• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

prag16

Banned
It was much less than that, but we don't have exact numbers. It did very poorly.
I don't think we know that for a fact. Last time I checked the main driving force behind that assumption was the aforementioned gameindustry.biz bs.

Otherwise I think all we had was somebody with NPD info saying it didn't do well, without ever providing any numbers iirc.

We know it tanked hard in Europe (didn't even hit top 50 I think).
We know it did horribly in Japan.
So that leaves NA to have sold basically 400+ thousand units. And we know it didn't even come close in the first couple of NPDs. So yeah.
Ubisoft actually had a few WiiU exclusives in development. Including a Red Steel 2 remake (and possible Red Steel 3).
But unless something changes we can kiss those good bye.
Posted before I saw this. So we don't have numbers for it for any region basically. I'm not saying it sold well, or sold 500,000. But it sounds like we really don't know.

As for the other ubi info there, that's interesting. Do we have a source for that stuff?

Some Nobody

It's going to be Xeno_____, no question.

Well, if you played Xenoblade, you already have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I just remembered, but wasn't Capcpom supposed to have a Wii U title (or titles) in development? Something about them wanting to focus on new stuff and not ports or something?

You mean this. Take that with a small pinch of salt. That was last year, after all.

Riki

I don't think we know that for a fact. Last time I checked the main driving force behind that assumption was the aforementioned gameindustry.biz bs.

Otherwise I think all we had was somebody with NPD info saying it didn't do well, without ever providing any numbers iirc.

From what I've heard (as of October) no WiiU third party game has sold over 200K in the US. So...

Posted before I saw this. So we don't have numbers for it for any region basically. I'm not saying it sold well, or sold 500,000. But it sounds like we really don't know.

As for the other ubi info there, that's interesting. Do we have a source for that stuff?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88385720&postcount=34
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88388813&postcount=51

prag16

Banned
From what I've heard (as of October) no WiiU third party game has sold over 200K in the US. So...
Yeah, that sounds familiar from October or so. I'm not arguing that it sold "well". Mainly I just always found that gameindustry.biz stuff suspect and unwise to blindly take at face value.

We know it tanked hard in Europe (didn't even hit top 50 I think).
We know it did horribly in Japan.
So that leaves NA to have sold basically 400+ thousand units. And we know it didn't even come close in the first couple of NPDs. So yeah.
Ubisoft actually had a few WiiU exclusives in development. Including a Red Steel 2 remake (and possible Red Steel 3).
But unless something changes we can kiss those good bye.

Horribly compared to what though? What were the expectations, versus the actual sales?
With no numbers, we don't know.

And personally, I would prefer an original Red Steel remake, not Red Steel 2. I played both, but enjoyed the first more...
I know, probably one of the few, but I thought the first was very good for a launch title, and if the Wii had patching in its early days, just a few control tweaks would have made it better for most I think.

Do you have a link to anything about these supposed Wii U exclusives that were in development? I hadn't actually heard that or seen any stories on it.

Riki

Yeah, that sounds familiar from October or so. I'm not arguing that it sold "well". Mainly I just always found that gameindustry.biz stuff suspect and unwise to blindly take at face value.

Horribly compared to what though? What were the expectations, versus the actual sales?
With no numbers, we don't know.

And personally, I would prefer an original Red Steel remake, not Red Steel 2. I played both, but enjoyed the first more...
I know, probably one of the few, but I thought the first was very good for a launch title, and if the Wii had patching in its early days, just a few control tweaks would have made it better for most I think.

Do you have a link to anything about these supposed Wii U exclusives that were in development? I hadn't actually heard that or seen any stories on it.

Posted above.

ZombiU obviously sold well below Ubisoft's predictions. Unless something changes (IE. Nintendo steps in) don't expect these games to happen.

Posted above.

ZombiU obviously sold well below Ubisoft's predictions. Unless something changes (IE. Nintendo steps in) don't expect these games to happen.

Based on what? The fact they had a ZombiU sequel in the works as of at least May this year? That makes no sense.

Again, we don't have numbers, we have a Ubisoft developer from the studio that developed the first ZombiU actually on record saying a prototype for a sequel was in the works as of at least May, and nothing else.

No numbers.

Now, I have said, I think NoA completely, 100%, FAILED with the ZombiU U.S. bundle. COMPLETELY failed. They didn't advertise it. No TV ad. No internet ad. NOTHING.

What is one of the biggest shows in the U.S.? The Walking Dead.
How NoA's crack-marketing team missed that is amazing to me, but they have really failed repeatedly in many areas with the Wii U...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised?

Also, a post from another member, doesn't mean it was true, unless that member works for Ubisoft right? I mean, what was his source?

I could actually have seen Ubisoft greenlight an HD version of Red Steel 2 for the PS3 (with Move controls), but why would they go with the Wii U right away on that? I didn't think Red Steel 2 even met their expectations of sales?

Riki

Based on what? The fact they had a ZombiU sequel in the works as of at least May this year? That makes no sense.

Again, we don't have numbers, we have a Ubisoft developer from the studio that developed the first ZombiU actually on record saying a prototype for a sequel was in the works as of at least May, and nothing else.

No numbers.

Now, I have said, I think NoA completely, 100%, FAILED with the ZombiU U.S. bundle. COMPLETELY failed. They didn't advertise it. No TV ad. No internet ad. NOTHING.

How NoA's crack-marketing team missed that is amazing to me, but they have really failed repeatedly in many areas with the Wii U...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised?

Based on Ubisoft already saying it didn't sell what they wanted and that they already canceled games for the WiiU.
Based on the fact that even Watch Dogs coming to the system is now a very real worry.
Just do not get your hopes up on seeing a new ZombiU.

prag16

Banned
Based on Ubisoft already saying it didn't sell what they wanted and that they already canceled games for the WiiU.
Based on the fact that even Watch Dogs coming to the system is now a very real worry.
Just do not get your hopes up on seeing a new ZombiU.
But again, isn't the only source we have for that the gameindustry.bs article? Or was there another quote stating that it was below expectations? Now that I think about it there may have been, but nothing as dire as the gameindustry "not even close to profitable" claim.

muteant

I want a new Zelda, Metroid, Starfox and F Zero announced at a minimum.
besides the new Zelda, you may not see any of these in their typical incarnations. given the Wii U's present install base, they really need to strike gold versus mining for silver with franchises that don't sell like gangbusters. 3DS would probably be a better home for Metroid (2.5D). they may see value in F Zero on the Wii U with online play potentially giving a big bump in interest, I guess.

in my opinion, this is the time for Nintendo to go out on a limb, hoping something catches fire, and establish new franchises (not necessarily new IPs) to work with going forward.

besides the new Zelda, you may not see any of these in their typical incarnations. given the Wii U's present install base, they really need to strike gold versus mining for silver with franchises that don't sell...
Actually, see GameCube.

I think we'll see more of Nintendo's smaller franchises this time around.

It is a shame Wii U is not selling very well, I hope it turns it around, I believe it is still possible.

I would love to see all sorts of niche genres that benefit from the gamepad, like Management Sims, Strategy and RTS. Also if someone can innovate with the gamepad are indies, at this point being a map/item management help unclutter the TV and ease the UI.

Tantalus and Straight Right are A-OK in my book. Deus Ex DC is fantastic, you can tell lots of love went in to that product. They can keep porting existing games for all I care, as long as the same amount of care goes in to the finished product.

jmizzal

Tantalus hiring for new AAA Next-Gen Title (Including Wii U)

They did the Wii U port of Mass Effect 3. So, any idea about the game they're working on...?

They didnt do the port of Mass Effect 3 they helped Straight Right out, who did Deus ex WiiU port.

Also Hero of Legend pointed out on IGN boards that its the same job Straight Right is/was hiring for back in Sept.

http://straightright.net/jobs.php

They bet not be on some BS and calling Funky Barn 2 AAA
I hope its new core ip from them or a port of a upcoming 3rd party game, these guys have done a great job on WiiU ports

I said this back in Nov. 2012 around WiiU launch, why on earth are they not advertising ZombiU during the Walking Dead, then 1 year later MS advertised Dead Rising 3 about 5 times an episode during the Walking dead and even had some features during the show, the marking of the WiiU was a joke and is the main reason why it has struggled.

Up until this Holiday I could count on both hands on how many WiiU ads I seen on TV, but I have prob seen 1,000 PS4 and Xboxone ads, I have started seeing WiiU ads this holiday season.

I agree with needing better marketing. Although Nintendo has made some baby steps (saw some Wii U adverts while flipping through channels this holiday break) they really need to ramp it up and go all out in advertising the hell out of many of the games that are listed in the OP. SM3DW seemed to have a pretty big marketing presence in big box stores like Best Buy and Wal-Mart's which is a good thing but it needs to be even bigger with Mario Kart and Smash 4.

AmyS

For me personally, the cloudy, dull skies over Wii U will turn brighter in 2014 in a way I would have never expected.

The 90s Arcade Racer

J4oaNwt.jpg

DuiBxCv.jpg

PJ46qT7.jpg

Trailer 1

Environments

Home

most recent update

AmyS

^That is the only, and I mean ONLY game I would buy a Wii U for, this year.

Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider it until Zelda U comes out which almost certainly will not be until late 2015.

ozfunghi

So... in november/december i expanded my collection somewhat.

Windwaker & NSMBU, i got those in november, the others are from christmas & newyear. I think i did a decent job :) Would 've posted this sooner, but i was banned in the Windwaker mausoleum thread. Also got Toki Tori, 1 + 2+, Edge, rush... i think that's it. Very eager to find out what Straight Right's new game is going to be. I don't know how big a team they have, but they seem to be making the best ports so far. If they are a small team, i hope they stick to porting AAA games, which will also be less of a risk financially. If they are a somewhat bigger team, i'd love to see something exclusive from them.

^That is the only, and I mean ONLY game I would buy a Wii U for, this year.

Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider it until Zelda U comes out which almost certainly will not be until late 2015.

If you don't like games such as Pikmin3, ZombiU, Wonderful101, Lego City, SM3DWorld, Monolith's X, Bayonetta2, Deus Ex HR/DC... then clearly the platform isn't for you.

As I said in the other thread, my #1 late port pick from Straight Right would be Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. I am a HUGE Transformers fan (especially of Beast Wars/Beast Machines and recently Transformers Prime) and it's a crime that Nintendo fans didn't get the true experiences of WFC and none of FOC. Cybertron Adventures while by Next Level Games, it sure wasn't AAA Next Level Games. :( I blame lack of budget and time.

By the way, SuperVillain Studios (Order Up) said a long while ago they were underway with a licensed game where they were behind the Wii version and was described as a Gear of War clone and the license was tied to a movie, this was for back around 2010.

Bet it was War for Cybertron, the movie in question could've referred to that the series still have an on-going movie series. And their game was canned when the game was delayed, but I think they didn't rule out a Wii version happened anyway, which Next Level Games did as mentioned.

Fake edit: Here it is:

We were working on the Wii version of a major film license (although this particular game was not tied directly to the films). We were really happy with the work we had done, and it was looking amazingly good for a game that was tasked with mimicking high-end photo-real 360/PS3 visuals as best as the machine could.

Unfortunately, there were major delays on the 360/PS3 version and the big bucks dictate that money is best spent focusing on those consoles with this type of game (3rd person cover/action shooter…think Gears of War-type gameplay). So the Wii version was eventually canceled. It happens quite a lot behind the scenes, especially these days with publishers being super careful with their money in the down economy. There are a ton of games that don’t see the light of day.

http://www.svsgames.com/?p=334

Sticking with the genre/types of games Straight Right/Tantalus has been working on porting, I think maybe one of these would be the most likely...

-Bioshock (something) Definitive Edition
-Fall Out 3: Pip-Boy in your fucking hands edition. (Comes with a wrist strap as a preorder bonus)

Or a port of something else entirely. I really don't know what it could be. I admire the work they put in to their projects, despite how shit publishers treat them. (Deus EX being delayed forever by SE or EA conveniently announcing Mass Effect Collection a few weeks prior to ME3 on WiiU)

jmizzal

Sticking with the genre/types of games Straight Right/Tantalus has been working on porting, I think maybe one of these would be the most likely...

-Bioshock (something) Definitive Edition
-Fall Out 3: Pip-Boy in your fucking hands edition. (Comes with a wrist strap as a preorder bonus)

Or a port of something else entirely. I really don't know what it could be. I admire the work they put in to their projects, despite how shit publishers treat them. (Deus EX being delayed forever by SE or EA conveniently announcing Mass Effect Collection a few weeks prior to ME3 on WiiU)

It would be nice if they let them work on the next Deux Ex along side of the Xbox one and PS4 version by Edios Montreal . I'm sure Square would work with them again unlike EA who isnt making anything for WiiU.

prag16

Banned
It would be nice if they let them work on the next Deux Ex along side of the Xbox one and PS4 version by Edios Montreal . I'm sure Square would work with them again unlike EA who isnt making anything for WiiU.

This is what I'm hoping for. Late ports are great and all, but I'd prefer to see the next Deus Ex day and date.

I suppose it's possible they're porting Tomb Raider to launch alongside (or after) the PS4bone versions. Though that would probably have been announced by now if that's the case.

Effect

Going to be rebuying Black Ops 2 and a few other games (time to spend that Christmas gift card money. :) ) I got rid of over the year (have regretted parting with a few of those games) due to the weak release schedule at the moment. Will be finally picking up Dragon's Dogma for the PS3 as well. That was the last PS3 I was really hyped for. Does anyone know how the online population, such as it is, compares with Ghosts?

Last time I checked BO2 it was hovered around 2000 during primetime. That was a little while after Ghost game out. Meaning some simply didn't make the switch. Which makes sense because some people prefer Treyarch's work (I'm one of those) over IW and the other way around. I need the fix even though I swore off the series. I did enjoy BO2 and did not like Ghost very much.

Also now that it's been out. Anyone have any updated opinions of Arkham City vs Arkham Origins? I've only played Asylum and would prefer to only buy one if I can help it. Part of my is leaning toward Origins since I find the whole Origin angle interesting. As well as the assassins. However Akrham City has Freeze and Ivy (I believe) and they are some of my favorite Batman villains.

Son Of D

This is what I'm hoping for. Late ports are great and all, but I'd prefer to see the next Deus Ex day and date.

I suppose it's possible they're porting Tomb Raider to launch alongside (or after) the PS4bone versions. Though that would probably have been announced by now if that's the case.

Publishers can be weird when it comes to Wii U ports, they're rather announced much later than other versions (Watch Dogs, CoD BO2/Ghosts), the same day as other versions (AssCreed 3/4, Disney Infinity, RE: Revelations) or before the PS3/360/PC versions (Rayman Legends and Deus Ex HR).

So Tomb Raider U being announced later this month for a March release does seem likely.

prag16

Banned
Going to be rebuying Black Ops 2 and a few other games (time to spend that Christmas gift card money. :) ) I got rid of over the year (have regretted parting with a few of those games) due to the weak release schedule at the moment. Will be finally picking up Dragon's Dogma for the PS3 as well. That was the last PS3 I was really hyped for. Does anyone know how the online population, such as it is, compares with Ghosts?

Last time I checked BO2 it was hovered around 2000 during primetime. That was a little while after Ghost game out. Meaning some simply didn't make the switch. Which makes sense because some people prefer Treyarch's work (I'm one of those) over IW and the other way around. I need the fix even though I swore off the series. I did enjoy BO2 and did not like Ghost very much.

Peak times Ghosts is around that number lately. Which is less than BO2 was at the equivalent launch aligned time period. Yeah, a lot of people didn't make the switch it seems.

I think BO2 is the overall better game in most respects, BUT I prefer Ghosts even with it's problems almost solely because for me, the hit detection overall is DRASTICALLY better than BO2. DRASTICALLY. Your mileage may vary.

mug

How's AssCreedIV on Wii U? It's $35 at Amazon by the way - thinking about picking it up since I just finished Zelda WW. Keep in mind I have a solid PC that I'm considering picking it up on. Just wanted an opinion on how it runs.

ozfunghi

Publishers can be weird when it comes to Wii U ports, they're rather announced much later than other versions (Watch Dogs, CoD BO2/Ghosts), the same day as other versions (AssCreed 3/4, Disney Infinity, RE: Revelations) or before the PS3/360/PC versions (Rayman Legends and Deus Ex HR).

So Tomb Raider U being announced later this month for a March release does seem likely.

In case of Rayman & Deus Ex DC... that was because those were Wii U exclusives at first.
In most other cases, i have to wonder if it is Nintendo that's holding the info back. Or maybe the publishers trying to force Nintendo into making a better deal for them. But it's been Nintendo's MO to not communicate about games more than a few months away.

I honestly don't understand what Nintendo has been doing since 2010. How can they not have more games in the pipeline? They continue to remain silent while their brand is suffering and forgotten.

Call of Duty has been stealth announced for Nintendo going back all the way to the Wii. I would love to know the reasoning.

prag16

Banned
In case of Rayman & Deus Ex DC... that was because those were Wii U exclusives at first.
In most other cases, i have to wonder if it is Nintendo that's holding the info back. Or maybe the publishers trying to force Nintendo into making a better deal for them. But it's been Nintendo's MO to not communicate about games more than a few months away.

Yeah, I think it was rumored at one point that this is why Ghosts was not announced for Wii U out of the gate; Activision holding out for a sweeter deal in some way shape or form from Nintendo.

Well, we know MS moneyhats them for early DLC and commercials with only the XBox logo at the end. But I'm assuming Sony doesn't give money to Activision like that. So why does Nintendo get the announcement later than Sony?

Yes, Nintendo is in a tough spot, even with the need for games they cannot resort to special deals or moneyhatting as that would send the wrong message to every pub in the world.

Collaborations is a better way to deal with the issues. I hope they have a lot in the works.

I'm not super excited about any of these. Somewhat happy to play some of them. I would've MUCH rather have seen a real Zelda released in 2014 as I am no fan a Dynasty Warrior games.

I also bet Watch Dogs and Project Cars will not see a release.

Riki

I'm not super excited about any of these. Somewhat happy to play some of them. I would've MUCH rather have seen a real Zelda released in 2014 as I am no fan a Dynasty Warrior games.

Cars will for sure. Watch Dogs is more iffy.

Draconian

Just a couple of weeks ago, one of the devs said the Wii U will be able to handle Project Cars just fine. If they were going to cancel it, they wouldn't be talking about it right now.

Is there some quote floating around that Watch Dogs might get cancelled on the Wii U? I keep reading about it on GAF but I never see any source.

prag16

Banned
Is there some quote floating around that Watch Dogs might get cancelled on the Wii U? I keep reading about it on GAF but I never see any source.

Some gaf member (forget who) claimed at one point they heard rumors about the Wii U version being cancelled. This was back before the delay.

I'm not expecting it to be cancelled, but it wouldn't be shocking if it did.

Project Cars, there's essentially no chance it gets canned.

DrWong

Money has alreay been spent, a signficant part I would guess, so no, I don't think it will be canned, makes no sense.

I honestly don't understand what Nintendo has been doing since 2010. How can they not have more games in the pipeline? They continue to remain silent while their brand is suffering and forgotten.

1. Something called the 3DS
2. Who says they don't have more games in the pipeline? Nintendo has a habit of announcing games 6 months (if that) before release.

jmizzal

Cars will for sure. Watch Dogs is more iffy.

Watch_Dogs WiiU is already rated by the esrp there is no reason to cancel the game, it would be wasted money by UBisoft, and yea PC is coming

Some gaf member (forget who) claimed at one point they heard rumors about the Wii U version being cancelled. This was back before the delay.

I'm not expecting it to be cancelled, but it wouldn't be shocking if it did.

Project Cars, there's essentially no chance it gets canned.

No the gaf member said he heard the WiiU version would get delayed until 2014 and about a month later all versions were delayed, has there even been a big announced WiiU game that got canned, only canned games I heard are all unannounced games

Top Bottom