use is reload (shake nunchuck) ...which if done on accident can be canceled by pressing A to run (in cod). Also Cod and Conduit have amazing settings to prefect your aiming style. sensitivity, turn speen (horizontal-vertical), dead zone adjustments, too many to list. If you don't customize your aiming settings, your gonna have a bad time.

Edit: to add to my settings list, there is a nunchuck sensitivity setting, lower values equals harder shaking of the nunchuck.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So has there been any real concrete info on the hardware recently?

D-e-f-

Banned
how would you cook nades with a motion action? just remap your buttons. The only motion control I use is reload (shake nunchuck) ...which if done on accident can be canceled by pressing A to run (in cod). Also Cod and Conduit have amazing settings to prefect your aiming style. sensitivity, turn speen (horizontal-vertical), dead zone adjustments, too many to list. If you don't customize your aiming settings, your gonna have a bad time.

Edit: to add to my settings list, there is a nunchuck sensitivity setting, lower values equals harder shaking of the nunchuck.

The customization options don't really help with the problem I described at the beginning (pushing a button moves the pointer). Also, fiddling with all those weird settings until they work for me could take forever. I changed settings multiple times throughout my time with The Conduit which I shouldn't have to (but it's better than the alternative of bad standard-controls and no way to change anything).

That's the one thing that keeps bugging me about Wiimote aiming.

This is exactly why I was hoping for a next gen Wiimote + nunchuck. [...]

That would've been so awesome if they made it how you described it. It would be hella confusing at first and I'd expect many people to be turned off even more than they already are but conceptually this sounds fantastic!

A big problem with the whole motion control thing is though that many people simply just don't want to move their body at all, not even slight wrist movements. Most gamers who got used to playing shooters with dual sticks since Halo will never accept anything else because adapting to change requires effort. I see that with people who play PlayStation almost exclusively since the first one came out. Since the controller basically never changed since they added the sticks, they are very resistant to anything that's not a DualShock controller.

That's in part why the Wii U should be actually more acceptable in theory but I still read a lot of "controller looks huuuge whyithazscreeeen so uncomfy!"

About as concrete as random dudes on the internet can be.

So take your pick. We've gotten what I consider to be reliable info. It definitely doesn't point to a powerhouse by any stretch. Little better than current gen console GPU (in brute force) with modern features and 32MB eDram, a CPU unsuited to direct porting between current consoles and probably lacking in brute force for the coming generation, and 2 gigs of some undetermined RAM type with as little as 1.5 gigs usable for games.

Not exactly make and model numbers. But this is Nintendo. If we weren't relying on 3rd party whistle-blowers, we wouldn't know anything about their last four pieces of hardware until we opened them up.

I don't see the system as being "weak". I don't think the PS3 or 360 are weak. Limited? That's a better way to phrase it. You can still do things on them that even fifteen years ago would have been the work of fiction.

jacksrb

A little late for the NintendoLand discussion, but since a lot of the games are multiplayer, I could see them bundling it with a pro controller or something, making it even more desirable. Though I would prefer it to be pack in, and might not get it (right away) if it's not.

I think that it wouldn't make any sense to pack a pro-controller with NintendoLand since all the games we have seen are Gamepad and Wiimotes. Maybe a WiiUmote plus though.

Has there ever been any real concrete info on the hardware? :)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
About as concrete as random dudes on the internet can be.

So take your pick. We've gotten what I consider to be reliable info. It definitely doesn't point to a powerhouse by any stretch. Little better than current gen console GPU (in brute force) with modern features and 32MB eDram, a CPU unsuited to direct porting between current consoles and probably lacking in brute force for the coming generation, and 2 gigs of some undetermined RAM type with as little as 1.5 gigs usable for games.

Not exactly make and model numbers. But this is Nintendo. If we weren't relying on 3rd party whistle-blowers, we wouldn't know anything about their last four pieces of hardware until we opened them up.

I don't see the system as being "weak". I don't think the PS3 or 360 are weak. Limited? That's a better way to phrase it. You can still do things on them that even fifteen years ago would have been the work of fiction.

So really. It's going to be all about the pad and the innovation it brings to gameplay to really differentiate the console to the current bunch.

Donnie

If I recall correctly, they actually cut the clockspeeds of the CPU and GPU. How much of an effect this had on the power, I do not know.

Not quite, they cut the speed of the GPU from 200Mhz to 162Mhz but they increased the speed of the CPU from 400Mhz to 486Mhz.

So really. It's going to be all about the pad and the innovation it brings to gameplay to really differentiate the console to the current bunch.

Well... very much like the Wii it's not like it's exactly weak.

If you put the time and money into it you'll get great stuff.

But... hah. Yeah. We're probably going to be getting something closer to a Wii situation on the software front.

AC3 launching so close on WiiU could give that series a base on the system... but most western devs don't even seem to think it's worth the porting costs. If WiiU ends up with GTAV and Watch_Dogs I'll be shocked is what I'm saying.

So other avenues of gaming will likely be necessary for my eclectic gaming tastes.

sgrrsh26

Neo Member
I'm really hoping Nintendo pulls it off this gen. Having been an owner of all previous nintendo consoles aside from the Wii I would love to give them my money this gen. I just can't look back and justify the expense of my ps3 and 360 compared to the small amount of games I actually enjoyed on them. If Nintendo can hold onto third parties that the 720/ps4 can offer, coupled with the community features (game walls ala facebook- ingenious) I'll be happy to call myself a Nintendo guy again.

If there are speculation that something similar like Radeon E6760 is in the WiiU then why they didn't use it in earlier dev kits when it was already available from q2 last year?

There's been alot of talk about the e6760 lately, but I think people are misunderstanding the point people like myself and bg were trying to make with it. Look at it as merely an example of a low power embedded solution utilizing AMD's current technology (well, current as of last year). It demonstrates what type of performance and TDP AMD are capable of achieving in a graphics chip.

A decent guess as to why they wouldn't use it in dev kits despite the identical floating point numbers is that Nintendo plan on sticking with the 640:32:16 core configuration of the 4830 in the dev kits. And with the recent power brick revelatons, I've adjusted my predictions in that I believe it will be clocked closer to 500 Mhz than 600 Mhz, but we'll see. I'd love to be wrong on that.

Mithos

Gold Member

They changed from 405Mhz CPU and 200-205Mhz GPU to 485Mhz CPU and 162Mhz GPU, to balance it out.

JordanN

Banned
a CPU unsuited to direct porting between current consoles and probably lacking in brute force for the coming generation,
I'm sorry but this seems unbelievably fake. This information would fly in the face of devs who said porting PS3/360 games was incredibly easy. We also had Shinen confirm the console can support thousands of animated objects on screen that are rendered twice (one for the TV other for the gamepad). Not exactly something suited for a weak bound CPU.

I can't come to terms Nintendo has supposedly made the GPU the burden for porting considering it would be a highly unprecedented move and highly unnecessary.

He was talking about the devkit story.
They changed from 405Mhz CPU and 200-205Mhz GPU to 485Mhz CPU and 162Mhz GPU, to balance it out.
Also because of RAM clockspeed.

Now, nobody knows for sure what it was before, but sinal spec was clocked at 1/3 of the CPU speed just like the GPU (485/3=162 MHz) before it was supposed to be half speed, 405/2=
202.5; I'm pretty sure at that point it would have been single data rate (SDR) instead of DDR even if the GPU was faster it would be starved compared to the end configuration. GC was a texturing beast, that's how it managed to get those polygons per second at launch (in Rogue Squadron II) raw polygon throughput wasn't that high for it, it just didn't have the same hit texturing them; being able to pass more than a texture per pipeline clock also helped monstrously.

Final 1T-SRAM was 162 MHz, or rather, DDR @ 324 MHz; Xbox had DDR @ 200 MHz; DDR @ 400 didn't exist yet (at least in quantity) something DDR was already high end as fuck, let alone something surpassing the 266 MHz barrier (133x2).

And bandwidth did wonders for Gamecube, so I'm betting it was a good tradeoff. CPU also had to do stuff like vertex calculations, so a little overhead was probably not a bad thing too.
I can't come to terms Nintendo has supposedly made the GPU the burden for porting considering it would be a highly unprecedented move and highly unnecessary.
I also think even if that wasn't that at stake there would be some degree of prejudice just the same.

Lots of devs had shader to tev converters, the rest was easy enough to do, they just didn't want to go there.

Donnie

I'm sorry but this seems unbelievably fake. This information would fly in the face of devs who said porting PS3/360 games was incredibly easy. We also had Shinen confirm the console can support thousands of objects on screen while supporting two gamepad controllers. Not exactly something suited for a weak bound CPU.

Being unsuited to direct porting from current gen consoles doesn't necessarily equal being weak, just different.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
With Nintendo's corporate philosophy to not talk about specs, I sometimes wonder exactly what kind of questions about the hardware in Wii U you could send via this form. I wonder for example if you pretended to be some casual player that is really into good graphics and asked if Wii U was more powerful than Wii, what would they answer? Or, you could ask if Wii U was something similar to OnLive/cloud solution and featured only low-end hardware. At some point wouldn't they just give up over all silliness?

I find it strange that they supplied even less information about the hardware this year than in 2011. Sure, Nintendo didn't speak much about the CPU or GPU, but IBM and AMD did. This year, we only got a very basic hardware fact sheet:

CPU: IBM Power&#9415;-based multi-core processor.
GPU: AMD Radeon&#8482;-based High Definition GPU.
What's the point of even writing that? It tells basically nothing, even Xbox is capable of outputting 720p (which is obviously regarded as HD enough by Nintendo).

Ah well, there's room for some hardware news this month. The calendar is as following:

IBM 2Q 2012 Earnings Announcement
18th of July

Q2 2012 Advanced Micro Devices Earnings Conference Call
19th of July

Q1 2012 Nintendo Earnings Release
25th of July

Nintendo's meeting is bound to offer some new information about Wii U, either through the presentation or the Q&A session. With AMD and IBM, it's more difficult. I haven't heard any mention of Wii U in any meetings this year, and I've even reached out to some companies to ask. Of course, they've gotta follow their own agendas, but even a single quote would be very nice. I'll see what I can do though.

And there's also that EA event where sports titles are to be announced/shown for Wii U. It'd be hilarious, and appalling, if these titles would end up looking worse than their PS3/Xbox 360 counterparts. And as it's Electronic Arts, you never know what is brewing. Let's hope though that these titles are worthwhile.

Also, I'm very eager to know who will be manufacturing the RAM in Wii U. With MoSys out of the picture, who could it be, Fujitsu perhaps?

Sampei

Banned
I've only been activated about a week though

Oh well, I'm not complaining
I remember ideaman agonizing about becoming a member to make a thread with stuff he'd been teasing the wust, then a day before a random dude leaks the new gamepad on twitter...freakin hilarious.

Roo

If WiiU ends up with GTAV and Watch_Dogs I'll be shocked is what I'm saying.

imo, since Watch_Dogs is a new IP, we have more chances to see a Wii U version. Besides, Ubisoft seems to be very supportive to Nintendo, so there's a chance
I won't hold my breath for GTAV tho. If it comes to Wii Uthen yeah.. amen I'll buy it but if it doesn't.. well, I wouldn't be surprised at all

Rösti;39639240 said:
With Nintendo's corporate philosophy to not talk about specs, I sometimes wonder exactly what kind of questions about the hardware in Wii U you could send via this form. I wonder for example if you pretended to be some casual player that is really into good graphics and asked if Wii U was more powerful than Wii, what would they answer? Or, you could ask if Wii U was something similar to OnLive/cloud solution and featured only low-end hardware. At some point wouldn't they just give up over all silliness?

I find it strange that they supplied even less information about the hardware this year than in 2011. Sure, Nintendo didn't speak much about the CPU or GPU, but IBM and AMD did. This year, we only got a very basic hardware fact sheet:

What's the point of even writing that? It tells basically nothing, even Xbox is capable of outputting 720p (which is obviously regarded as HD enough by Nintendo).

Ah well, there's room for some hardware news this month. The calendar is as following:

IBM 2Q 2012 Earnings Announcement
18th of July

Q2 2012 Advanced Micro Devices Earnings Conference Call
19th of July

Q1 2012 Nintendo Earnings Release
25th of July

Nintendo's meeting is bound to offer some new information about Wii U, either through the presentation or the Q&A session. With AMD and IBM, it's more difficult. I haven't heard any mention of Wii U in any meetings this year, and I've even reached out to some companies to ask. Of course, they've gotta follow their own agendas, but even a single quote would be very nice. I'll see what I can do though.

And there's also that EA event where sports titles are to be announced/shown for Wii U. It'd be hilarious, and appalling, if these titles would end up looking worse than their PS3/Xbox 360 counterparts. And as it's Electronic Arts, you never know what is brewing. Let's hope though that these titles are worthwhile.

Also, I'm very eager to know who will be manufacturing the RAM in Wii U. With MoSys out of the picture, who could it be, Fujitsu perhaps?

I'm a little more interested in the CPU, if it is underclocked, how much so and what other factors besides a nice GPU will make up for it? The GPU will hold a lot of similarities to the Radeon E6760 but the CPU is the question in my mind.....

Donnie

Also because of RAM clockspeed.

Now, nobody knows for sure what it was before, but sinal spec was clocked at 1/3 of the CPU speed just like the GPU (485/3=162 MHz) before it was supposed to be half speed, 405/2=
202.5; I'm pretty sure at that point it would have been single data rate (SDR) instead of DDR even if the GPU was faster it would be starved compared to the end configuration. GC was a texturing beast, that's how it managed to get those polygons per second at launch (in Rogue Squadron II) raw polygon throughput wasn't that high for it, it just didn't have the same hit texturing them; being able to pass more than a texture per pipeline clock also helped monstrously.

Final 1T-SRAM was 162 MHz, or rather, DDR @ 324 MHz; Xbox had DDR @ 200 MHz; DDR @ 400 didn't exist yet (at least in quantity) something DDR was already high end as fuck, let alone something surpassing the 266 MHz barrier (133x2).

And bandwidth did wonders for Gamecube, so I'm betting it was a good tradeoff. CPU also had to do stuff like vertex calculations, so a little overhead was probably not a bad thing too.I also think even if that wasn't that at stake there would be some degree of prejudice just the same.

Lots of devs had shader to tev converters, the rest was easy enough to do, they just didn't want to go there.

Flipper was the central chip in GameCube, so every other part in there ran at a multiple of Flippers clock speed. Before Flipper was down clocked the main memory would have been 400Mhz, using the same 2x clock multiplier as the CPU. When they down clocked Flipper they left the RAM multiplier at 2x which dropped the RAM frequency to 324Mhz but they changed the CPU's multiplier to 3x which increased its frequency to 486Mhz.

Also technically speaking GameCube's 24MB of 1T-Sram is SDR rather than DDR, its just clocked at twice the speed of the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom