• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Roo

Rösti;96226621 said:
Well, there's the FY13 Third Quarter Earnings Release on the 29th of January. As Aquaramine pointed out here, big changes could be coming. Nintendo probably wants to have something exciting presented prior to the investor meeting so that they can devote time after to more important things (rethinking strategy, reconstruction etc.).

But if a Nintendo Direct broadcast doesn't happen in January, the earning release and the investor meeting will provide a lot of interesting things, so we don't miss out anyway.
Are you making the thread to cover all the details and possible announcements that come from this?
I think you made last year's one.

Effect

Rösti;96226621 said:
Well, there's the FY13 Third Quarter Earnings Release on the 29th of January. As Aquaramine pointed out here, big changes could be coming. Nintendo probably wants to have something exciting presented prior to the investor meeting so that they can devote time after to more important things (rethinking strategy, reconstruction etc.).

But if a Nintendo Direct broadcast doesn't happen in January, the earning release and the investor meeting will provide a lot of interesting things, so we don't miss out anyway.

I was thinking/hoping perhaps before the report in order to have something solid to point to (perhaps also the response from the media, etc to point to) in response to what they are going to be doing to turn things around, what the new strategy is.

Riki

I really think people are putting too much on the idea that Nintendo is going to make changes come the end of the month. Drastic ones are even less likely.
They'll annouce games and that is really it. There isn't a whole lot that can or would change outside of that .

Eh, I'm not so sure they'll stick with the same ol same ol strategy they have been doing the past year. Pressure will undoubtedly be out on Iwata for coming in far under their projection for Wii U's sold. Whether it is a much larger emphasis on advertising, another price drop (very unlikely) or really putting pressure to release big titles faster and announcing a large number of previously unannounced titles to try and drive investment in the system for what's on the horizon. I'm on the boat that changes are coming because they need to.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Are you making the thread to cover all the details and possible announcements that come from this?
I think you made last year's one.
Actually no, Parmenides made that thread. I made one for the Nintendo's 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders though.

But I'll see what I can do for this upcoming earnings release. Microsoft and EA also have some conference calls later this month. While Nintendo's earnings release is very interesting, especially as this tells how Wii U faired against PS4 and Xbox One, the investor presentation will provide actual visuals and questions from investors.

Don't worry guys, I'm sure Nintendo will announce they bought COD, GTA and as well as 2K and Activision so the IPs and such will all be exclusive.

To 3DS. >:)

At this point in time, the swaying point for me to buy a Wii U rests on this game:

monoxrjjta.jpg

If it's as amazing (or more) as Xenoblade Chronicles, then I will be extremely tempted to get a Wii U. If it's a huge disappointment then I will likely not buy a Wii U. At least until something else comes along... like a sequel to Okami.

maxcriden

Don't worry guys, I'm sure Nintendo will announce they bought COD, GTA and as well as 2K and Activision so the IPs and such will all be exclusive.

To 3DS. >:)

Here we go again... ;)

BTW I bumped your Kung Fu Rabbit thread, thanks again for the recommendation, I've really been digging the game a great deal!

kunonabi

I really think people are putting too much on the idea that Nintendo is going to make changes come the end of the month. Drastic ones are even less likely.
They'll annouce games and that is really it. There isn't a whole lot that can or would change outside of that .

something has to change. I mean I brought my wii u over to my six year old nephew and he loved it but he had absolutely no clue the thing existed. he's a giant mario and sonic fan but that means jack if he doesn't know the games and the platform exist. i was at gamestop during the holidays and this guy tried buying some wii u games before the clerk explained to him they weren't compatible with the wii. He ended up just buying galaxy 2 and some other cheap used games for his kids. Which isn't the worst thing since I don't expect parents to be up with stuff but the problem is kids aren't either and thus aren't getting their parents to buy them to play the new mario and sonics of the world.

maxcriden

Not a problem! :) Glad you're having fun! :D

Yeah, it's been great. My wife really likes it too, we've been trading off levels. I haven't been using any of the items, I'm not sure what they do but I want to keep the game as tricky as it is and I imagine the items only make it easier....

Draconian

At this point in time, the swaying point for me to buy a Wii U rests on this game:

If it's as amazing (or more) as Xenoblade Chronicles, then I will be extremely tempted to get a Wii U. If it's a huge disappointment then I will likely not buy a Wii U. At least until something else comes along... like a sequel to Okami.

So you'll be getting a Wii U then? :p

I have already been warned at home that a WiiU must be purchased in time for Mario Kart 8. Which is fine, because I have like half a dozen other games I've missed or am looking forward to.

onilink88

Isn't there an apostrophe missing there?

DesertFox

Just watched trailers for mario kart 8 and hyrule warriors. Both look like they could be a lot of fun. Might consider picking up a Wii U if the price was right...

Bulzeeb

As long as Nintendo gets everything out that they showed I won't consider Wii U a failure. :)

same, I am really liking that machine for the 4 player coop nature of most of its games but to be honest, it really needs some single player exclusive games

jmizzal

As long as Nintendo gets everything out that they showed I won't consider Wii U a failure. :)

I agree

Yes the Wii dominated the sales chart but for some reason people act like Nintendo didnt get outsold massively by PS1 and PS2 with N64 and GC, Nintendo was fine then and they will be fine now, yes they need to improve things but to act like they need to match head to head with sales of the other consoles or they are doomed is ridiculous. 3DS is dominating the charts and if WiiU is making a profit they are fine, just keep releasing great games, they are not going 3rd party of iOS.

I agree

Yes the Wii dominated the sales chart but for some reason people act like Nintendo didnt get outsold massively by PS1 and PS2 with N64 and GC, Nintendo was fine then and they will be fine, yes they need to improve things but to act like they need to match head to head with sales of the other consoles or they are doomed is ridiculous, 3DS is dominating the charts and if WiiU is making a profit they are fine, just keep releasing great games.

Remember back in the DARK AGES when 3DS was DOOOOOOOOOMED? Back in like summer and fall 2011. I think it was the announcement and release of MH3G, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and the announcement of MH4 that cause the great revival, the price drop helped of course.

Yeah I'm mostly speaking for JP. :p But there have been definite success in NA and not just Nintendo's own stuff, Shin Megami Tensei 4 outsold Nocturne in NA IIRC.

Riki

Eh, I'm not so sure they'll stick with the same ol same ol strategy they have been doing the past year. Pressure will undoubtedly be out on Iwata for coming in far under their projection for Wii U's sold. Whether it is a much larger emphasis on advertising, another price drop (very unlikely) or really putting pressure to release big titles faster and announcing a large number of previously unannounced titles to try and drive investment in the system for what's on the horizon. I'm on the boat that changes are coming because they need to.

something has to change. I mean I brought my wii u over to my six year old nephew and he loved it but he had absolutely no clue the thing existed. he's a giant mario and sonic fan but that means jack if he doesn't know the games and the platform exist. i was at gamestop during the holidays and this guy tried buying some wii u games before the clerk explained to him they weren't compatible with the wii. He ended up just buying galaxy 2 and some other cheap used games for his kids. Which isn't the worst thing since I don't expect parents to be up with stuff but the problem is kids aren't either and thus aren't getting their parents to buy them to play the new mario and sonics of the world.

Better marketing isn't exactly a change, though. And not even close to what most people are expect (nor is it drastic).
It's normal business to step up marketing (something Nintendo has actually been doing the past 4 months).
There is no realistic measure Nintendo can take right now other than trying to up their release output. Which it seems like they're doing.

DesertFox

Better marketing isn't exactly a change, though. And not even close to what most people are expect (nor is it drastic).
It's normal business to step up marketing (something Nintendo has actually been doing the past 4 months).
There is no realistic measure Nintendo can take right now other than trying to up their release output. Which it seems like they're doing.
I have been seeing more commercials lately on tv for the Wii U that seem to do a good job of differentiating it as a new product. However, the name is still confusing as hell even WHILE watching the commercial. Can't imagine that things are crystal clear for the uninformed about the exact nature of the system. The naming unfortunately makes it sound like an add-on to the existing Wii.

Nintendo still doesn't market the Wii U properly and I think that's at least 70% of the problem.

...snip...

Him: That is literally the first time I've seen the actual console
Me: This is Nintendo's problem. You just described it exactly, thank you.

Bingo

j-wood

Nintendo still doesn't market the Wii U properly and I think that's at least 70% of the problem.

I work in IT and had the following exchange with a co worker (who is a gamer, but not like a hardcore follows all the news gamer. He bought a PS4 on launch day and owned a Wii/PS3 before hand):

Me: Man, I bought a Wii U, it's pretty sweet. You gotta come check out the new mario
Him: Oh yeah man, I'm always down to play Mario
Him: So how does that work? Does the tablet dock to the TV or something?
Me: What do you mean? It connects to the console. You know it's actually a new console right?
Him: Really? I thought it was just a new controller that you used with the Wii.

I then show him a google image of the new console with the gamepad.

Him: That is literally the first time I've seen the actual console
Me: This is Nintendo's problem. You just described it exactly, thank you.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
First time I entered this thread, and wow, the Wii U actually have tons of great games, both out and upcomming. Looks waaaay better than what is announced for the PS4/Xbone (even though that surely will change soon).

Hiltz

Remember EAD Tokyo said it has a new game in development it wants to reveal soon? Maybe we'll get a tease about it during the investor's meeting later this month.

Have any more insiders come forth about the human head rumors?

I wish we could get some have hints about what they worked on with nintendo and if it's still alive.

I found it interesting WB chose them to farm out Arkham origins to them last year.

Heya,

Since there's no official thread for the Wii U and my question is about games anyway : I just bought a Wii U a little earlier than I expected to (the Zombi U pack), so apart from the Nintendo blockbusters (NSMU SAU SM3DW and WW HD) and Rayman Legends, which games should I buy ? I think some multiplat games are reaally bad on it (like Darksiders 2). How's Splinter Cell ?
Thanks ! (Note that I also have a ps4)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Heya,

Since there's no official thread for the Wii U and my question is about games anyway : I just bought a Wii U a little earlier than I expected to (the Zombi U pack), so apart from the Nintendo blockbusters (NSMU SAU SM3DW and WW HD) and Rayman Legends, which games should I buy ? I think some multiplat games are reaally bad on it (like Darksiders 2). How's Splinter Cell ?

Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are the best games on the console along with SM3DW. You can check the demo for W101 having in mind that it really undersells the game. This video might be more helpful than the demo. And you can check also the other videos of Saur.

Splinter Cell is ok. Good points: no awful tear screen as X360, better resolution than PS3, great gamepad implementation. Bad: framerate drops (specially in cutscenes), long loading times when you start the game.

Deus Ex. is a great port, too.

Edited: Aostia is right, I forgot about Lego City Undercover, my 4th preferred game on the console. And Need for Speed MWU is a great port too.

Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are the best games on the console along with SM3DW. You can check the demo for W101 having in mind that it really undersells the game. This video might be more helpful than the demo. And you can check also the other videos of Saur.

Splinter Cell is ok. Good points: no awful tear screen as X360, better resolution than PS3, great gamepad implementation. Bad: framerate drops (specially in cutscenes), long loading times when you start the game.

oh my god i thought i could play w101 but i knew nothing.

Sickbean

I found his vids a few months ago and they've really improved my understanding of the game. Such a shame he's closed his channel. Do you know if he's a poster here?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is the new Zelda game (not musou) really coming out this year?

Nope, as you can see in the OP, it is listed as TBD, because up to now it is just pre-announced. Also Yoshi and Fire Emblem aren't confirmed for 2014 up to now. Other are (up to now).

Heya,

Well, the reccomandation chart in the OP could be helpful, as the link to the Eshop games topic.
Btw: Darksider is bad; Splinter Cell is great if you are interested in the single player campaign (great use of the gamepad, and techinically is good), but not if you are interested in multiplayer (no local and the online is so and so)
Apart from Rayman, other games I'd suggest are:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Scribblenauts unlimited

plus some goodies from the eshop (as Nano assault neo for example)

Heya,

Pikmin 3 is the best game on the console. Here's the official thread for impressions.

Zalman

3D World and Pikmin 3 are the two absolute must-owns in my opinion. Both are easily some of the best games I've played in a long time.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Heya,

Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101

Splinter Cell is alright... online is dead, and load times are long, but it generally runs well in my experience. The gamepad integration is handy.

Deus Ex is an excellent port. Like Wind Waker, it demonstrates how games of that type benefit from being on WiiU if the developer takes advantage of the system's feature-set.

L~A

We've known that date for days :p
I am certainly quite looking forward to it. There's some big things and changes coming, I believe, though it's pretty clear it won't be very "visible" at first. I mean, they aren't going to come and say "ok dudes, we're dropping the Wii U! Here's the Nintendo Universe!". Those changes will definitely happen, but "in the inside"... and of course, it won't happen overnight. There's no big button to press and bam! Everything's changed and nice.

Still not sure about the Direct, it'd make sense to have one since it's been ages since the last major Wii U announcement, besides Zelda Musou.

Heya,

Pikmin 3 and W101.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We've known that date for days :p
I am certainly quite looking forward to it. There's some big things and changes coming, I believe, though it's pretty clear it won't be very "visible" at first. I mean, they aren't going to come and say "ok dudes, we're dropping the Wii U! Here's the Nintendo Universe!". Those changes will definitely happen, but "in the inside"... and of course, it won't happen overnight. There's no big button to press and bam! Everything's changed and nice.

Still not sure about the Direct, it'd make sense to have one since it's been ages since the last major Wii U announcement, besides Zelda Musou.

I think that if changes will be set, they'll be related to the new R&D structure/building and will have effects on the nextgen. we all know that they are already working on it. It's normal, especially for Nintendo (shorter lifecycle for their product), and especially due to the struggles Wii U is facing.

Direct: there will be a Direct imho in early Feb, but will not be so strictly related to the Earning reports (for the aformentioned reasons). But I think that they could do a stronger one because they will probably set the Wii U/3DS incoming "future" for the year.
Not so strong as the Jan 2014 one: they already announced tons of games that still have to be released, probably in this order:

DK
Kart
Smash

Zelda Musou
Sonic game
Bayonetta 2
Project X

Yarn Yoshi
Zelda U
Fire Emblem

So, probably they'll show something related to the first three, with dates; than they'll confirm some of the others for 2014, and will anticipate that at E3 they'll shows Zelda, maybe the other pending TBD two games, and finally they could announce one surprise (could be the third Sonic game, or the rumored Japanese partnership, or the couple of unannounced/rumored third party western games [Minecraft or Straight Right port]), leaving to the E3 a brand new announcement for Xmas 2014 (first party) and the other two parntership aformentioned

Top Bottom