• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

SuomiDude

Has anyone tried HP Simplesave 1Tb HDD yet? I noticed from this thread that 2Tb version works, so this one should as well, but just want to be sure. I could buy 1Tb HDD for 65€, sound pretty good to me.

CorySchmitz

I've been using the Toshiba 1TB Canvio. It was working great.

I just moved, & went to plug it in in my new apartment, & now it doesn't work! The little blue light is on, I can hear the disk spinning, but no activity on the Wii U.

I've tried formatting it, & that didn't work either, just says "Checking USB storage device..." forever.

I checked & it works fine on my computer.

Any help? Do I need to buy a new hard drive?

OryoN

I've been using the Toshiba 1TB Canvio. It was working great.

I just moved, & went to plug it in in my new apartment, & now it doesn't work! The little blue light is on, I can hear the disk spinning, but no activity on the Wii U.

I've tried formatting it, & that didn't work either, just says "Checking USB storage device..." forever.

I checked & it works fine on my computer.

Any help? Do I need to buy a new hard drive?

Are you using a y-cable? If so, make sure to test both ports of your Y-cable on the PC. Of course, don't forget to try the other USB ports on the Wii U.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Was using an internal hdd in an enclosure before, started having problems(couldn't download directly to the hdd, had to download to the Wii U memory, then copy it over, eventually that stopped working with large files. Then I started getting the same problems I'm having now). So I bought a 500GB Buffalo external hard drive(Y cable), it was working great for a while, then I started getting occasional error's, now I'm getting them all the time, and I'm lucky if I can even get the Wii U to recognize it when I turn it on. I haven't tried the front usb ports yet.

I think it's a problem with my Wii U though, it has other issues as well with loading, startup takes a while, longer than it should, or used to. I guess I'll look into Nintendo's support and see if there's anything that can be done, but I'm worried they're just going to blame the HDD's.

The old one I was using works fine with my PC now btw, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Buffalo one, it hasn't been moved at all.

The Boat

Bump. I'm starting to have space issues because of all these digital games, I don't feel like buying a new HDD right now, I have the 60 GB HDD I took out of my PS3 Phat enclosed and I have a Y-USB cable, should work right?

Anyway, the more pressing question since 60 GB isn't a lot: when I get a bigger HDD how easy will it be to move stuff? I take it that I can move from internal and then to the new HDD? Anyone ever did this?

Eusis

Bump. I'm starting to have space issues because of all these digital games, I don't feel like buying a new HDD right now, I have the 60 GB HDD I took out of my PS3 Phat enclosed and I have a Y-USB cable, should work right?

Anyway, the more pressing question since 60 GB isn't a lot: when I get a bigger HDD how easy will it be to move stuff? I take it that I can move from internal and then to the new HDD? Anyone ever did this?
Yeah, you can move from external to internal, though I imagine that can be time consuming. Probably not as much as redownloading it all though, but if it comes down to it you can at least get all your save data off and onto internal storage.

And your 60 GB PS3 HDD? I'd seriously recommend going to a new drive ASAP just in case your PS3 breaks and you want to send it in for repair, they will want the original HDD for that. Nevermind the fact it's like 6-7 years old now.

The Boat

Yeah, you can move from external to internal, though I imagine that can be time consuming. Probably not as much as redownloading it all though, but if it comes down to it you can at least get all your save data off and onto internal storage.

And your 60 GB PS3 HDD? I'd seriously recommend going to a new drive ASAP just in case your PS3 breaks and you want to send it in for repair, they will want the original HDD for that. Nevermind the fact it's like 6-7 years old now.
Yeah, you're right (although I'm hoping it won't break :p), I just don't have the money right now to buy a new HDD, but I'll get around to it. Thanks!

Carlisle

I have a bus powered drive with a Y cable, but it works fine on Wii U without the 2nd cable plugged in. Should I plug it in anyway as a precaution, or am I cool to leave that 2nd USB port open?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hate to bring this back up, but has anyone found out if WD My passport will work on Wii U with a Y cable.

I just got a new WD passport today for my Wii U and can confirm that the drive works just fine with a Y cable

Aiustis

I have an old iomega prestige from 3 or 4 years ago. It's got the power cable, and it's only 160 but it's 2.0 and works.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hi everyone
I'm going to a shopping mall looking for what I can find out in terms of HDD for my Wii U.
Can someone explain me, with very simple words, what I should look at?

