• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

DrWong

A really good dev'/publisher and a cool company to work with. They're mostly known for their excellent/solid Point & click productions (Deponia serie, Memoria...) but they also publish some good games (Botanicula, Torchlight 2...). They're currently working on their first RPG based on the Dark Eye licence. They're also publishing (retail only or digital, I still don't know) the RPG Divinity Original Sin.

They're still experiencing with their dev' kit, so don't expect any game soon, they still don't know which title(s) they'll wok on for the system.

http://www.daedalic.de/en/#1

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A really good dev'/publisher and a cool company to work with. They're mostly known for their excellent/solid Point & click productions (Deponia serie, Memoria...) but they also publish some good games (Botanicula, Torchlight 2...). They're currently working on their first RPG based on the Dark Eye licence. They're also publishing (retail only or digital, I still don't know) the RPG Divinity Original Sin.

They're still experiencing with their dev' kit, so don't expect any game soon, they still don't know which title(s) they'll wok on for the system.

http://www.daedalic.de/en/#1

so is this something I should post in the Wii U Eshop games topic?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Oh yes, sorry, I should have posted there as their outputs should be digital even if they also publish retail games in Germany.

oh, nothing! I didn't want to be harsh, I was just looking to update "my" topic. But Weng was faster! :p

ozfunghi

Heya,

Since there's no official thread for the Wii U and my question is about games anyway : I just bought a Wii U a little earlier than I expected to (the Zombi U pack), so apart from the Nintendo blockbusters (NSMU SAU SM3DW and WW HD) and Rayman Legends, which games should I buy ? I think some multiplat games are reaally bad on it (like Darksiders 2). How's Splinter Cell ?
Thanks ! (Note that I also have a ps4)

WiiU version of Splinter Cell is clearly the best performer (but loading times are worse). Loading after dying, though, is almost instant, it's only when loading a new level that it is cumbersome. I have the game, but haven't unwrapped it yet, playing Deus Ex, Wonderful 101, Zelda WW at the moment so it'll have to wait a bit. See the lens of truth comparison.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2hea...arison-and-analysis-ps3-vs-xbox-360-vs-wii-u/

I haven't played 3Dworld yet, and my nephew who lives above me just finished Lego City which also seems like a blast (imagine GTA in Legoland) but games i have played and suggest (unless you have played them on a different platform are

Pikmin3
Deus Ex
ZombiU
Wonderful 101
New SMB U
Batman AC (it's a decent port, unlike some would have you believe)
Zelda WW

But if you must pick one game out of this list, it has to be
...Pikmin three, lol
. And here's why:
Story mode is wonder-full and an absolute joy to play, mission mode can be hard as hell and provides a real challenge with very good level design. Plus local multiplayer is also a hoot, especially in VS. I've put in 65 hours so far, and it is by far the best game on the system, and in the series.

Is it normal that my update download speed is so low ? Like it's slower than the PS3's -_-

You'll have to find out if it's Nintendo's servers that are so slow, or your WiiU. Both can be slow. I think changing some settings on your routers end might help (i've read) but no amount of tweaking your router will make Nintendo's servers perform any faster.

Effect

Ugh. I haven't been able to get the store all week. Something keeps coming up when try to head there while in the area. It's as if something doesn't want me spending money on some of these games. Instead hold out for something else that I want more then to just fill out a library. Maybe I should just listen.

I can't believe this shit.

That was today. THEY'RE STILL DOING IT!

This would be sad if it wasn't so frustrating and annoying. It's as if some people have no reading comprehension at all. They can not understand that it's Nintendo's game. They are funding it and it would not exist without them. It's never going to be ported. It's either that or they trying to piss Kamiya off on purpose by constantly asking him about the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just a qustionto Captain: are you planning to add Lego Movie to the OP?
I'm enjoying Lego Marvel especially due to the multiplayer aspect (the separate offtv screen is great, in that free roaming hub) so I started looking for info on Movie (not so interested in Hobbit), but found poor info. But it is confirmed for Wii U and for 2014; hopefully it will have this features too.

Sickbean

I'll be picking up a PS4 at some point this year most likely, but I'm still far, far more excited about the Wii U 2014 line up at the moment.

I only got mine at the end of last year, so far I've managed to complete SM3DW bar Champions Road :( and Zombie U. I'm about 5 hours into W101 and it's likely to be my game of the year 2013. The wife and I are also spending a lot of time on Wii Fit U and New SMB U.

So that means for 2014 I have

Pikmin 3
Zelda WW
Monster Hunter 3

to catch up on, and then

Bayo 2
X
Mario Kart
Hyrule Warriors
Donkey Kong

to look forwards to. As I'm time limited and need to focus on quality rather than quantity, this represents a stellar line-up and more than enough to keep me busy for the rest of 2014. At least in my house, rumours of the Wii U struggling have been greatly exaggerated.

Exile20

I'll be picking up a PS4 at some point this year most likely, but I'm still far, far more excited about the Wii U 2014 line up at the moment.

I only got mine at the end of last year, so far I've managed to complete SM3DW bar Champions Road :( and Zombie U. I'm about 5 hours into W101 and it's likely to be my game of the year 2013. The wife and I are also spending a lot of time on Wii Fit U and New SMB U.

So that means for 2014 I have

Pikmin 3
Zelda WW
Monster Hunter 3

to catch up on, and then

Bayo 2
X
Mario Kart
Hyrule Warriors
Donkey Kong

to look forwards to. As I'm time limited and need to focus on quality rather than quantity, this represents a stellar line-up and more than enough to keep me busy for the rest of 2014. At least in my house, rumours of the Wii U struggling have been greatly exaggerated.

I could shed a tear. I feel exactly the same way.

ozfunghi

Mister Smoker, sir. I've recently purchased Injustice and Splinter Cell. There seems to be nothing wrong with Injustice (other than (not all?) DLC being available... but this is no isolated case) and Splinter Cell seems to be the best version available on consoles... I feel these games deserve a spot in the "recommended" section. If standards are set higher, which would be fine, but then we should reconsider games like COD: Ghosts or Resident Evil Revelations, no?

Weng

Mister Smoker, sir. I've recently purchased Injustice and Splinter Cell. There seems to be nothing wrong with Injustice (other than (not all?) DLC being available... but this is no isolated case) and Splinter Cell seems to be the best version available on consoles... I feel these games deserve a spot in the "recommended" section. If standards are set higher, which would be fine, but then we should reconsider games like COD: Ghosts or Resident Evil Revelations, no?
Splinter Cell lacks offline co-op and Injustice doesn't have a friend lobby AFAIK, or has this been fixed?

Effect

Splinter Cell lacks offline co-op and Injustice doesn't have a friend lobby AFAIK, or has this been fixed?

Last time I checked those are still an issue. Frame rate issues and lack of DLC (extra content to buy) is one thing. These two games are missing actual base game features the other versions have. It's not like there was ever an attempt to patch either feature in at a later date. At least Ubisoft explained that they didn't have time to complete everything and decided to go with online instead of offline. NetherRealm and Warner Bros from what I gather still refuses to even acknowledge people when they ask about the friend lobby not being included. That bothers me more and I have less issue with Splinter Cell as a result.

ozfunghi

Don't know, haven't played those, but shouldn't the games be judged based on what is there? I mean, RE:R was the worst version apparently (judging by the Wii U demo, even the 3DS version plays better), but it's on the list because it has all the modes the other consoles got? I'd rather play a good port with a mode missing, than a bad port with all modes present. I'm not saying RE:R is bad per se, but you understand what i mean. Where do you draw the line? If every aspect needs to be better than the other consoles, then basically no multiplat should be on the list (even NFSMW supports less players online).

daripad

Guys, I got my WiiU recently but I don't have a Wiimote. There are two games that have bundles with one and I'd like to go for one of them. I rarely play co-op or local multiplayer so I'd like to go with the better single player experience. The games I'm talking about are Wii Party U and Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Winter Games. Which one suits my request? And how much there is to do single player?

I have never played any of the previous games for those franchises but I played a lot of Mario Party (the three games) on N64 alone because there were modes for single player and the minigames were still doable alone and they were still fun. I even played Mario Party 6 and 7, they had tons of unlockable stuff IIRC and were still fun.

Effect

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games has online multiplayer if your interested in that. Both can be played single player but I think the sporting events in the Mario & Sonic game might come off better solo.

daripad

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games has online multiplayer if your interested in that. Both can be played single player but I think the sporting events in the Mario & Sonic game might come off better solo.

Online multiplayer? Sounds good, how is the neetcode there? Is it decent? Is people still playing it?

Also I forgot to mention that Wii Party U is like 10 dollars cheaper than the sonic game in Mexico, so I still dont know. But if the content in the Sonic games is more abundant and the online is ok then I'll go for it.

Urko

Neo Member
You won't have much fun playing Wii Party U alone. I would definitely go with Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. There should be plenty of people playing online especially since the Winter Olympics are coming up soon.

cafemomo

I'm planing to get my own WiiU this year (I borrowed a WiiU just to play SM3DW) because it feels "empty" (if that is the best way to describe it) w/o a Nintendo home console.

Here is what I also plan to get

Yakuza 1+2 HD
W101
Zeruda Musuo
WWHD
Warriors Orochi
MoHu

with X, Smash, & Bayo 2 later down the road.

Anything else I should look out for?

How does CoD Ghost or AssCreed 4 run on it?

Also, itadaki street would be wonderful on this thing.

cafemomo

If you want to play this game you'll need a Japanese console. Unless you are japanese then ignore me.

I'll be importing a WiiU from Japan simply because it has better VC support (i.e Square) + I have a gut feeling there will be some Japan onry games that Nintendo won't bring to the west (like for example what happened with the Wii (Zangeki no Reginleiv))

Online multiplayer? Sounds good, how is the neetcode there? Is it decent? Is people still playing it?

Also I forgot to mention that Wii Party U is like 10 dollars cheaper than the sonic game in Mexico, so I still dont know. But if the content in the Sonic games is more abundant and the online is ok then I'll go for it.

There is also a Nintendo land + Luigi mote bundle. Nintendo Land is simple arcade fun for SP and the Metroid/Zelda attractions have a bit more depth.

daripad

There is also a Nintendo land + Luigi mote bundle. Nintendo Land is simple arcade fun for SP and the Metroid/Zelda attractions have a bit more depth.

I have NintendoLand already, thanks anyway.

Btw, I totally recommend it. Even if you ar going to play soo there is enough content to play for hours. Every minigame is very good (except the Ninja one, that one is just plainly boring and painful to play) and my favorites are Donke Kong Crash Course, Captain Falco's Twisted Race, Balloon Breeze, Metroid Blast and Zelda. They have given me a lot of fun and I still want to go back to it. The minigames have enough challange and they are deeper than what one would find on Wii Sports. There are even stamps (achievements) and trophies for each minigame so you can try and beat your scores even after finishing what there is in each minigame. And for last, the best minigame of the bunch is the coin dropper thing, which I always want to go back to each time I play another minigame because the music is cool and is very fun to play.. Overall a very polished game that would do better with three more minigames but what it offers is really good and you are not getting half assed minigames, the ones there have enough stuff to do and the music and grahics are the best ones in a WiiU game (though I just have played lots of demos and Mario 3D World, so I don't really know about it yet).

sphagnum

Banned
I'll be importing a WiiU from Japan simply because it has better VC support (i.e Square) + I have a gut feeling there will be some Japan onry games that Nintendo won't bring to the west (like for example what happened with the Wii (Zangeki no Reginleiv))

Well, there's Taiko no Tatsujin and Monster Hunter Frontier. Who knows if DQX will ever get released here. So there's a few Japanese only Wii U games so far.

cafemomo

Well, there's Taiko no Tatsujin and Monster Hunter Frontier. Who knows if DQX will ever get released here. So there's a few Japanese only Wii U games so far.

Capcom region locked MoHu Frontier to japanese IP addresses like the evil people they are. (and I found that the hard way with the PS3 ver)

DQX is also IP locked I believe. :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
First, a tip to Italian/WiiU GAF:

GAME & WARIO U is €14,27at Amazon Italy

also

Wii Party U w/ black Remote Plus is down to €34,99

What do to, decisions decisions, mumble mumble

I need a party game I think, I own Nintendoland but I hear (haven't played it yet) that it's too difficult for non-gamers like family and such. Dunno which one to choose since I already have like 5 remotes, 2 w/ the m+ attachment and one's a proper Remote plus. All in all Wii Party U would cost €10 since Remotes+ alone go for €25... I just don't want another black one, I would have jumped on the blue one.

What do you guys suggest, which game is better and meatier to play with family?
I enjoyed a lot both Wario Wares on GBA, quite a bit of the Wii one even going at it solo. The DS games, not so much. Never played Wii Party on Wii, is there a mod akin to snakes&ladders or the Game of Goose, with the players rolling dices and going from beginning to the end on a board or something? I guess a bit like Mario Party which, brace yourselves, I've NEVER played either, not even for 5 minutes one of the 11 games in the series, lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wii Party U has several board games like mode, where you throw dices and play minigames. It's great for family games. It contain 80 mini-games, so it has great diversity.

As for Nintendo Land, Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing minigames are the best local multiplayer games you can get for a party. Casuals will love those.

Game&Wario has practically just one party mini-game - Sketch. It is a lot of fun and you can play it even for a full evening, but has limited replayability in the end if you have mainly the same people over.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I got Injustice for Christmas, and have been playing with my brothers. I rarely play fighting games, in fact the last time I played one(not including smash bros), was probably Killer Instinct on the 64.

So I decided to jump into online tonight, figuring I'd lose, but would have fun. Nope. I just get absolutely destroyed by a guy using Scorpion, I maybe hit him three times the entire match.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wii Party U has several board games like mode, where you throw dices and play minigames. It's great for family games. It contain 80 mini-games, so it has great diversity.

As for Nintendo Land, Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing minigames are the best local multiplayer games you can get for a party. Casuals will love those.

Game&Wario has practically just one party mini-game - Sketch. It is a lot of fun and you can play it even for a full evening, but has limited replayability in the end if you have mainly the same people over.

Thanks for the advice.
Sounds like I should maybe have a go myself at Nintendoland first, then if I feel it's needed maybe buy Party U.
Too bad 'cause I love the personality of Made in Wario's art while I find WPU to look sooooo boring and devoid of character. Still, 80 mini games and board-like modes sounds great and the game is super cheap, 10€ is like a beer + pizza, great deal... which would be even better if the remote bundles weren't just in black or white :p

cacildo

I got Injustice for Christmas, and have been playing with my brothers. I rarely play fighting games, in fact the last time I played one(not including smash bros), was probably Killer Instinct on the 64.

So I decided to jump into online tonight, figuring I'd lose, but would have fun. Nope. I just get absolutely destroyed by a guy using Scorpion, I maybe hit him three times the entire match.

Online gaming... Sadness and despair in One place

Its no use. You will only be good at an online game if you play it A LOT online, and most of us dont have the time, or simply dont Love the game enough to play it só many times until you get really good at it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm at around 30 or so retail games. I've nothing left to get - maybe the Sonic game, other than that i'm missing COD games, The Simple party game thing and the Japanese strategy game thing.

AniHawk

I'm at around 30 or so retail games. I've nothing left to get - maybe the Sonic game, other than that i'm missing COD games, The Simple party game thing and the Japanese strategy game thing.

i don't recommend the sonic game and i like parts of the sonic game.

DCharlie

yeah, i hear it's pretty dire - it's the only game out there going up in value on the WiiU it seems (and i guess Lego City) - and i don't fancy dropping 6000 yen on a Sonic game , i already bought the frigging Sochi Winter Olympics thing so i've already felt the sick burn of sonics hand.

boyshine

That sounds about right for me as well, I've got 24 now, and missing Sonic, W101 (hated the demo, still not ready believe the full game is that much better), MH3U (played it on Wii, not my kind of game), Batman AO and COD Ghosts, and I'll probably get Wii Fit U soon. Besides that (and upcoming 1st party games), I don't know what to get. Visiting Namco-Bandai on monday, I think I'll pitch my Ridge Racer Type FZ idea :p Also, I just KNOW that Soulcalibur 2 HD would be an instant eShop hit. Same with Ultra Street Fighter IV - so get on it Capcom (look I even spelled it correctly).

DCharlie

That sounds about right for me as well, I've got 24 now, and missing Sonic, W101 (hated the demo, still not ready believe the full game is that much better), MH3U (played it on Wii, not my kind of game), Batman AO and COD Ghosts, and I'll probably get Wii Fit U soon. Besides that (and upcoming 1st party games), I don't know what to get. Visiting Namco-Bandai on monday, I think I'll pitch my Ridge Racer Type FZ idea :p Also, I just KNOW that Soulcalibur 2 HD would be an instant eShop hit. Same with Ultra Street Fighter IV - so get on it Capcom (look I even spelled it correctly).

I'd love to believe that Ridge Vision 2010 is just delayed and it's due out any moment.... (the series is dead , isn't it? :/ )

I'm basically waiting for X and Mario Kart, and that's about it - don't care about anything else out there so far, hoping that there's going to be some games of note - like a Pilotwings, or an Advance Wars, or ... just something.

ozfunghi

Finished Deus Ex HR/DC tonight... or better, this morning. Put 61 hours into it. Very good. I suggest people who never played it on other platforms to get it. It's really really good.

Now i have to finish The Wonderful 101.

boyshine

One of my biggest issues with 3rd party developers is the lack of continuation from Wii to Wii U. Some of those Wii series really could get a boost given the HD + GamePad treatment.

peswii800vub67.png

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014. The combination of Wii controls + HD graphics could have made this the best football/soccer game ever.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14. PGA13 skipped Wii for some reason, but PGA12 for Wii stands as the best golf game ever made, mainly because of MotionPlus and Balance Board support. I don't have the numbers, but I also seem to recall that PGA10 on Wii (the one with Motion Plus adapter bundled) was the best selling game in the series' history across all platforms. Again, combine that with HD graphics and second screen "caddy mode" or even just what WSC Golf does with the ball camera.. seriously, developers.. it's such a fucking waste of potential.

Boom Blox. I know it's EA, but come on. How perfect wouldn't this be as an eShop game with touch controls?

Trauma Center. Someone needs to pick it up, or make a similar style game. Again, perfect for the GamePad.

Resident Evil. After the success of REmake and RE4 on GC, and RE4 again on Wii, and I even think the first RE Chronicles game did decent numbers, it's time for a new Nintendo (timed) exclusive RE-game to shake things up after things becoming too safe and boring with 5 and 6. Start with RE2 remake (when zombies attack, show it 1st person on the GamePad, shake to break away), then REU. Get the blood boiling and fanboys arguing again.

Evolution of Family (We) Ski/Go Vacation series. I honestly expected after the Iwata Asks that something was in the works for Wii U from these guys. Sadly, nothing yet.

Zack & Wiki. Sure, it became a common bargain bin filler for Wii, but it still was a fan favorite, and the launch of Wii U would've been a perfect time to do the sequel (name it something without the number 2, so people not familiar with the first wouldn't be afraid to jump in).

Party games. This was huge once. First on PS2, then on Wii. Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, Chess/Checkers/Backgammon collections, quiz games (Sony messed up Buzz! so who will step up to the throne? They're still very much in high demand), card games.. I could even see a lot of the board games working with the NFC sensor, activating certain cards, chips, money or whatever they include with the game. And in 1080p they could actually look crisp and more like the real thing. Lots and lots of potential with both dual-screen and off-tv here as well.

Other Wii-developers
Monster Games. You made the cult hit phenomenon Excite Truck. And the somewhat forgotten Excitebots (not even released in europe). Where are you now? 3DS? Come back to the big screen!
Next Level Games. Mario Striker-series (best Mario-spinoff series IMO), Jungle Speed (one of the very best multiplayer games on WiiWare), the amazing Punch-Out!! and equally fantastic Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS. Please don't be another Wii-to-3DS studio. You are needed for Wii U.
High Voltage Studios. The Conduit games were far from the best of its genre, but High Voltage's desire to do things with Wii that others claimed impossible and lead the way for FPS pointer controls was very much appreciated. More developers like this, please.

Hopefully 2014 will bring a lot of new announcements of many fun and innovative games from passionate developers who love the console and GamePad, and see the same potential in it, as I do. If not, I'll just play Mario Kart 8 for the rest of my life.

And of course, this:

shenmuua2xet.png

ozfunghi

High Voltage Studios. The Conduit games were far from the best of its genre, but High Voltage's desire to do things with Wii that others claimed impossible and lead the way for FPS pointer controls was very much appreciated.

I must have been asleep when that happened, because in my mind Metroid Prime and Call of Duty WaW had already done that by that time. And Both games were quite a bit better than the Conduit. But maybe i have the releases mixed up but i doubt it.

NickMitch

I crave some new game reveals...2014 seems so empty...Metroid universe empty...

There have to be more games in developemet...there have to.

Top Bottom