• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
as soon as we talk about possible specs and "power" again, all the fun gets sucked right out of this thread. now we're left to die in our spaceship unless we find the right part to repair the engine.

man, I need to watch Firefly again...

That's because those who shouldn't discuss tech are discussing it, and those who don't have background experience are the worst case scenario.

Van Owen

Banned
Why do you find it so hard to believe a next gen console is getting a better looking multiplat game than current gen?.

I'm sure Wii U can have better looking versions, I'm just not going to base it on offscreen YouTube vids.

That said, nothing I've seem on Wii U would make me consider it "next gen".

Meelow

Banned
I'm sure Wii U can have better looking versions, I'm just not going to base it on offscreen YouTube vids.

You can clearly see and not only that Shane said it and the rumor about it being 1080p, and the tech demos from last year showed next gen and you shouldn't look at launch games to expect true next gen, the Xbox 360 launch games looked like Xbox games with better lighting.

You can clearly see and not only that Shane said it and the rumor about it being 1080p, and the tech demos from last year showed next gen and you shouldn't look at launch games to expect true next gen, the Xbox 360 launch games looked like Xbox games with better lighting.

I'm pretty sure no one thought that when they played Call of Duty 2 or Project Gotham Racing 3 for the first time. Because it didn't.

Meelow

Banned
I'm pretty sure no one thought that when they played Call of Duty 2 or Project Gotham Racing 3 for the first time.

Project Gotham Racing 3 looked good but Call of Duty 2?, it wasn't that impressive graphically.

call-of-duty-01.jpg

I wouldnt call nextbox nor PS4 next gen either. Have yet seen the games and the power they produce.

Van Owen

Banned

There's no way in fuck that AC3 is 1080p on Wii U, sorry. I'd love to eat that crow though.

Early 360 games were noticeably better looking than Xbox. You couldn't tell Kameo was a next gen game? C'mon.

Shokio

Neo Member
PG3 looked pretty damn good but then again, you gotta keep in mind, this generation was a change in format. We went from SD to HD. This time, we're going from HD, to HD, so we shouldn't be expecting the same leap at launch.

I do remember though seeing a lot of people calling the 360 the "Xbox 1.5".

People gotta remember the GOOD-ASS looking games of last-generation, such as F-Zero GX, Riddick on Xbox, Zone of the Enders, etc. The 360 IMO looks noticeably better at launch (sharper picture and better lighting) but I wouldn't say any of the launch games just BLEW last gen out of the water.

Meelow

Banned
There's no way in fuck that AC3 is 1080p on Wii U, sorry. I'd love to eat that crow though.

Early 360 games were noticeably better looking than Xbox. You couldn't tell Kameo was a next gen game? C'mon.

The 1080p thing is a rumor so far, not saying it's 100% legit.

Kameo looked great but Xbox 360 games have come a far way and the games look much better now, Halo 4 for example.

That's what the Wii U is, shows games that look a little bit better than current gen and than during later in it's life the games will look much better because they will be pushing the hardware more, if Nintendo showed a 3D Mario at E3 2012 than that would of been a first glimpse of next gen with Wii U, look at Mario Galaxy and see how great that looked on something limited like the Wii.

kitsuneyo

Does anyone know if Project P-100 is planned to run in 1080p when completed? Has anyone asked Kamiya on Twitter? It seems like it would be a good candidate.

Van Owen

Banned
like it or not, Wii U belongs to the 8th geneneration of consoles. Deal with it.

Duh, but we all know we're talking about hardware leaps.

The 1080p thing is a rumor so far, not saying it's 100% legit.

Kameo looked great but Xbox 360 games have come a far way and the games look much better now, Halo 4 for example.

That's what the Wii U is, shows games that look a little bit better than current gen and than during later in it's life the games will look much better because they will be pushing the hardware more, if Nintendo showed a 3D Mario at E3 2012 than that would of been a first glimpse of next gen with Wii U, look at Mario Galaxy and see how great that looked on something limited like the Wii.

I'm saying it's 0% legit.

Most of the improvements if any seem to be texture related, due to the increase in RAM, which makes sense.

Anyone believing Wii U will not get downports because it missind dat flops is insane.

Take Battlefield 3 for example. Its using Fristbyte 2 engine wich is a next gen engine. That engine is so scalable that you can play Battlefield 3 on an AMD E-450!! A NETbook APU! That GPU unit in the APU has a whooping 80 gflops... But it has ALL the latest GPU features.

So next gen, GPU features >>>> Flops

jerd

I'm pretty certain it won't be as well, but we don't really know. What we do know is that ZombiU looked leaps and bounds (in my opinion) better at comic con than it did at E3. Who is to say that many of the game builds that we have seen were not started on earlier dev kits? I hope AC3 looks a little better than the other consoles, but honestly I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't.

Second, Kameo did look good, but playing it in SD I'm not sure I would say it blew some of the stuff they put out on Xbox out of the water. It definitely beat it comfortably though.

conker-live-reloaded-20050421002451968.jpg

175720_full.jpg

Conker on Xbox.

oh... back to this then...

My opinion... is that I don't care.
I was happy with the wii and feel that I got my money's worth.

The WiiU should be no different.

That said...

Even going on the weakest estimation of the WiiU CPU, you should still get much better real-world performance than the 360 simply be using the DSP and I/O. That's without considering offloading to the rumored GPGPU.

Will PS720 be more powerful? More than likely, but nowhere near the gap between PS360 and Wii.

Now can we stop beating a dead horse... its getting us nowhere fast.

OryoN

There's a video comparing the PS3 and Wii U version and you can clearly see the Wii U version looks better.

Even before that comparison video, I remember noticing how vivid the Wii U version was - it was impossible not to notice. The textures were higher res(at least from an external perspective). Standing on the roof for example, or passing by pieces of hanging cloth showed extremely detailed texturing, up close, that was not seen in the PS3 version. The textures were sharp even well into the distance, like the surface of the market street - due to superior anisotropic filtering perhaps. And this wasn't even direct feed.

In fairness, the PS3 version had a better framerate. The Wii U version is still relatively early - heck, the water was just one solid texture, eww - so hopefully that will improve significantly.

Some people used the excuse of "youtube's video compression" but that would have been a factor for both videos, not just the PS3. I also saw direct feed footage of the PS3 version(ship battle) on TV during E3, and no such texture quality(as on Wii U) was present there either, so it may be just a simple case of higher res texture being more affordable on Wii U. On a system with more available RAM and possibly a lot more video bandwidth, it shouldn't be a surprise, but yet it's very upsetting to some people.

I can't wait for next gen to get started. At least people won't have to try so hard to prove Wii U is weaker. It just simply will be, period. Admittedly, I'm looking forward to see how a clearly weaker system will stack up to the competition in terms what marvels tech-wizards and top-class artists can pull off on this still capable console.

jerd

If there is a pack-in game, I think we all know it will most likely be Nintendo Land. However, if it were up to you guys, what game would you like to see packed in (if you think Nintendo Land that's fine)? I think NSMBU would be a great pack in. I think if there is a launch game that is really going to sell consoles, it is a multiplayer mario game. Plus I'm planning on getting it anyway.

If there is a pack-in game, I think we all know it will most likely be Nintendo Land. However, if it were up to you guys, what game would you like to see packed in (if you think Nintendo Land that's fine)? I think NSMBU would be a great pack in. I think if there is a launch game that is really going to sell consoles, it is a multiplayer mario game. Plus I'm planning on getting it anyway.

Hmm, NintendoLand or ZombiU...

Way I see, the root to most of these spats is down to one person in particular. He thinks he's cleaver because he can get away with it without getting warned or banned; if that's the hight of his ambitions then he's got life beat... you've gotta say! Mods won't or can't do anything, but the ignore list feature works.

Agreeing with Gravijah on this one. NSMBU will sell millions upon millions on its own, indirectly affecting hardware sales. No need to make it a pack-in yet.

I can see it being used if/when WiiU sales start to plateau (like the Wii + NSMBWii bundle).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

There won't be a pack-in game. But if you had to pick one, you would pick a first-party game that would have trouble selling on its own. That's Pikmin 3 (as someone mentioned before).

NSMBU and Nintendo Land will sell incredibly well.

According to this highly intelligent man, it only looks better because of the "HD" effect the "blue tint" gives to the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1VXbI_T2o0&feature=plcp

Dolphin emulator is useless, just put a blue tint on your TV screen.

Omfg, is that guy actually being serious..?!?!?? Watching that, if Nintendo bring Atari VCS 2600 games to the VC then Pitfall is mine!!! :Oo

I miss those days tbh, gaming was much better back then. Most of the games were score-based, very addictive and didn't have Hollywood style production.

*Starts to build time machine*

Meelow

Banned
Omfg, is that guy actually being serious..?!?!?? Watching that, if Nintendo bring Atari VCS 2600 games to the VC then Pitfall is mine!!! :Oo

I miss those days tbh, gaming was much better back then. Most of the games were score-based, very addictive and didn't have Hollywood style production.

*Starts to build time machine*

The PS4 will have GTX 670 according to the guy...Yeah.

You might want to read the hundreds of posts, including statements by the head of Sony and Iwata himself that state the "next gen" elements of Wii U are in its interface and fresh approach to gameplay rather than a make believe graphical bar that only a very small portion of gamers seem to care about.

If you dont like what the Wii U seems to be about, you should ignore it and buy the next xbox or playstation. Those will probably be more inline with your interests as a gamer. For me, and many others, i care about the "game" only. Graphics are relative. I still think stage 3-1 in Super Mario Bros on NES looks awesome.

"Nothing ive seen on Wii U would make me consider it "next gen"

Well let me ask you a few honest questions:

1. Who are you and why would anyone care about your personal views on what is "next gen"?
2. Why does a new console have to be a huge leap in graphics to be considered next gen? Is it possible that there are more important things like how you play the game etc that should factor in when determining this?
3. How many more times does it need to be said that these are launch games and launch games always look a bit less than they will look later? I know ive personally seen that stated hundreds of times in this forum alone. Do we need to spend another couple thousand hours arguing something that should have been laid to rest after it was said the first time?
4. What is the point of coming into a thread and trying to prove to everyone these things that everyone with eyes can already see, and anyone with a brain already knows? I have a hard time understanding why you would care enough to always be taking this stance for a system you obviously dont want and isnt targeted at you.

You will never see me in a hype thread for an upcoming product that i have no interest in, talking a bunch of negative trash. Never.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any hints on that Nintendo will announce date and price soon? I see that they announced the 3DS date and price about 5 months before it was released in Japan. The WiiU is out in maybe 4 months and i havnt seen any signs of announcements yet.

deviljho

Resident Evil 4 was a pack-in

Nintendo: Buy a Wii U and we'll throwing in Nintendo Land. But wait, enjoy Nintendo Land with multiple players when we pack-in a Wiimote+. And who wants a Wiimote+ without a Nunchuck? You get that too!!! We're also throwing in Zombi U and a lifetime pass to download all our games free through the Nintendo Network!!!!!!!!

billy-mays-oxiclean-shirt.jpg

Banned
I can't even find GPUs and CPUs on the market that are weaker than the 360. It would cost Nintendo more money to customize parts that are weaker than 360. It's 8 year old tech (360 had top of the line components from 2004). Nintendo would have to try really hard to make the U weaker than the 360.

Also, not only did Iwata say that next gen won't be a huge leap, but even Sony's boss said PS4 will focus more on interfaces and gaming experiences over graphical leaps.

deviljho

LOL! You haven't seen anything because you literally post about the Wii U dozens of times per day based on speculation and hearsay before it's even been out. On top of that, you don't know what MS and Sony consoles will look like to compare. Your posts are clutter.

LOL! You haven't seen anything because you literally post about the Wii U dozens of times per day based on speculation and hearsay before it's even been out. On top of that, you don't know what MS and Sony consoles will look like to compare. Your posts are clutter.

There's a button that can fix that, you know.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There won't be a pack-in game. But if you had to pick one, you would pick a first-party game that would have trouble selling on its own. That's Pikmin 3 (as someone mentioned before).

NSMBU and Nintendo Land will sell incredibly well.

Absolutely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom