• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

TheYanger

War of the Wilds

Shortened up the timing of strategy objective population.
The "Don't Die" strategy objective will now automatically complete and grant credit if the Giant Moodie Totem is destroyed while it is active.
Strategy objectives that require players to kill champions still require at least one player tagger, but no longer require a player to score the killing blow.
The strategy objective that requires players to kill a boss has had its timer lengthened and will no longer populate as the second strategy objective.
Players will no longer receive a strategy objective requiring them to take control points as a second strategy objective.
The strategy objective that requires players to kill moodies no longer require players to score the killing blow.

NOW I'll go back and do gold again anytime happily.

I apologize if this is poor etiquitte, but I wanted to ask anyways. I am interested in giving the game a shot.

Does anyone have an extra guest pass they could PM me? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edit: I got one! Thanks so much :D!

Ourobolus

Banned
Hopefully this game is still going strong in a month. I finished my guest pass and it was a pretty good amount of fun. The World Cup and a trip later this month are going to eat the rest of my June, so I think I'll go ahead and start WildStar back up mid-July.

Did anyone end up making a NeoGAF circle? I'd like to get some 5 man veteran dungeon runs going. The adventure format is fun enough on normal, but i really don't enjoy doing them on veteran. I'd rather do dungeons even if i end up struggling to heal them with my current gear.

eznark

Banned
Is there ever any way to change your characters appearance? I don't mean like cosmetics and stuff, I mean like ears, fur color, etc. The basic stuff you choose when you create a character. When I created mine it was like 4:45 am before I could get through the servers and I missed the customization part so I just had a generic rat dude.

Is there ever any way to change your characters appearance? I don't mean like cosmetics and stuff, I mean like ears, fur color, etc. The basic stuff you choose when you create a character. When I created mine it was like 4:45 am before I could get through the servers and I missed the customization part so I just had a generic rat dude.

Not that I've seen and they need it bad. I regret my hair choice...

Housing is so fun. Game really needed it as the leveling in this game is so mind numbing. Such long kill quests and so many of them. Is PVP viable leveling up method?

Dates! Tangible, concrete dates!

Blizzard could learn from them.

Game just came out, pretty much every MMO launches with it's first round of content already far into development and dated for release. How well they keep to dates and schedules will be seen once we are out of the launch window.

timkunedo

Started a stalker but picked the Soldier class because i hadn't played it yet. Kind of regretting it atm. Anyone enjoying the Solider Path? Are the missions varied enough where it's not just survive waves of enemies? Are the path skills nice? I really like the Settler path skills.

Leveling through pvp isn't completely viable if you intend to raid, you need to max out reputation with your entire faction during attunement.

Well this game has got me down. Speed hacking, facing the same premade 3 times in a row even when spacing out queues (and why premades vs solo in the first place in a rated system? I don't even think they're compensating by boosting a group's rating), bots, adventures bugging out, random disconnects, not receiving a loot piece I won last night in an adventure, malgrave trail being a long, boring, buggy piece of shit and an attunement chain that's absurdly long. Even my epic dye costs about 3 platinum to dye my whole gear set. I guess I'm not hardcore (want to take a second job grinding) enough to play this game. I don't think I'm going to resub for a while.

eznark

Banned
It is, but you also lose out on a good chunk of gold going 100% PVP. I would say a mix of both really helps and it's what I do. Usually about a 70/30 split with questing being the 70.

I'm catching up to you bitch! Come slum with me on some adventures tonight.

Gritesh

So I did my first dungeon at 20 last night and pretty much was turned off the game for good.

It's not that the game is bad or there isn't enough content or anything of the sort, the combat is terrible.

Trying to do a boss fight as a spellslinger is brutal, I have two choices for right clicking.

Hold down the button or mash it.
On top of the dodging that is continuously required for a constant 5 minute stretch makes this feel very cumbersome. I'm not saying it cannot be done but I honestly feel that I spent more time dodging shit than trying to deeps and having to jump all over the place while maintaining my frontal cone over top of the boss and mash my right click the whole time is a giant pain in the ass.

It probably didn't help that the group fell apart three times before disbanding but I pretty much turned the game off as soon as wen disbanded with a very strong urge to not return to the nexus

Ferny

So I did my first dungeon at 20 last night and pretty much was turned off the game for good.

It's not that the game is bad or there isn't enough content or anything of the sort, the combat is terrible.

Trying to do a boss fight as a spellslinger is brutal, I have two choices for right clicking.

On top of the dodging that is continuously required for a constant 5 minute stretch makes this feel very cumbersome. I'm not saying it cannot be done but I honestly feel that I spent more time dodging shit than trying to deeps and having to jump all over the place while maintaining my frontal cone over top of the boss and mash my right click the whole time is a giant pain in the ass.

It probably didn't help that the group fell apart three times before disbanding but I pretty much turned the game off as soon as wen disbanded with a very strong urge to not return to the nexus

I play a SS and I'm not saying I'm the best SS by any stretch of the imagination, but I haven't had a time, dungeon or PVP, where I haven't come first in DPS for my team. I love their combat. It's very mobile, but you do so much damage with the right rotation.

What server are you on? We can do cross-realm instances so wouldn't mind getting you in a group and doing some dungeons or whatever. Give it another try.

I'm catching up to you bitch! Come slum with me on some adventures tonight.
After I play phee in MLB, I'll be on to do some adventures with you bro.

Einbroch

Banned

I think it's interesting that you think having to aim a skill while dodging is a pain in the ass.

Also, SS is the most mobile and easiest class to do damage and dodge at the same time. Not to say the class is easy, it's not, but you can move and attack with ease.

Dunlop

Everything you describe is awesome to me

I greatly prefer the action healing in this game to the whack a mole on raid frames that I have been doing as a healer for the last decade

Gritesh

Maybe it's my keybinds that are fucking me.

I use asdx for movement and then qwerty 1234 for skills.

So I am moving and dodging while trying to mash w(right click ability) makes it feel cumbersome.

Like I said it's not that it cannot be done, I am concerned about how end game raiding encounters with multiple mechanics will stack of top of this type of combat.

As I said it was my first time doing a dungeon but it just didn't feel smooth to me. Also for healing I need to get into the green areas to be healed right? If you got a healer dropping those areas on top of telegraphs your not going to get healed without taking the Telegraph too right?

Also maybe my rotation is wrong but I wait for full charges on the spell bar or whatever then I pop my r ability and blow everything I drop that ability that procs on crits when I can and then basically fill in between with right clicks.

I wish the flame dot would last longer than 3 seconds or whatever constantly Re applying it is a pain in the ass every 3 seconds so I don't bother till I blow my load with all. My charges

So I am moving and dodging while trying to mash w(right click ability) makes it feel cumbersome.

Like I said it's not that it cannot be done, I am concerned about how end game raiding encounters with multiple mechanics will stack of top of this type of combat.

As I said it was my first time doing a dungeon but it just didn't feel smooth to me. Also for healing I need to get into the green areas to be healed right? If you got a healer dropping those areas on top of telegraphs your not going to get healed without taking the Telegraph too right?

I use WASD for movement and I turn with the mouse by holding down the right mouse button.

I have no problems dodging (double tap movement key to dodge helps a lot) and dpsing or healing in fights on my medic.

There are different kinds of telegraphs, not every one of them will hurt (or heal) you immediately. The ones with a line pattern through them take effect immediately, the solid ones don't do any damage until the inner shape fills up the outer shape.

To make life easier for the healer, in general you want to be between the healer and the tank because things hit hard and sometimes it can be difficult for the healer to turn around to heal a dps without the tank dropping like a rock.

It would probably help if you could group up with some GAF folks or others that won't rage quit.

I don't know about you, but people who up and leave because something isn't going well are the single most frustrating part of a game like this for me.

It just takes some practice to be able to manage movement while still using your abilities and people leaving quickly doesn't help anybody learn and get comfortable.

