• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comandr

This insane theory predates now by more than half a decade. In fact, when Nintendo originally sold them off, some people were saying stuff like "They'll just buy them back at a much lower price once Microsoft runs them into the ground and pocket the profits. Nintendo is brilliant as always!"

I can agree with this. Let the record state that I would personally love Rare to come back. Rare made amazing stuff with Nintendo. End of story. There's a documentary floating around on youtube about Rare. It's about 40 or so minutes. Pretty good. Though it does go into detail on how many of the key members are no longer with Rare and might not even be in the business any more.

Even if Rare came back and just made one more true Banjo game for the Wii U, I'd buy five copies just to help offset the purchase of an entire company. Banjo was the perfect brother to Mario 64. Great platforming, great music, hilarious characters and situations, unique gameplay hooks. (The only way you can reach the last boss is by playing a deadly quiz game over a moat of lava, where the answers are sprinkled throughout the game and you actually had to pay attention? I love it.) Even the mysterious eggs, keys, cheato books, -- there was so much to explore and discover, it always felt like there might be one more thing around the corner, and you just wanted to keep looking. That in my opinion is what creates a tremendous experience. The DESIRE to keep playing for the enjoyment of playing. not just "I have to run as fast as I can to get the star so I can go to the next level and get that star."

/endrant

In the end, love 'em or hate 'em, if Nintendo can scrape Rare out of some dusty Microsoft bargain bin, I say more power to them. For Nintendo fans, only good can come out of an acquisition like that, period.

Turok 2 and Rogue Squadron are two others I'll confirm. Probably all the other games that utilized the expansion pack too.
Majora Mask was still 320x240 despite needing the expansion pack. It's not that linear, it was just more RAM after all.

List of 640x480 N64 games:

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Hybrid Heaven
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 2
Star Wars Episode I - Battle for Naboo
Star Wars Episode I - Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
World Driver Championship

I believe that is complete.

Pineconn

While Banjo-Kazooie is a great game, I think Banjo-Tooie just blows it out of the water. This game has some of my favorite game areas ever, such as Grunty Industries. Heck,
Lanayru Mining Facility
of Skyward Sword is probably one of my favorite dungeons because it reminds me of Grunty Industries so much.

I'd love to see a proper Banjo-Kazooie game again, but the current Rare simply cannot do it. Retro + Nintendo on Wii U, however....

I can agree with this. Let the record state that I would personally love Rare to come back. Rare made amazing stuff with Nintendo. End of story.

Even if Rare came back and just made one more true Banjo game for the Wii U

In the end, love 'em or hate 'em, if Nintendo can scrape Rare out of some dusty Microsoft bargain bin, I say more power to them. For Nintendo fans, only good can come out of an acquisition like that, period.

I would like to point out (though it was pointed out earlier) that it is likely that all or almost all the programmers and artists who worked on the last N64 Banjo game are no longer with the company. Nintendo would be purchasing just the B-K logo and rights to the characters and not the actual talent that made the games. They left. They're gone. It doesn't mean that they Rare doesn't have good workers there now, but they're not the original Banjo Kazooie workers. Nintendo might as well buy just the name then farm the game out to Gabe Newell or something.

That said, I won't complain if Nintendo were to buy Rare then buy Crytek UK then sort of mash them together again so we could get some decent first person shooters again

Comandr

Well, whatever happens, whoever buys who, I hope that the industry as we know it can keep going for a little while longer. Because as it stands, with over a hundred studios closed this generation, and the development costs of next gen only going up, it's looking grim. I'm afraid that devs are going to get cold feet and won't invest the same time, money, and effort into creating big, new, incredible experiences and will instead go the casual route. I really hope we don't see an advent of gimmicky games or in-game cash-ins.

Cloud: EMERAL WEPIN Y U SO HARD.
SE: For only two dollars you could buy this armlet that halves all incoming damage~
And for only FIVE dollars you could
BRING AERIS BACK. O_O

I really think this next gen, Gen 8, might be the last one as we know it now. Sad face forever.

prag16

Banned
Majora Mask was still 320x240 despite needing the expansion pack. It's not that linear, it was just more RAM after all.

List of 640x480 N64 games:

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Hybrid Heaven
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 2
Star Wars Episode I - Battle for Naboo
Star Wars Episode I - Racer
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
World Driver Championship

I believe that is complete.

That's missing all the Acclaim sports games (e.g. QB Club, All-Star Baseball, etc). Otherwise that list looks pretty good; can't think of any others off hand.

Well, whatever happens, whoever buys who, I hope that the industry as we know it can keep going for a little while longer. Because as it stands, with over a hundred studios closed this generation, and the development costs of next gen only going up, it's looking grim. I'm afraid that devs are going to get cold feet and won't invest the same time, money, and effort into creating big, new, incredible experiences and will instead go the casual route. I really hope we don't see an advent of gimmicky games or in-game cash-ins.

SE: For only two dollars you could buy this armlet that halves all incoming damage~
BRING AERIS BACK. O_O

I really think this next gen, Gen 8, might be the last one as we know it now. Sad face forever.

It's a correction, I think. Companies decided, en masse, that it would be healthy for the industry to dramatically increase both cost of production and end user pricing of their product. Right now, there's this bizarre idea that in order to have a successful game, you have to either
(A) make it a giant supergame that cost tens of millions of dollars to produce
or (B) make it a really simple fifty cent cell phone game.

The industry will survive just fine as long as companies gradually come to the realization that there's a middle ground where you can make really good games that aren't based on Hollywood values and funding levels and are both widely accessible and substantial in depth. There is an audience for this.

…Granted, that's not to say that there aren't games that are in the middle area; there are. There are a lot of them, in fact. But they've definitely been treated more as an afterthought than as a primary thrust into the market over much of the past decade.

imho.

ASIS

BRING AERIS BACK. O_O

People always bring up the closed studios, but what about the studios that debuted this generation? Surely this will bring better judgement about things. Also, the economical crisis that happened a few years ago should be taken in to account. The world economy may not be stable yet, but its a much lesser threat than it was this generation no?

Comandr

I have a feeling that gamers have come to expect large, cinematic experiences. Probably because the big companies just keep giving them more of that. Halo and Call of Duty and Resident Evil and Uncharted and The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls... Everything is just more dramatic, more cinematic, and bigger better badder. I can't say I agree with this. In fact, out of all the aforementioned games, the only ones I'm interested in are Beyond: Two Souls (Simply because I loved Heavy Rain) and RE6. I've been playing Resident Evil since the beginning, and while I don't agree with the direction the series is going -- more action, less survival horror-- It's still featuring some of my favorite characters and I want to see what happens to them.

While I believe there is a middle ground between .99 cent games and 65$ blockbusters (which incidentally may see a price increase if dev costs go up again dramatically this gen like last gen. 70-80 dollar games? Scary.)

Going back to Square Enix, they said that their Agni's Prophecy tech demo would be possible this upcoming generation if there was enough RAM in the new consoles. That demo looked amazing. That is, in my opinion, a huge graphical leap compared to what we have now. Unless there is some crazy new way of getting assets and resources into a game, a lot of those have to be hand crafted. There are artists and animators doing a lot of that work by hand. That costs time and money.

Humor me here. Let's say Agni's Prohphecy (the game) costs even $50 million to develop, and then retails at 69.99+ tax. That comes to 76.49 here in AZ. I see "76.49" as "80" which, in my opinion, is shocking. That's sticker shock right there. I'm afraid that developers will try to justify a higher retail price on their games by having higher development costs, and then telling the consumer that "Well we have to charge more because you are getting a better, prettier, larger, more dynamic, cinematic game. This isn't your dad's Final Fantasy, people, and we don't make Angry Birds. We are leading the pack in digital entertainment. We are bleeding edge."

And then the game may or may not sell, and a beloved company tries to take a gamble on something, and goes out of business. Yeah, many studios have opened, but how many of them are as well known or really delivering great content like some of the other ones?

I personally could not name one studio that emerged this generation that is developing great console titles.

Strangely enough, Nintendo may be in the best position of all. With a console that's not "leaps and bounds" more powerful than its current-gen competition, it may be in the perfect place to deliver that "middle ground" single-handedly. Because the console isn't outrageously more powerful, it, in a way, forces developers to work on pushing and polishing more of what we have seen this gen, which may end up keeping dev costs and retail prices down.

Despite all the nay-saying, all of the doubt, it's possible that Nintendo will be the last one laughing at the end of Gen 8, because the other kids bit off way more than they could chew, and costs were simply too high.

I dunno. Speculation.

So, Nintendo buying Rare back?

iSchLRHMyN57g.gif

LOL I can't even say it out loud without burting into laughter!
And into tears... WHY, DAMMIT!!! WHY!? *sobs*

I would like to point out (though it was pointed out earlier) that it is likely that all or almost all the programmers and artists who worked on the last N64 Banjo game are no longer with the company. Nintendo would be purchasing just the B-K logo and rights to the characters and not the actual talent that made the games.

And that is, honesty, all that matters. Rare's curent talent isn't bad by any mens, but talent is not really the main issue. What would benefit banjo-kazooie is to have Nintendo's direction back.

And Nibel, I cry for the games/characters. You cannot imagine how HARD I want Banjo and Kazooie in a smash game, for example.

Drago

And Nibel, I cry for the games/characters. You cannot imagine how HARD I want Banjo and Kazooie in a smash game, for example.

Banjo-Kazooie could have logically gotten into SSB Melee, right? And it would have been before the acquisition of RareWare... if only :(

If that had happened, would the characters have been removed from all post-2002 copies? I've always wondered this

chris3116

Why would Nintendo buy again RARE? Rare today is not the same as Rare from N64 days. Many developers have left the studio since then. Maybe Nintendo could buy some IP from them.

Otherwise, it's still fake.

Nibel

Would they buy today's Rare? Hell no. They already said that they don't want to buy whole studios.

Would they buy their IPs? No. Why should they buy IPs that sell less than most of their own IPs?

This is just a fanboy rumor and we shouldn't care about it.

Isn't RARE still helping Microsoft making Kinect games? They were responsible for the software to make kinect, and I believe they made a few games.

P.S. What's up with people using spoiler tags randomly for non-spoiler stuff on neogaf? It doesn't make any sense.

And that is, honesty, all that matters. Rare's curent talent isn't bad by any mens, but talent is not really the main issue. What would benefit banjo-kazooie is to have Nintendo's direction back.

That's actually a really good point. Maybe different developers, even ones who have never worked on the N64 properties in question, would churn out consistently good results under Nintendo's watchful eye.

Would they buy today's Rare? Hell no. They already said that they don't want to buy whole studios.

Would they buy their IPs? No. Why should they buy IPs that sell less than most of their own IPs?

This is just a fanboy rumor and we shouldn't care about it.

In the interest of speculation, I think the question is more fun when stated as "If Nintendo decided to go on a spending spree, which developers would it be most advantageous for them to purchase".

I mean, obviously due to size fan favourites like Sega* and Valve are right out due to being very expensive. Rovio would be pretty interesting, but the price tag would be pretty hefty, likely much higher than the company's current value. I'd love it if they bought that UK division from Crytek, since they have positive history with Nintendo and are
currently devalued
. It would be epic if Nintendo basically farmed all the big recent Kickstarter successes and nabbed them on the cheap, as they'd end up successful even if a small minority of the purchases ended up with solid sellers (also Super Mario Crossover the eshop, woohoo!),

P.S. What's up with people using spoiler tags randomly for non-spoiler stuff on neogaf? It just... Doesn't work here.

I don't know what you're talking about.

* well, they're the favourite of some types of fan…

P.S. What's up with people using spoiler tags randomly for non-spoiler stuff on neogaf? It doesn't make any sense.
It's tongue in cheek.

They're probably not bad, but they're not the Rareware of old, on top of talent you need team work focused people and good chemistry among members.

And Microsoft did it's best to drive off the talent that made Rareware what Rareware was since 2002.

Salvaging it now would be like starting anew.

Strangely enough, Nintendo may be in the best position of all. With a console that's not "leaps and bounds" more powerful than its current-gen competition, it may be in the perfect place to deliver that "middle ground" single-handedly. Because the console isn't outrageously more powerful, it, in a way, forces developers to work on pushing and polishing more of what we have seen this gen, which may end up keeping dev costs and retail prices down.

Despite all the nay-saying, all of the doubt, it's possible that Nintendo will be the last one laughing at the end of Gen 8, because the other kids bit off way more than they could chew, and costs were simply too high.

I dunno. Speculation.

This was actually Nintendo's strategy for this generation. Iwata was in an interview (which I cannot find a link for) where he stressed that the danger of increased development costs is a potential crisis, and this was a prime reason for why the Wii was designed to make development cheaper, by (A) having a really inexpensive dev kit, and (B) pursuing architecture which was similar to what was used in the previous generation. Point B sort of blew up in their faces, as most developers had never really gotten used to the GCN architecture anyway, so it was easier for them to use the more PC-like features of the other systems' graphics chips.

They are sort of continuing this whole idea into this generation, as evidenced by their third party middleware giveaways, targeted market dollar matching and architectural similarity to the Western console devs' system of choice from the current gen.

Changing the text background color to black and "hiding" their comments in them.

You really totally missed the part of my post where I spoilered nonspoily text in the very paragraph prior to my quoting your message.

Or my sarcasm detector is getting old and I didn't pick up that you're deadpanning me here.

Soroc

While I believe there is a middle ground between .99 cent games and 65$ blockbusters (which incidentally may see a price increase if dev costs go up again dramatically this gen like last gen. 70-80 dollar games? Scary.)

Going back to Square Enix, they said that their Agni's Prophecy tech demo would be possible this upcoming generation if there was enough RAM in the new consoles. That demo looked amazing. That is, in my opinion, a huge graphical leap compared to what we have now. Unless there is some crazy new way of getting assets and resources into a game, a lot of those have to be hand crafted. There are artists and animators doing a lot of that work by hand. That costs time and money.

Humor me here. Let's say Agni's Prohphecy (the game) costs even $50 million to develop, and then retails at 69.99+ tax. That comes to 76.49 here in AZ. I see "76.49" as "80" which, in my opinion, is shocking. That's sticker shock right there. I'm afraid that developers will try to justify a higher retail price on their games by having higher development costs, and then telling the consumer that "Well we have to charge more because you are getting a better, prettier, larger, more dynamic, cinematic game. This isn't your dad's Final Fantasy, people, and we don't make Angry Birds. We are leading the pack in digital entertainment. We are bleeding edge."

My opinion on this is I don't care what they charge for a game anymore. Let it be 80 dollars. Because I can tell you after this generation. I will not buy a retail game for 60 dollars or more. This generation has taught me to wait for games. Probably helps that I'm in my 30's and don't have a lot of time for gaming and don't always follow when a game comes out anymore. Day 1 to me is pointless these days. The game and experience will be there and I'm more than happy to wait for a reasonable sales price. This generation I would honestly say the average price I've paid is 35 bucks. Thats what I will continue to expect to pay going forward.

The real question is when the industry as a whole wakes up and no longer front loads the sales of games in the first week or day, how will they react. Will they then realize that front loading your sales predictions is stupid and irresponsible and to find a sweet spot median price for games and project your earnings over the course of a quarter maybe a year? My mentality today is I don't spend more than 35 bucks on a game because it will eventually be had for that price and I can wait. What does the industry do when the majority of the masses start thinking the same way?

EDIT: I should note that I'm not a competitive multiplayer type gamer. So I guess I can understand needing to be there day 1 for competitive multiplayer. Also I'm not against paying 35 bucks day 1 for a game! I think that was the point I was rambling to :)

Eeeeeeuuuuw no

Molyneaux seems to be that rare sort of game designer who can put out a solid product if his freedom (and possibly his larynx) is severely curtailed. Lock him in a basement with an N64 devkit for two years, with instructions to make another great god game, and I think he can deliver.

…also maybe feed him now and then.

If Nintendo went on a spending spree, this would be my shopping list:

Mistwalker
The last story was amazing and Nintendo could use a studio as talented as them. It also seems that Sakaguchi is quite adept at working with Nintendo.

Eurocom
Eurocom made 2 of the very best Wii 3rd Party games. Dead Space Extraction and Goldeneye both take full advantage of the Wii Hardware in both controls and tech to create amazing experiences in their respective genres. Allthough I would rather see Nintendo partnering with them instead of buying them as their independent state is what defines their company.

Platinum Games
One of the most creative and outrageous studios of this generation. I could see them making amazing reboots of classic Nintendo IPs as well as new IPs.

RedSwirl

Wait a minute. Didn't Iwata say during a past interview or shareholders conference that they weren't going to buy any more studios outright? I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that Nintendo now prefers to go into publishing deals with other developers (like how they're publishing P-100 for Platinum) rather than buy them outright in order to avoid talent leak like when two of the main Metroid Prime guys left Retro.

If that's how it is, what I'd really want to know is what other developers (i.e. Western) would it be best for Nintendo to enter publishing deals with?

Jarsonot

Thanks for the link, all the sites I seen always talked about multiplayer but never posted vids

Huh, looks like Zombiu's multiplayer will require the gamepad pro. Seems I may need one sooner than I thought. One less game I get to buy, I guess. Now it's even more crucial Nintendoland is a pack-in!

jmizzal

Huh, looks like Zombiu's multiplayer will require the gamepad pro. Seems I may need one sooner than I thought. One less game I get to buy, I guess. Now it's even more crucial Nintendoland is a pack-in!

It may also use the Wii mote nunchuck, its been said in the past that they rather show off games at trade shows using CC since its easier to step right into without adjusting settings and it wont have any interference with so many people around like the Wiimote.

Also it may use the regular Classic controller and Classic Control pro.

Glass Joe

The only real value Rare has these days is with their IPs. The talent left long ago, and Nintendo must have realized that back in the day when they sold them off to Microsoft. I doubt such a huge corporation would sell Rare back, probably for pennies on the dollar of the original sale, if only out of pride.

Buying IPs individually may have been investigated but I doubt that too. GoldenEye is Activision, apparently. Perfect Dark isn't lucrative either after PD Zero. Banjo Kazooie? Eh, it really doesn't do anything that a 3D Mario can't do. Diddy Kong Racing is simply a more ambitious version of Mario Kart, and they own the rights to Diddy anyway. Obviously the same goes for Donkey Kong (Country) and Star Fox (Adventures). As someone who enjoyed Conker, a new Conker game would be cool, but surely Nintendo views that IP as worthless too since that sold poorly.

So all that really leaves is like, Battletoads and Killer Instinct, which not even Rare themselves seemed all that interested in revitalizing earlier. Losing Rare was a huge blow that turned out to be for the best. Buying them back is pretty illogical, unless they get the IPs for a steal.

jmizzal

This EA Sports WiiU stuff better be something big, other wise whats the point of it being embargoed? How hard is it to put out a press release saying Madden 13 and Fifa 13 will launch on the WiiU in the fall.

It better be some game play videos of these games running on WiiU, and game play with 2 WiiU pads, new fetures exclusive to WiiU and announce that Madden and Fifa will come bundled with a WiiU pad.

Other then something like that what is the point of an embargo for announce games we pretty much know are coming.

Soroc

This EA Sports WiiU stuff better be something big, other wise whats the point of it being embargoed? How hard is it to put out a press release saying Madden 13 and Fifa 13 will launch on the WiiU in the fall.

It better be some game play videos of these games running on WiiU, and game play with 2 WiiU pads, new fetures exclusive to WiiU and announce that Madden and Fifa will come bundled with a WiiU pad.

Other then something like that what is the point of an embargo for announce games we pretty much know are coming.

What is this about? Did the EA Sports thing happen already? Any leaks?

Do we have a date for the embargo? I really wanted to see if Madden was going to innovate with the controller.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What is this about? Did the EA Sports thing happen already? Any leaks?

Do we have a date for the embargo? I really wanted to see if Madden was going to innovate with the controller.

It was supposed to be Wednesday and Thursday and the invite or whatever EA sent out said Wii U games would be discussed.

So far nothing but the UFC game has even been discussed, so it seems safe to assume there is an embargo of sorts. No idea when it expires.

They've got us begging for what should be the bare minimum level of support. Then again, Peter Moore seemed to say that the sports titles would not land on Wii U until next year, so maybe there's no rush in them showing the products. I don't know why Moore would outright lie to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom