• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been posted?

scribwiiu.png

I personally hope we see more GamePad accessories like this, though a bit distracting, it can add cool customization.

Here's hoping for a Link hat, or a Mario cap, etc.

where do I get one of these?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hey there :)

As the E3 is finished, it's time to make an assessment, a review of the infos i gave since a few months confirmed during the show, or that are waiting for further corroboration, or that were not observed (yet). It's pretty interesting as several messages can explain some things we witnessed during the show, and of course it could reinforce my legitimacy once and for all, for possible future leaks.

Here's a list of the facts that i got right, in some cases months before their reveal:

I guess a few of the more vocal people about me, if they are true to their words, owe me some "acknowledgment" :p

For the info not confirmed yet:

- The OS: If you read the links posted above pertaining to this subject, i have some suspicions that the interface, the dashboard, we saw at E3, was a mockup or a temporary one, for Nintendo to present what they envision for it. It's clearly not completed, as third-parties didn't really have access to it and didn't see the real dashboard even in May.

- Storage situation: the HDD (a Nintendo branded one ?), the SD cards, an augmentation of the embedded flash memory very recently (whereas it was 8GB for all this last year) ? I guess we'll hear more about that in a conference, a show, where they will describe more precisely their online strategy, their storage policy, etc.

- Slight increase of the screen size: According to the very vague spec sheet in the official website, the size is the same, but some sources got the impressions in the showfloor that it's indeed slightly bigger. And if i reported the information, it is because third-parties were really noticed of such a very small enlargement. So there are several scenarios, perhaps it's so insubstantial (like 6,25" from 6,2") that they kept the 6,2" in the description ? Maybe the screen ratio was changed a bit, with more width, less height, and the diagonal is equal ? Or it's the same screen and they decided to not modify it. Or it could have concerned the controller as a whole, and indeed, it's bigger than the previous model. I hope we'll learn more in regard to the differences between the E3 2011 & 2012 screens.

Others infos that mine:

- About the system specs: the leaked sheet seems to be true. BUT, they are specs relevant a long time ago (nearly one year i would say). I think not many alterations happened on some parts, but for others like the GPU, it was further customized since. Still, this document is satisfying enough for people here to speculate more precisely on the Wii U hardware.

As you see, there are still plenty to talk about before the launch :) Let's hope those coming threads will be informative while waiting for the release !

zroid

Banned
I'm worried about the single player. I hope the experience is as good as Rayman Origins. Every demo so far seemed very multi focused.

I'm less worried and more curious about single player. It seems like it will feel like a very different game, as these stages are all clearly designed around co-op play. What's been shown off so far looks really fun though, so I can hardly complain.

Maybe Murphy will be AI controlled? Actually, that sounds like a bad idea. I dunno.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
And about the disappointment a lot of people felt about the visuals of Wii U titles at this last E3, i copy/paste a message from another thread:

It isn't originating from a hypothetic lack of power of the system. It's for the most part, because of the projects showed, as a large bunch of them started their development on previous platforms, sometimes on Wii. Games tailored from A to Z for the Wii U will take advantage of its noticeable leap in capabilities compare to the current gen HD. For another part, it comes from the dev kits themselves, the hardware inside, their freshness as the newest were supplied just a few weeks before E3, even days for the special drivers, Wii U discs, and the final form Wii U dev kits with a built-in drive. There will be AA in launch titles. There's no doubt about it, can't be more specific than that sorry.

But i must admit that they could have been more proactive in their communication during the show, explaining how it's work-in-progress titles, how some parts are still in flux, in completion, how it will be more impressive at release, etc.

zroid

Banned
I don't know why you guys are assuming the game won't have a single player mode. That would be an extremely bizarre decision. Either there will be different stages for 1p/2p, or the stages will be adapted for 1p.

Either there will be different stages for 1p/2p, or the stages will be adapted for 1p.

I imagine it works like Guardian of Light, with levels that are adjusted whether you're playing by yourself or with friends.

I mean, I don't expect this game to be exclusive, at least for very long(This is UbiSoft we're talking about, Rayman 2 is half the consoles in the known universe), so you know they're gonna make sure the full game works without touch screen gimmicks.

zroid

Banned
I imagine it works like Guardian of Light, with levels that are adjusted whether you're playing by yourself or with friends.

I mean, I don't expect this game to be exclusive, at least for very long(This is UbiSoft we're talking about, Rayman 2 is half the consoles in the known universe), so you know they're gonna make sure the full game works without touch screen gimmicks.

absolutely. it would be cool though, if they managed to get it working with Smartglass and Vita.

I remember when I had the GBA connection on my cube and in Rayman there was this minigame for it, in which one player would build a street out of tetris blocks on the GBA and the other one has to successfuly surf on it or something on the TV. It was cool for an evening or so, but I really prefer my main game to be singleplayer. Also in this case I imagine that everyone will wanna play Rayman instead of cutting ropes.

I'm curious how they'll handle this.

zroid

Banned
Also in this case I imagine that everyone will wanna play Rayman instead of cutting ropes.

I'm curious how they'll handle this.

I would like to do both, personally. The game is designed such that it feels like you're playing two completely different games, except in tandem, which is the brilliance of it. I would absolutely play it through a second time with a friend, swapping roles.

AzaK

And about the disappointment a lot of people felt about the visuals of Wii U titles at this last E3, i copy/paste a message from another thread:

It isn't originating from a hypothetic lack of power of the system. It's for the most part, because of the projects showed, as a large bunch of them started their development on previous platforms, sometimes on Wii. Games tailored from A to Z for the Wii U will take advantage of its noticeable leap in capabilities compare to the current gen HD. For another part, it comes from the dev kits themselves, the hardware inside, their freshness as the newest were supplied just a few weeks before E3, even days for the special drivers, Wii U discs, and the final form Wii U dev kits with a built-in drive. There will be AA in launch titles. There's no doubt about it, can't be more specific than that sorry.

But i must admit that they could have been more proactive in their communication during the show, explaining how it's work-in-progress titles, how some parts are still in flux, in completion, how it will be more impressive at release, etc.

But those new kits wouldn't all of a sudden make Wii U ports good instead of the mediocre stuff we got right? OR are you suggesting that a lot of them were constrained in their asset streaming from USB/SD instead of being able to use the actual drive?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
But those new kits wouldn't all of a sudden make Wii U ports good instead of the mediocre stuff we got right? OR are you suggesting that a lot of them were constrained in their asset streaming from USB/SD instead of being able to use the actual drive?

No, as explained, the performance increase of the latest dev kits benchmarked through the boost in framerate of third-party projects is small. But still, developers must adapt to the alterations of the hardware inside, the SDK, all the tools (like GHS software), etc. And they only got a few weeks for that. I can't say much more but there are reasons why there was a lack of AA in the E3 demos for example.

For the medias used, on the contrary, i said that they received the separated drivers (for the mass production dev kits, deprived of it) + Wii U discs on which they were obliged to burn their projects, just a few days before E3. More importantly, it's the same for the final form Wii U dev kits with built-in drives, QA & Test systems, that you saw during the show. It's a possibility that those drives, the read mode, the speed, how the files are written into those discs, are not fully optimized yet, + the rush to burn demos on this support could explain some problems witnessed in a few titles, like low quality textures being apparent before the high quality ones being loaded, etc.

EVIL

Builds made by older devkits will have locked its settings that would enable them to run on that kit at proper framerates (locked at 30 or 60 fps). So its certainly possible allot of the third party games had visuals that where locked on older hardware.

ASIS

Ideaman, you've been ignoring my questions for the longest time, and I get why, they were always too straightforward, but please answer this one.

Assuming the WiiU is a success, would the power provide a limitation to 3rd party multi platform games? The question isn't "are we getting another Wii situation?" but it's more " is it possible to get a PS2 situation?"

Please say yes :(

Roo

There will be AA in launch titles. There's no doubt about it, can't be more specific than that sorry.

I know you can't say much about this but I'm really interested.
Those games with AA have been already announced or you're talking about previously unanounced games?

Not risk to answer that at all :p

Nintendo Land seems more like a tech demo than a high priority launch game to me, and would make far more sense to bundle with the console than expect people to spend $50 on. The name alone doesn't seem to fit with Nintendo's Wii strategy of removing the "Nintendo/gaming" labels and instead relying on fresh, new branding.

Transfer rates from the drive should be roughly identical between media but the seek times would be way worse. If you're working with an engine that depends heavily on streaming for textures I could see that throwing a pretty big monkey wrench in overall IQ, especially if you had a really limited amount of time to get something put together. So the new kits might have actually made things worse in the short term, not better.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Ideaman, you've been ignoring my questions for the longest time, and I get why, they were always too straightforward, but please answer this one.

Assuming the WiiU is a success, would the power provide a limitation to 3rd party multi platform games? The question isn't "are we getting another Wii situation?" but it's more " is it possible to get a PS2 situation?"

Please say yes :(

What ? i ignored no one, i just can't answer to everybody, and i'm far from knowing all :p

I already touched upon that many times before. It will mostly rely on third-party, i don't think the hardware gap between the systems will be so much groundbreaking that either Wii U is condemned to not see ports of PS420 games because of a technical impossibility, either PS420 titles will be deprived of the use of shiny new features because the Wii U will be the lead development platform (like PS2).

From the few i know of the next playstation and xbox, they are really beasts, but not a leap in feature-set, in generation, like if the Wii U would have been a "directx8" system and PS420 "directx11".

Now, there are still some hardware questions, like the GPGPU that could be the next big thing like Crytek think, is the heavily customized Wii U gpu will be as capable in regard to that as PS420 ones for example ?

I know you can't say much about this but I'm really interested.
Those games with AA have been already announced or you're talking about previously unanounced games?

Not risk to answer that at all :p

What i mean is that the lack of AA in a lot of Wii U demos seen at E3 is explainable, there are reasons behind that, and it won't be the case for most of them at launch (grain of salt though as a lot parameters are still evolving. But my sources basically said to me that this situation is "normal" and not expected to last. And it's rather expectable, launching a next-gen system with most of the titles running at 720p with no AA is embarrassing).

Now i must sleep so cya guys :)

Roo

What i mean is that the lack of AA in a lot of Wii U demos seen at E3 is explainable, there are reasons behind that, and it won't be the case for most of them at launch (grain of salt though as a lot parameters are still evolving. But my sources basically said to me that this situation is "normal" and not expected to last. And it's rather expectable, launching a next-gen system with most of the titles running at 720p with no AA is embarrassing).

Now i must sleep so cya guys :)

So you're talking about already announced games.
Cool :p

ASIS

What ? i ignored no one, i just can't answer to everybody, and i'm far from knowing all :p

I already touched upon that many times before. It will mostly rely on third-party, i don't think the hardware gap between the systems will be so much groundbreaking that either Wii U is condemned to not see ports of PS420 games because of a technical impossibility, either PS420 titles will be deprived of the use of shiny new features because the Wii U will be the lead development platform (like PS2).

From the few i know of the next playstation and xbox, they are really beasts, but not a leap in feature-set, in generation, like if the Wii U would have been a "directx8" system and PS420 "directx11".

Now, there are still some hardware questions, like the GPGPU that could be the next big thing like Crytek think, is the heavily customized Wii U gpu will be as capable in regard to that as PS420 ones for example ?
well usually when I asked before it was when the threads were really active, plus I don't quote you for some reason (I have no idea why) so that probably plays a factor on why you didn't see my posts before.

But no biggie, this answer was far more satisfying than I thought. Thank you very much.

Anth0ny

Reading Wii U discussion on the gaming side is insufferable.

That's why we need the community thread, gotta keep the stupid out. There's like 10 concurrent Wii U threads moving ridiculously fast on gaming side right now... impossible to keep up.

Reading Wii U discussion on the gaming side is insufferable.

like everything else it had a very poor showing at E3 so the talk plus more CPU/GPU rumors helps fan the flames. Nintendo did nothing to help this platform get any positive reaction here.

I think it will get better if some software info keeps flowing out every week and we don't go on info blackout again for the next 5 months

We should use this thread to focus on what Nintendo did right since there is so much negative on the gaming side

For me what they did do right is show a black console for me that is a huge thing I am tired of my Wii so I want this one at home in black if they don't mess this up at launch I'll get one.

If black is somehow not at launch I'll wait until they do launch it - software has not yet sold me on WiiU :(

Tim-E

The presentation was horrible, but there are plenty of good looking games that are for launch window, so I think we should focus on that. I'm not one to care too much about specs; I just know that I want to buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games. I think sometime before launch we'll see some 2013 software, at least for the first half of the year.

When do console preorders generally go up? I have more obligations now than I did six years ago when the Wii came out so I unfortunately won't be able to wait in line 16 hours this time around.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo Land seems more like a tech demo than a high priority launch game to me, and would make far more sense to bundle with the console than expect people to spend $50 on. The name alone doesn't seem to fit with Nintendo's Wii strategy of removing the "Nintendo/gaming" labels and instead relying on fresh, new branding.
I think they're trying to move away from that and transition the casuals they introduced with Wii into being loyal Nintendo franchise purchasing devotees.
The problem is that this strategy relies on casuals automatically wanting to buy the Wii U because they loved the Wii so much. Convincing them to get on board will be much more of an uphill battle than they had expected.

what really sucks about Nintendo is when you expect a product from them to really fail they find ways to get some silly fad going around the product and it just takes off

I would not mind seeming them fall flat with WiiU because of the power but I will not bet against them. People saying it will not match the Wii success or grandma will not buy a WiiU because she already has a Wii could still find that the reverse is true.

I hate how NintendoLand looks but I doubt my hate for it will cause it to fail
LLShC.gif

AzaK

And/or laughable.
I wish I could laugh about it, but this e3 has made me cry at everything Nintendo now :)

Bg, I even sense that you, the bastion of calm throughout the build up to e3, are getting the odd twitch of insanity regarding what you saw at e3.
what really sucks about Nintendo is when you expect a product from them to really fail they find ways to get some silly fad going around the product and it just takes off

I would not mind seeming them fall flat with WiiU because of the power but I will not bet against them. People saying it will not match the Wii success or grandma will not buy a WiiU because she already has a Wii could still find that the reverse is true.

LLShC.gif
Well if you look at the recent financials, Nintendo did fail. A Massive install base with all the world at their fingertips and they jut couldn't keep it going. Now their shares are in the shitter. Thing is, even if they go to the shit and sell only 10 million Wii U's they will still carry on the same way and the only real people who suffer are us the gamers.

Sorry all, on a negative Nintendo trip after that fucking conference and shitty title showcase.

LLShC.gif

I like the concept. I just don't like they gave all that time to it during the conference.

I wish I could laugh about it, but this e3 has made me cry at everything Nintendo now :)

Bg, I even sense that you, the bastion of calm throughout the build up to e3, are getting the odd twitch of insanity regarding what you saw at e3.

For me it was "You have the games! Why don't you show you have them?!"

Instead we got what we saw at E3 and those recent comments by Moffitt.

AzaK

I like the concept. I just don't like they gave all that time to it during the conference.

Yeah, it was a rather poor choice. However I saw you comment on the CPU in a way that made me think you're not impressed. Something about Nintendo underestimating what's needed and really just doing why they want.

Anyway, I'm going to try and forget about e3 and let the near finished games and upcoming lineup speak for themselves. That will be real information I can use to make a better purchasing decision on. However I will finish with "Fuck you Nintendo. Grrrr"

You know, I look at the lineup and I get where the hate comes from. Thing is, I get why Nintendo is doing this. It's an overreaction to the 3DS reveal where they blew a huge wad but didn't actually deliver and got ridiculous amounts of backlash for it when the post launch drought hit.

They're strictly talking launch window titles and stuff that's pre announced. Lot of the titles they're showing don't get the "core gamer" jazzed but I counted 4 guaranteed multi million sellers just in the launch window.

So yeah, did E3 kind of suck for us? Yep. Does it actually matter? I severely doubt it.

I tried this before with the leaked shot, but since we've got cleaner images I'm doing it again. Since if the screen changed size it was by less than a tenth of an inch, that's what I used as the basis for scaling and centering.
T3Pvy.gif

Yeah, it was a rather poor choice. However I saw you comment on the CPU in a way that made me think you're not impressed. Something about Nintendo underestimating what's needed and really just doing why they want.

Anyway, I'm going to try and forget about e3 and let the near finished games and upcoming lineup speak for themselves. That will be real information I can use to make a better purchasing decision on. However I will finish with "Fuck you Nintendo. Grrrr"

If you remember, when Arkam was first making his posts we were saying it sounded like their issues were with the CPU. I talked about that about a day or two before the Ubisoft thread was made about the CPU. I said that:

It's possible that both the audio DSP and ARM I/O are not being used by some of the ones having issues and it's all being placed on the CPU to handle what they would have. And knowing Nintendo they probably didn't design the CPU to have that kind of burden put on it since they added the two other components to begin with.

That was more of an extreme as they would be used, but not to their full extent most likely. For better or worse Nintendo likes "balance" and this may be for the worse in this case.

You know, I look at the lineup and I get where the hate comes from. Thing is, I get why Nintendo is doing this. It's an overreaction to the 3DS reveal where they blew a huge wad but didn't actually deliver and got ridiculous amounts of backlash for it when the post launch drought hit.

They're strictly talking launch window titles and stuff that's pre announced. Lot of the titles they're showing don't get the "core gamer" jazzed but I counted 4 guaranteed multi million sellers just in the launch window.

So yeah, did E3 kind of suck for us? Yep. Does it actually matter? I severely doubt it.

Same thing I've been saying about the 3DS overreaction.

And other than current perception, E3 sucking won't matter.

AzaK

If you remember, when Arkam was first making his posts we were saying it sounded like their issues were with the CPU. I talked about that about a day or two before the Ubisoft thread was made about the CPU. I said that:

That was more of an extreme as they would be used, but not to their full extent most likely. For better or worse Nintendo likes "balance" and this may be for the worse in this case.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah having a dedicated Audio subsystem but with devs using crossplatform middleware that is CPU intensive, basically means there's a whole set of tech not being used. I can't see why any half decent middleware wouldn't add support for dedicated hardware (in full or part) in order to be better than their competition.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I think this is spot on, and it's something I've thought about after E3. Nintendo has said time and time again that they have learned lessons from the 3DS launch, unfortunately I think Nintendo is trying to address those problems to a fault. In 2010, we saw all these amazing games in the future for the system. When we learned the launch titles, it was extremely disappointing, and Nintendo thought they could price the system high based on people buying it at launch for the promise of these games. Now Nintendo is thinking: we have to show them that there are good games in the launch, but now they are completely ignoring the future. We need both. I definitely buy a console with more in mind than the launch titles.

In addition, this line of thinking also makes me nervous about the cost. I get the idea that Nintendo doesn't think the 3DS price was necessarily too high, but too high for the software that was available for it. I kind of agree with them, but I think the probability of 3DS being a smash hit even with the right software at $249.99 is considerably lower than the $169.99 price point. I fear Nintendo is checking a list (yep, we got Mario for universal appeal, yep we got Pikmin for the "core", Wii Fit U for the casuals) so that they can price the system a bit higher than they should in my opinion.

Mistle

I tried this before with the leaked shot, but since we've got cleaner images I'm doing it again. Since if the screen changed size it was by less than a tenth of an inch, that's what I used as the basis for scaling and centering.
T3Pvy.gif
Man, I like the newer design so much more. It's a shame it had to become a bit wider, but it couldn't be helped. It just looks a lot more comfortable.

I can't believe we were almost doomed to a generation of console circle pads.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Anyone Expecting a Nintendo Direct for Japanese WiiU Software soon?

IIRC- there is supposed to be a presentation in Japan right after E3. Probably just showing off stuff like Nintendoland to Japanese journalists, but I wouldn't be shocked if some 3rd party stuff is shown.

Man, I like the newer design so much more. It's a shame it had to become a bit wider, but it couldn't be helped. It just looks a lot more comfortable.

I can't believe we were almost doomed to a generation of console circle pads.

E3 sucked so much I hardly heard of read from any of the most informed sources about the feel and the impressions of holding and using the New GamePad

sad :(

although I tend to go to GiantBomb for my info :|
not a good place for Nintendo news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom