• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

jmizzal

Ubisoft love wasting money, though.
They're kings at it.

I dont think they waste money tho, the manage there money pretty good, which is why they can afford to support WiiU and Vita, unlike EA you dont see them closing studios left and right and firing people and as far as I know they are not in debt.

Riki

I dont think they waste money tho, the manage there money pretty good, which is why they can afford to support WiiU and Vita, unlike EA you dont see them closing studios left and right and firing people and as far as I know they are not in debt.

Didn't they do up like a whole new Prince of Persia and then just can it all after years of development?

I still expect Watch_Dogs to hit WiiU, but just because they rated it doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Tenki

I posted this in the Tantalus thread, but I think here is ok too:

It seems the game they're working on it's an enhanced port of a AAA game, like Deus Ex.

This quotes are from Joss Ellis, director of development:

It is a ‘port’ but more of a complete rework for the Wii U: a bit like the work we did on Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut.

I can’t say what the title is but it is very exciting and is for an absolute top notch publisher.

This game will be credited Tantalus … it’s not an MA / 18 or ‘hard core’ game which ME-3 and DX:HR are.

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01...i-u-title-is-a-port-from-top-notch-publisher/

Tenki

I've been looking at lists of the best selling games of the year and almost all the games are 18+, first party or already on Wii U.

Maybe Minecraft?

jmizzal

Not hardcore or MA is a bit worrying. Dunno any big third party titles it could be.

I wonder by them saying not hardcore do they just mean its not a game thats about killing or shooting. If thats the case something like Kingdom Hearts 3 could fit.

I've been looking at lists of the best selling games of the year and almost all the games are 18+, first party or already on Wii U.

Maybe Minecraft?

I wouldnt consider Minecraft publishers as a top notch publishers they are Indie right?

Riki

Maybe Minecraft?

That would be odd. Outsourcing an already outsourced game. And not a top notch publisher.
It either has to be something that isn't announced yet for anything or maybe a remake of a GC/Wii game.

I wonder by them saying not hardcore do they just mean its not a game thats about killing or shooting. If thats the case something like Kingdom Hearts 3 could fit.

I wouldnt consider Minecraft publishers as a top notch publishers they are Indie right?

There's no way it's a Japanese game. It'll be a western made game.

Tenki

That would be odd. Outsourcing an already outsourced game. And not a top notch publisher.
It either has to be something that isn't announced yet for anything or maybe a remake of a GC/Wii game.

Yeah, right. That "absolute top notch publisher" discards Minecraft.

top notch... notch... hmmm... lol

prag16

Banned
Maybe Minecraft?

Seems unlikely; and would be a waste of their talents based on their work on DE and ME3. Not really a "top notch publisher" either as was said.

There's no way it's a Japanese game. It'll be a western made game.

So a port of a western game for a "top notch" publisher, but rated less than M and/or "not hardcore"? I'm not really coming up with a whole lot..

No the gaf member said he heard the WiiU version would get delayed until 2014 and about a month later all versions were delayed, has there even been a big announced WiiU game that got canned, only canned games I heard are all unannounced games

I think you're right; that's what I was thinking of. The rumor was the Wii U version getting delayed (with no mention of the others).

And as for cancelled games; I think Aliens was the only one.

Riki

Seems unlikely; and would be a waste of their talents based on their work on DE and ME3. Not really a "top notch publisher" either as was said.

So a port of a western game for a "top notch" publisher, but rated less than M and/or "not hardcore"? I'm not really coming up with a whole lot..

I think you're right; that's what I was thinking of. The rumor was the Wii U version getting delayed (with no mention of the others).

And as for cancelled games; I think Aliens was the only one.

Me either, but that's apparently what it is.
Which is why I'm thinking either unannounced or a much much older game.

Yeah, can't help but point it to being Minecraft, but as said, Mohjang isn't top notch (top notch would be like Activision, Ubisoft, etc).

A denial of it being Minecraft would be very helpful.

jmizzal

Me either, but that's apparently what it is.
Which is why I'm thinking either unannounced or a much much older game.

Lol yea I went thru all the games from last year and all the none M rated games are either on WiiU or Sports games or indie games, so no clue at this point

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw, do you think Nintendo could go and help promote Project Cars on the Wii U? Being that the Wii U doesn't have GT or Forza, it's the one first party that could do so... Also it'd be interesting if Nintendo worked to publish Watch Dogs in Japan or something. Ubisoft could do it, but maybe Nintendo could help with the advertising.

That could at least help Nintendo keep Watch Dogs and Project Cars on the Wii U for 2014.

Yeah, can't help but point it to being Minecraft, but as said, Mohjang isn't top notch (top notch would be like Activision, Ubisoft, etc).

A denial of it being Minecraft would be very helpful.

You all keep forgetting that the lead dev's name from Mojang is Notch.

Could just be a complete coincidence though, we shall see.

Non M-Rated AAA games...

-Brink
-Portal 1&2 and Team Fortress Wii U Edition
-Batman Arkham Bundle: Armored Edition
-Overlord 1/2/Wii game Complete Edition (not AAA...would be cool, actually)
-Goldeneye Reloaded Wii U Edition

That's uh, all I got...

Son Of D

Non M-Rated AAA games...

-Brink
-Portal 1&2 and Team Fortress Wii U Edition
-Batman Arkham Bundle: Armored Edition
-Overlord 1/2/Wii game Complete Edition (not AAA...would be cool, actually)
-Goldeneye Reloaded Wii U Edition

That's uh, all I got...

The image of Nintendo themed hats in TF2 is in my head. It fits so well.

Damn son!! Really intrigued by this one!

Could it be Nintendo or Sega?

3DS, GC port?

That is a way for Nintendo to get SW out quick.

Vire

I know I'm incredibly late to this, but I want to say what nice job you did with the OP.

Very nice images.

Glass Joe

I'm not super excited about any of these. Somewhat happy to play some of them. I would've MUCH rather have seen a real Zelda released in 2014 as I am no fan a Dynasty Warrior games.

I also bet Watch Dogs and Project Cars will not see a release.

Do you have any evidence to support your bet, or is it just pessimism? Watch Dogs was just rated by the ESRB this week. The Wii U version is specifically mentioned in the rating overview. I haven't seen any talk about Project Cars being axed either.

ozfunghi

It's obviously a port from a canned sequel featuring a character called Jade.

Ok maybe not, but the fact that it's an assignment like that of Deus Ex, but not a game like Deus Ex... hmmm... What could it be? What are the non realistic/violent AAA games that came out some time ago on other platforms?

I'm not super excited about any of these. Somewhat happy to play some of them. I would've MUCH rather have seen a real Zelda released in 2014 as I am no fan a Dynasty Warrior games.

I also bet Watch Dogs and Project Cars will not see a release.

Sorry but I hate this, this is how wrong rumors are spread, and even more doom and gloom spreads for the Wii U.

A dev from Project Cars recently spoke about the Wii U version and for Watch Dogs it has been rated, plus there is no rumor about it been pulled, like others say, it would be unwise to pull it while it seemed it was far in development.

About the Tantalus game, it is a sports game, or a Sega or Nintendo game.

Effect

I posted this in the Tantalus thread, but I think here is ok too:

It seems the game they're working on it's an enhanced port of a AAA game, like Deus Ex.

This quotes are from Joss Ellis, director of development:

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01...i-u-title-is-a-port-from-top-notch-publisher/

The only things that fit this in regard to upcoming games to me are the following.

Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3 or Kingdom Hearts 1+2

Everything else that is upcoming that would be a port and classified as AAA is M rated. These have or will get a Teen rating and that significantly limits things. We know FFXIV is coming to the PS4 (already on the PS3). It would be on the Xbox but Microsoft is likely the one stopping that because of how they want it to connect. At least that's what I recall reading that was why it wasn't on the 360 when FFXI was in the past. Wii U already has Dragon Quest in Japan so it can run an MMORPG just fine. Kingdom Hearts has Nintendo connections as well. It's had releases on the GBA, DS, and 3DS. The mainline games are just missing. It would work well on the Nintendo home console.

These are also Japanese games. Specifically Square Enix games. Tantalus worked on Deus Ex which is also a Square Enix game. Possible they could be doing more work with them. I am realistically leaning more toward Kingdom Hearts though here.

Riki

I really can't see Square Enix of all companies outsourcing a port of one of their biggest franchises to a Western developer.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The only things that fit this in regard to upcoming games to me are the following.

Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3 or Kingdom Hearts 1+2
Dragon Quest X

Everything else that is upcoming that would be a port and classified as AAA is M rated. These have or will get a Teen rating. I toss Dragon Quest in here even though it's an older game because it's still a high profile game that could still make it and wouldn't be considered old due to included expansions at a time it could get a release. That's more localization then porting though. We know FFXIV is coming to the PS4 (already on the PS3). It would be on the Xbox but Microsoft is likely the one stopping that because of how they want it to connect. At least that's what I recall reading that was why it wasn't on the 360 when FFXI was in the past. Wii U already has Dragon Quest in Japan so it can run an MMORPG just fine. Kingdom Hearts has Nintendo connections as well. It's had releases on the GBA, DS, and 3DS. The mainline games are just missing. It would work well on the Nintendo home console.

These are also Japanese games. Specifically Square Enix games. Tantalus worked on Deus Ex which is also a Square Enix game. Possible they could be doing more work with them. I am realistically leaning more toward Kingdom Hearts though here.

Kingdom Hearts would be cool, but b/c it's Square I doubt it.

Effect

I agree Square Enix wouldn't likely allow an outside studio to mess with internally made games like those but the list is tiny. Ubisoft have their own internal studios to do ports. Same with Warner Bros and Activision. Capcom's only non-M rated games are fighting games I believe and those certainly aren't coming to the Wii U. Take 2 (2K and Rockstar), Bethesda, and EA don't give a damn about Nintendo hardware so even if they had a game that would fit it wouldn't be a possibility.

Was the recent Castlevania game from Mercury Steam rated M or T?

It was rated M.

wilflare

random question but anyone using rechargeable batteries for their Wii Remote Plus
thinking of getting the official ones... but tad price..

MilkBeard

Can't wait to see more of X. I wasn't a huge fan of Xenoblade, and yet, I still think it has tons of potential to grow as a series.

From the screens and video, seems like a mix of Xenogears and Xenoblade, which is a good thing. I hope they try and put a deeper story in the game, a la Xenogears.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it's good to have confirmation about 2014 ;p

BdVIHAkCMAANPR5.jpg:large

daripad

Guys, Square Enix is the publisher of Deus Ex, so maybe they hired those guys to make a port of one of their japanese games, in this case it could be Kingdom Hearts 1.5.
A man can dream ;)

jmizzal

Most likely mid February. We had one on December about games for 2014 and NDs usually happen every two months.

We have been getting NDs every month recently, so it will be one this month, plus the investors meeting so news will come out either way.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Most likely mid February. We had one on December about games for 2014 and NDs usually happen every two months.
Well, there's the FY13 Third Quarter Earnings Release on the 29th of January. As Aquaramine pointed out here, big changes could be coming. Nintendo probably wants to have something exciting presented prior to the investor meeting so that they can devote time after to more important things (rethinking strategy, reconstruction etc.).

But if a Nintendo Direct broadcast doesn't happen in January, the earning release and the investor meeting will provide a lot of interesting things, so we don't miss out anyway.

Top Bottom