Dunlop

Also maybe my rotation is wrong but I wait for full charges on the spell bar or whatever then I pop my r ability and blow everything I drop that ability that procs on crits when I can and then basically fill in between with right clicks.

I wish the flame dot would last longer than 3 seconds or whatever constantly Re applying it is a pain in the ass every 3 seconds so I don't bother till I blow my load with all. My charges

I feel you, do a search for my post when I first healed the lvl 20 dungeon. It absolutely kicked my ass and we wiped a bunch of times...I was ready to reroll my class lol.

They keybindings come down to preference, and I found that I had reverted back to a "keyboard turner"

So playing Eye of the Tiger in the background I retrained myself to break my bad habits and muscle memory:p

Currently my setup is

Movement - w,a,s,d (a and d set to strafe not turn)
Actions - (buttons 3,4,5), mousewheel up,q, (alt + buttons 3,4,5, mousewheelup/down)
Inate - mousewheel down

This allows me to constantly press the right button (granted that is annoying) and do every single action I need in my combat or healing rotation so I am constantly moving outside of having to use a potion or whatever.

Everything is SO MUCH EASIER now

This setup worked for me because I was used to using mouse buttons and varients while raiding in WOW (using grid). I tried the keyboard layouts that people posted but it was just too awkward for me

TheYanger

If you don't like the mmo right click holding to mouselook (Doesn't bother me I'm used to it/prefer it) there are several mods that just make it FPS style controls where your mouselook is 'on' unless you hit a modifier to get the cursor up. There's no way around having to move AND hit buttons though, no. That's kind of core to playing these games, even 'inactive' ones like wow involve a lot of dancing around the keyboard.

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/c/4482631 Video of veteran stormtalon (just the boss, rest of the dungeon is a 5 hour long broadcast on my channel :p but mumble wasn't recording so it's kinda boring). Should give a reasonable idea of how mobile you need to be with your camera. Also apologies for nto clearing the stuck 'stun' graphic much. I hit esc when I could.

Ferny

I remember I used to keyboard turn back in WoW and then once I made the move and adjustment to mouse movement, it was like a revelatory moment. Makes such a big difference.

TheYanger

I remember I used to keyboard turn back in WoW and then once I made the move and adjustment to mouse movement, it was like a revelatory moment. Makes such a big difference.

Yeah I suppose that does sound like a keyboard turny type issue. Basically, MMOs need to be played like an FPS/TPS in regards to control, you really need to be basically circle strafing the boss the entire time, barring specific reasons not to (need to run another direction, or whatever and can't hit them anyway).

If you don't like the mmo right click holding to mouselook (Doesn't bother me I'm used to it/prefer it) there are several mods that just make it FPS style controls where your mouselook is 'on' unless you hit a modifier to get the cursor up. There's no way around having to move AND hit buttons though, no. That's kind of core to playing these games, even 'inactive' ones like wow involve a lot of dancing around the keyboard.

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/c/4482631 Video of veteran stormtalon (just the boss, rest of the dungeon is a 5 hour long broadcast on my channel :p but mumble wasn't recording so it's kinda boring). Should give a reasonable idea of how mobile you need to be with your camera. Also apologies for nto clearing the stuck 'stun' graphic much. I hit esc when I could.

Yeah i've gotten used to mouse looking. I sometimes struggle to hit some of my hotkeys (namely my keyboard size can make 6/7/8 a bit awkward) but i make due.

I've not been able to find an answer. Does anyone know roughly how much support power a healer should have before doing veteran dungeons?

Einbroch

Banned
I've not been able to find an answer. Does anyone know roughly how much support power a healer should have before doing veteran dungeons?

1800+ is a minimum, but this varies depends on how good your group is or how geared they are. At 2000+, it should be pretty easy no matter the group (as long as they're not awful).

TheYanger

Yeah i've gotten used to mouse looking. I sometimes struggle to hit some of my hotkeys (namely my keyboard size can make 6/7/8 a bit awkward) but i make due.

