• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that someone said it can't be right because lherre said that it would be able to run 2 threads per core.
This article seems to say different and back the other "dev".

The upgrade Wii cpu is not a bad idea. At least it guarantees 100% software compatible with Wii games.

Come on ! Wii's CPUx3 is just impossible. Do you really think they took 3 Wii CPU then ducttaped those ?
+ Every games would be hit by the CPU.

HylianTom

Banned
That's it, Wii U had a good run, I'm leaving this hobbie for good.
Ehh.. I'll never, ever give it up, but I've put myself on a diet as far as the media that surrounds it is concerned. The analysts, the doomsayers, the haters, the politics, the cesspool of "pseudo-concerned" commentators - it's all gotten quite tiresome, and I find my gaming happiess level being directly related to my playtime.

Just gonna be happy and play..

Ehh.. I'll never, ever give it up, but I've put myself on a diet as far as the media that surrounds it is concerned. The analysts, the doomsayers, the haters, the politics, the cesspool of "pseudo-concerned" commentators - it's all gotten quite tiresome, and I find my gaming happiess level being directly related to my playtime.

Words of wisdom...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No, sorry. What I can say though is that SMT is pretty much useless on lean and mean cores like PPC750 or PPC470. It would probably decrease efficiency and performance in the end.

Do you think it's based on Power7 core but customised to include full backward compatibility instruction set?

Seems that Power7 also uses out of order execution so that ties in with Gekko and Wii cpu.

StevieP

Banned
Do you think it's based on Power7 core but customised to include full backward compatibility instruction set?

Seems that Power7 also uses out of order execution so that ties in with Gekko and Wii cpu.

I can't speak for wsippel but I don't think Power7 has a home in any console in some stripped down form. I think Grandpa Simpson was right all along in (some customized form of) the 47x lineage.

antonz

Overclocked broadway is bullshit.

Even if they overclocked broadway another 50% which would be 100% above base specs you would only have 3 cores running at roughly 1.1ghz not to mention the fact the chip itself was never designed to be going into these ranges.

Thermal specs for Broadway allowed it to reach around 1ghz max. 3 Cores from 1999 at 1ghz would have no chance of being able to keep up with the PS3/360 let alone next gen

TunaLover

Sounds like just I need =)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I can't speak for wsippel but I don't think Power7 has a home in any console in some stripped down form. I think Grandpa Simpson was right all along in (some customized form of) the 47x lineage.

We have this:-

Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM (shown above). It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/

Watson is based on power7 architecture.

That's probably referring IBM's 45nm SOI process and on-chip eDRAM. Also, wsippel would be better at explaining this, but the Green Hills compiler being used w/ Wii U is not compatible w/ the 64-bit design of POWER7. On the other hand, it would be compatible w/ the 32-bit 476fp. There are just alot of things that point to a modified 470 series core being used in Wii U, Wii BC being primary among them.

abe_simpson_wink.gif

wsippel

Banned

I'm sure the chip will contain some POWER7 and even A2 ideas, but won't be technically based on those cores. From the few vague details and rumors, the chip seems to be very unlike any known PowerPC. An amalgamation of features and concepts from many different chips, including A2 (L2 eDRAM), Cell (asymmetric configuration, supposedly ring bus) and Broadway (L1d locking, write gather pipe, custom SIMD instructions), as well as to my knowledge new features like per-core DMA (I think that's a feature typically found in DSPs, not CPUs).

cyberheater

That's probably referring IBM's 45nm SOI process and on-chip eDRAM. Also, wsippel would be better at explaining this, but the Green Hills compiler being used w/ Wii U is not compatible w/ the 64-bit design of POWER7. On the other hand, it would be compatible w/ the 32-bit 476fp. There are just alot of things that point to a modified 470 series core being used in Wii U, Wii BC being primary among them.

I'm sure the chip will contain some POWER7 and even A2 ideas, but won't be technically based on those cores. From the few vague details and rumors, the chip seems to be very unlike any known PowerPC. An amalgamation of features and concepts from many different chips, including A2 (L2 eDRAM), Cell (asymmetric configuration, supposedly ring bus) and Broadway (L1d locking, write gather pipe, custom SIMD instructions), as well as to my knowledge new features like per-core DMA (I think that's a feature typically found in DSPs, not CPUs).

Which would explain some of the more recent comments about unoptimised CPU code performance. Looks like Nintendo still has a few tricks up its sleeve.

AzaK

My naive Nintendo fan expectations are hoping that towards the end of next year when the Sony and MS consoles start to make an appearance, we'll see developers getting to grips with Wii U and we'll all of a sudden see a bump in graphical quality in the games.

Current PS3/360 games will not be using "compute shaders" and so Wii U versions will be using straight ports of the standardised graphics tech. PS4/720 will have them no doubt so it would make sense to use them in Wii U (Assuming they are there of course).

Well to be fair there have been posters here pushing the wuu would be PS2, Xbox(ps4), and gamecube (x720). When comparing the power of next Gen.

I have always thought it was x360 plus.

Really I think it will be wii 2.0. Which is fine with me. Wii was the best selling console last Gen. Plus I don't think it would be smart to go against ms/Sony on the tech level.

And I've seen nothing to change that.

And PS4 would not be Xbox in that comparison. For now.

cyberheater

My naive Nintendo fan expectations are hoping that towards the end of next year when the Sony and MS consoles start to make an appearance, we'll see developers getting to grips with Wii U and we'll all of a sudden see a bump in graphical quality in the games.

Well I guess that's up to Nintendo who have had quite a poor record relative to 3rd party devs.

I'm absolutely sure we'll see some graphically lush looking games but realistically, by then. PS720 will be upon us and blow WiiU out of the water. I can't see it any other way.

AzaK

Well I guess that's up to Nintendo who have had quite a poor record relative to 3rd party devs.

I'm absolutely sure we'll see some graphically lush looking games but realistically, by then. PS720 will be upon us and blow WiiU out of the water. I can't see it any other way.

Oh, no doubt they will but that doesn't bother me as much as not getting third parties at all. Hardware suckage aside, western third party support is my biggest concern at the moment. I'm *really* hoping that as we approach the launch, we will hear about the Tomb Raiders, GTA V's etc.

HylianTom

Banned

"Blow it out of the water."

For some reason, I find that phrase so quaint.

Folks are gonna be pausing, looking for splendiferous particley goodness, examining fabric physics differences in short clips.. and they're going to look absolutely ridiculous in doing so.

Blown out of the water.. haha..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Everybody should just invest in a PC alongside one console to finally appreciate and understand gaming nirvana.

Everybody should just invest in a PC alongside one console to finally appreciate and understand gaming nirvana.

Pretty much. I had a great generation with my Wii, my (now-aging) high-end PC and my DS. I missed out on some exclusives but got a decent range of PS360 ports, some great PC exclusives, the huge DS catalogue and a great many Wii games (my collection ticked over 100 recently!). I've since snapped up a PSPGo and I'm scarfing up the few exclusives there I liked the look of.

I may have been able to have a satisfying gen just owning the Wii/DS combo, but the PC gave me (proper!) HD gaming and games that just weren't possible on the Nintendo systems and a huge range of indie titles. Although there are one or two titles I'd like to have played, I don't otherwise regret not investing in a 360 or PS3.

snesfreak

Banned
I have a PC, but I can barely use it for gaming (stupid hot as hell 4850.)
I have a 360 now though.
I'll get a 720 in 2020, it should be nice and cheap by then lol.

The Boat

Played this today, although I wasn't exactly skeptical I'm really sold after playing it.

The controller is really comfortable, the first thing EVERYONE said when they first picked it up was "Wow this is light!". Even though I read numerous times online that it was light, I was still impressed. The screen looks lovely and using the finger works perfectly, just like an iPad. The only thing I didn't like was the stylus which was way too thin, I think something a little bulkier would feel better.

Oh and the Pro controller is probably the most comfortable controller I've ever held. Of course that I'll reserve judgment until I've spend hours with it and having the face buttons on the bottom is confusing at first, but damnit it's a good controller. Still don't understand why they didn't include analog triggers in both controllers.

I'm pumped.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Played this today, although I wasn't exactly skeptical I'm really sold after playing it.

The controller is really comfortable, the first thing EVERYONE said when they first picked it up was "Wow this is light!". Even though I read numerous times online that it was light, I was still impressed. The screen looks lovely and using the finger works perfectly, just like an iPad. The only thing I didn't like was the stylus which was way too thin, I think something a little bulkier would feel better.

Oh and the Pro controller is probably the most comfortable controller I've ever held. Of course that I'll reserve judgment until I've spend hours with it and having the face buttons on the bottom is confusing at first, but damnit it's a good controller. Still don't understand why they didn't include analog triggers in both controllers.

I'm pumped.

Thanks for the impressions- can we get more specific impressions of the software?

chris3116

Pretty much this

It will be my 3rd gen on PC/Nintendo console and very soon with the Wii U/PC. I had a 360 for only the XBLA. Maybe I'll get another console when the DD games will be matured next gen.

Ryoku

So you feel the next gen console are going to be weak? PS4 seems to be a beast at this point. 1.8 tflop gpu and an quad core apu.

I don't see where you got this out of his comment.
PS4, from what I know, will be the Gamecube of next generation (in terms of relative power, of course), while the next Xbox will be the Xbox. I think from what we know, PS4 only has a better GPU compared to the Next Xbox.

So you feel the next gen console are going to be weak? PS4 seems to be a beast at this point. 1.8 tflop gpu and an quad core apu.

You're misunderstanding what PS4 will be then based on this post. It's not a discrete GPU AND an APU. The 1.8TFLOP GPU is IN the APU with four Steamroller cores, or at least that was originally their plan as things point now to them using Jaguar cores.

USC-fan

Banned
PS4, from what I know, will be the Gamecube of next generation (in terms of relative power, of course), while the next Xbox will be the Xbox. I think from what we know, PS4 only has a better GPU compared to the Next Xbox.

Well comparing the wuu to ps2 and then x720/ps4 to xbox/gc. Seems to lead the next gen console will also not be very powerful. Seeing the wuu is not that powerful going by every leak that have been posted and e3 showing. Now we have a leak today saying the wuu will be closer to the next ipad to the next gen console from ms/sony.

Something not adding up here....

You're misunderstanding what PS4 will be then based on this post. It's not a discrete GPU AND an APU. The 1.8TFLOP GPU is IN the APU with four Steamroller cores, or at least that was originally their plan as things point now to them using Jaguar cores.
Oh no i understand. What you are saying is impossible at 28nm. No way in this world they can fit a 1.8tflop gpu in an apu. Its either a discrete gpu and cpu. Or discrete gpu and apu. Every rumor have said apu....

Then the gamecube-xbox comparison is off because the xbox had an advantage over the gamecube in almost every way and it doesn't look like that will be the case for the ps4/720. I think the whole ps2-gc-xbox analogy is way to simplistic to begin with, especially doing a 1:1 comparison. Every gen is different.

Donnie

Well comparing the wuu to ps2 and then x720/ps4 to xbox/gc. Seems to lead the next gen console will also not be very powerful. Seeing the wuu is not that powerful going by every leak that have been posted and e3 showing. Now we have a leak today saying the wuu will be closer to the next ipad to the next gen console from ms/sony.

It doesn't add up because you're using completely subjective comments from lots of different people on various devices to try to come to a conclusion for the comparison of said devices.

For instance, what kind of comment is "WiiU will be closer to the next ipad to the next gen console" to base an opinion on? Its hyperbole, but you're using it like its real info, it isn't.

The Boat

Thanks for the impressions- can we get more specific impressions of the software?

Sure, I don't have a lot of time and maybe I'll play it again tomorrow or so, didn't have a chance to play everything, but I can type a few lines. Excuse me for harping on "fun", but I'm tired and that was really the main thing.

New Super Mario Bros U was great, it's what you expect of a Mario game really, it's fast, fluid and seems to be a lot more vertical than before, probably something else it shares with World. What really changes things up is the game pad, I know that it's one of those things people dismiss as being a trivial detail like the bubble, but it really shook things up, it's one more way of adding cooperation or competition.
Not only that, there's a lot going on in the screen. The one with the pad is creating blocks left and right, paying attention to all the players, helping or hindering and then there are tons of enemies and different ways to go about things.

It looks really good too, it might not be a bold art style like many want, but it's very pretty and it's a much more solid direction than before.

We were always screaming, laughing and cursing, it's just one of those things that online play can't replicate, even if you can do those things alone in your couch.

I'll make it shorter now lol

Nintendo Land was a blast. Seriously, I REALLY enjoyed it, especially Luigi's Mansion and Zelda Battle Quest, if people give it a chance I can see this becoming a huge party game and it seems like it could be nice for a few single player sessions too.

Project P-100 wow what a ride. I had no idea what was going at first, lots of buttons and possible actions, but it was always a blast even when I was going at it blindly. You can draw formations with the right stick or the pad and it's really easy to draw on the pad, I didn't even need to look and didn't fail once. I thought it was really good graphically too, lots of details and things moving and some nice effects. Kamiya does no wrong.

ZombiU is indeed a surprise. It was bugged at first, the framerate was shitting all over the place and the touch screen wasn't working, but a reset fixed it. It really felt like a great stab at survival horror, there's always a decision to be made, do you shoot or melee, run or fight, spring or go carefully, go for the item box or play it safe, scan the environment or keep on going... There's also some gore and weird stuff going on. Loved going between the pad and TV, like I was watching my back.

Multiplayer capture the flag is great, the guy on the pad controls it like sort of an RTS/Tower defense game and deploys zombies to capture flags and kill the guy playing with the pro controller. A little one-sided maybe, the one with the pad seems to have a huge advantage, but I loved it.
The graphics weren't jaw dropping, but they were pretty good, liked the mood.

Panorama is an interesting piece of software. Very smooth, you can zoom, in the London "level" you can change from night to day instantly and with the remote you can "direct" what's on TV like showing a world map or bringing up what previous players saw and stuff like that. Nice things could come from this.

This is all I have the patience to write about now, I'm hoping to play the rest this week, especially Pikmin, but if you have any specific questions, go ahead.

USC-fan

Banned
You know why it doesn't add up? You're using completely subjective comments from lots of different people to try to come to a conclusion, that doesn't work.

For instance, what on earth kind of comment is "WiiU will be closer to the next ipad to the next gen console" to base an opinion on? Its hyperbole, but you're using it like its real info, it isn't.
Its based on that like the ipad, it will have to have engines built for it instead of using engines based for the other next gen consoles.

That is the way I took it to mean.

For example UE will end up running on ipad for example but it will not be the exact same that is running the x720/ps4.

Oh no i understand. What you are saying is impossible at 28nm. No way in this world they can fit a 1.8tflop gpu in an apu. Its either a discrete gpu and cpu. Or discrete gpu and apu. Every rumor have said apu....

I think it's very possible. Even Sony's CTO said as much.

HylianTom

Banned
Oh this tread is still around? What are we living towards now? Launch or is there something in between?
I'm guessing that this'll be our place until maybe Launch Day?

Although I could see a new thread being made after price and Launch Day being announced. I'm still expecting some very entertaining live camping coverage, good accounts of people trying it out during Nintendo's publicity tour, reactions to game confirmations/anticonfirmations, etc.

(I'm really, reeeeally looking forward to the time when we talk more about the games themselves instead of what's under the hood.)

Ryoku

Then the gamecube-xbox comparison is off because the xbox had an advantage over the gamecube in almost every way and it doesn't look like that will be the case for the ps4/720. I think the whole ps2-gc-xbox analogy is way to simplistic to begin with, especially doing a 1:1 comparison. Every gen is different.

I'm talking about general/overall power differences with the sixth-gen console analogy.

The power comparison involves relative power differences between each console of the same generation. To make it more clear, I expect the power differences between the Wii U/PS4/Xbox3 to be roughly similar to that of the sixth generation of consoles.

Regarding the bold:

Now we have a leak today saying the wuu will be closer to the next ipad to the next gen console from ms/sony.

That is simply not true at all, even though the article may suggest it. Next iPad won't even reach PS360 levels.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Sure, I don't have a lot of time and maybe I'll play it again tomorrow or so, didn't have a chance to play everything, but I can type a few lines. Excuse me for harping on "fun", but I'm tired and that was really the main thing.

New Super Mario Bros U was great, it's what you expect of a Mario game really, it's fast, fluid and seems to be a lot more vertical than before, probably something else it shares with World. What really changes things up is the game pad, I know that it's one of those things people dismiss as being a trivial detail like the bubble, but it really shook things up, it's one more way of adding cooperation or competition.
Not only that, there's a lot going on in the screen. The one with the pad is creating blocks left and right, paying attention to all the players, helping or hindering and then there are tons of enemies and different ways to go about things.

It looks really good too, it might not be a bold art style like many want, but it's very pretty and it's a much more solid direction than before.

We were always screaming, laughing and cursing, it's just one of those things that online play can't replicate, even if you can do those things alone in your couch.

I'll make it shorter now lol

Nintendo Land was a blast. Seriously, I REALLY enjoyed it, especially Luigi's Mansion and Zelda Battle Quest, if people give it a chance I can see this becoming a huge party game and it seems like it could be nice for a few single player sessions too.

Project P-100 wow what a ride. I had no idea what was going at first, lots of buttons and possible actions, but it was always a blast even when I was going at it blindly. You can draw formations with the right stick or the pad and it's really easy to draw on the pad, I didn't even need to look and didn't fail once. I thought it was really good graphically too, lots of details and things moving and some nice effects. Kamiya does no wrong.

ZombiU is indeed a surprise. It was bugged at first, the framerate was shitting all over the place and the touch screen wasn't working, but a reset fixed it. It really felt like a great stab at survival horror, there's always a decision to be made, do you shoot or melee, run or fight, spring or go carefully, go for the item box or play it safe, scan the environment or keep on going... There's also some gore and weird stuff going on. Loved going between the pad and TV, like I was watching my back.

Multiplayer capture the flag is great, the guy on the pad controls it like sort of an RTS/Tower defense game and deploys zombies to capture flags and kill the guy playing with the pro controller. A little one-sided maybe, the one with the pad seems to have a huge advantage, but I loved it.
The graphics weren't jaw dropping, but they were pretty good, liked the mood.

Panorama is an interesting piece of software. Very smooth, you can zoom, in the London "level" you can change from night to day instantly and with the remote you can "direct" what's on TV like showing a world map or bringing up what previous players saw and stuff like that. Nice things could come from this.

This is all I have the patience to write about now, I'm hoping to play the rest this week, especially Pikmin, but if you have any specific questions, go ahead.
Did any games use the digital clicks?

As for Pikmin, please try the Gamepad controls if you get the time. Most people have used the wiimote controls, so we have few impressions using the gamepad.

Also, if the powerbrick is visible try to sneak a photo. :)

Missed this post. I've made it known at times that it was a rough/simple analogy.

I'm guessing that this'll be our place until maybe Launch Day?

Although I could see a new thread being made after price and Launch Day being announced. I'm still expecting some very entertaining live camping coverage, good accounts of people trying it out during Nintendo's publicity tour, reactions to game confirmations/anticonfirmations, etc.

(I'm really, reeeeally looking forward to the time when we talk more about the games themselves instead of what's under the hood.)

What are games?

The Boat

Did any games use the digital clicks?

As for Pikmin, please try the Gamepad controls if you get the time. Most people have used the wiimote controls, so we have few impressions using the gamepad.

Also, if the powerbrick is visible try to sneak a photo. :)

Hmm I think P-100 uses the clicks for zooming. It works, I don't really like clicky sticks, but they work. Hmm it migh be visible didn't even think about it. They don't let you take photos of the hardware unless you're holding it, so maybe they'll let me... hold the brick? lol

Donnie

Its based on that like the ipad, it will have to have engines built for it instead of using engines based for the other next gen consoles.

That is the way I took it to mean.

For example UE will end up running on ipad for example but it will not be the exact same that is running the x720/ps4.

That may have been his meaning, but what does that actually tell us that we can use to come to a conclusion on the relative power of each console? There's a massive range between the next Ipad's likely performance (120Gflops or so?) and the point at which Epic says UE4 will not be the full engine (anything under 1Tflop).

Some weird things made to sold technology.

So that's the real reason why we talk about the hardware? Get outta here. That's nonsensical.

That may have been his meaning, but what does that actually tell us that we can use to come to a conclusion on the relative power of each console? There's a massive range between the next Ipad's likely performance (120Gflops or so?) and the point at which Epic says UE4 will not be the full engine (anything under 1Tflop).

Are we sure about that last part? He only said it gets interesting over 1TFLOP. It could be 2-3TFLOPs needed for a game using the full effects for all we know right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom