• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
That aside unless there's exclusive titles I'm not sure if we can expect a lot, given that most companies are probably preparing for 720/PS4. There probably are not too many projects for current gen consoles left (except for maybe the unwanted and rumored FF XIII-2), are there ?

Well, I do think things are going to be different for many Japanese companies as compared to the West. Maybe not for SE or perhaps Capcom, but I am very skeptical many Japanese 3rd parties are going to want to invest in entirely new engines for consoles. That is why I am somewhat more optimistic about Japanese support. It is a completely different ballgame than in the West. Nintendo has a lot better relationships with 3rd parties than in the West, and is in a lot better position.

Obviously I'm basically just guessing since the only Japanese 3rd party game announced in a year has been Tanks.

Roo

$299 Launch with Game Pad
- No wiimote
- No Pack-In-Game

Nintendo Land and NSMBU retail launch games. Both will sell bucketloads. Maybe Nintendo sneaks one more first-party game (Sing?).

are those your guesses or you know something about it?
I'm asking because I've read you knew about a lot of Wii U stuff before.

Anyway... I know there's like 200 million Wiimotes out there
but I don't see how Nintendo is expecting the wiimote (let alone the nunckuk) to be supported by third parties if they don't include it in the box.

Ryoku

Serious question, why would that spec be fake? Are most OOO CPUs clocked lower?

Because it's out-of-order, it doesn't necessarily have to have a high clock speed since it can do more instructions per clock cycle than an in-order execution CPU. This may be done in order to reduce heat. I don't know about what clockspeed Wii U's OoO CPU may need in order to outclass a Xenos, but I can say that similarly clocked (with a great instructions per clock cycle), the out-of-order CPU will blow Xenos away.

Meelow

Banned
BCtdj.jpg

Medium.

ugoo18

are those your guesses or you know something about it?
I'm asking because I've read you knew about a lot of Wii U stuff before.

Anyway... I know there's like 200 million Wiimotes out there
but I don't see how Nintendo is expecting the wiimote (let alone the nunckuk) to be supported by third parties if they don't include it in the box.

Honestly feel that we will be lucky if 3rd parties actually even support the Wiimote next gen.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, Nibris the original developers of Sadness merged with Blooper Team which are the devs of Medium.

...which makes everyone immediately ROFL and then dismiss the game entirely 'cause it's safer to assume it'll never materialize. (hopefully this time it does)

Roo

Honestly feel that we will be lucky if 3rd parties actually even support the Wiimote next gen.

Meh..
I think you're right
before E3 it was like... well, they don't have any choice. The system only supports one gamepad and there's not other option to play multiplayer than wiimotes. But now
the system supports two gamepads AND Nintendo introduced the Wii U Classic Controller Pro which to be honest is a 360 controller clone that all developers love.

RIP Wiimote :(

ugoo18

Meh..
I think you're right
before E3 it was like... well, they don't have any choice. The system only supports one gamepad and there's not other option to play multiplayer than wiimotes. But now
the system supports two gamepads AND Nintendo introduced the Wii U Classic Controller Pro which to be honest is a 360 controller clone that all developers love.

RIP Wiimote :(

*sigh* back to DA shooters then

jacksrb

$299 Launch with Game Pad
- No wiimote
- No Pack-In-Game

Nintendo Land and NSMBU retail launch games. Both will sell bucketloads. Maybe Nintendo sneaks one more first-party game (Sing?).

Always interested to see your input.

I just looked up that the original Wii price and launch was finalized on September 14, 2006 p which was a Thursday. Not that that they will do the same this year.

Serious question, why would that spec be fake? Are most OOO CPUs clocked lower?

3.4GHz Out-of-order cpus have existed in the consumer market since at least early 2004.

(granted, those particular cpus would be a terrible fit here, but the discussion is about whether this sort of thing is possible in general in a consumer market)

HylianTom

Banned
Always interested to see your input.

I just looked up that the original Wii price and launch was finalized on September 14, 2006 p which was a Thursday. Not that that they will do the same this year.
I'm hoping against hope that we get more heads-up time this time around; learning details during August's Nintendo Direct would be fantastic.. and improbable.

