• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

gogosox82

NA Trial/Friend Code List:

jdavid459
Fletcher
AnimeFantasy
Ri'Orius
Firehead
Jolkien
Roy G. Biv
HarryDemeanor
LogicalFallacy
Foaloal
th4tguy
WonkyPanda
gogosox82

Later people who want to be on the list, please copy/paste the list in its entirety (including these rules) and add yourself to the end. Our heroic and handsome code-givers, please also copy/paste the list with strike tags to indicate those to whom you generously gave your codes.

Game looks interesting but would like to try it out first.

Virdix

I wont be on till tomorrow but hoping to get an invite to the GAF Dominion guild on Widow. Im a lvl 9 spellslinger "Virdix".

Ferny

Thing is that people are used to not having to worry about standing in shit in their first dungeon, the healer will always save their ass, or the tank will just pick everything up. A SINGLE mob in these dungeons can wipe your group, a single telegraph can nearly one shot you, a tank takes so much damage that the healer cannot afford to keep everyone else alive too. Then you factor in 3 different types of healers and needing the DPS to actually DO something besides stroke their meters (interrupts) and it's pretty dam difficult. Now it's entirely possible to do with pugs as I have done it before, however, if they're not willing to listen to anything then they won't get past normal dungeons, if even then. You cannot rage quit dungeons in this game after a single wipe cause this isn't even remotely close to leveling dungeons in other games.

Ok, but nothing you just said sounds like a bad thing to me. Basically what you're saying is 'The game just came out, it's different in certain ways and will take a good amount of people to get used to the mechanics' all those things will become easier for people to do. Expecting to just jump into a dungeon at 20 and destroy it should not be the mindset of someone who plans to succeed in this game. There will be wipes and they should be expected in a game like this.

I'm not happy with the Engineer so far. I'm only level four but this first bot is useless. Not only does it not help at all in combat but it got stuck at some point as I was making my way to where I needed to be. I was constantly going in and out of combat and I could see from its life bar that it was fighting but it'd never die. Is there a way to destroy or summon bots?

If you click on the Bots' health under your Character Panel it should bring up the Bots' target panel with a red "x". Just click that and the bot will despawn.

That being said, the "Stop" button on the Bot control panel became my best friend, I press that thing every so often and it resets the Bot to me. But yeah, at the moment Bots are kind of useless, especially in PvP.

Ok, but nothing you just said sounds like a bad thing to me. Basically what you're saying is 'The game just came out, it's different in certain ways and will take a good amount of people to get used to the mechanics' all those things will become easier for people to do. Expecting to just jump into a dungeon at 20 and destroy it should not be the mindset of someone who plans to succeed in this game. There will be wipes and they should be expected in a game like this.

Oh, he's not saying it's bad. I totally agree. I've have a lot of fun just trying to succeed, but I'm also not an instant gratification need an Oompa Loompa now kind of player. I enjoy trying to figure out fights, learn what isn't going right and where I can improve, and helping others do the same. I've done both the starter dungeons and honestly those six main boss fights are some of the most fun I've had in a MMO in a very long time. Did they take us a lot of time? Yes. Did we wipe a whole fucking lot? Yes. Did I actually get excited and feel some accomplishment when we won? Abso-fucking-lutely. It gives me the same feeling that a game like Monster Hunter does, and I love that feeling.

Kalnos

Banned
Completed both level 20 dungeons. Vanilla WoW was much easier than this game in 5 mans, not that i'm complaining... it was a ton of fun.

Jira

Oh I'm not saying it's bad at all, I love the dungeons. What I don't love is people flat out not listening to what anyone says and then ragequitting instantly cause the game isn't easy.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Oh I'm not saying it's bad at all, I love the dungeons. What I don't love is people flat out not listening to what anyone says and then ragequitting instantly cause the game isn't easy.

Where are my free epics Carbine? I deserve them.

Thinking about re rolling Engi from SS. I'd like to play Warrior but with 280ms(In game, so probably like 400ms latency according to an earlier post) a melee class is pretty much a no go.

Storm Talon is bundles of fun when pugging. Haven't downed the first boss yet. Nice thing about the transition between second phase and third phase is the healer keeps gaining threat versus the boss while you can't, and as soon as the transition happens the boss insta gibs the healer because you can't taunt because of disarm and your weapon is randomly in the arena for you to find. Not even vanilla wow was as ludicrous as this.

I have never had the transition from the 2nd to the 3rd phase lead to a wipe as far as I can remember. But if it really is such a problem, use Emergency Reserves. Interrupt armor is not exclusively for mobs.

Rizzi

jdavid459
Fletcher
AnimeFantasy
Ri'Orius
Firehead
Jolkien
Roy G. Biv
HarryDemeanor
LogicalFallacy
Foaloal
th4tguy
WonkyPanda
gogosox82
Later people who want to be on the list, please copy/paste the list in its entirety (including these rules) and add yourself to the end. Our heroic and handsome code-givers, please also copy/paste the list with strike tags to indicate those to whom you generously gave your codes.

Sent three off.

gillty

Banned

jdavid459
Fletcher
AnimeFantasy

Ri'Orius
Firehead
Jolkien
Roy G. Biv
HarryDemeanor
LogicalFallacy
Foaloal
th4tguy
WonkyPanda
gogosox82
Valru

⇒ Been out of the MMO game for a bit, would be nice to try this one out, thanks!

Tokubetsu

Along with addons now crashing everynow and then when I go to look at my skills or something, the game also refuses to close properly. I hit exit game, leave now and it just hangs. I have to tab out, kills processes (Which says "Not Responding").

The addon error is always something to the effect of "So and so addon.xml took longer than 2500 ms to load blah blah sorry bro"

Hmm, anyone else getting disconnects? Not sure if its due to switching onto pingzapper or just WildStar being WildStar.

Can't help with your question but have one myself about Pingzapper. When choosing the server should I be choosing something that gives me a low ping or choosing something close to the actual wildstar servers?

EDIT: I chose Singapore which in the app listed at 150ms. In-game it showed me with 1ms. Don't think that worked properly.

Shahadan

So what are the Guest restrictions exactly? Aside from chat I haven't found info.
Can they have their own house? Is there a level cap? Can they do Adventures/dungeons?

T.O.P

Banned
Does anyone have a pass for give away?

I really want to try and see if my rig can handle the game after some shitty results in closed beta

Ourobolus

Banned
I just now decided to watch some videos for this. I haven't played an MMO since Guild Wars 1, and this looks amazingly fun (kinda annoyed there's a subscription, but whatever).

jdavid459
Fletcher
AnimeFantasy

Ri'Orius
Firehead
Jolkien
Roy G. Biv
HarryDemeanor
LogicalFallacy
Foaloal
th4tguy
WonkyPanda
gogosox82
Valru
Ourobolus

Jarnet87

I'm loving Medic but it is really tough to heal alone. I'm having to try and position myself right in the middle of a fight so that I can try and hit everyone, but a lot of people still jump around like lunatics and get out of healing range, especially when mobs cast abilities.

Mr. Hyde

jdavid459
Fletcher
AnimeFantasy
Ri'Orius
Firehead
Jolkien
Roy G. Biv
HarryDemeanor
LogicalFallacy
Foaloal
th4tguy
WonkyPanda
gogosox82
Valru
Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm loving Medic but it is really tough to heal alone. I'm having to try and position myself right in the middle of a fight so that I can try and hit everyone, but a lot of people still jump around like lunatics and get out of healing range, especially when mobs cast abilities.

I'm leaning Chua Medic, actually. Looks fun.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Can't help with your question but have one myself about Pingzapper. When choosing the server should I be choosing something that gives me a low ping or choosing something close to the actual wildstar servers?

EDIT: I chose Singapore which in the app listed at 150ms. In-game it showed me with 1ms. Don't think that worked properly.

I figured out my problem, I was choosing servers closest to Carbine and it was fritzing out. Just chose the closest lowest ping and everything is smooth sailing now with 230ms average, can actually dodge queues now yay!

Jag

i-NLqbkJq-1050x10000.jpg

Teggy

If you click on the Bots' health under your Character Panel it should bring up the Bots' target panel with a red "x". Just click that and the bot will despawn.

That being said, the "Stop" button on the Bot control panel became my best friend, I press that thing every so often and it resets the Bot to me. But yeah, at the moment Bots are kind of useless, especially in PvP.

I don't really have a problem with the bots. The bruiserbot taunt is very helpful as an opener. Yeah, you do have to babysit them, but I have gotten used to switching them to passive at times and using the stop button like you said.

Bruiserbot is really useful for explorers actually. They have a habit of sticking explorer items/points right underneath primes or even more powerful mobs. Sic the bruiserbot on them and that gives you the needed time to get in there, do your thing and get out.

I have hit a bug where I have spawned two bruiserbots at the same time a few times.

Billen

Banned
I just completely lost interest after having seen combat videos. Not even "actively uninterested", it just disappeared from my radar. Haven't even activated beta, which is something that rarely happens. Anyone else that just felt Wildstar fade from interest like this?

ValfarHL

I just completely lost interest after having seen combat videos. Not even "actively uninterested", it just disappeared from my radar. Haven't even activated beta, which is something that rarely happens. Anyone else that just felt Wildstar fade from interest like this?

You could try to explain what you didn't like?

Ourobolus

Banned
Quick question:

So combat still seems it operates based on "ticks," but the telegraphing allows you to completely dodge attacks? So in theory (though probably not in practice), you could go into battle and never actually take damage?

Einbroch

Banned

I don't think you're going to find many people like that 2000 posts into an official thread.

Also, why don't you like what you've seen?

Quick question:

So combat still seems it operates based on "ticks," but the telegraphing allows you to completely dodge attacks? So in theory (though probably not in practice), you could go into battle and never actually take damage?

Enemies auto attack. This damage is unavoidable, however, the damage is not nearly as devastating as the telegraph attacks. Also, it's in the OP. :p

Bombless

Quick question:

Npcs still have some attacks that are not telegraphed and are more or less unavoidable unless you're way out of range (you could call it an autoattack).

Tankshell

Before I played the game, I had doubts about the combat... although having now put in about 10 hours with my human warrior build, I think it works quite well. Sound effects are good, it really sounds like I am smashing a huge sword in somebodies face.

Ourobolus

Banned
Enemies auto attack. This damage is unavoidable, however, the damage is not nearly as devastating as the telegraph attacks. Also, it's in the OP. :p

Ah, ok. So the enemies' attacks are divided into two types then.

As for the OP, I wasn't quite sure what "auto-attack" meant in this context.

desverger

The Hold To Cast option is great. It totally changes the feel of melee for me. Love it.

Definitely a gamechanger for me. WS went from okay to goddamn awesome with Hold to Cast. Especially on Warrior!

It's hard to explain the difference but with the emphasis being on movement here, spamming keys just doesn't mesh well with that. But it's easy to hold down 1 as an "autoattack" and keep moving at the same time.

I'm going to start playing this weekend, and was wondering if anyone has tried driver-level downsampling and/or supersampling. I see that there used to be an option in the UI called render target scale that when set to anything over 1 was essentially downsampling, but it looks like that setting was moved to the user.ini file. I tried setting it there, but every time I booted the game the .ini file would reset so I'm not sure what's up.

Top Bottom