• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Riki

Anyone that thought Smash was coming in 2015 was crazy.
Smash, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Toad.
That's some good shit.
A shame June and July are barren.

thefro

That's some good shit.

Pushmo World & Shovel Knight come out in June. Wii Sports Club retail release in July.

Not saying those replace big-time retail games but there's not going to be a lack of games available to play between those and all the other indie games.

TDLink

My guesses (along with the confirmations) of release dates:

Pushmo World - June
Wii Sports Club - July
Art Academy - August
Hyrule Warriors - September
Bayonetta 2 (Including Bayonetta) - October
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - November
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - December

Mario Maker - January or February (Officially "First Half of 2015")
Yoshi's Wooly World - March (Officially "First Half of 2015")
Splatoon - March (Officially "First Half of 2015")
Xenoblade Chronicles X - May
Mario Party 10 - May
Mario vs. Donkey Kong U - June
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - September
Star Fox - October
The Legend of Zelda - November

Not Sure/TBA
Devil's Third
Fire Emblem X SMT
Fatal Frame V
Project Guard
Project Giant Robot

TDLink

Ok thanks. It was just weird that they gave a month for the 3DS version but not the Wii U version if it comes this year.

They don't want to announce a date and then say it's "delayed" if they require more debug time. They are probably aiming for November, to half it out prior to Black Friday. But I am betting it will end up in early December (and that is probably what they have projected internally).

Raitaro

I was hoping this would be the year I could call Gamestop for real and ask about Battletoads. :(

That reminds me: what was the news or announcement (Nintendo related or otherwise) that was tied to that news about Gamestop extending their opening hours during E3? Do we know yet?

I do care about the majority of the upcoming Wii U games, but I can't help but wish that more of them would release during summer instead. Odd that the previous console generation lasted so long (too long for many people) but that all new platforms have so little to offer their consumers in 2014. It's almost as if all of them still released a year too soon, despite feeling like they came a year too late. Patience, as always, remains a virtue of course...

xandaca

Fighting games aren't really my thing, which rules out Smash Bros and Bayonetta, while Captain Toad bored me to tears in 3D World and Dynasty Warriors has always seemed repetitive. Unless Devil's Third turns out stunningly well, looks like Mario Kart is my only Wii U game this year! At least there's Mario Maker (provided it's deep enough), Xenoblade, and Zelda in 2015.

TDLink

Fighting games aren't really my thing, which rules out Smash Bros and Bayonetta, while Captain Toad bored me to tears in 3D World and Dynasty Warriors has always seemed repetitive. Unless Devil's Third turns out stunningly well, looks like Mario Kart is my only Wii U game this year! At least there's Mario Maker (provided it's deep enough), Xenoblade, and Zelda in 2015.

Bayonetta is not a fighting game.

prag16

Banned
That's some good shit.

They could have helped bridged the gap with some N64 VC and the first MK8 DLC pack. But I guess not...

RiggyRob

What makes you think they aren't coming? DLC is especially something Nintendo has traditionally announced and released straight away.

Conflicting stuff with the Mercedes DLC and the amiibo stuff for Mario Kart 8 at the very least - we know they're doing DLC as evidenced by the Mercedes car, but the amiibo figurines (which could possibly be used to add characters like Diddy Kong and Birdo to Mario Kart 8) aren't going to work with Mario Kart 8 until at least after Smash.

brett2

Overall it's a pretty good lineup. The biggest strength is that we are getting a lot of very different types of games, unlike previously where there were too many platformers. It's arguably more varied than the next 18 months of releases for either PS4 or XBoxOne, which are very heavy on shooters and sports games. 2015 has more first day buys for me personally but that's just my tendency to avoid full price games.

Day 1:
Mario Maker
StarFox (hopefully!)
Zelda

Probably Wait For Discount / Used:
Bayonetta
Smash
Xenoblade
Captain Toad
Splatoon
Yoshi
Robot tower defense / robot fighting game just demoed

Already Released Games I Still Need To Get:
Mario Kart
Pikmin
W101
Donkey Kong Country
Sonic Lost World

prag16

Banned
What makes you think they aren't coming? DLC is especially something Nintendo has traditionally announced and released straight away.

Nothing announced yet is what makes me think it's probably not coming July/August. Later than that? Sure. But I hope I'm wrong and those things come sooner.

jmizzal

They don't want to announce a date and then say it's "delayed" if they require more debug time. They are probably aiming for November, to half it out prior to Black Friday. But I am betting it will end up in early December (and that is probably what they have projected internally).

No way they dont get Smash out before Black Friday, if it can come out in early Dec it can come out mid Nov. If it has some small bugs they can always patch it at launch unlike with Wii.

Have they announced the NA "how to survive" release date? It's up on the euro eshop , so can't be long

I thought it would come out today but the WiiU eshop got no new games only VC games, for some reason NOA keeps holding the game back

Yagami_Sama

Nintendo had a very good presentation. I missed the new Fatal Frame, and more news about the Shin Megami X Fire Emblem.
But overall, they showed a lot of new games.

And create and avatar for "X" did not please me, in footage,during cut scenes the avatar looked misplaced.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Tweaked the design and added Sonic Boom - I'll update the rest later, wanted to test how it looks like. ^^

watchgps0g.png

cars9usz2.png

toad9xsm6.png

Nice work Smoker!

Awesome update Smoker!

For 2014, what I think you're missing is...
- One Piece Unlimited World Red - retail in Europe/JP - June 27th, 2014 for EU; July 8th for US (digital only in NA on Wii U)
- Wii Sports Club Retail has a date of 7/11/2014 in Europe
- Disney Infinity 2.0 - 9/23/2014 (at least in the US? no idea about EU)
- Just Dance 2015 - 10/21/2014
- Sonic Boom - Nov. 2014
- Watch Dogs Wii U is also mentioned to be Nov. 2014

Btw, Smoker, I know I've mentioned One Piece multiple times, but is there a particular reason you haven't put it up? Just wondering if there's some sort of cut-off in terms of what's put up or not =). It does release as a retail game in Europe (but not in NA), so I thought it might count. It also seems to be a decent quality game (as opposed to a completely licensed game like Transformers or Spiderman). I also thought you might be a fan considering your username =).

There's also Disney Infinity 2.0 & JD2015 if you think that should go up. Thanks!

Btw, Smoker, I know I've mentioned One Piece multiple times, but is there a particular reason you haven't put it up? Just wondering if there's some sort of cut-off in terms of what's put up or not =). It does release as a retail game in Europe (but not in NA), so I thought it might count. It also seems to be a decent quality game (as opposed to a completely licensed game like Transformers or Spiderman). I also thought you might be a fan considering your username =).

There's also Disney Infinity 2.0 & JD2015 if you think that should go up. Thanks!
I'll add it soon, just didn't have the time yet because I'm writing a test soon and focused on the design and as a big One Piece fan.. I have to add it anyway. ^^

DrWong

Captain Smoker, Bayo 1 offer is not exclusive to the retail version, I believe Nintendo confirmed you'll be able to download it with both Bayo 2 versions (retail/eShop).

Wow Captain, you know your shit!! Amazing job.

I have a good backlog right know, need to finish W101, LoZ WW and Pikmin 3.

For sure I think I will get Bayo2/Bayo1 and Captain Toad. Hyrule Warriors looks cool but I am not sure. Smash looks great but I am not sure as I am not that much into fighters, probably will still get it because my 8yo son loves Brawl.

vareon

I'm really happy to see that Wii U has officially passed my threshold of "yep, a good time to buy" now.

With the 2013 and first half of 2014 games, plus upcoming 2015 games, I'm all set. With 3DS and PC that's more than enough of my gaming time.

maxcriden

What did they announce?

Oh, I totally forgot about that, sorry. Here are the links:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelsto...ole-update-gba-titles-breath-of-fire-and-more

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834039

I'm really happy to see that Wii U has officially passed my threshold of "yep, a good time to buy" now.

With the 2013 and first half of 2014 games, plus upcoming 2015 games, I'm all set. With 3DS and PC that's more than enough of my gaming time.

Make sure to go for one of the Nintendo refurbs from their online store!

vareon

maxcriden

Sadly that won't be an option. I live half the world across US, so unless someone literally went there and back I have to resort to the jacked-up price of my local distributors.

Ah, sorry to hear it. Good luck on finding it for a good price, then! I'm sure you'll be delighted with it once you do get it.

ozfunghi

So, are they going to treat us to the same "buy it to see it" bullshit with Project Cars? The game has been in development a lot longer than the other consoles, but we have yet to see an actual screenshot (aside from that blurry gamepad shot) or video of the WiiU version. It's kind of getting on my nerves. Judging by the amount of exposure Nintendo gave 3rd parties and indies on E3 (Treehouse) i kind of doubt it was Nintendo not letting them and rather them not being ready or interested.

Also, what are the chances of Fatal Frame getting localized?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So, are they going to treat us to the same "buy it to see it" bullshit with Project Cars? The game has been in development a lot longer than the other consoles, but we have yet to see an actual screenshot (aside from that blurry gamepad shot) or video of the WiiU version. It's kind of getting on my nerves. Judging by the amount of exposure Nintendo gave to 3rd parties and indies on E3 (Treehouse) i kind of doubt it was Nintendo not letting them and rather them not being ready or interested.

Also, what are the chances of Fatal Frame getting localized?

Have we seen an XB1, 360 or PS3 screen of Project Cars? I think we only saw a PS4 screen recently at best. Pretty much every screen has been PC so far.

Fatal Frame is weird because the first couple games on Sony platforms got localized but not the Nintendo ones as much. I think one of the Wii ones was localized in Europe, the other wasn't at all.

ozfunghi

Have we seen an XB1, 360 or PS3 screen of Project Cars? I think we only saw a PS4 screen recently at best. Pretty much every screen has been PC so far.

360/PS3 was cancelled though, right? And i thought there had been indeed PS4 footage/screens, unless i'm mistaken.

butalala

Hey Wii U-GAF, I'm wondering which COD game I should get to play with my friend that likes the shootan games. Do both games have decent online communities? Is one game better than the other? CODBlops 2 is a bit more appealing because it's cheaper, but if there's no one to play online with, then what's the point?

You can take two people online with one console, right?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Wii U-GAF, I'm wondering which COD game I should get to play with my friend that likes the shootan games. Do both games have decent online communities? Is one game better than the other? CODBlops 2 is a bit more appealing because it's cheaper, but if there's no one to play online with, then what's the point?

BLOPS2 is the better game, and the player count isn't much different between the two, at least is wasn't when I played Ghosts.

You won't have a problem getting into team death match, domination, maybe kill confirmed and free for all, other game modes will be a problem though.

Yes you can go online with two people, one on the gamepad, one on the TV.

butalala

BLOPS2 is the better game, and the player count isn't much different between the two, at least is wasn't when I played Ghosts.

You won't have a problem getting into team death match, domination, maybe kill confirmed and free for all, other game modes will be a problem though.

Yes you can go online with two people, one on the gamepad, one on the TV.

Great. Thanks very much for your response.

tebunker

Banned

if you live near a Toys r Us in the states, odds are you can get both for under $20 a piece, I got them each for $18 just a couple weeks ago.

I am sad that there is no campaign co-op.

Top Bottom