• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Logged in after work for a bit today but I'm not really feeling it. I'm waiting for this to open up a little and not feel so grindy (lvl 15).

Edit: I think maybe playing Esper is my main problem as I don't think I'm enjoying it too much (it's not the casting damage class I wanted). Lately it seems all I do is stare at the psi counter so that I can unleash a bigger attack. Does this change very much later on or is this typical gameplay in the later levels?

I play a healer, but my gameplay is much more involved. I'm trying to manage how exactly to spend my psi points. I'll set up a bit of sustain healing with Enlightenment, use Mind Over Body in order to fill heal, and spend my psi points with my big AoE heal (blanking on name) or a big single person heal with Healing Banner (i think is the name?), and i have a few utility abilities as well which i'll use as needed. So for me the playstyle is very active and dynamic, as i'm having to adapt to the situation at hand. I don't always have the time to build up 5 points to give a massive heal to everyone in the party, and instead just burn 2 of them on Healing Banner to keep the tank alive.

arimanius

Got my warrior to 8 on warbringer. Thought I'd try some battlegrounds and got a headache. Felt like I brought a knife to a gun fight. Which technically I guess I did lol

Seems that Carbine is going to allow free realm transfers. From Reddit:

Cougar just came on the Twitch stream with an update on Realm Transfers. Basically, the tech for it broke when being put on the live servers, and they've been working on fixing it, with the hope of getting it out for official launch. They are (at the same time) also discussing what their policy will be on payed vs free transfers. His one statement was that they were wanting to discourage people from doing the 'switch to temp server while queues die down then switch back'.

So my guess would be they allow transfers to less populated servers, but transferring to the big ones right now (Pergo, etc.) will be paid, as they want to discourage more people going to those. Seems that's coming in tonight patch along with more optimizations, and bug fixes.

Somnia

Seems that Carbine is going to allow free realm transfers. From Reddit:

So my guess would be they allow transfers to less populated servers, but transferring to the big ones right now (Pergo, etc.) will be paid, as they want to discourage more people going to those. Seems that's coming in tonight patch along with more optimizations, and bug fixes.

He actually said servers like Pergo won't allow anyone to transfer to it, but that could change.

They also confirmed guild neighborhoods and mansions coming within the next couple updates.

Nirran

Hey everyone, as you can imagine we’ve been seeing calls for Free Realm Transfers on the forums, reddit on the live-stream. We’ve been working hard to make sure we take a measured approach to this delicate process. So in an effort to bring relief to some of our most populated Realms, we are offering free Realm Transfers off of these Realms and onto some of the lesser populated Realms. Once the server maintenance is complete on June 3rd, 12:00AM PDT, you will have the option to transfer your characters from the following Realms:

NA
Pergo to Rowsdower
Pago to Rowsdower
Widow to Rowsdower

Stormtalon to Mikros

Caretaker to Orias

EU
Hazak to Contagion
Hazak to Gaius
Hazak to Deadstar

Progenitor to Deadstar

Treespeaker to Gaius

Please be aware, there will likely be a rush for Realm transfers when we first open up the service. The transfer process can take time. In some cases it may take up to 24 hours depending on the volume of transactions.

Additional Information:
Upon the event that we need to remove one of the destination Realms from the free transfer service, we will give the community 48 hour notice before removing a destination Realm from the list of Free Transfers.
When new Realms open post launch, we will message if this Realm is a transfer target or not. If the new Realm is not, then the “race to 50” will be preserved on that Realm for at least 2-4 weeks, and transfers will be prevented for that time.

The Realm transfer can only be enacted from the character select screen, so you will have to wait in a queue to enact the transfer if there is one on the source Realm.

You can move any number of characters you want as many times as you want, but each character can only be moved once every 22 hours.
You cannot have pending mail, auctions, commodity orders, or CREDD orders
You cannot be a member of a circle, Arena Team, Warparty, or a Guild
You cannot be in a circle, Arena Team, Warparty, or Guild leader

A note on Rowsdower - In the event that Rowsdower becomes overloaded, we are prepared to open new PvP Realms that Rowsdower players would be able to transfer to.

Free server transfers coming after maintenance tonight.

kch

Hmm no transfer from Zhur :( Debating if I should delete my lv18 char on Dominion and reroll Exile with eu-gaf, as dungeons with pugs does sound terrible.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I don't even know if I want to transfer my main from Pergo now. It's like an exclusive club!

Plus, it doesn't seem like there's much of a benefit to have my characters on the same server.

Somnia

I got home from the gym, waited in queue, got to play an hour before servers going down =( oh well got an hour in today lol

joesmokey

Just got to 20 on my Esper.

I'm...just not feeling the class. The lack of mobility is really turning me off. :(
I feel exactly the same way. Main problem for me also is that the casts don't really have any visual oomph at all. There's no fun payoff after sitting there waiting the entire time.

Waited hour and a half. Played for 5 mins and servers die ... T_T.

Not playing Espers cause I don't like the theme of it. That and I hear healing is kinda stationary.

Einbroch

Banned
Waited hour and a half. Played for 5 mins and servers die ... T_T.

Not playing Espers cause I don't like the theme of it. That and I hear healing is kinda stationary.

Actually their healing is quite mobile. Lots and lots of instant casts and movable charging heals. It's their damage that's funky. Their main damage ability that you use 80% of the time is completely stationary, but their supplemental abilities are mobile and powerful. It's a little counter-intuitive.

The mobile abilities are always stronger than your spam attack. The issue with that is that in order to maximize your DPS you should be using them on cooldown. But if they're on cooldown, then when you have to move, you're doing nothing. It feels strange. Your mobile abilities should do less damage but have the benefit of being mobile. It's like they took the good parts of two abilities and smashed them into one ability, leaving the other feeling lackluster.

Mastamind

so... unusable epix.

xe2XTUV.jpg

Tokubetsu

Actually their healing is quite mobile. Lots and lots of instant casts and movable charging heals. It's their damage that's funky. Their main damage ability that you use 80% of the time is completely stationary, but their supplemental abilities are mobile and powerful. It's a little counter-intuitive.

The mobile abilities are always stronger than your spam attack. The issue with that is that in order to maximize your DPS you should be using them on cooldown. But if they're on cooldown, then when you have to move, you're doing nothing. It feels strange. Your mobile abilities should do less damage but have the benefit of being mobile. It's like they took the good parts of two abilities and smashed them into one ability, leaving the other feeling lackluster.

Yeah, it throws me off particularly in in PvP. It's hard to get that main sword throw (your "main" dmg spell) off without feeling like some kind of vulture hanging back out of the fight but the floating blade stuff feels weak in comparison.

Not to mention the whole I gotta use these until I get my stack to burn with the meaty finishers. The whole stationary caster meets rogue dps is really strange. I might just not be getting "it" though.

All that said, everynow and then it comes together and you manage to root, dps, then knockdown dps ppl and I feel better. I feel really good in grps too. Basically I feel way more competent and useful when I'm not soloing something and having to worry about mitigating or avoiding damage.

BearPawB

Banned
Man. They were not joking. The dungeons are super hard from the get go. There is no warm up. It is just instantly very hard.

ValfarHL

Sorry, I don't check this thread very often. There's actually three PVE and PVP channels for Wildstar that you can use. I went ahead and created an EU room anyways, but I haven't seen more than 5 or 6 folks on at a time and none in the PVE and PVP sub-channels. Everyone just hangs out in the Root folder.

Thanks! We'll put it in motd and hopefully people will join. :)

ValfarHL

Man. They were not joking. The dungeons are super hard from the get go. There is no warm up. It is just instantly very hard.

Is this a good or bad thing, though? From what I hear its almost impossible to clear a dungeon without a good group. Maybe a slightly easier mode with slightly worse or less loot or exp sould be availabe for groups consisting of random people.

BearPawB

Banned
Is this a good or bad thing, though? From what I hear its almost impossible to clear a dungeon without a good group. Maybe a slightly easier mode with slightly worse or less loot or exp sould be availabe for groups consisting of random people.

I think it is a little much for 5 mans. I don't mind super hard raid content. But the game doesn't bother easing you into it at all. The first boss has several mechanics that are not immediately obvious, and that are difficult to pull off.

I think the first boss of the first instance should ease you into the game a little more...

Jira

So it seems the huge memory leak is tied to the use of Bijiplates, but there's a fix for it.

What's happening is the nameplates are being created but not being destroyed hence the leak.

So to fix, open up bijiplates.lua and find the line called

-- Add the Gibb check

Underneath that, replace the line with

if tNameplate.bGibbed then bShowNameplate = false; tNameplate=nil; end

Jira

I get the feeling that ultimately either people will learn or quit. The dungeons are absolutely no joke and that's just the first dungeons, not to mention the later ones, or veteran modes, or the silver medal requirements to start raiding. Point is that not just any player will be able to even step foot into a 20 man raid unless they're competent. Obviously there's pros and cons here, means the people you'll be playing with won't royally fuck up all the time but it also means people might just stop playing the game all together. It's a fine line that Carbine will have to walk and I don't envy them.

TheYanger

Eh, I think the first boss of Stormtalon has a bit of a curve, but the first boss of KV is pretty simplistic all things considered, really the only thing you NEED to learn that you may not have, is interrupt armor and coordinated interrupts.

Jira

Eh, I think the first boss of Stormtalon has a bit of a curve, but the first boss of KV is pretty simplistic all things considered, really the only thing you NEED to learn that you may not have, is interrupt armor and coordinated interrupts.

That's still considerably hard for a lot of DPS. I was tanking KV earlier and I told them before we started that every DPS needed at least 1 interrupt slotted. Do you think they interrupted? Hell no, they'd use their damn interrupt every time it was off cooldown. Finally beat the damn boss after 8 wipes cause the DPS never interrupted and wouldn't move out of the big AOE knockbacks no matter how many times we said to do so. Get to the next trash pack that heals unless you interrupt it and what do they do? They don't interrupt and at that point it had been over an hour to kill 3 trash and 1 boss. I knew at that point there was no way in hell that group would have made it to the end of the dungeon.

Interrupts needed to be taught in the tutorial and not allow the player to leave until they understand how it works considering it's probably the most important PVE mechanic in the game.

zonq

Hmm no transfer from Zhur :( Debating if I should delete my lv18 char on Dominion and reroll Exile with eu-gaf, as dungeons with pugs does sound terrible.

Do it! Did the same after I noticed that I'm leveling the wrong faction, rerolled Exile and joined the Zhur guild. Much more interesting to play with a couple of people than playing all alone, especially when I start doing Dungeons. What I read here doesn't make me wanna do them with PUGs.

TheYanger

I'm imagining the pug quality will have to improve - dungeon pugs used to be mostly competent before wow levelling dungeons got easy mode, it took a long time for them to devolve to what they are now, and I think the gaming community at large is wholly capable of moving BACK towards paying attention and giving a fuck what others are saying about things to help them again. It'll just take some time and probably some whiners quitting.

desverger

Coordinating interrupts is the most difficult thing to do in pugs. Heck, we're having a hard time doing it in a prebuilt group because it's something new to the table, something we've never had to do in a mmo before. Previously you assigned one guy to interrupt duty and that was it, nobody else had to take it into account.

Also, the window to interrupt is like second or two before the interrupt armor comes back, so you need to be really good at it too :p

It's definitely something to learn and practice in dungeons and I'm glad they're introducing it early.

Tokubetsu

Do it! Did the same after I noticed that I'm leveling the wrong faction, rerolled Exile and joined the Zhur guild. Much more interesting to play with a couple of people than playing all alone, especially when I start doing Dungeons. What I read here doesn't make me wanna do them with PUGs.

Space Romans > Space Rebels

ValfarHL

Coordinating interrupts is the most difficult thing to do in pugs. Heck, we're having a hard time doing it in a prebuilt group because it's something new to the table, something we've never had to do in a mmo before.

Also, the window to interrupt is like second or two before the interrupt armor comes back, so you need to be really good at it too :p

It's definitely something to learn and practice in dungeons and I'm glad they're introducing it early.

This makes me want to roll a dps class so bad. :p

TheYanger

Don't be fooled - it's not just a DPS job. Every class has interrupts, some more than others, but when necessary it's really good to have LOTS of them available. Besides, they're a DPS gain so people should WANT to do it.

desverger

Pretty much everyone will need to bring at least one interrupt to the table in the grand scheme of things, and it's not just the dps' job. As a tank, I'm accustomed to running with multiple, just to be safe :p

Won

The only real issue I had with the dungeons and other players yesterday was that people couldn't figure out the disarm/pickup weapon mechanic by themselves. Was a bit odd.

Uthred

I feel exactly the same way. Main problem for me also is that the casts don't really have any visual oomph at all. There's no fun payoff after sitting there waiting the entire time.

Have to say I feel the same about the Esper, got to around 20 and Im just not feeling it. Might give Spellslinger a go as I generally prefer ranged DPS (though the Warriors big ass sword does tempt me)

Not sure how, it has been pretty absent and boring so far.

Yeah the "story" such as it is has been basically non-existent so far, personally Im a big fan of the narrative in MMO's and Im finding it hard to get into the game without one. For all the comparisons to vanilla WoW it certainly comes no where close on a story front.

TheYanger

For story, just pay attention to both zone/regional, and world story stuff. The MAIN story starts in the 30s. But there are lots of hints towards it lower, again, labelled World Story in your quests.

Tankshell

Is it just me, or does this game have the best damn grass in any game ever? I keep admiring how lush and thick it is, and it even reacts and sways as your character/npcs/mobs run through it.

Just reached the Gallow/Gallow Fields area near the start of the Exiles game, level 9.

Now, if only they would add some form of refraction/displacement to the water shaders (so that the ground underneath it looks to distort, like you get in most games these days), it would look mind blowing.

Amazing, loving the game so far.

Guess the realm transfer worked. Widow is now Medium population.

Kinda wish i could transfer from Widow to Myrcalus, never going to be able to defend myself with 300ms.

TheContact

I wasn't about this game when first hearing about it but it looks fun. Would current players say it has a lasting appeal? my problem with MMOS that aren't Wow is that i play them for a month then get bored

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Gonna add the mumble details to the EU-Zhur Guild info later today, I don't remember if "officer" positions can alter the details. :D

For those re-rolling, if you want boosts/help just let me know, I'm more than willing to help out.

Hixx

My deluxe edition came in the post today - only got it because it was cheaper than digital version of the regular edition
wtzgU.gif
. Not really sure how they thought there's an additional £15 worth of content in it, mind.

Dunlop

Aside from my awkwardness of having never healed on a medic,I loved the difficult.

I was getting stress just on trash pulls lol

Top Bottom