• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Arksy

It's not 1-15 it's the questing interface. You see this SMS/text message at the bottom of the screen when you accept a quest and then you hear a short voice dialogue which for some bizzare reason matches the text in meaning but not words.

They're not only constrained by the pointless restriction of 140 characters per quest by they're also delivered through a mess of an interface. I didn't know what I was accepting and completing half the time. Mind you I'm glad this is all moddable but I tried the 'classic quest interface' mod which didn't really help.

Do quests get wordier as you go through? There's really fuck all you can do with so few words. I doubt Romeo and Juliet would be anywhere near as renown if it were; "Boy meets girl, they fall in love, they die."

It's not 1-15 it's the questing interface. You see this SMS/text message at the bottom of the screen when you accept a quest and then you hear a short voice dialogue which for some bizzare reason matches the text in meaning but not words.

They're not only constrained by the pointless restriction of 140 characters per quest by they're also delivered through a mess of an interface. I didn't know what I was accepting and completing half the time. Mind you I'm glad this is all moddable but I tried the 'classic quest interface' mod which didn't really help.

Do quests get wordier as you go through? There's really fuck all you can do with so few words. I doubt Romeo and Juliet would be anywhere near as renown if it were; "Boy meets girl, they fall in love, they die."

Did you try the classic quest dialog or the better quest log? Honestly the amount of text used is generally the same as what you'd get in a quest dialog in WoW. Honestly the majority of players care more about the Quest Summary or Objective than they do the flavor text anyway. Most click through it all as fast as they can.

So despite the fact that "it gets better" is a common refrain you are want to write the game off. Show me an MMO with great early game. Wildstar's isn't even that bad....greatly exaggerated how "poor" the first 15 levels or so are.

No, I'm not "writing the game off". I'll be there at launch, and I figure I'll push through, but it hasn't exactly been the greatest thing since sliced bread. Other people I know with similar experiences have written the game off because of it. It's a problem.

Arken2121

Quick question to any Warriors out there, does anyone know if the amp Kinetic drive stop Kinetic energy decay in combat when you're sprinting?

Yoday

This is the best part about the questing. I like to have a general idea of what is going on, but I couldn't care less about reading multiple paragraphs of text before doing a quest. The way WS does it gives me a simple summary without slowing me down in my pursuit of completing quests. The vast majority of people couldn't care less about quest text, so this is the best balance.

Ferny

I personally can't remember the last time I read quest text. Most of the time it's click, click, click, ok...off I go.

Did you try the classic quest dialog or the better quest log? Honestly the amount of text used is generally the same as what you'd get in a quest dialog in WoW. Honestly the majority of players care more about the Quest Summary or Objective than they do the flavor text anyway. Most click through it all as fast as they can.

Which is sad, especially in the light of BIG ARROWS leading the player there, safe in little bubbles.

Everis

Banned
Haven't been this hyped for a game in several years. Been craving a new mmo and a lot of the recent ones just haven't done it for me. I loved everything about the beta other than some annoying bugs. *cough*nameplates randomly disappearing*cough*

My only fear is it won't have the lasting appeal I want it to have. None of my RL friends are interested and they were a big part of what kept me going in WoW for so long. The game lost a lot of it's magic when my friends quit one by one... damn mobas.

aka_bueno

I can understand people not liking the simplified hand holding questing from 1-10, but not enough lore/story I don't agree with. It's there if you want it. Datacrons, Paths which reveal more info about lore or zones, even when you get Zone story quests you can click on the "..." dialogue option if you want to find out more info about a given quest. Usually this will lead to about 2-3 more back n forth interactions with you and your quest giver for dialogue.

I get plenty of lore (if I want it) from 10-20 (the max level I hit in beta). I skip most of the datacron stuff though, but for Zone quests i'll click the extra dialogue interactions.

And at 35 you'll get the world story quests which again, aren't in the beta.

If you want some super critical story for the regular fetch quest type of stuff, then you probably shouldn't be playing any MMOs.

For those that DON'T care about extra lore/story just ignore it and carry on.

desverger

Few days to go, I'm ready. Headstart begins at a nice time for us euro people, around 10AM my time :)

Going Exile/Human Warrior and Aurin Stalker as an alt. Sadly Aurin Warrior was not an option, lost potential right there. Anyway, I love melee and tanking and those characters should fill that need nicely.

Hopefully we'll get the release server list soon to sort out stuff with the guild, but I have a feeling there might not even be any new servers on the EU side of things..

This game looks fantastic. I was hoping with the new gen we'd start to see new MMOs on consoles but looks like I'll have to stick to my PC for MMO goodness.

lexi

Banned
What am I missing, how is it Saturday for us?

EDIT: You playing on an Oceanic realm? I know absolutely no1 except US people that are playing.

Headstart begins 12:01am on the Saturday, the 31st of May, US Time. Add 15 hours, and that's 3pm Saturday for you, 5pm for me. I made the same mistake in thinking it was Sunday.

Yeah I'll be playing on an Oceanic realm.

Dunlop

None at the moment. Just gonna wing it on a populated PVP server and go where the wind takes me. Et tu?

Have you done any world PVP?

I signed up for a guild on a PVP server (perfect raid times for me), but I cannot really find any information outside of a video they did april 2013

Headstart begins 12:01am on the Saturday, the 31st of May, US Time. Add 15 hours, and that's 3pm Saturday for you, 5pm for me. I made the same mistake in thinking it was Sunday.

Yeah I'll be playing on an Oceanic realm.

Oh, yep. Dumb mistake. Well even better then, though won't be playing till about 11pm.

I'm fine with either guild name, but since you're rolling on a different server we'd run into logistic issues if we wanted to use that name. We'd either have to wait for the reservation lock to come off, or you'd have to make a guild in order to free up the name -- but this would be a waste of money since you'd be leaving it right away to join Acolytes. We'll probably just stick with Neo Empire for ease sake, unless people have a strong preference for the other name.

Steven Mason

Neo Member
So excited to play, I have only really played Eve online from RMR as an MMO so not had much experience with more "land based" MMO but I am really excited for this one.

There just seems to be a lot of Dev chatter happening, how much of that continues after the game is released and passed a couple of months who knows but for the here and now is seems like they have their heads in the right places.

I am thinking of more dominion side but haven't fully decided yet. Will be looking for a UK/euro guild group to do these raids and dungeons with so if you have a place for me to go then send me a message....and don't think because I haven't played any raids in your WOW's and others that I am some kind of idiot....I planned and helped move fleets of hundreds through various large scale wars in eve online I think I should be able to handle a 40 man raid or the larger scale warplots :)

Gothos

Why? Auto attack adds nothing. It's just extra numbers. And the developers of other games know there's auto attacking, so the enemy's maximum health is effected. So, it's like...there's no difference.

I don't get this at all? What does auto attack add to any game?

I just hate the idea that I need to spam the basic attack. It's like I was playing hack'n'slash but instead of spamming left mouse button I had to spam 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1. After 2 minutes I had enough.

Einbroch

Banned
I just hate the idea that I need to spam the basic attack. It's like I was playing hack'n'slash but instead of spamming left mouse button I had to spam 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1. After 2 minutes I had enough.

Every class in every game has a spammable ability that you use when all your "good" abilities are on cooldowns or the requirements aren't met.

Mages will always spam their elemental bolt. Rogues will always spam their combo point building abilities. If you're standing around and not using an ability in an MMO you're doing it wrong, therefore, auto attack adds nothing.

DrBo42

So what do we think is going to be the best healer for PVE? That's primarily what I enjoy in MMOs so I'd like to know before I head in.

Einbroch

Banned
So what do we think is going to be the best healer for PVE? That's primarily what I enjoy in MMOs so I'd like to know before I head in.

For PVE, they are all fairly evenly balanced, but the consistent healing power of the Spellslinger may be better as consistency (both in damage and healing) is always better than burst. That said, all three healers bring something different and no raid should be without all three. Mass-scale PVP leans slightly towards Medic, and small-scale PVP leans slightly towards Esper. However, all are viable.

Dunlop

There is no "best" atm, there will be a lot of changes I assume to all of the classes after this game goes live and Carbine can look at numbers. But for now:

Medic - Raid Healer
Esper - Tank Healer
SS - Hybrid

Won

I think most people would hate that. And it's obviously not how the game works. It's just something that happens because you don't have enough abilities unlocked early on. Warrior especially suffer from this I think.

Ferny

I think most people would hate that. And it's obviously not how the game works. It's just something that happens because you don't have enough abilities unlocked early on. Warrior especially suffer from this I think.

I believe this is the case. I also feel like auto attacks are pointless in the way that they really don't do much damage anyhow so it's just something that is done in the middle of your next more powerful spell or ability.

DrBo42

For PVE, they are all fairly evenly balanced, but the consistent healing power of the Spellslinger may be better as consistency (both in damage and healing) is always better than burst. That said, all three healers bring something different and no raid should be without all three. Mass-scale PVP leans slightly towards Medic, and small-scale PVP leans slightly towards Esper. However, all are viable.

There is no "best" atm, there will be a lot of changes I assume to all of the classes after this game goes live and Carbine can look at numbers. But for now:

Medic - Raid Healer
Esper - Tank Healer
SS - Hybrid

Thanks for the responses. I hope SS is adequate at launch since I'm a big fan of Disc Priest. Seems the absorption on that class is the closest I'll get but I should really research each more. I've played medic up to 14 or so mostly PVP and I'm not a fan of how close range it is. With all the movement this game seems to encourage I feel like that would be a problem but again I don't have any solid evidence.

Ketch

So I'd really like to play this but I can't afford / don't want to pay full price for the game plus a monthly fee. That pricing model just doesn't work for me anymore, not with all the current great f2p or pay to play games out already. Really wish they went with the guild wars model, I would have been all over that.

It's a shame too because it looks awesome and sounds like people are really enjoying it. I wonder how the pricing is going to effect the games success overall.

So I'd really like to play this but I can't afford / don't want to pay full price for the game plus a monthly fee. That pricing model just doesn't work for me anymore, not with all the current great f2p or pay to play games out already. Really wish they went with the guild wars model, I would have been all over that.

It's a shame too because it looks awesome and sounds like people are really enjoying it. I wonder how the pricing is going to effect the games success overall.
The reason it's pay to play is Carbine is treating it like a premium subscription. They are releasing big patches each month with new permanent content, like new zones, raids, etc. They have a year of content already planned and in development.

Nirran

You can get it through greenmangaming for $48 right now with the 20% coupon on their front page. There was a 25% off coupon but that ran out. From what I played in beta it's worth every penny.

Gothos

Yea, I was playing Warrior. It really felt like I had to spam one button to use an attack that in other MMOs is an auto-attack. It was retarded feeling and made me literally sick :p They should give Warr some 2nd ability right from the start so it feels like there is some kind of rotation right away.

Gothos

The reason it's pay to play is Carbine is treating it like a premium subscription. They are releasing big patches each month with new permanent content, like new zones, raids, etc. They have a year of content already planned and in development.

Bullshit excuse, to be honest. They behave like F2P/B2P don't serve regular, big updates on regular basis...

Top Bottom