Which characteristics I have to look for to be sure that it works properly with the Wii U (Y cable, and so on...what is this?)
Which could be a right size in terms of memory storage considering that I'll probably receive some DD code also for retail games (Deus ex is 16 Gb...it filled up my Premium!!!)
Which could be a right price for those siezes?

sorry for the stupid question, but I'm really dumb when it comes to electronics...

Hi everyone
I'm going to a shopping mall looking for what I can find out in terms of HDD for my Wii U.
Can someone explain me, with very simple words, what I should look at?

Which characteristics I have to look for to be sure that it works properly with the Wii U (Y cable, and so on...what is this?)
Which could be a right size in terms of memory storage considering that I'll probably receive some DD code also for retail games (Deus ex is 16 Gb...it filled up my Premium!!!)
Which could be a right price for those siezes?

sorry for the stupid question, but I'm really dumb when it comes to electronics...

Basically, you want a USB drive that is externally powered. This will basically guarantee it works.

Get as much storage as you can afford if you think you're going to be going digital a lot.

I have an externally powered Western Digital My Book, 250GB, it's doing me just fine. I have lots of storage left on it and have about 12 virtual console games, 3 or 4 eshop games and about 5/6 full retail downloads.

Hope that helps.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Basically, you want a USB drive that is externally powered. This will basically guarantee it works.

Get as much storage as you can afford if you think you're going to be going digital a lot.

I have an externally powered Western Digital My Book, 250GB, it's doing me just fine. I have lots of storage left on it and have about 12 virtual console games, 3 or 4 eshop games and about 5/6 full retail downloads.

Hope that helps.

Great start: I'll take a look today, and later on I'll look also on the web.
So, externally powered, and good balance between size and price. Good.

patientx

Western Digital Elements 1 TB works without Y cable or external power source. In my experience though, from time to time I need to change the port I connect the HDD to in the Wii U. Sometimes front ports work sometimes back ports. But this doesn't happen very often. I had to change the port like 5-6 times since I bought the Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ok, prices here in store are crazy (80 € for a 500 Gb HDD...), so I'll take a look online or, better, ask to a colleague to bring it one from HK (were prices are lower...way lower!)
What about USB? Should it work 2.0? 2.5? 3.0?
So I can ask him to pay attention to the external power and to the USB number

kitsuneyo

Suppose I use a 60GB HDD I've got lying around and then buy a bigger one in future, can I move games between drives easily?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I need it because they are not externally powered? I thought that the "usb powered" was the right one :\
could you point me out on amazon.uk a "right" HDD just to understand which is it? sorry to bother you..

Do you mean an externally powered?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031SZRZG/

This would be an example. But why bother? there'll be one extra power cable, it makes more noise. My advice is to get a usb powered one and the cheap y cable. :)

I have a WD passport 320 gb myself.

Suppose I use a 60GB HDD I've got lying around and then buy a bigger one in future, can I move games between drives easily?
Yes, super easy. Drag and Drop in system settings kinda easy.

Goodlife

I need it because they are not externally powered? I thought that the "usb powered" was the right one :\
could you point me out on amazon.uk a "right" HDD just to understand which is it? sorry to bother you..

The USB powered ones will work fine if you have a Y-cable (plugs the HDD into 2 USB ports, instead of just one)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Do you mean an externally powered?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031SZRZG/

This would be an example. But why bother? there'll be one extra power cable, it makes more noise. My advice is to get a usb powered one and the cheap y cable. :)

I have a WD passport 320 gb myself.

Yes, super easy. Drag and Drop in system settings kinda easy.

I'd just like to avoid to buy an HDD exactly for the Wii U that risks to not work on the Wii U.
If you are quite sure about the fact that those two should 99% work with the Y cable you linked, I'd proceed...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just like to avoid to buy an HDD exactly for the Wii U that risks to not work on the Wii U.
If you are quite sure about the fact that those two should 99% work with the Y cable you linked, I'd proceed...

I'm quite sure, but I would feel uncomfortable guaranteeing any other drive than the drive I'm using myself. What I can guarantee is that the cable I linked will fit the drive and the Wii U :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007UOW8LI/

If you want to be 100% sure, you basically have to get one of those already mentioned in OP, or specified by Nintendo themselves. But there's absolutely no reaon I can think of to why the ones you've linked to shouldn't work when my passport drive does (with a y cable).

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/W...es/Compatible-USB-storage-devices-676063.html

So we cannot guarantee that such devices will run properly on the Wii U without the use of a supplemental power cable called a y-cable that draws power from two USB ports

They're basically saying that any self-powered device will work with an y cable on their website too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm quite sure, but I would feel uncomfortable gueranteeing any other drive than the drive I'm using myself. What I can guarantee is that the cable I linked will fit the drive and the Wii U :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007UOW8LI/

If you want to be 100% sure, you basically have to get one of those already mentioned in OP, or specified by Nintendo themselves. But there's absolutely no reaon I can think of to why the ones you've linked to shouldn't work when my passport drive does (with a y cable).

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/W...es/Compatible-USB-storage-devices-676063.html

They're basically saying that any self-powered device will work with an y cable on their website too.

first of all, thank you very much.
I'm so toooooorned....grrr...I have to decide what to do...

Timeaisis

The fact that best buy has literally zero ac-powered external hard-drives save the $90 toshiba really annoys me. I really don't want to do the y-cable thing for some reason.

7threst

Not sure if it is already answered in this thread but couldn't find it...

I use a usb-stick for extra storage but now my WiiU saves everything to the usb instead of my harddrive. Is there any way you can set priorities of where to save content, so that everything is saved on the internal harddrive until it is full? It's not really a problem but I just want to have everything on the internal harddrive without manually move data from usb to the internal harddrive.

Not sure if it is already answered in this thread but couldn't find it...

I use a usb-stick for extra storage but now my WiiU saves everything to the usb instead of my harddrive. Is there any way you can set priorities of where to save content, so that everything is saved on the internal harddrive until it is full? It's not really a problem but I just want to have everything on the internal harddrive without manually move data from usb to the internal harddrive.

It just sends everything to the external storage automatically. It's annoying but hopefully they allow us to select which drive we want something saved to before downloading at some point with an update.

Eusis

It just sends everything to the external storage automatically. It's annoying but hopefully they allow us to select which drive we want something saved to before downloading at some point with an update.
Would be nice to have this set to different types of data too. I certainly don't mind games all going to the hard drive, but I'd rather keep saves locally unless they'll release updates that let me just stick a hard drive into another Wii U and use it after activating it under my NNID or whatever. But until something like that happens I'd rather just keep saves on solid state storage.

Bullza2o

I have a basic and would like to download Wii Fit U.

Just now I saw that Amazon has a USB 3.0 flash drive on sale, and I'm interested in the 32GB for $15. I know flash drives are discouraged, but will USB 3.0 essentially maximize the USB 2.0 speed the Wii U requires? Will I have any problems using this?

Link:

SuomiDude

I'd like to thank Roboleon that helped me out. My HDD arrived and works perfectly, with the Y cable :)
Was it one of the two you linked or something else? Those which you linked seem pretty cheap and I might pick one if it works with the y-cable.

ozfunghi

I know i'm responding to an older post, but you can have 2 external HDD's hooked up, as you can see in the settings menu. And since the WiiU has 4 USB ports, you should be able to connect them at the same time, even if you need a Y cable. So i assume, you can transfer from HDD to HDD... this is just speculation on my part though, because i haven't tried it.

plank

Teraflops are over kill for me I don't think that I'll be downloading that many software through out the console's life it will just be a waste of HD space. All I want is something along the line of 200-300GBs but Best Buy and the like are only selling 1 teraflop or more. the last place I have yet to look is MicroCcenter, and that halfway across town where there is usually lots of traffic. Such a pain. :/

69wpm

Teraflops are over kill for me I don't think that I'll be downloading that many software through out the console's life it will just be a waste of HD space. All I want is something along the line of 200-300GBs but Best Buy and the like are only selling 1 teraflop or more. the last place I have yet to look is MicroCcenter, and that halfway across town where there is usually lots of traffic. Such a pain. :/

You mean Terabyte. I'd just get a used one from eBay, USB 3.0 and anything above 500 GB is overkill in my opinion.

If you go by Gamestop, they might actually have a PDP Wii U branded 320GB. It's nice and small, comes with the Y cable and works perfectly. It's usually $80 though, so it's not the GREATEST deal, but it's tiny and convenient. It was also $10 off when I got it, so YMMV.

Top Bottom