• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Jag

Here's the key: Don't be obsessed with everu task. Hit a hub, -collect- everything...then follow the Zone/world/regional stories. Complete tasks/path content that intersects with that.

I messed up by not realizing this initially. Focus on World and Zone stories. Tasks are just independent quests that supplement the story lines and help you level up so you can advance to the next area. Take all the task quests. Do what you like, ignore the rest.

Now that I understand this, I like the fact that they break the quests into types so we know which ones are important.

Ferny

It took me a bit to realize that, but when I did, it made progressing through the zones a lot easier and quicker.

desverger

Here's the key: Don't be obsessed with everu task. Hit a hub, -collect- everything...then follow the Zone/world/regional stories. Complete tasks/path content that intersects with that. If you miss a task its likely not a big deal. We ignored am entire hub and at least 20+ tasks in Auroria and I'm only 1200 rep from max.

With shipyards, dungeons, even pvp you have so many ways to gain xp that thevkey is to realize you only have to do what you -want- to do. This game will probably ruin ultra completionists lives though. There is an overwhelming amount of content.

Yeah this is actually really good advice.

Another good advice I could impart is that enable holding down keys in options. Makes so much easier to just hold down 1 to autoattack.

MedIC86

Dammit im really on the fence on this game, on the one hand it looks really cool but i still have so much games to finish :(

deleted

Towelliee. I think he runs a pretty entertaining stream, and interacts with streams by talking/answering questions and playing with them in game. Last time I checked he was lvl 31 so you'd be watching him do some mid-high game content.

Playing on Warbringer, maximum I've had to weight is probably 20 minutes. Max number in the queue was like 800 and said it would take an hour and a half, but goes a lot quicker. Should be even quicker now with that hot fix to help kick inactive players.

Thanks, I'm tuning in.

Ocho

Hey guys, my buddy and I really want to try this game, but we don't want to pay $60 (or $45) for the base game without knowing if we'd like it. Anyone have two spare NA trial keys? If we like the game and purchase it, I'm willing to give back the two keys.

Hey guys, my buddy and I really want to try this game, but we don't want to pay $60 (or $45) for the base game without knowing if we'd like it. Anyone have two spare NA trial keys? If we like the game and purchase it, I'm willing to give back the two keys.

I don't think we receive the guest keys until the 3rd, unless i'm missing mine.

Whelp there is definitely some graphical craziness going on, I'm running a GTX 770 4GB model and averaging at about 45 FPS with everything high bar shadows which are off. Tweaking things really changes nothing, even putting texture quality to lowest setting gives me a measly 2 FPS.

RAM usage is crazy high as others have pointed out, so a memory leak is most likely the case there. CPU-wise WildStar is using a total of 20% of my i7 3770k, so the devs seem to have no bothered with sharing the load. What is weird as well is of my 8GB RAM, only 2.5GB is being used by WildStar, not sure if that is of any significance.

Definitely some optimisations in order, I go to about 25-30FPS when in towns, have yet to go into a capital but I'm dreading that.

Just in case you don't know already, but on 64-bit systems Wildstar doesn't seem to launch the 64-bit .exe, it just uses the default 32-bit one. If you go into the install folder (default is C:/Program Files (x86)/NCSOFT/Wildstar) and open the Client 64 folder, the Wildstar 64 launcher is in there. Noticeable improvement in performance on my system at least.

Ferny

Just in case you don't know already, but on 64-bit systems Wildstar doesn't seem to launch the 64-bit .exe, it just uses the default 32-bit one. If you go into the install folder (default is C:/Program Files (x86)/NCSOFT/Wildstar) and open the Client 64 folder, the Wildstar 64 launcher is in there. Noticeable improvement in performance on my system at least.

Awesome tip. Did not know that

Gritesh

Wow I wonder if running it in 64bit will open up my 12gb to be used by the game, could be the bottle neck holding people back in terms of performance.

Also this game is good, reminds me of the starter days of WOW. It's nice that everyone is on equal footing again, I think that's the big thing I have against wow I played the hell out of it until wotlk and to start over just to catch back up to people feels so daunting, nice to have a new mmo to start from scratch with everyone on. The game is quirky enough that it could develop a following too

Somnia

Mine keeps saying "missing wildstar.exe" when I click it.

edit: Nevermind my wildstar.exe was named Wildstar (1).exe for some reason

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member

Oh nice - this may help me get a few frames that I'm struggling to get

Somnia

Just quickly tested it, went from 40-50 fps in illium to 50-70 fps in illium, unless I just got lucky it seems to be better. This was a quick 5 minute test cause I have to leave for work.

Tankshell

Just tested this, mine seems to launch the 64bit exe regardless of if I use the standard launcher or the one the Client64 folder, lucky me I guess.

M.Steiner

I'll give this a try later but:
WildStar.exe is our launcher, it is a 32bit program so we don't have to point users at different downloads. Also, while patching and installing we don't get a lot of benefit from 64bit so we didn't bother making the launcher in 64bit.

It's smart enough to look at your OS and download Client\WildStar32.exe if you're in a 32bit OS; or if you're on a 64bit OS it will download Client64\WildStar64.exe.

When you hit Play in the launcher it will start the appropriate client executable. So ultimately you never really have to deal with downloading the right version for your computer, we do it for you.

Because the launcher is always 32bit we always default the install to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\NCSOFT\WildStar but trust us you're running the 64bit version if your OS is 64bit.

Hope that clears up the confusion about why you do not need to run WildStar64.exe on your own.
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28533-64bit-client/?p=537082

ukas

Huh, might just be a placebo effect then, what I can definitely say is the game launched in approx 3 seconds from clicking play (Edit: on the character select screen) when manually launching the 64-bit .exe, where as on the 32-bit one it took somewhere between 15-20 seconds. Maybe it was just a blip, as I never tried again to confirm.

It shows what client you're running in the upper right on the log in screen. Mine has always been 64-bit client without running it manually.

At work and all I can think about is getting back into the game. Thankfully it's a 4-day work week and I start a long vacation at the end of it. :)

EDIT: BTW, what are everyone's characters looking like?

B00TE

0Z1kZHw.jpg
Almost level 11, happy to see there was a costume dude early on.

Some things I've noticed, may not be correct, but after 10 hours of play I'm at level 20 which isn't too bad. This is mainly for speed, I'm all for leisurely leveling, but efficiency never hurts:

While the other paths maybe more fun, Settler helps you level the fastest. Having your own buffs is immensely beneficial. Always make sure you have enough supplies to completely power a hub, just incase. If there's a vending machine, craft it, they sometimes sell blue weapons and armor for cheap.

Once you are past the initial crafting introduction missions drop all the quests that actually have you create something. Likewise either equip the item or vendor it, don't salvage.

If you want to save up for a mount pre level 15 that's fine, or you can just vendor everything after Thayd and you'll have enough by the third hub.

Always make sure you have a run speed boost from a settler's node if at all possible. Even if you have to go slightly out of your way to get it.

For Stalkers(and maybe others)Level as a tank, but use dps weapons, any ability that isn't aoe toss out. That means drop impale as soon as possible. Time spent stealthed is time spent slowed and there's no need to line up shots when you can just aoe. Pull absolutely everything and burn it down. Put your amp points into lifesteal, brutality, and cd reduction. Tanks can easily take prime/superior mobs and 2-3 person quests solo. The key to speedy leveling is knowing where to go for your quests and the most efficient way to complete those quests and to not wait for anything.

This goes with the above, but if there's a prime or superior mob in the area it probably has a quest tied to it that you will only get if you kill it.

Use pounce to travel faster, with max movement speed buff and pounce usage on a road you travel very quickly. Speaking of which I think +50% movement out of combat buff and pounce usage might be quicker than a mount, I don't know the mount speed, but it seems slow.

If you complete a challenge, cool, if not, do not repeat them.

It all seems rather obvious, and there's a few more tips, but I can't remember the ability names so I'll post them later. Hopefully, it might be helpful for someone.

Teggy

I am broke, but I have a dinosaur. Now I can get back to working on my crafting.

Am I missing something or is there not a place that lists crafting recipes you have already figured out? I seem to have to figure out which air/water/whatever additive I need every time I craft something and it's a pain to fill out the skill tree because I don't know which ones I've already figured out.

Swhalen

Played a spellslinger during the beta, and now I'm having a hard time picking my main class on release. I was awesome in PVP and all but it would be great to experiment with something else.

Jag

For Stalkers(and maybe others)Level as a tank, but use dps weapons, any ability that isn't aoe toss out. That means drop impale as soon as possible. Time spent stealthed is time spent slowed and there's no need to line up shots when you can just aoe. Pull absolutely everything and burn it down. Put your amp points into lifesteal, brutality, and cd reduction. Tanks can easily take prime/superior mobs and 2-3 person quests solo. The key to speedy leveling is knowing where to go for your quests and the most efficient way to complete those quests and to not wait for anything.

Good tips. Have any build advice for Stalkers for 15-20?

I've just rerolled as an Exile on EU Zhur, any chance I can get a guild invite? Same name as my account here. I must be going mad, I somehow can't find the spreadsheet link despite knowing that I've seen it somewhere here.

Jag

I'm worried that my concerns are true about melee classes having a tougher time is true. I seem to have a tough time as stalker while I watch ranged dance and kite tough mobs.

aka_bueno

I'm worried that my concerns are true about melee classes having a tougher time is true. I seem to have a tough time as stalker while I watch ranged dance and kite tough mobs.

That's true of most MMOs. What's also true for melee (and especially Warriors, my class) is that they SCALE better with better armor than other classes. Which I'm hoping is the case here too ha :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Playing a Warrior, haven't had any issues at all so far, level 20. :)

Jag

Playing a Warrior, haven't had any issues at all so far, level 20. :)

Ok. Good to know. I've always played ranged, so melee is a bit of a change for me. I really wanted something that is survivable and good to solo tough mobs. I went with Stalker for the self-healing and stealth.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I did my first adventure, and it was really fun! I just grouped with some randoms for that simulation thing outside of Thayd (rebellion story).

I loved taking a jetpack into the air and blowing up a blimp.

Einbroch

Banned
So can anyone tell me what PvP is like in this game so far?

Fun, but have 1-2 dedicated healers on each side is an absolute must.

Healing seems a little too powerful, at least early on, because you simply do not run out of focus (mana). I was spam healing myself for a good 3-4 minutes and finally dropped below 30%. To be honest, it seems a little imbalanced. I don't know if this is smoothed out later, but early it's borderline broken.

That said, it's a blast. Seeing someone try to get off some special ability and stunning them is super satisfying. Rolling out of a huge nuke and then doing a 180 to snipe your foe is awesome. It's very Smite-like.

Keasar

So, Hazak is completely unplayable on the EU side, have Exile EU GAF switched server or is it still Hazak that we are going for?

B00TE

Fun, but have 1-2 dedicated healers on each side is an absolute must.

Healing seems a little too powerful, at least early on, because you simply do not run out of focus (mana). I was spam healing myself for a good 3-4 minutes and finally dropped below 30%. To be honest, it seems a little imbalanced. I don't know if this is smoothed out later, but early it's borderline broken.

Yeah, I haven't tried PVP since the headstart began, but during OBT healers early on were nigh unkillable sometimes unless you chain stunned them. Made great mask runners because of that. I'm sure it evens out later on, but it could get damn frustrating.

Just hit 14 and running around Thayd. Got my (rocket)house set up. Eager to get back into Galeras, I really liked that zone.

Tillbo

If anyone does/will have a spare guest key for this then I would love to give it a go. I have heard that the game is fairly demanding hardware-wise and wanted to test it out before putting money down as I didn't get a chance to try the Beta.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

arimanius

Anyone have a decent level engineer? Got mine to 15 and it's ok but nothing earth shattering fun. Trying to decide if I should hope it picks up or try a different class. Issue is I don't know what other class to try.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So are there any other Exile on Pergo? I am thinking a made the biggest mistake ever. No one from GAF to play with and stupid queue times...... gahhh...

Sadly I love the character and have about 4-6 hours on him. but I'm almost thinking I should reroll on a GAF server like Orias.

Dunlop

So are there any other Exile on Pergo? I am thinking a made the biggest mistake ever. No one from GAF to play with and stupid queue times...... gahhh...

Sadly I love the character and have about 4-6 hours on him. but I'm almost thinking I should reroll on a GAF server like Orias.

I joined an exile guild on here, they seem pretty cool

Send me a PM if you are looking for a guild (I will be online about 9pm est..queues willing) and I will ask an officer for an invite

Kanuck in game (Granok Medic)

Top Bottom