Whatever, but I'm hoping we see plenty of games on the U with similar thinking in art style. I want to see art in motion, I don't want the WiiU hardware to be a waste ground for pseudo-realism tripe like some other consoles.

*sigh* back to DA shooters then

Anyone who's played a FPS/FPA on the Wii should know just how good it is and be petitioning for Wiimote support. I could never go back to the linear up/down left/right of DA for FPS/FPA games... fuck... off...

Banned
3.4GHz Out-of-order cpus have existed in the consumer market since at least early 2004.

(granted, those particular cpus would be a terrible fit here, but the discussion is about whether this sort of thing is possible in general in a consumer market)

Mainly fake because of what BG said with Nintendo being concerned for heat output. Nintendo wants the GPU to do the bulk of the work, so Nintendo was aiming for a low CPU clock. That's why it's fake. I guess I worded it wrong. If Nintendo put in a 3.4GHz tri-core OoO CPU in the Wii U, then there wouldn't be any complaints about the CPU inside the U.

Mainly fake because of what BG said with Nintendo being concerned for heat output. Nintendo wants the GPU to do the bulk of the work, so Nintendo was aiming for a low CPU clock. That's why it's fake. I guess I worded it wrong. If Nintendo put in a 3.4GHz tri-core OoO CPU in the Wii U, then there wouldn't be any complaints about the CPU inside the U.

As far as I know, there are none... on record.

Ignoring me won't make me go away.

Why would anyone want you to go away...

http://i.minus.com/i1OVIdldNR3MK.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh... Monkey envy?

[quote="Sheroking, post: 39597565"]Did somebody say new users?
I come bearing figs and tequila.[/QUOTE]

Monkeys! Monkeys everywhere!
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NES4J.gif

Yeah, it's coming to the Wii U (as well as others).

:O So beauti...

The developers of Sadness is making this.

*sobs*

nordique

Everyone get your salt shakers out....

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/07/wii-u-specs-rumors-resurface/

3.4GHz on an out of order CPU? Lol.....fake

Looks like it could be an old devekit spec sheet or something ("approximate CPU" before final CPU was ready; which could be lower clocked and still have similar theoretical output) though this would jive with early rumours that the first round of Wii U devkits had "a slightly faster 360 CPU" or something along those lines.

Still, this site is about as legit as a tabloid paper. I mean, this is the same site that claimed the Wii has outsold the 360 and PS3 combined...........with some people frequenting the site (and thus potentially reporting news tips) convinced its even outsold the PS1 after looking into "the facts"

Hello everyone. Another new Junior Member here. I've been lurking through the WUST for a while already and I just got approved! I really like the community here, it feels like home being here around Nintendo fans, specially when everyone where I live is mostly into PS360. I was hooked to these threads since I started lurking.
I own all three consoles but Nintendo will always have that special place... which most people I know in person have already let go.

Since I'm finally able to post.. I just wanted to add to the discussion, maybe a little off topic. But, I don't know if someone else feel's the same about NintendoLand and Nintendo's E3 anymore? I'm actually starting to think that NintendoLand will be a good game (if packed in) at launch, and will make WiiU fly off the shelves this holiday. A month ago I would not be able to say this but I think everything will be alright. On the meantime, I'm having a great time with my 3DS (Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D bundle edition).

I am really looking forward to discuss the Wii U launch with all of you.

Pineconn

3 GB memory for dev kits, 1.5 GB of memory for retail consoles

This is what stood out to me. If this rumor is remotely true, is this a typical thing for hardware developers to do? I'd understand if Nintendo were still deciding how much RAM they wanted to include in Wii U; however, I can foresee issues if software devs utilized more RAM than what will be in the actual console.

Still, this site is about as legit as a tabloid paper.

Agreed. It really reminds me of that banned Nintendo site (which I visit daily, RMC!), but much worse. Heck, even the bottom of the specs article says, "Thanks for the tip, Ricky!" Seems like I can tip them just about anything and they'll post it. Ah well, anything to increase ad revenue...

JordanN

Banned
This is what stood out to me. If this rumor is remotely true, is this a typical thing for hardware developers to do? I'd understand if Nintendo were still deciding how much RAM they wanted to include in Wii U; however, I can foresee issues if software devs utilized more RAM than what will be in the actual console.
Extra RAM is usually for debugging purposes only with some exceptions (ex:3DS, Xbox 360).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Since I'm finally able to post.. I just wanted to add to the discussion, maybe a little off topic. But, I don't know if someone else feel's the same about NintendoLand and Nintendo's E3 anymore? I'm actually starting to think that NintendoLand will be a good game (if packed in) at launch, and will make WiiU fly off the shelves this holiday. A month ago I would not be able to say this but I think everything will be alright. On the meantime, I'm having a great time with my 3DS (Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D bundle edition).

I am really looking forward to discuss the Wii U launch with all of you.

Just like any large corporation, readers should also not gauge the potential of a product based on a niche and volatile emotional collection of responses from web forums. You can read 10 posts back to back about how someone "is tired of mini-games" or "how Nintendo Land should be a free pack in", all because they are upset that F-Zero GX3 or Metroid Dread Prime weren't announced with beautifully gorgeous trailers.

But the truth is Nintendo Land might be one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had. The game is essentially fusing the gameplay of Mario Party and Wii Play. Also adding the cosmetic and nostalgic appeal of a Smash Bros game in to one giant party game. It is about as commercially sound as any new product Nintendo could have come up with. It is a guaranteed retail success. Thus, ultimately if the scenario of it being a "pack-in" happened (which is foolish), you are going to be paying $50.00 extra for the hardware. That game will not be free mate. Heck, Wii Sports wasn't free. You paid the $50.00 for it.

Nintendo Land should be a pack-in game. Yes, I know they can sell it as a standalone game, and I'm not spelling doom [if they don't include it with the console]; but I'm highlighting that first off, the public perception of the $300 value for the platform includes the game, second, Wii Sports wasn't supposed to be included at first either (the console was originally going to cost $199) but pressure from retailers for a higher pricepoint made Nintendo make that "offering".

And it proved to be a stroke of genius. Since then, they tried to include software with their platforms, 3DS had the Mii RPG, the AR games and Face Raiders. If they want to sell this experience they ought to include that one.

Specially since otherwise Game & Wario will be competing for the same userbase too.

Nintendo Land has the capability of acting as a trojan horse for Nintendo IP, since it's featured just like in Super Smash Bros, randomly themed, people will get curious and perhaps get interested in a Luigi's Mansion game (by far the best game in there so far), Animal Crossing, Zelda, Metroid, etc.

Also, they could even tether the whole a "game of this IP came out, do you want to download the demo", for the Nintendo Land; kinda like how Smash Bros Brawl did it with some VC games but integrated with their online service.

Pineconn

I'm expecting:

$250/$300 standalone, or
$300/$350 with Nintendo Land.

I'm still a bit wishy-washy on the $50 difference I have in each scenario. Some days I'll wake up saying $250 for just the console and GamePad, and other days I'll say $300. Oh, and yeah, there is no way a Wiimote will be included.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo Land should be a pack-in game. Yes, I know they can sell it as a standalone game, and I'm not spelling doom; but I'm highlighting that first off, the public perception of the $300 value for the platform includes the game, second, Wii Sports wasn't supposed to be included at first either (the console was originally going to cost $199) but pressure from retailers for a higher pricepoint made Nintendo make that "offering".

And it proved to be a stroke of genius. Since then, they tried to include software with their platforms, 3DS had the Mii RPG, the AR games and Face Raiders. If they want to sell this experience they ought to include that one.

Specially since otherwise Game & Wario will be competing for the same userbase too.

The Wii U will have internal software just like the 3DS. Patents seem to link that it will have some apps and some simple family games like chess, checkers, go, that can be played on the console or on the tablet (also shown on the demo video).

But Nintendo Land is a different beast. Where Wii Sports had no marketable IP and was rather lower budget. AR Games and Face Raiders were even lower on the totem poll. Nintendo Land is a real marketable product unlike the above. It would be smarter for Nitendo to sell the system for $249.99 without the game, and count on the high software tie ratio, than Nintendo selling it for $299.99 with the game. Forum analysts were also swearing that Pilotwings Resort would be a pack-in with the 3DS system all just because Nintendo packed in Wii Sports once upon a time.

Game & Wario isn't being released in the same time frame, and the Wario franchise has proven it does mediocre steady numbers. But the real genius would be including demos on the system. That actually works the idea of previewing a product, and selling it.

I hope you like hats. Why should it have one? You can play perfectly without one. It's necessary for multiplayer, but they didn't give you two remotes with the wii.

Because Nintendo's really pushing two big things about the Wii-U: the GamePad and asynchronous gameplay. That second part is impossible without a Wii Remote, and if a Wii Remote is not packaged with the system, third-party developers won't use it in their games.

And no you can't play perfectly without one, it's not just for multiplayer - Nintendo's idea is that just as many games will require Wii Remote as will require Gamepad. They aren't throwing away the audience they gained with the Wii at all, motion detection is still just as important to Nintendo.

Banned
Because Nintendo's really pushing two big things about the Wii-U: the GamePad and asynchronous gameplay. That second part is impossible without a Wii Remote, and if a Wii Remote is not packaged with the system, third-party developers won't use it in their games.

And no you can't play perfectly without one, it's not just for multiplayer - Nintendo's idea is that just as many games will require Wii Remote as will require Gamepad. They aren't throwing away the audience they gained with the Wii at all, motion detection is still just as important to Nintendo.
There are over 200 million wii remotes sold worldwide. I'm sure people upgrading to Wii U won't need it. If new gamers who skipped the Wii want one, they can pay $40 for it.

There are over 200 million wii remotes sold worldwide. I'm sure people upgrading to Wii U won't need it. If new gamers who skipped the Wii want one, they can pay $40 for it.

This is true, but unfortunately third-party publishers don't think that way. They'll see no Wii-Remote packed with the system, and thus won't support it, as an optional peripheral.

And is your 200 million number Motion+ remotes?

This is true, but unfortunately third-party publishers don't think that way. They'll see no Wii-Remote packed with the system, and thus won't support it, as an optional peripheral.

And is your 200 million number Motion+ remotes?

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I really want them to pack in a Wii Remote because I only have one with Motion + which is the one that came with Skyward Sword. My other three Wii Remotes are just regular wiimotes. I'd love to have 2 wii motion + remotes and a GamePad.

jacksrb

The Wii U will have internal software just like the 3DS. Patents seem to link that it will have some apps and some simple family games like chess, checkers, go, that can be played on the console or on the tablet (also shown on the demo video).

I have been wondering about this too. Like the 3DS, I expect some apps installed on the system. I was thinking definitely some tablet only games - like Othello that they showed last year in the video reel.

And speaking of demos, I would be suprised (with joy) if they has preloaded any on the system. However, being able to download demos in general is one of the things I really missed on the Wii relative to the PS360.

Shikamaru Ninja, any thoughts on how Nintendo will incentivise people to take Wii U online, since MiiVerse and eShop are such a big push for them?

Just like any large corporation, readers should also not gauge the potential of a product based on a niche and volatile emotional collection of responses from web forums. You can read 10 posts back to back about how someone "is tired of mini-games" or "how Nintendo Land should be a free pack in", all because they are upset that F-Zero GX3 or Metroid Dread Prime weren't announced with beautifully gorgeous trailers.

But the truth is Nintendo Land might be one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had. The game is essentially fusing the gameplay of Mario Party and Wii Play. Also adding the cosmetic and nostalgic appeal of a Smash Bros game in to one giant party game. It is about as commercially sound as any new product Nintendo could have come up with. It is a guaranteed retail success. Thus, ultimately if the scenario of it being a "pack-in" happened (which is foolish), you are going to be paying $50.00 extra for the hardware. That game will not be free mate. Heck, Wii Sports wasn't free. You paid the $50.00 for it.

I totally agree with you. I think I need Nintendo to FORCE me to buy NintendoLand by being a pack-in game. I don't care if I need to pay for it. I know I will enjoy it. The thing is I am not sure if I'll pay for it if sold separately instead of getting another retail game.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

1341679750.jpg

picture courtesy of NM and their twitter link in the article

I saw him :D

Man, the Japan expo grows bigger and bigger, the exclusive announce from Namco Bandai and now this surprise visit :) He was accompanied by Stephan Bole from Nintendo France that the journalists around here knows well, the guy is a veteran now.

look at one example of the surprised reactions of people attending to the show, like in this thread on jeuxvideo.com, with the title "OMG i saw Iwata !" lol

big_erk

I hope you like hats. Why should it have one? You can play perfectly without one. It's necessary for multiplayer, but they didn't give you two remotes with the wii.

I think they should release 2 skus. One with the Wii remote and Nunchuck, and one with the Classic Controller Pro. Both would include the WiiU pad and console and a pack in game.

I find it too little.

It's like saying PC comes with minesweeper, no one will buy it for that, but people were buying wii for the built-in demo, that's what Nintendo should try to replicate.

I know it can sell as a standalone game, but I think it's impact could be way better if standard.
But Nintendo Land is a different beast. Where Wii Sports had no marketable IP and was rather lower budget. AR Games and Face Raiders were even lower on the totem poll. Nintendo Land is a real marketable product unlike the above. It would be smarter for Nitendo to sell the system for $249.99 without the game, and count on the high software tie ratio, than Nintendo selling it for $299.99 with the game. Forum analysts were also swearing that Pilotwings Resort would be a pack-in with the 3DS system all just because Nintendo packed in Wii Sports once upon a time.
I disagree. Nintendo Land is fine as a pack-in game, but if it isn't then I (and most people) will be a little more critical about it. First off, it *should* have online (and since we've heard nothing of it I'm betting on the no); second what's the real lenght of the games? I've played various Luigi's Ghost Mansion takes, and the level was always the same, there wasn't a self-generated level of sorts, or some mutations to it; I also though that if it didn't have online it should have computer AI (best case scenario both), but I didn't see options for it. Animal Crossing also seemed to be always the same level, as did Zelda; and Takamaru's Ninja Castle was technically done better on Game & wario (the whole aim and shoot mechanics).

On the 3DS no one really expected pilotwings to be built-in. Plus Nintendo was always clear with the 3DS regarding the pre-loaded software. I remember testing it before launch too, and pilotwings was a separate game, unlike the aforementioned.
Game & Wario isn't being released in the same time frame, and the Wario franchise has proven it does mediocre steady numbers. But the real genius would be including demos on the system. That actually works the idea of previewing a product, and selling it.
Didn't know it was delayed, but kinda figured it would be. The reason is obvious: because it competes with Nintendo Land.

It's kinda obscure for a IP, yes.
I think they should release 2 skus. One with the Wii remote and Nunchuck, and one with the Classic Controller Pro. Both would include the WiiU pad and console and a pack in game.
That would generate confusion; Nintendo is all about one SKU for all; all they'll change is the color.

Plus, you'll be lucky if they include the AC adapter :p

Pineconn

I never thought about multiple SKUs. I'd be all for one with just the GamePad and another with the GamePad, a Wiimote, and Nintendo Land. Or something of the sort.

I wonder if/when they produce a "hardcore" bundle with the GamePad, Pro Controller, and either additional flash memory or a sizable HDD.

I was hoping this wouldn't have been linked here. Now it's going to get unnecessary hits.
And now you brought it to a new forum page :p

(I reckon some of you guys have the forum configured for 100 posts, but jumping page on the 50th post makes yours the first on a new page for me, and unlogged people)

I'm kinda hoping nobody bites.

Roo

I totally agree with you. I think I need Nintendo to FORCE me to buy NintendoLand by being a pack-in game. I don't care if I need to pay for it. I know I will enjoy it. The thing is I am not sure if I'll pay for it if sold separately instead of getting another retail game.

I feel the same
I'm totally fine paying for the game if it's included with the console
so far it looks fun and well done. Giving it a try wouldn't do any harm just like I did with Wii Sports
But I just can't see myself paying for it as a retail game. It is just not my cup of tea

Hoodbury

Same, except I know I wouldn't pay for it if it was a stand alone game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom