• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Hixx

Did the first Exile adventure a couple of times tonight (one with some of Neo Exile) and it's great fun.

I know it's early but I kind of wish (as an Engineer tank) I had a couple more abilities. Holding threat amounted to mashing my Volatility builder and I only really used an actual damage ability (no +threat attacks yet apart from the builder) when I had a lot of excess Volatility to dump.

Also they really need to work on the bots. Absolutely useless, they just stop following you eventually, or get stuck on like a... tea cup or some shit.

Einbroch

Banned
I don't know how many times I can tell people to interrupt until they finally listen.

I've told this group six times. I'm the only one doing it. :(

JLeack

Banned
Anyone have a guild on Widow Dominion that I can join? I have 12 years MMO experience including FFXI, WoW (top raiding progression guild), EVE Online, Guild Wars 2, and others.

I saw Acolytes in the OT but it requires a ridiculous application process. I'm hoping for something more reasonable.

Somnia

Anyone have a guild on Widow Dominion that I can join? I have 12 years MMO experience including FFXI, WoW (top raiding progression guild), EVE Online, Guild Wars 2, and others.

I saw Acolytes in the OT but it requires a ridiculous application process. I'm hoping for something more reasonable.

Ridiculous?

You fill out a quick application and then the "interview" is just a meet and greet. There is no insane requirement to join us. We are very much a mix of casual and hardcore players with no crazy requirements to play with us.

This should all make sense coming from a top progression raiding guild history.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Hello,
I'm an old player of wow everquest 1 and 2 and always enjoyed MMO, if someone have a trial key that would be really nice, i want to try it, before purchase it.
Thank you.

JLeack

Banned
Ridiculous?

You fill out a quick application and then the "interview" is just a meet and greet. There is no insane requirement to join us. We are very much a mix of casual and hardcore players with no crazy requirements to play with us.

This should all make sense coming from a top progression raiding guild history.

Sorry if it seems like I was being rude. I just meant that it was too much of a process for me personally. I'm sure you guys are awesome!

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
What professions are like Enchanting and Jewelcrafting(wow)? I don't mean exactly. What I've learned from making gold in Wow is that the most profitable professions are the ones where what you sell gets used up and needs to be replaced. For example jewelcrafting. Gems get socketed in gear but as soon as you get a new piece of gear you need to buy a new gem even if it's the same exact gem you already had. Are there professions like this in Wildstar?

Also do the weaponsmith and armorer professions(etc) create PVP weapons and gear? Usually those are the most profitable items you can make and actually hope to sell.

Sorry if it seems like I was being rude. I just meant that it was too much of a process for me personally. I'm sure you guys are awesome!

It seriously takes 3 minutes to fill out, guy. Most likely less of a time investment than the amount of time it took to watch a youtube video of a particular boss fight while progressing with your raiding guild.

Hell, I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm am (was) a semi-hardcore WoW player who could be considered casual since i've gone through 4 guild in the last 2 years, all that have fallen apart.

I've played two beta's of WIldstar and it was sorta hit and miss for me though several of my co-workers are enjoying it and from what I've seen from the raiding community it has the making of something worth while.

Still i'm a little hesitant after getting burnt on several MMO's and ended up going back to WoW. For those that are playing it, what do you think? I don't want to know if it's a WoW killer nor do I care. All I want to know is; Is it Fun? Do you really need to group and play socially (I hope so).

I would love to try it and seeing how WoD is at least 5 months away my interest is peaked.

Dunlop

Just got my passes so it seems to be staggered

Still long queue on pergo but the time seems to be accurate (i.e does not say 42 hours)

Jira

Hell, I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm am (was) a semi-hardcore WoW player who could be considered casual since i've gone through 4 guild in the last 2 years, all that have fallen apart.

I've played two beta's of WIldstar and it was sorta hit and miss for me though several of my co-workers are enjoying it and from what I've seen from the raiding community it has the making of something worth while.

Still i'm a little hesitant after getting burnt on several MMO's and ended up going back to WoW. For those that are playing it, what do you think? I don't want to know if it's a WoW killer nor do I care. All I want to know is; Is it Fun? Do you really need to group and play socially (I hope so).

I would love to try it and seeing how WoD is at least 5 months away my interest is peaked.

The first 2 dungeons alone are on par with TBC Heroics in terms of kicking your ass for making a mistake and it only gets harder from there.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Going to steal this from a friend's write up, but a tad shocking for us Oceanic players:

It seems the ping display you get when hit alt+f1 isn't actually a true and accurate representation of your ingame ping. The function the UI calls to get that is really just the same thing you'd get if you did a ping from the command line to the server's IP address, its not a proper accounting of your latency with the game layers added on top. One of the addon developers had been pushing Carbine to put a function in the API that returns proper latency, and that has just happened recently in one of the patches over the past week. You can read his full version of the story here if you're interested: http://wildstaraddons.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/latency-monitor-fps-and-cooldowns-oh-my/

Hes also published a small addon that adds a little latency monitor to the bottom left of the screen that uses this new API call and returns the proper game latency: http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220710-latency-monitor

Was rather shocking, the alt+f1 ping for me has always sat steady at about 225 - 230ms for me, but I'll admit at times, it did feel like more. The actual latency though reported by this new API method, is 400ms, which is well into the realm of what I'd consider problematic. I tried out some of those game tunnelling tools like Lowerping and Pingzapper and Battleping though and they all lowered it back down to 230 - 240ms, and I could definitely feel a difference. All of those ones I mentioned have Dallas servers you can tunnel into and the Wildstar servers are in Dallas, so thats probably as good as it gets, but I figured it was worth pointing out because other people could be sitting there playing on a 400ms ping as well and not even know it.

Dunlop

Anyone have a good keybind layout?

I only have a logitech g500.

From my wow days I am used to mice binds (ctr + button 1, alt + button 1.....) due to the crapton of abilities on my Priest and in conjunction with grid.

I configured it the same way here but its happened a few times where the game get's "stuck" and I have to do a manual click on another spell to unlock it...this always happens when the shit hits the fan

I will attempt to re-educate my muscle memory...but there are so many different layouts but I can't find anything WildStar specific

Won

What professions are like Enchanting and Jewelcrafting(wow)? I don't mean exactly. What I've learned from making gold in Wow is that the most profitable professions are the ones where what you sell gets used up and needs to be replaced. For example jewelcrafting. Gems get socketed in gear but as soon as you get a new piece of gear you need to buy a new gem even if it's the same exact gem you already had. Are there professions like this in Wildstar?

Also do the weaponsmith and armorer professions(etc) create PVP weapons and gear? Usually those are the most profitable items you can make and actually hope to sell.

There is runecrafting, but that doesn't take up a tradekill slot and as such can be done by everyone.

Throwing my hat into the Guest Pass list.

NA Trial/Friend Code List:

jdavid459
Fletcher
AnimeFantasy
Ri'Orius
Firehead
Jolkien
Roy G. Biv
HarryDemeanor

Watching Twitch streams is making me want to play now.

Salamando

Making money on the commodities trader is so good.

How profitable are we talking?

My current method of making extra G involves farming certain challenges. Found two close to each other that are easy to gold-rank and both drop fabkits worth 1.2 g each.

Jira

My current method of making extra G involves farming certain challenges. Found two close to each other that are easy to gold-rank and both drop fabkits worth 1.2 g each.

I have over 40g at 22, a lot of which was from selling crap on the market early on.

Salamando

I have over 40g at 22, a lot of which was from selling crap on the market early on.

Just from selling tradeskill stuff you farm? Or something else?

My current method ain't perfect, but I was able to hit 15 with all my skills learned, enough money for a mount, and a few amps.

No idea what a fabkit is but they vendor for 1.2G? I always choose crafting bag or whatever

Teggy

Making money on the commodities trader is so good.

It would be a lot better if people would figure out you're not supposed to put stuff on the trader for less than you can vendor it for. They probably just automatically try to beat the lowest person. In reality they are losing a good amount of money with fees.

Going to steal this from a friend's write up, but a tad shocking for us Oceanic players:

Going to check this out when I get home. Mine according to the usual Alt+F1 method is 280 so from what you posted I am guessing around 430-450 in reality : /

I did try Battleping to lower it but I couldnt get any lower then 260. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Will also check out the other ones you listed.

Tokubetsu

So I'm leveling a warrior alt but i can't seem to find the hologram I'm supposed to kill for my soldier path quest? Embarassing I haven't even left the tutorial yet.

patchday

Ouch this looks like a traditional Class based MMO. Could be really fun still but I would miss the open ended leveling system in EVE Online too much here.

Will keep an eye on it still though

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
So I'm leveling a warrior alt but i can't seem to find the hologram I'm supposed to kill for my soldier path quest? Embarassing I haven't even left the tutorial yet.

Actually, it's a waypoint-type thing that you click on to begin a holdout. It's by the place where you drop off the veggies.

You can click path quests for the directional arrow like you do with missions.

Edit: Actually, I forget what the very first one is. Just click the name.

Jira

Just from selling tradeskill stuff you farm? Or something else?

My current method ain't perfect, but I was able to hit 15 with all my skills learned, enough money for a mount, and a few amps.

Just selling gathering mats and amps really well dropped mats too.

Alur

My guest passes just came through a few minutes ago. That wasn't so bad.

Have there been any wait times for server transfers?

Tekniqs

May I have a guess pass for NA Gaf? would like to give the game a try before I decide to take the plunge back into MMOs.

The first 2 dungeons alone are on par with TBC Heroics in terms of kicking your ass for making a mistake and it only gets harder from there.

Sold! I loved those days. Looks like I'm canceling wow for a bit to focus on WildStar. Anyone need an extra body ;)

Tekniqs

thanks for the guess pass! gonna DL now

edit: I must be stupid, but how to dl the game client without paying? need to try it out lol

double edit: digged into their forums and got it!

Guesong

I feel like we're all playing a game of chicken.

Who will fold and transfer to Rowsdower first? Me, or the rest of Widow?

JLeack

Banned
I feel like we're all playing a game of chicken.

Who will fold and transfer to Rowsdower first? Me, or the rest of Widow?

I'm considering it. I like having an active community but waiting an hour and 20 minutes each night to play is a huge bummer.

Just wanted to say that the game, while flawed, like every other entity in existence, is fucking fantastic. Loving it. Hope it takes way off.

Is there a GAF circle for EU Exile on Ascendancy? If so, please add me: DontTazeMeBro (main)/questionmark

Jarnet87

Just tried Stormtalon's Lair for the first time, we got our asses handed to us lol. Most of us were 17-18. First pack with the Shaman and Sentinel wiped us 5-6 times easily. Me and a buddy are gonna retry it again in another level or two.

How does the armor count work. if a mob has for example a 1, you first have to clear his armor with a -1 armor reduction move before a stun can go effective?

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Still looking for a guest key , game is downloaded send pm if you have one
Thank you

Got one, thank you Petite Feet :)

Top Bottom