• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
In the store I worked before, some games retailed for an equivalence of 118 AUD. It has now gone out of business, though not because of the high prices (that were significantly lowered after I complained about them).

As for EB Games' price, I think it's just a placeholder unless Iwata has gone completely bananas.

big_erk

Which annoys me because Microsoft is the one now pushing for casual's, they have Halo which people will call Microsoft hardcore even if the Xbox 720 is for little kids/casuals, does Nintendo have to make some super mature game with tons of gore, drugs, and sex to convince the "hardcore" gamers that Nintendo is truly mature?, no because that's not Nintendo and Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they made a game like that, those people just got to know what the definition of kiddy is these days.

The drive to prove to someone that you are mature, is in itself a sign of immaturity.

big_erk

Anyone believing you need hd on 6.2" is insane. But hey we have guys on neogaf who see the inferiority of the gamepad screen already in offscreen videos, even though every handson preview is extremely positive! But according to GAF logic, Its Nintendo so it automatically SUCKS!!

480p on 6.2" will look great.

Yes, 480p on a 6.2" screen will look just fine. We can thank Apple for this mentality with the whole Retina Display mania.

big_erk

please guys, try to stop the understandable complaint about haters.
go on with the discussion.
if someone doesn't like the Wii U, no problem (or his problem): if we are interested in it, don't let them ruin the discussion talking about them, but go ahead talking about the Wii U itlself

Don't pick at scabs, they will go away faster if you don't pick at them.

CPU is a tri-core OoO (Out of Order execution) CPU with 2 threads per core. It's rumored to be clocked low due to heat concerns. Around 2.0Ghz

SMT in the CPU became debatable apparently starting with the 2nd dev kit. Clock still not known.

I thought the consensus was that it might be a modified e6760.

A modified R700 that will have similarities to the E6760.

AntMurda

I see no way this happens. Most likely this thing ships with a few Wii Sports games again.

Nintendo Land and Wii Sports U are too big of a commercially viable product to be cheap throw ins. Wii Sports U is in development if you noticed those interesting prototype copyrights Nintendo registered patents 5 months after the early work-in-progress videos we saw at E3 2010. Iwata mentioned he wanted to release the game months after launch rather than having it at launch. The game is going to be as big as Nintendo Land, probably 10-14 sports.. leaderboards.. online?

By the way. I think we will have Wii Sports U and one more variety game compilation based around the pointer for next year. Remember that Mii Hogan's Alley game Nintendo showed at E3 2010. They probably will do that with more shootings games and bundle it with the Wii Zapper 2.0.

Nintendoland is the Wii Sports of the Wii U - a minigame package designed to show off the advantages of the system's unique abilities.

New Super Mario Bros. U does an equal job of showing the system's unique abilities. But Nintendo Land is more like Wii Play reinvented. Wii Sports U is the Wii Sports of the system.

I was thinking, since Last E3, we haven't heard anything more about Measure Up. (That measuring game.) That's surely pack-in material if ever I saw it, unless they've somehow turned it into a Nintendoland game.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/27416/measure-up-wii-u-hands-on-gameplay-impressions/

I think we can assume the following may be built-in to the system.

Miiverse
Measure Up App
Drawing Sketch App
Panorama View App
Picture App (with curtains)
Video Chat App
Wii U Clubhouse Games (Checkers, Chess, Solitaire, Othello, Connect 4, etc. Playable on your big screen or on your tablet controller with a friend as shown on the demo video)

Ormberg

Nobody pondered over the idea that Nintendoland might add theme parks via DLC? That'd be kind of neat, try it and if you want more just buy a new ticket. Could sell it perhaps (if not a pack-in) for like $20?

2ghz seems extremely low.

GHZ =/= performance dude

Seriously...An low clocked i5/i7 runs circles around a way higher clocked AMD FX

And Athlon 64 ran circles around Intels Netburst architecture (P4) while being clocked lower.

You really don´t miss ANY chance to just TROLL AWAY about Wii U stuff you don´t know, don´t you?

brainpann

Nintendo Land and Wii Sports U are too big of a commercially viable product to be cheap throw ins.

Um, Wii Sport WAS a "cheap thow in" for the Wii and that was very successful for Nintendo.

Also, I seriously doubt Nintendoland had a very large development budget.It was more likely designed to be a pack in. It makes sense as a mini-game collection to showcase what the controller can do and familiarize people with all the Nintendo IPs.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Based on what I've seen of Nintendoland, it seems to be an evolution of Wii Play rather than just a variation of it. They've been going in that direction. Wii Play Motion was deeper than Wii Play, its games having more content, being more challenging and interesting.

Nintendoland's games appear to have serious depth, at least some of them. I suppose we have to see what the framework for them ends up being. In the same way that Wii Sports Resort is a fairly serious package of games, rather than the 'tech demo' that Wii Sports or Wii Play was.

In a way, it's too bad that a fully fleshed out version of the concept hasn't come to complete fruition yet. The closest, I think, was Namco's Let's Go Vacation for Wii, which tried to take the whole multi-discipline minigame concept and turn it into a complete game experience. The only problem there was despite how much they tried to polish the concept, it still had some interface and control issues, such as the way your basic navigation around the resort island worked. And the fact that due to hardware limitations it still couldn't be one huge open island, but was segmented.

I would have liked to see Nintendo do their own take on that idea, with the levels of engineering and polish they are capable of.

Um, Wii Sport WAS a "cheap thow in" for the Wii and that was very successful for Nintendo.

Also, I seriously doubt Nintendoland had a very large development budget.It was more likely designed to be a pack in. It makes sense as a mini-game collection to showcase what the controller can do and familiarize people with all the Nintendo IPs.

One problem with Nintendoland being a pack-in - many of its games seem to require a motion+ wiimote, don't they? They cannot be played with only the gamepad. (Like the Zelda game.)

If that is the case, packing it in would require packing in a wiimote as well, further increasing the bundle cost.

AntMurda

One problem with Nintendoland being a pack-in - many of its games seem to require a motion+ wiimote, don't they? They cannot be played with only the gamepad. (Like the Zelda game.)

If that is the case, packing it in would require packing in a wiimote as well, further increasing the bundle cost.

But pondering this thought would require minimal critical thinking which hurts the droves of people who look for simple answers. "Uhhmm uhhmm Nintendo Land is cheap mini games like Wii Sports .. duhhh its free". The logical conlusion is that Nintendo Land should be bundled with a Wii Motion Plus Remote. Just like the original Wii Play was bundled with a Wiimote. That makes sense from a marketing and sales perspective.

You doubt Nintendo Land has a large development budget? Oh right. Just a bunch of cheap mini-games. Probably cost 0.50 cents to make right. But looking at the The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest alone, that one attraction alone might have a higher budget than the entire Wii Play. It definitely was not designed a "pack-in". I don't think developers begin games with that intention.

brainpann

I think the wiimote is only required for multiplayer, just like the original Wii Sports.

Bumped into this a while ago.

It's a document dated Aug. 2012, that has something to do with the Unreal Development Kit.

I have no idea what it's talking about (and google translate doens't work either) but the url "UDK.IR" at the end points to the "Unreal Development Kit Persian Forum".

untitledcbk0f.jpg

I guess it's probably nothing, just mentioning WiiU as a supported platform but maybe someone -that understands the language- could find it interesting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
With the separate marketing space at stores for Nintendoland, I just don't see it being a pack-in.

Plus, several stores already have a separate SKU in the system for it.

My assumption has always been that Nintendo's going to pack a Wii Remote+ in with the Wii-U. Assymetrical gameplay is what Nintendo considers one of the Wii-U's biggest features, almost as big as "hey, our controller has a touchscreen!", and they are going to want its biggest features to be available out of the box. Especially since no third party developer will ever use that feature if it's not in the box.

brainpann

But pondering this thought would require minimal critical thinking which hurts the droves of people who look for simple answers. "Uhhmm uhhmm Nintendo Land is cheap mini games like Wii Sports .. duhhh its free". The logical conlusion is that Nintendo Land should be bundled with a Wii Motion Plus Remote. Just like the original Wii Play was bundled with a Wiimote. That makes sense from a marketing and sales perspective.

If that is a slight jab at me, I was simply using your words, "cheap". I also think you misunderstood what I was saying. It's not that I think Nintendoland is cheap game, in fact, I am looking forward too it, but given Nintendo's success with Wii SPorts as a pack in, it would make sense to follow suit again and introduce people to Nintendo IPs they may not be familiar with. Nintendoland seems to be exactly that in a budget form.

You doubt Nintendo Land has a large development budget? Oh right. Just a bunch of cheap mini-games. Probably cost 0.50 cents to make right. But looking at the The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest alone, that one attraction alone might have a higher budget than the entire Wii Play. It definitely was not designed a "pack-in". I don't think developers begin games with that intention.

Your making alot of assumptions chief and again, you stared with using the term cheap. Game budgets are not so black an white i.e. either expensive or cheap. Rather, I think Nintendo probably started out with a lower budget in mind. After all, Iwata did say that not every game NIntendo makes will be big budget.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's probably nothing, just mentioning WiiU as a supported platform but maybe someone -that understands the language- could find it interesting.
Correct, it simply says you can use Unreal Development Kit in compliance with Wii U. I don't doubt that is possible, but why would you want to do such a thing, UDK is for non-profit games?

Edit: I didn't think about the commercial license, Bony.

Rösti;40934682 said:
Correct, it simply says you can use Unreal Development Kit in compliance with Wii U. I don't doubt that is possible, but why would you want to do such a thing, UDK is for non-profit games?

UDK is for smaller commercial games too - they charge 25% on all revenue above $50,000.

Although the UDK doesn't let you make console games at all, you can build a PC prototype in UDK, and switch to a standard UE3 licence if you get a console publishing deal.

Say what? They took the combat system from Skyward Sword, put the players on a rail to automatically take them from combat to combat, and created a very short experience (the E3 demo was most of the game - if I remember right the full game has 3 levels, the E3 demo was the first 2 levels combined). All of the Nintendoland minigames are similar, it really is the definition of a low-budget minigame collection. Now, if they would have included a lot more levels in the game then I'd agree with you.

Rösti;40934682 said:

I'm not sure how this really works, but nothing stops devs from using it, right?

Edit:

UDK is for smaller commercial games too - they charge 25% on all revenue above $50,000.

Although the UDK doesn't let you make console games at all, you can build a PC prototype in UDK, and switch to a standard UE3 licence if you get a console publishing deal.

Oh ok, thanks.

Van Owen

Banned
GHZ =/= performance dude

Seriously...An low clocked i5/i7 runs circles around a way higher clocked AMD FX

And Athlon 64 ran circles around Intels Netburst architecture (P4) while being clocked lower.

You really don´t miss ANY chance to just TROLL AWAY about Wii U stuff you don´t know, don´t you?

This isn't an i5 or i7 though. Not that either of those is clocked as low as 2ghz.

AntMurda

Say what? They took the combat system from Skyward Sword, put the players on a rail to automatically take them from combat to combat, and created a very short experience (the E3 demo was most of the game - if I remember right the full game has 3 levels, the E3 demo was the first 2 levels combined). All of the Nintendoland minigames are similar, it really is the definition of a low-budget minigame collection. Now, if they would have included a lot more levels in the game then I'd agree with you.

They never confirmed how many levels the full game was. The only thing the Producer (Katsuya Eguchi) said was that the games would have a lot of depth, Zelda for example had bosses at the end of x amount of levels. And how are all the mini-games similar? But the amount of texture variety alone, at a much higher detail, in that Battle Quest demo is more than the entire Wii Play.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Someone posted in the other thread that Nintendoland also had a separate box on store shelves, further evidence it isn't a pack-in.

Lyude77

The reason I think Nintendo Land should be a pack in is because it would introduce everyone who bought the system to Nintendo's franchises (and it's a good first experience, I bet). Also, I'm gonna get it anyway, so they might as well include it. :p

If they do a Motion+ bundle with it, I hope they have a standalone Nintendo Land too because I already have 2 Motion+ remotes. I guess I could have three, but I do most of my local multi with just one other person. Hm...maybe I will get the bundle anyway because I feel like most of these games would be better with 3 people, at least.

Sid

Some food for thought.
That is a pre-alpha screen of gow3 and back then ssm were developing their engine concurrently while making the game,at that time the game didn't even have dof,it has super clean iq including shadows
god-of-war-iii-20100310054637903-3155278.jpg

Even the last of us has some amazing looking shadows,so p-100 may not be using compute shaders....

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Someone posted in the other thread that Nintendoland also had a separate box on store shelves, further evidence it isn't a pack-in.
Something that would confirm all these things would be barcodes (GTIN etc.) for the first party titles. I know of three GTIN for Wii U titles, for Assassin's Creed III, Rise Of The Guardians and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. I have been able to validate the numbers now (via GS1 Sweden), and they are legit. Still, first party titles are most important.

This isn't an i5 or i7 though. Not that either of those is clocked as low as 2ghz.

You really don´t get it. 2GHZ Wii U Cpu could easily smoke Xbox 360 cpu even if that one is clocked 3.2 ghz because the architcture is way different and more modern.

GHZ DO NOT MEAN PERFORMANCE

AntMurda

Fuck Nintendo Land, I want NSMBU packed in.

Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Wii Fit U, and Balance Board all packed in. For free of course since pack-ins are "free".

But what makes business sense, is to pack Pikmin 3 in. It is the only game I don't think is going to sell a million per region. (NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U and even Sing will sell millions!). Just force everyone that buys a Wii U to buy Pikmin 3.

You expect rainbows and unicorns while going through the depths of hell?anyways i made my point regarding the shadows in current gen games like gow3 and the last of us

Man, it's hot in hell.. and brown!! Shadow and light/reflections look nice.

I know, but it seems odd if the CPU was so efficient at lower speeds that the Tekken producer and other anonymous devs would consider it an issue is all.

We have to draw the line somewhere. If anonymous devs count, then so does my uncle Dave who works in GAME and who's manager once ate a sausage roll in Sayer's Cafe and seen someone who he thought looked like Michael Pachter walking off the 26A bus to Ambleworth. And the psychic who I know for a fact can make contact with Peter Moore's higher consciousness counts, too.

Anonymous devs = don't count
Tekken guy = angry because the people who interviewed him made things up and made a bad translation, taken totally out of context.

Anything else Owen?

I know, but it seems odd if the CPU was so efficient at lower speeds that the Tekken producer and other anonymous devs would consider it an issue is all.

About Harada:

I’m a bit reluctant to talk about the Wii U specs, when I mentioned something earlier it got totally blown out of proportion and twisted.

Source:

http://dustycartridge.com/interviews/a-chat-with-tekken-series-director-katsuhiro-harada-part-2/

Anonymous devs, yeah... Clearly the most trustworthy source!

EDIT:

Randy Pitchford: Wii U has a "really great processor" : http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/...cessor-says-aliens-colonial-marines-director/

So whos more trustworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom