• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Yeah, sorry, but I'm not having that. You obviously aren't familiar with Van Owen and his constant downer on anything Nintendo or Wii U.

Here, here's his list posts. See for yourself: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=129452
Ok but does anyone here recall sony's e3 05 presser,remember how every developer on/off stage went on and on about how cell is a really great processor and the ps3 is really easy to develop for including guys like tim sweeney and sam houser?I'm not directly comparing the 2 situations but i think it may be the case here too

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Christ on a bike, you're priceless lol. 4 times more powerful does not mean games will be 4 times better looking. Who on earth gave you that impression..? lmfao. Anyone who even entertains that idea is more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic lololol.
I can't believe I didn't know that one.

I meant the latter two. Which we all know is total bs

GIbiz is one of the most respected game sites out there & have legit connections to the industry. They don't just make shit up. If you think Stephen Totilo is credible, I don't see why you think GIbiz is not.

Yeah no. Some of them are quoted as "Tech insiders" and they still remain anonymous. Others say their games won't be on Wii U because of CPU, yet you have to prove to Nintendo you will develop games in order to qualify for a dev kit.

At the end of the day, they are anonymous. Anonymous is anonymous is anonymous.

A publication can use anonymous sources AND be reputable you know. Unless you think the New York Times is a tabloid trash mag.

Ok but does anyone here recall sony's e3 05 presser,remember how every developer on/off stage went on and on about how cell is a really great processor and the ps3 is really easy to develop for including guys like tim sweeney and sam houser?I'm not directly comparing the 2 situations but i think it may be the case here too

Interesting opinion. Time will tell.

GIbiz is one of the most respected game sites out there & have legit connections to the industry. They don't just make shit up. If you think Stephen Totilo is credible, I don't see why you think GIbiz is not.

Do you honestly believe that the wii u is less powerful than the 360? I don't care how reliable they are and i'm not doubting their industry connects but that article is total bs and we already have info that disproves it. The article is even filled with wii u screenshots that look better than anything the ps360 have produced so far

Van Owen

Banned

Yeah. Im not sure what people think these sites have to gain publishing the info.

"There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up"
Anonymous developer

Sorry, but isn't this the infamous quote that was ripped to shit over how laughable it was? I only have a layman's understanding of tech.

Sources say that Nintendo's new console is not even equal to the current generation

Yeah, this GI.Biz article is the shit man... what a fascinating insight into people who give it any time what-so-ever.

Yeah. Im not sure what people think these sites have to gain publishing the info.

Yeah, me either... how many times you clicked on it?

Van Owen

Banned
Sorry, but isn't this the infamous quote that was ripped to shit over how laughable it was? I only have a layman's understanding of tech.

Yeah, me either... how many times you clicked on it?

Probably some french ubisoft dev talking in broken English lol.

I would have clicked it as many times if they would have said the system was 4x more powerful than 360 too. Why aren't all the reports going in that direction?

Shokio

Neo Member

"The graphics are just not as powerful," reiterated the source.

^What kind of developer talks like that? That's freakin 5th-grader grammer my man lol.

Probably some french ubisoft dev talking in broken English lol.

I would have clicked it as many times if they would have said the system was 4x more powerful than 360 too. Why aren't all the reports going in that direction?

Oh come on.

You had enough trolling fun yet for one day, Owen?

jacksrb

I think we can assume the following may be built-in to the system.

Miiverse
Measure Up App
Drawing Sketch App
Panorama View App
Picture App (with curtains)
Video Chat App
Wii U Clubhouse Games (Checkers, Chess, Solitaire, Othello, Connect 4, etc. Playable on your big screen or on your tablet controller with a friend as shown on the demo video)

I know I am a few pages back - (and skipping most of the crap about the CPU) - but I find this topic endlessly fascinating. I was thinking the same thing about Measure Up, but we of course may never see it again.

Would love to see Pictionary packed in as well.

Stewox

Banned
Yup. On paper we're looking at 3 times more powerful than the 360 going by what's been leaked so far - 3MB eDRAM for the CPU against 1MB, 32MB eDRAM on the GPU against 10MB, 2GB of RAM (with 512MB reserved for the OS) against 512MB.

Mix in a DSP and OoOE CPU and we should be looking at around 4 times more powerful in terms of real world performance by my reckoning.

What's most important is Nintendo's (surprising!) forward thinking in using a GPGPU and what appears to be a similar architecture to the PS4 and 720 meaning that the U should be able to provide up-ports and receive down-ports to and from the PS4 and 720, albeit with eye candy less impressive.

You've also got to factor in that, first party titles aside, the majority of PS4 and 720 titles during the first year of their lives aren't going to outshine U titles by that much due to the majority of development being done on underpowered/underclocked/unfinished dev kits. The U should have 2 years worth of eye candy being superior compared to competing consoles, and once that third year arrives it should be around halfway through its lifespan and developers, being more experienced in working with the hardware, should be able to squeeze more out of the box.

Nintendo have a huge advantage in being the first out of the gate next gen, something that did Microsoft a great deal of good this gen. They and Sony are fools to give them a head start, generational fatigue started setting in a year ago despite the adoption of motion controls breathing new life into this gen for a minority of people.

Yes, the if the paper performance is 3x, the real world practical performance will be even better, however the full 1080p takes some of that away and other compute-heavy effects, the GFX will be upped. For western 3rd parties that always will go with GFX they will go more than nintendo, the WiiU will offer nintendo to GREATELY expand their gameplay experience with much larger worlds and it'll really be a big step higher in their first-party series.

Given the fact that these are early inputs, it'll be even higher when developers such as id software tackle at it with the mission to take the most out of the system, it's just a matter of time.

It'd hard to come up with a retort to something as definitive as "oh come on."

Send me a link to another anonymous source that says things like 'not as many shaders' 'graphics are just not as powerful'. Or you could of course offer absolutely anything that's of interest... a radical idea there for you.

Van Owen

Banned
Send me a link to another anonymous source that says things like 'not as many shaders' 'graphics are just not as powerful'. Or you could of course offer absolutely anything interesting... a radical idea there for you.

I've already provided multiple reports from reputable sites and people. It seems nothing is ever going to be good enough for you.

can we have another WII U official thread?
when we can talk about other aspect not only graphic-related?

We've already had this discussion, when the name was changed. Many were opposed, since they'd rather have all WiiU information condensed in a single thread.

Shokio

Neo Member
Well shoot, since we're using anonymous rumors, I guess I'll use a quote from that "Ubisoft" employee:

Graphics are powered by the Radeon HD 6770 chipset
Assassin’s Creed 3 will run at 60fps at 1080p, compared to 720p on PS3 and Xbox 360

Wii U running native 1080p, 60 FPS, WITH the 480p controller image on.

CONFIRMED 4 LYFE!!!!!

OryoN

Have we discussed the possibility of NintendoLand being partially packed in?

That is:

Nintendo could possibly pack in some "attractions" from NintendoLand(maybe the 5 we saw already), and offer the full pack - all 12 games - for purchase online & retail. If they go that route, they may even allow you to buy individual attractions online - in addition to what was packed in - with a slight discount incentive for the full pack. Something like: $4.99 individually, $29.99 full pack.

I'm hoping they do pack in NintendoLand with ALL the attractions. But when you compare this offering with Wii Sports - 12 games vs 5, plus deeper content - it's hard to believe they'll do it. That why I've been thinking about the scenario I posted above.

However way they do it, it does seem like a no-brainer that they'll add more attractions as DLC. Perhaps giving you the option to grow/expand/customize your theme park. This game may turn out to be a real winner for Nintendo.

I've already provided multiple reports from reputable sites and people. It seems nothing is ever going to be good enough for you.

(Gi.biz -> new article = ("graphics just not as powerful")

else

("on record quotes that AC3, Aliens etc etc will be the best looking versions on console";)

echo "only a complete gullible fool would STILL believe bulshit like that.";

)

Imagine this is a game of Top Trumps, developer quoted on record, always beats anonymous shite. Pretty simple.

Well shoot, since we're using anonymous rumors, I guess I'll use a quote from that "Ubisoft" employee:

CONFIRMED 4 LYFE!!!!!

Lol, this is a different game of Top Trumps. The best anonymous rumour wins. 1080p on Wii U STANDARD... confirmed!!

Van Owen

Banned
(Gi.biz -> new article = ("graphics just not as powerful")

else

("on record quotes that AC3, Aliens etc etc will be the best looking versions on console";)

echo "only a complete gullible fool would STILL believe bulshit like that.";

)

Imagine this is a game of Top Trumps, developer quoted on record, always beats anonymous shite. Pretty simple.

Who said AC3 would look best on Wii U? All I recall is Shane Satterfield saying he THOUGHT it looked best at e3. Were a lo of press saying that?

Since GS is taking pre orders soon, any chance the launch price will be revealed or leaked within the next week or so? Do we have to wait until September?

Since GS is taking pre orders soon, any chance the launch price will be revealed or leaked within the next week or so? Do we have to wait until September?

There will Most likely be a nintendo direct revealing the price in a week or so so i don't think you will have to wait until september

Talk about something relavent and stop derailing the thread with useless wiiu power arguments. We already beeen through this shit before. Now, let's discuss possible two skus or ad dons please.

PN03rox

Neo Member
Pure insanity I tells ya!! Lets hope this week brings more info for everyone to speculate about. Its starting to sound like a political debate thread right about now, lol.

antonz

Why keep responding to the same crap all the time. Mental Midgets will be mental midgets. Just ignore them. It is like the 1 millionth time they have repeated the same stuff.

Why keep responding to the same crap all the time. Mental Midgets will be mental midgets. Just ignore them. It is like the 1 millionth time they have repeated the same stuff.

Yeah, you're absolutely right; can't argue. Van Owen is going on my banned list. lol. He's had too many chances. Can't reason with a professional career troll.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You're standing in the way of this thread hitting the 20k mark. Back off.

Stewox

Banned
I can believe that that Wii U has 4x the RAM of 360. I don't believe what Wii U produces on screen will be 4x better looking than what 360 can produce.

Ofcourse it will, given the time - the biggest limitation in Rage why it had so low-quality texture resolution. With 1.5 GB of RAM or more usable to developers, it's day and night.

That's the most ironic statement you made, because precisely RAM is the biggest bottleneck to better graphics and graphics are 80% textures that are memory hungry.

And all of the new effects from compute shaders, better GPU tech level, is going to make post processing even better than what on x360. It's a game changer even ofcourse it doesn't look on the outside as much, don't be fooled by the perception.

Meelow

Banned
Who said AC3 would look best on Wii U? All I recall is Shane Satterfield saying he THOUGHT it looked best at e3. Were a lo of press saying that?

There's a video comparing the PS3 and Wii U version and you can clearly see the Wii U version looks better.

Stewox

Banned

CONFIRMED 4 LYFE!!!!!

If you tradeoff some of the graphcis, yes.

When there's nothing actually to talk about we have these tons of worthless back&forth posts.

There's no need to become skeptical of previous performance assesments and milestones just because we're in the silence before the storm. Usually the finalized stuff gets better than anything in prototypes.

Shit, he's saying things but I cant see what he's said!! My quality of life just went up 2.1%!! Amazin'!

See that's an example of a worthless post. No need to report about it, if the guy doesn't get it how wrong he is then he is definitely trolling or resisting to learn, we shouldn't be wasting time with that. I am perfectly fine and welcome to explain to anyone who asks out of his interest, otherwise it's ridicolous. A good behavior is "to not discuss what you have no idea about."

D-e-f-

Banned
as soon as we talk about possible specs and "power" again, all the fun gets sucked right out of this thread. now we're left to die in our spaceship unless we find the right part to repair the engine.

man, I need to watch Firefly again...

nordique

3-4x is pretty much what the gang here has speculated/confirmed with bgassassin, Ideaman & others.

The leaked dev kit specs from last year are at least on par with that as well.

The GPU & RAM of the Wii U seem to be the strong suits thus far for the system, with the CPU being out of order and not able to be used to the full in 360/PS3 ports.

... no, no they have not....don't put words in their mouths. bg has been very clear and Ideaman never claimed such things as facts as he always presented information from what "he was told"...and no one ever said "4x" as the high end.

Its somewhere in the range of 2-3x, and 3x is on the high end. Even so, using such multipliers are ridiculous since they can vary on so many levels and don't really tell anything other than a "layman" understanding.

Wii U will be more powerful than current gen, but at the same time it is going to be "on par" with the current systems, yet (should) be able to match the next gen systems for feature set or perhaps architecture/design philosophy.

Terrell

Ummm... ad revenue? They post an inflammatory conversation topic, get clicks, get money. That's how the modern internet works.

And I remember seeing "anonymous sources" tell me how the GameCube was total and utter shit compared to the PS2... so there's that.

It's to the point that you can't trust what anyone says until you can get it at retail, and then the truth starts to come out.

nordique

Name calling shouldn't be tolerated.

I agree, and I think you are justified in making your claims...arguments are never fun if they're always one sided and I welcome your cautious opinion; its a valid one for those who think Nintendo should have been more aggressive with the hardware.

that said, you should perhaps consider waiting until the specs come. Truth is, no one really knows anything specific about the system's performance, and its a brand new system.

Nintendo themselves have admitted to it being a new architecture (slight different way to develop for it) than the other current HD systems, so its likely that we won't know the full picture for some time.

You should, rather than suggesting it is holding a weak CPU, wait until you (and others) have more facts. I think its just a waste of time and pointless debate, on both ends, otherwise.

Meelow

Banned
According to this highly intelligent man, it only looks better because of the "HD" effect the "blue tint" gives to the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1VXbI_T2o0&feature=plcp

Dolphin emulator is useless, just put a blue tint on your TV screen.

Pretty much, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft don't even need to put HD in because all they need is a blue tint...And GTX 670 lol.

I'm not going to make judgements based on cam footage.

Why do you find it so hard to believe a next gen console is getting a better looking multiplat game than current gen?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom