• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

So I have a 1TB Seagate external hard drive and a 32GB Flash drive.

Would Xenoblade Chronicles X do better if it was installed onto the external hard drive or the flash drive. I remember reading that the external hard drive was the better option, but I'd like to be sure.

Pokemaniac

So I have a 1TB Seagate external hard drive and a 32GB Flash drive.

Would Xenoblade Chronicles X do better if it was installed onto the external hard drive or the flash drive. I remember reading that the external hard drive was the better option, but I'd like to be sure.

It really depends on the quality of the Flash drive. A good Flash drive would be better, but a cheaper one would likely be much worse.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yo GAF I have a 32GB (should I say 25GB?) and that shit became a problem the moment I got Tropical Freeze for 10GB.

Ended up getting a 128GB USB drive for $40 and it works great. Now I have all my digital games + DLC and still have 60GB to spare.

Diffense

I' ve had the Wii U random lock up a few times with a message that the external HDD was disconnected (it was not physically removed). I went into the hidden menu and disabled sleep mode but it still happens sometimes. It's quite infrequent but it happens even while playing games that do not have any data stored on the HDD.

Here's a question:

I am not going to be able to use my Wii U for a month. Usually, I just leave the system unplugged until the month is over. Now that I have an external HDD, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just leave it plugged in? Should I unplug both the Wii U and the external HDD? Any advice is appreciated!

Here's a question:

I am not going to be able to use my Wii U for a month. Usually, I just leave the system unplugged until the month is over. Now that I have an external HDD, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just leave it plugged in? Should I unplug both the Wii U and the external HDD? Any advice is appreciated!

You can leave it plugged in but shut off the system completely. If you're unplugging the entire system from power for the month then that's fine too. Just make sure to fully turn off system before anything else - don't put it in "standby" mode and then pull the plug (ie neither power nor hdd, that could damage the drive if it's transferring data in the background). Let it shut down completely before doing anything further.

You can leave it plugged in but shut off the system completely. If you're unplugging the entire system from power for the month then that's fine too. Just make sure to fully turn off system before anything else - don't put it in "standby" mode and then pull the plug (ie neither power nor hdd, that could damage the drive if it's transferring data in the background). Let it shut down completely before doing anything further.
Okay, will do! So it should be okay to unplug the power cord to the HDD?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, I definitely need an external harddrive---I imagine the new Smash 4 shit is gonna be pretty large and XCX has taken up everything.

Guess I'm going with this one since it's the one I see folks saying is the most stable:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB2000100/dp/B00TKFEE9E/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?tag=viglink20241-20

This is all I'll need, right?

So update to this, I got this and it's working great...

But I'm wondering, can I use it with my PS4 simultaneously without messing up the Wii U files?

Honestly this is not an issue exclusive to Wii U. I heard Xbox One does the same thing, and my grandma's TV definitely does if you want DVR. (No, seriously.)

I think it should be possible to make an "interceptor device" that would make a bunch of such devices think they all have their own smaller drives, but I'm not a hardware expert to be absolutely sure, and I'm definitely unable to make one. Too bad, I guess.

foltzie1

128GB for $30 on sale on Tuesday 12/22 This is the drive I'm currently using.

Sorry for the necro bump....

Has anyone had any problems with this drive on their Wii U? I just beat Xenoblade Chronicles and am about to play XCX and looking for a cheap/elegant storage solution for the installs.

This looks perfect if anyone could endorse that this drive could stand up to a +200 hour play through of the game.

It still works for me, though I must concede I havent played either of the Xenoblade games or games of that length. But I havent had any problems with retail DL games.

AmyS

Hey guys, I am not PC / HDD savvy. I just got a Wii U. My brother gave me some boxes of old computer equipment and found one of these

HL1P8f0.jpg

3.5 inch / USB 2.0 / external power.

Will that work for extra storage ?

Edit: Holy shit, it worked. I couldn't believe it! I plugged this Vantec Nexstar-3 external HDD to its own power supply, hooked it to one of the USB ports on the Wii U (while the console was OFF of course), then turned the HDD on, waited about 20 seconds, then powered up the Wii U, waited, it saw the HDD and asked me to format it. Was super quick. Went to data management and saw that I had something like 593 GB free space. Downloaded something free from the eShop, it worked! Yay,

MP!

256 GB SSD I think from samsung...

I lost all my data when my 1TB HDD physically and irreversibly died.
I'll never buy an HDD again.

256 GB is kind of the perfect size between the games I boought physically and the digital purchases... and I'll never have to worry about the spinning disks.
I am a bit paranoid ... so the way I hooked it up was I bought a powered USB hub and then plugged the SSD into that so it for sure had all the power it needed.

Abdulrehman

Neo Member
As you all are talking about Hard drive that's why i hope to get the better answer from you people
i want to purchase the External hard drive for gaming purposes and did not know i should go for SSD or HDD.
Kindly let me know about the HDD and SSD differences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom