• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Shahadan

Got my friend codes in a e-mail, check yours.

A few friends asked me for one so I'll see with them. If I have one to spare (probably) I'll give it here later :D

Is anyone else finding the quest tracking/map a bit confusing. When the quests are numbered in the map screen, the numbers are different from the quest list when in-game. Also if you want to read the description of a question you can't do it when you're looking at the map, meaning you have to keep switching between interfaces.

Totakeke

If anyone have an extra guest pass I definitely would appreciate getting one.

I want to try out the latency since I'm oceanic.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So it seems the huge memory leak is tied to the use of Bijiplates, but there's a fix for it.

What's happening is the nameplates are being created but not being destroyed hence the leak.

So to fix, open up bijiplates.lua and find the line called

-- Add the Gibb check

Underneath that, replace the line with

if tNameplate.bGibbed then bShowNameplate = false; tNameplate=nil; end

Tried this, just made biji shit itself and throw some errors, eventually killing the addon and making nameplates not respond.

Darkone

I can give away the friend codes if anyone need one.
PM me.

Started the game with a Exil Warrior & Spellslinger.
Got to level 3 with each one, will level them both to 10 and then decide.

So it seems the huge memory leak is tied to the use of Bijiplates, but there's a fix for it.

What's happening is the nameplates are being created but not being destroyed hence the leak.

-- Add the Gibb check

I don't use Bijiplates and there is still a huge memory leak.

I have 16GB of ram and after several hours of play, windows said Wild Star was using 3GB but also that 50% of my ram was being consumed and Wild Star was the only heavy program I had open. The usage dropped considerably after I closed Wild Star.

Just hit 15. Little bit lost on what I am meant to be doing now. One quest I have wants me to go to Ilium but I am not quite sure how to get there. My other quest I am pretty sure is for the Adventure that you unlock but again not really sure where to go.

Gotta figure out how to get my mount when I jump back on tomorrow too.

StMeph

Is anyone else finding the quest tracking/map a bit confusing. When the quests are numbered in the map screen, the numbers are different from the quest list when in-game. Also if you want to read the description of a question you can't do it when you're looking at the map, meaning you have to keep switching between interfaces.

The Quest numbering does seem to be buggy, especially after you complete some of them and clear it off the list.

Just hit 15. Little bit lost on what I am meant to be doing now. One quest I have wants me to go to Ilium but I am not quite sure how to get there. My other quest I am pretty sure is for the Adventure that you unlock but again not really sure where to go.

Gotta figure out how to get my mount when I jump back on tomorrow too.

Just hit 15 myself, so I can't add much on what to do next, but the game keeps pushing you to go to Hycrest; there's just no specific breadcrumb quest to point you that way. Once you take a taxi to Ilium, you can exit the NE side to get to Hycrest.

For mounts, just buy one from the vendor at Ilium. No specific training necessary, it seems, and no racial restrictions on any of the mount types initially available.

I remember people saying the cost is 10g, but the cost was actually 10.7g. I had barely more than 11g, so I was only able to just afford it.

Teggy

Just hit 15 myself, so I can't add much on what to do next, but the game keeps pushing you to go to Hycrest; there's just no specific breadcrumb quest to point you that way. Once you take a taxi to Ilium, you can exit the NE side to get to Hycrest.

When you report in during the last zone quest, there's an NPC there who has a quest to meet someone on the Hycrest taxi stand. Don't know if you didn't pick that one up.

Playing as a scientist esper, in the beta went with Artemis Zin, went with Mondo Zax this time, slightly regret it as it's a bit less fun for me, but oh well. I assume the game world opens up to me allowing me to choose my routes a bit more right?

Shaldome

The quest numbering changes depending on distance (default configuration) as far as I can remember. You can change the behavior in one of the setting. Don't know exactly where I found it and I am at work right now.

Somnia

Regarding the memory leak. It happens without bijiplates, its the overall UI I think. Just do /reloadui when you notice performance taking a hit and it fixes it self. Its odd this fixes it, but trust me it works.

timkunedo

I play a healer, but my gameplay is much more involved. I'm trying to manage how exactly to spend my psi points. I'll set up a bit of sustain healing with Enlightenment, use Mind Over Body in order to fill heal, and spend my psi points with my big AoE heal (blanking on name) or a big single person heal with Healing Banner (i think is the name?), and i have a few utility abilities as well which i'll use as needed. So for me the playstyle is very active and dynamic, as i'm having to adapt to the situation at hand. I don't always have the time to build up 5 points to give a massive heal to everyone in the party, and instead just burn 2 of them on Healing Banner to keep the tank alive.

Tharp, How are you playing while Soloing or are you always in a group?

Ferny

So how are Engineers for tanking? Of the melee classes, which is the most fun solo?
Engineers are great tanks from everything I've heard.

I played Warrior to 15 in Live and about 18 in beta. I really liked them. They can solo pretty well as well.

M.Steiner

Has everyone received their guest passes now or are they going out in waves throughout the day?. I've yet to receive mine that's all.

Mastamind

So how are Engineers for tanking? Of the melee classes, which is the most fun solo?

They are fine, between me and my bot, I usually only die when my pet bugs out, I get hit by a telegraph I shouldnt, or the healer runs out of focus. Oh and I started soloing as tank spec around lvl 15 because I got tired of carrying an extra set and swapping to that gear. My single target damage is terrible, but i kill groups of mobs at a time and solo rares/group quests with no real problem.

Good tips. Have any build advice for Stalkers for 15-20?

For AMPs I went brutality, lifesteal, cd reduction, crit chance, and now I'm into max shield capacity. Crit severity is the old Lethality talent from rogues and thusly just as insignificant. Tier 2 AMPs are a bit questionable at the moment, the only good ones I've seen are from the PVP vendor and I haven't done any PVP as I've heard it's slower than questing. So I can't tell you much about the tier 2 AMPs and can't recommend them.

For skills you want shred and download an addon called ActionControls. What it does is let left mouse to cast shred and right mouse button to dodge. Making this a third person action game and infinitely more intuitive. You'll need a mouse look button and sometimes interacting with objects is slightly quirky but it's worth it.

Your remaining skills, are pounce, Cripple, Neutralize, Stagger, Punish and Razor Disc. You then throw the disc, pounce, and Neutralize till the end of your energy, punish and then finish up with Cripple. Not the most efficient use of energy, but effective. If you wanted to be efficient then you disc, neutralize twice, cripple 3 times, neutralize till the end of your energy, punish, disc, then cripple or stealth then neutralize if the buff has fallen off. Far easier to just spam neutralize though, I admit.

Also a tip for everyone DO world bosses, the doom flower in the second zone in particular gives up 31k xp which is an enormous amount. You probably won't get loot(I've done it twice with no loot and top dps), but that doesn't matter, the xp is more than worth it. Just don't wait too long. Switch to lethal stance for it and drop pounce for impale.

About to hit 10 but all the tradeskills look pretty useless. Like, only bad weapons or armor can be crafted so there is really no point to it essentially at level 50

At first I thought this same thing, I grabbed the two professions and didn't give it much thought. But after level 20 you don't get many weapons, and the ones from challenges I never win because my luck is horrible. I also haven't done the dungeons. So I actually started leveling weaponsmith and for about 4 gold I had weapons for level 21, 23, and 25. Took about 30 minutes. All the supplies I needed I already had except low fluxes which were 5 silver each from the vendor. After you get your mount, if you get the free hoverboard at 25, you don't really need the money so just salvage everything that yields drops for your profession. So for me I salvage all weapons, and Vendor everything else. My second profession is mining and a tip is that your map will show you the nearest node if there's one around.

Overall I'm having a great time.

Shahadan

I tried Hycrest Insurrection, ended up with a guild group from Ravenous. They obviously knew what to do because they were fast as shit. It was my first time, I didn't understand anything of what we were doing or why. Couldn't see shit during combat. Didn't loot shit except for a portrait for my house.
I don't want to do it again :lol:

Tharp, How are you playing while Soloing or are you always in a group?

For soloing i have a bit of a strange build. I run Psychic Frenzy, Crush, Restraint, Geist, Telekinetic Storm, Blade Dance, and Mind Over Body. I just grab a handful of mobs and go to town with AoE, and heal myself if i get low.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I tried Hycrest Insurrection, ended up with a guild group from Ravenous. They obviously knew what to do because they were fast as shit. It was my first time, I didn't understand anything of what we were doing or why. Couldn't see shit during combat. Didn't loot shit except for a portrait for my house.
I don't want to do it again :lol:

I had a pretty fun time when I did it with a PuG, but I think that was because we didn't really know what we were doing and had to work really hard to get past some of the early parts of the mission.

We eventually clicked, but there was a hiccup when I clicked rez instead of waiting for one.

Coordinating interrupts is the most difficult thing to do in pugs. Heck, we're having a hard time doing it in a prebuilt group because it's something new to the table, something we've never had to do in a mmo before. Previously you assigned one guy to interrupt duty and that was it, nobody else had to take it into account.

Also, the window to interrupt is like second or two before the interrupt armor comes back, so you need to be really good at it too :p

It's definitely something to learn and practice in dungeons and I'm glad they're introducing it early.

Never played WoW, eh? Black temple and reliquary was particularly brutal.

-- Add the Gibb check

I'll do this when I get home, I don't so much notice the memory leak as I do disappearing nameplates.

Tankshell

Is it just me, or does this game have the best damn grass in any game ever? I keep admiring how lush and thick it is, and it even reacts and sways as your character/npcs/mobs run through it.

Just reached the Gallow/Gallow Fields area near the start of the Exiles game, level 9.

Now, if only they would add some form of refraction/displacement to the water shaders (so that the ground underneath it looks to distort, like you get in most games these days), it would look mind blowing.

Amazing, loving the game so far.

Just took a pic:

xIN.png

Ferny

Yeah that's crazy. I think it looks amazing for this huge type of game. No way it looks like a 2005 version of WoW

With regards to Guest accounts, does anyone know if they can be upgraded straight away with the boxed code or do they have to wait the 7 free days first?

I get the feeling that ultimately either people will learn or quit. The dungeons are absolutely no joke and that's just the first dungeons, not to mention the later ones, or veteran modes, or the silver medal requirements to start raiding. Point is that not just any player will be able to even step foot into a 20 man raid unless they're competent. Obviously there's pros and cons here, means the people you'll be playing with won't royally fuck up all the time but it also means people might just stop playing the game all together. It's a fine line that Carbine will have to walk and I don't envy them.

Caveat: the game isn't Raid Or Die, though.

Repgnar

I'd appreciate an NA guest pass if anyone has one. Planning on buying it the June week of the 14th to play with my brother but I would really like to try it out prior to that. Are Chua's a pretty common race you guys see?

So I usually like to dive into brand new MMO's at launch especially ones that are as big and offer as much promise at Wildstar seems to be offering. I played multiple betas for it the last one being towards the end of April. Only got to the cap they had set for everyone being 20 I believe, liked what they had to offer overall.

Just was wondering if anyone could give me any good reason to dive into this right now based on a few things,

1) Is the FPS better and more optimized now that it has released? Before my Frame Rate was good around 40-50 FPS on medium or so settings, but every now and again for no good reason it would dip into 9-12 FPS.

and

2) I don't feel like giving my life to this MMO, is this game during end game friendly to people who aren't able to give every single days worth of available time to them? I just don't want to be at a disadvantage due to not being able to play non stop.

Bulzeeb

I really want to play this game but I don't have enough time so a monthly fee is out of the question, any chances of this game using a buy to play model or something in the future?

TheYanger

So I usually like to dive into brand new MMO's at launch especially ones that are as big and offer as much promise at Wildstar seems to be offering. I played multiple betas for it the last one being towards the end of April. Only got to the cap they had set for everyone being 20 I believe, liked what they had to offer overall.

Just was wondering if anyone could give me any good reason to dive into this right now based on a few things,

1) Is the FPS better and more optimized now that it has released? Before my Frame Rate was good around 40-50 FPS on medium or so settings, but every now and again for no good reason it would dip into 9-12 FPS.

and

2) I don't feel like giving my life to this MMO, is this game during end game friendly to people who aren't able to give every single days worth of available time to them? I just don't want to be at a disadvantage due to not being able to play non stop.

Performance is markedly better than even a month ago.

"Friendly" yes, if when you say you don't want to be disadvantaged you mean not able to set a schedule to raid, then no you won't have the best gear in the game. But there is other shit to do of course.

Top Bottom