• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

So a thumb drive is technically possible but not recommended. Figures. Thanks for the replies.

What bothers me though is the Wii U's internal drive. It uses flash too, doesn't it? So what makes the wear from it different from that of a regular USB drive?

Not all Flash chips are created equally. Some can read really fast but write REALLY slowly, some do both equally well, others the opposite way around.

For those experiencing lock ups with flash drives and MK8 I wonder if it's trying to write replay data and the drive can't keep up at points.

wilflare

I really hope Nintendo releases a new SKU with more internal storage :/
or at least one that has a removable drive :/

I'll gladly put a 1TB SSHD in there

Ninja Dom

Not all Flash chips are created equally. Some can read really fast but write REALLY slowly, some do both equally well, others the opposite way around.

For those experiencing lock ups with flash drives and MK8 I wonder if it's trying to write replay data and the drive can't keep up at points.

That's exactly it. The lock ups are while I'm playing around with replays after races. Now you've said that I'm guessing the write speed of my flash drive is not fast enough.

Thinking of getting a flash drive for my Wii U (need my free game but I'm full) but they never seem to list read/write speeds, hmmmm what to get

Ninja Dom

Thinking of getting a flash drive for my Wii U (need my free game but I'm full) but they never seem to list read/write speeds, hmmmm what to get

My Memory lists the read & write speed of their flash drives. Be careful though, I'm using one of their own branded flash drives. Advertised as "high speed" but reading the specs it's on the slower side of things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the choice of HDD affect install speeds? Just downloaded WiiU party in about 30 minutes, but now it is saying it'll take 99:59 to install, and it's said that for about half an hour now.

Also it failed to download/install zombiU a few times. Wondering if that might be related to the HDD? Have a WD passport 120GB, and using a USB y-cable to power it.

Edit: tried backing out of the install progress screen and it froze again :(

Ninja Dom

Yes I think it's your Hard Drive that is the issue with the install. My friend downloaded MK 8 on a Wii U Deluxe direct to the internal storage and his install time was 15 mins. He was complaining about this being too long as he's primarily an Xbox gamer. MK 8 is just under 5GB.

With myself, I left the download of MK 8 and Pikmin 3 unattended to my USB thumb drive. When I went back to the Wii U a few hours later the download and installs were complete

Install times and game loading times are all dependent on the storage unit the game is on. I'd love to see some loading comparison times on Mario Kart 8 between physical disc vs HDD vs internal storage (Deluxe) vs USB thumb drive.

I have a question about an usb box 3.5" and a Seagate 500gb 3.5" sata.

I'd like to put the Seagate inside this usb box

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00447O2SG/

This usb box has external power.

Will it works?

it should work just fine, some enclosures do like to cycle down to a low power state when not in use, if the wii u fails to see it when you boot it up, unplug your drives power and plug it back in, itll work just fine again.

Platy

Got a "Seagate Backup Plus PORTABLE Drive" instead of a desktop drive.

I had power problems twice ....is there any usb ports that gives more power ?
Front ones ? back ones ?

I barely have time to test this, let alone search for an Y cord right now =/

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Got a "Seagate Backup Plus PORTABLE Drive" instead of a desktop drive.

I had power problems twice ....is there any usb ports that gives more power ?
Front ones ? back ones ?

I barely have time to test this, let alone search for an Y cord right now =/

You need a Y cord to not have power issues.

Chopper

How problematic are harddrives without their own power source? I know I'd need a Y-cable, but are there any other drawbacks? How seriously would stability be affected?

Asbear

Banned
To people who are using those HDDs that come with an external power supply I have to ask before going there myself: Do they make a lot of noise?

I already owned a 320gb HP harddrive when I got the Wii U and it works okay except for some craaazy audio stuttering in the Sonic Lost World demo, but the biggest problem is that the Harddrive REALLY makes a lot of noise at least to my standards. I can't put it on the floor because you can feel it in your feet across the entire room and I don't want the noise-level to go beyond what the Wii U already makes so I don't have to turn up the TV volume extra high.

So can I get an external HDD with a power supply that doesn't really make noise, or do I need one of the compatible drives that don't have a power supply?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but the official Nintendo US link in the OP doesn't appear to work anymore.

Is there a drive that's considered the best to use an external drive for the Wii U? I'm looking in the 500 GB to 1 TB range.

quick question: When I want to use a new HDD. How do I get all my stuff from the old to the new HDD?
via WiiU or via PC? or do I have to download everything again?

I saw a 1TB HDD for 30 euros at a local thrift store. I can't resist that deal

Shun

quick question: When I want to use a new HDD. How do I get all my stuff from the old to the new HDD?
via WiiU or via PC? or do I have to download everything again?

I saw a 1TB HDD for 30 euros at a local thrift store. I can't resist that deal

You can copy it within the Wii U so long as both drives are plugged in.

If not, if your computer can recognize and mount the hard drive, clone the drive.

JoeFu

Banned
Anyone else use the Toshiba Canvio 1 TB HDTC610XK3B1?

So about 2 weeks ago while playing MK8 I got a message saying "Do not unplug hard drive while system is on" and I thought nothing of it. It later crashed while playing MK8 online and it would cause my Wii U to not boot up properly. Not sure if it's something wrong with the Y cable or if the HDD is just corrupted. Anyways, the only way I could use it again was to format it and I lost all my saves in the process which kinda sucks, but I'm not too mad about that.

It was running fine for a few days and I got the do not unplug hard drive while system is on message again and I'm scared I'm going to lose all my saves again. Wondering if I should get a new HDD or if my USB port is messed up or something.

When plugging in a Powered HDD that only requires 1 USB connection, does it matter which USB outlet you plug it into in the back of the Wii U, or does it draw better from the top or bottom connection?

WiiUbackview.jpg

Shaanyboi

Banned
Has anyone had problems with an inconsistent connection for their external drives? I posted this on their tech support forums and I'm posting it here too...

"I only recently opted to get an external hard drive as my WiiU's internal storage was filling up. Got both the drive and a Y-cable. Moved most of my content to the external drive except for my retail game saves, apps, and Shovel Knight.

My problem is that 3 times out of 5, when backing out of a game (whether it be retail or digital) and returning to the main system menu, the software on the external drive won't appear for about 10 seconds, the screen goes black, and then I get the error code 160-2713. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough that it worries me. I tried switching which cable was plugged into which of the rear ports, but this hasn't changed anything."

Mithos

Gold Member
My problem is that 3 times out of 5, when backing out of a game (whether it be retail or digital) and returning to the main system menu, the software on the external drive won't appear for about 10 seconds, the screen goes black, and then I get the error code 160-2713. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough that it worries me. I tried switching which cable was plugged into which of the rear ports, but this hasn't changed anything."

Sounds like the external drive have gone to powersave/sleep mode or similar, on some external drives you can turn that off.

gar3

Anyone else use the Toshiba Canvio 1 TB HDTC610XK3B1?

So about 2 weeks ago while playing MK8 I got a message saying "Do not unplug hard drive while system is on" and I thought nothing of it. It later crashed while playing MK8 online and it would cause my Wii U to not boot up properly. Not sure if it's something wrong with the Y cable or if the HDD is just corrupted. Anyways, the only way I could use it again was to format it and I lost all my saves in the process which kinda sucks, but I'm not too mad about that.

It was running fine for a few days and I got the do not unplug hard drive while system is on message again and I'm scared I'm going to lose all my saves again. Wondering if I should get a new HDD or if my USB port is messed up or something.
A little late I know but I've been using a Toshiba Canvio 2TB for over a year now without issue. Might be the HDD; might be the USB port :-/

EDIT
Just noticed you use the "portable" drive.
I use the "external" one.
Maybe that's the difference?

So I'm loking at a cheap Toshiba Store Basics 500GB 2.5 USB 3.0 Black (works with 2.0 too) but I would need this Y cord thing for it right? I'm kinda confused about this Y cord.

So I'm loking at a cheap Toshiba Store Basics 500GB 2.5 USB 3.0 Black (works with 2.0 too) but I would need this Y cord thing for it right? I'm kinda confused about this Y cord.

Almost certainly, yes.

The issue is that the USB ports on the Wii U are low power so a typical external hard drive that is designed to be powered via a USB connection [say to a laptop] won't be able to draw enough power to function properly. However, if you use a Y cable then it draws the power from two Wii U USB ports and thus will have sufficient power to function properly. You might be lucky and have a drive that only needs a connection to one USB port but it's pretty uncommon. You can guarantee it will have sufficient power by using a self powered hard drive i.e. it has its own power plug but the Y cable option works if this is not possible.

However, make sure you get the right Y cable for your hard drive. I bought one with the wrong connection to the hard drive and had to buy another one. Second time lucky but I'm just pointing this out as I wouldn't want you to make the same mistake I did :).

Hope that covers it but do feel free to shout if not.

Shun

So we can't transfer JUST the save data from the USB Storage Device to the System Memory?

I want to be able to move only my save over so I can sleep safe knowing my hard work won't be lost if my HDD dies on me. But for right now, it's asking me to transfer EVERYTHING from the actual game to the DLC and update data. I just want to transfer ONLY the save date.

If there it, there must be some inane way of doing it as I've tried a ton of different options already.

Exile20

How problematic are harddrives without their own power source? I know I'd need a Y-cable, but are there any other drawbacks? How seriously would stability be affected?

I got an extension male to female USB cord and the usb to electric outlet plug and used those instead of getting power from the Wii U, plus I free up a usb port.

doowrah

So I was wondering how viable a micro sd card paired with a reader would be for getting the most portable 128 gb possible.

I currently use this
http://amzn.com/B00C6GLF78
as my flash drive for 64 gb, but am running out of space.

I was thinking about this
http://amzn.com/B00IIJ6W4S
paired with
http://amzn.com/B002HGFKR8

Most games I keep on my hard drive are not regularly played, but I'm worried a micro sd might get even fewer read/write cycles. Has anyone tried this?

So I was wondering how viable a micro sd card paired with a reader would be for getting the most portable 128 gb possible.

I currently use this

paired with

Most games I keep on my hard drive are not regularly played, but I'm worried a micro sd might get even fewer read/write cycles. Has anyone tried this?
I don't see how an SD card would be able to keep up with any games that have to stream data.

doowrah

I don't see how an SD card would be able to keep up with any games that have to stream data.

I'm not entirely sure why a game would have to stream data constantly, but the card has been tested to have read speeds up to 44 mb/s. I would have thought USB 2.0 to be the choke point.

Exile20

I currently use this

paired with

elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader -Works up to 32GB- (Black)

SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter - SDSDQUA-128G-G46A

I am not sure that is going to work.

alf717

I'm getting to the point where I may need an HDD for my Wii U and had some questions. Can I store the games on the HDD and keep the saved games on the Wii U console? Also if I get a external powered drive will the drive turn off when I power off the Wii U or will I have to switch if off? Any suggestions would be great.

doowrah

elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader -Works up to 32GB- (Black)

SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter - SDSDQUA-128G-G46A

I am not sure that is going to work.

I understand that there will be no readers rated for 128 gb because this is the first card to exist.

http://amzn.com/B0028R3NCU

This is rated for up to 64gb. Assuming no data slow down, I think this would work just fine considering my current flash drive in place has read speeds around 20 mb/s. Or am I missing something?

Platy

I want to retire my Wii .... so I have a question.

I want to play wii games on the WiiU, but because of how little I play it, I would not like to need to swap disk and stuffs like that ... so my question is ...

Is there any way to set up the same HD so that i works both as an external HD to the WiiU AND a external HD to Wii homebrew loading ?

Like partitions and stuff

Yagami_Sama

My Wii U finally reaches it storage limit.

I am still in doubt what to buy a HDD or a USB Memory Card, if the last works like in the Wii, so any recommendation would be welcome. A part from that I have a question :

If a format the HDD, is it possible to share it in two consoles, like one partition for a Wii U and other for another Wii U ?

M3d10n

I want to retire my Wii .... so I have a question.

I want to play wii games on the WiiU, but because of how little I play it, I would not like to need to swap disk and stuffs like that ... so my question is ...

Is there any way to set up the same HD so that i works both as an external HD to the WiiU AND a external HD to Wii homebrew loading ?

Like partitions and stuff

If a format the HDD, is it possible to share it in two consoles, like one partition for a Wii U and other for another Wii U ?

Nope, AFAIK. It's possible to partition an HDD to be used both by the Wii U and PC, but it's very convoluted and involves messing with "host protected area" to hide the PC partition from the Wii U and vice versa and requires you to disable/enable the HPA every time you want to switch the HDD between the Wii U and a PC.

I'm using this with my WiiU. I have an 8GB model and had to expand the storage for Mario Kart plus the free downloadable title. It works out well. It's only 32GB but, it was only $17 so I'll take it.

Yagami_Sama

I am a little bit confused now. Once I consider buy a USB Flash Drive, and some acquaintances strongly recommended to not use it.
My need it is just for Eshop games. I always prefer retail games.

So, it is ok if a USB Flash Drive instead of a HDD ?

Top Bottom