678 are honestly not really viable keybinds for this game. Even in wow where you can move LESS, it's a real struggle to go past like 6 in the heat of things for me and I've got some big hands. I highly recommend toying with just having different binds in general.

Something I do that lets you double up on keybinds, is I have shift, alt, and roll bound to my mouse thumb buttons. So I have 1-4, alt 1-4, and then shift is sprint and roll is . (but I just have it bound to a g600 key so it doesn't matter what it is). Really any modifier on a mouse thumb button will help a ton, being able to go 1-4 and not have to go farther, only takes a small bit of getting used to. I mean, for reference my wow keybinds were like `-6, alt `-6, shift `-6, F1-F5, it's a LOT, but it's all very accessible while still using WASD.

If you don't mind spending actual money either, I use a G13 and highly recommend them. My WSAD is effectively on an analog stick (it's digital but close enough) that I just control with my thumb.

aka_bueno

I can't do number keys, ever. So I always make sure I have a mouse that has at least 3 or 4 thumb buttons, makes it so much better.

Also, if you turn with mouse then change the turn keys (A+D) into strafe keys, and rebind the default strafe keys (Q+E) into whatever you want.

Another thing you can do is rebind Vacuum Loot into something else (I have it as Alt+middle mouse button) and that frees up V for me to use as the dodge key (instead of double tap). Guild Wars 2 used V to dodge, so it's kinda muscle memoried into my hand hah.

678 are honestly not really viable keybinds for this game. Even in wow where you can move LESS, it's a real struggle to go past like 6 in the heat of things for me and I've got some big hands. I highly recommend toying with just having different binds in general.

Something I do that lets you double up on keybinds, is I have shift, alt, and roll bound to my mouse thumb buttons. So I have 1-4, alt 1-4, and then shift is sprint and roll is . (but I just have it bound to a g600 key so it doesn't matter what it is). Really any modifier on a mouse thumb button will help a ton, being able to go 1-4 and not have to go farther, only takes a small bit of getting used to. I mean, for reference my wow keybinds were like `-6, alt `-6, shift `-6, F1-F5, it's a LOT, but it's all very accessible while still using WASD.

If you don't mind spending actual money either, I use a G13 and highly recommend them. My WSAD is effectively on an analog stick (it's digital but close enough) that I just control with my thumb.

That sounds like a good way to do it. I'm user a Razer Deathadder so i have access to thumb buttons. How can i use one of them as a modifier? If i try to push mouse button 5 + number it only registers the number in the keybinding window.

Edit: Figured it out!

Alright i created a NeoGAF circle so we can try to get some cross-realm group content going. I think cross-realm whispers are a thing, if so whisper me Mortality@Orias to join, or account friend me. If someone already has a neogaf circle made let me know.

That sounds like a good way to do it. I'm user a Razer Deathadder so i have access to thumb buttons. How can i use one of them as a modifier? If i try to push mouse button 5 + number it only registers the number in the keybinding window.

Alright i created a NeoGAF circle so we can try to get some cross-realm group content going. I think cross-realm whispers are a thing, if so whisper me Mortality@Orias to join, or account friend me. If someone already has a neogaf circle made let me know.

Oh sweet, I was just about to ask about a NeoGAF circle.

I'm going to assume there aren't any others - I'll most likely be shooting you a whisper later tonight if you're around! :) I'll be Malpercio@Mikros.

aka_bueno

Are circles cross-realm?

Alrus

Right now I'm using the 1-4 keys and the F1-4 keys for my keybinds. I'll probably think of something else but for regular PvE as an engineer it works fine.

Finally decided to try the reckless dash twice into bioshell combo for engi and it's pretty fun, and it frees up a slot for some utility/support skill since I don't need Pulse Blast/Energy Auger anymore.

arimanius

Hello Stalkers!

Aodz and I wanted to take a moment to drop in and mention some of what is in the works for the Stalker. We consistently monitor the forums, and while we don’t always respond, we do keep track of certain things for future updates as you will see below.

· We have a large number of bug fixes for all classes that will be patched to live over the next few weeks.
· With WildStar’s high mobility combat, we recognize that it can be difficult to hit enemies with the small telegraph range of the Stalker. To address this we are looking at the following changes:
o We will be increasing the “from behind” area to 140 degrees up from the current 90 degrees. This should alleviate the difficulty of getting behind bonuses when your target is constantly moving.
o We will be testing range changes to the Stalker Cone Telegraphs to match those of the Warrior (7 meters up from 6 meters).
· We are currently working on adjusting underused Abilities, AMPs, and Ability Tiers for all classes to increase their use and open up more viable builds. However, these changes will not make it to live for a number of months.

As you can gather from the above, we are not planning on making any sort of drastic gameplay changes in the very near future. This is because we are allowing the meta to mature and would prefer to have sufficient data to back up any major changes. However, we are constantly thinking about the classes and your ongoing feedback is extremely valuable.

Looks like they are looking at stalkers. I would think Espers can remove any thought about them making any drastic class changes like making us more mobile too.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78423-state-of-the-stalker/?p=788298

Buy a Nostromo, it handles any and all keybinding issues. They literally disappear. Been using it since Ming from WoW talked about it years ago.

I guess I expected something different, but at 50, I'm doing the same thing that I was doing on the way up to 50. I mean two new questing zones open up and everything. Also even doing every quest doesn't get you to Beloved with your faction which was quite depressing. Not sure if I want to be a raider, but I figured I would work towards the attunement anyway and it just seems like such a slog. Then between the bugged adventures and exploiters in pvp it's just kind of frustrating. I have a frustrating job, I need my entertainment to be entertaining. I logged out a couple days ago and just haven't really had the motivation to go back.

That forum post is unfortunate. So re-roll a Warrior if you want to be melee, or wait "a number of months" for balance changes that may not even correct the issues. Can't say that makes me excited to continue on with the Stalker.

Rafterman

Banned

Get a movement addon like Steer, ActionControls, Lockdown, DeadlockExt and it becomes a whole new game. Having to hold down the right mouse button in an action MMO is just all kinds of wrong, moving with the mouse and being able to fire off abilities or dodge with the mouse buttons is where it's at.

Did veteran Stormtalon's Lair with a premade today. The Stormtalon fight on Veteran is insane. We didn't manage to complete it, but the dungeon was a blast.

docbon

Seriously, fuck these blisterbone cunts.

If they spawn within leaping range, it's almost guaranteed that they instakill a villager. The tank in my instance popped multiple interrupts the instant one of them jumped on a settler and managed to save him, but only with 59 hp left. wtf.

Looks like they are looking at stalkers. I would think Espers can remove any thought about them making any drastic class changes like making us more mobile too.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78423-state-of-the-stalker/?p=788298

Well if you want to win any 1 v 1+ check this build out;

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/282ge5/crazy_stalker_build_pvp_1v2ing_1v3ing_without/

Its not an exaggeration, 3 of us (in pvp gear) were ganked by the guy and he was literally invulnerable and still did decent damage. The amp that keeps you at 1 health seems to be bugged as well, was proccing multiple times. Didn't make that reddit post but play on that server. We ended up having to kite him and cc him in order to kill him, if we went in melee range he would just heal to full.

Everis

Banned
Thought I'd post what I do for keybinds since in most mmos I spend the better part of a day binding and re-binding until I get something I'm very comfortable with. This is especially important in WS with all the emphasis on movement and reaction times.

First and foremost I should mention I use an auto hotkey that binds my left mouse button as my 1 key, but only while holding down the right mouse button. This functions sort of similar to what the action combat addons allow you to do, but IMO maintains more of a classic mmo feel that addons like steer or lockdown take away.

1,2,3,4 - My most used/spammed abilities that are essential in damage/healing rotations. Since my 1 key is auto hotkeyed as mentioned above, I always leave my "auto attack" ability on 1.
5 - I always have 5 as my stun on every class. It's getting a little far away from WASD to be spammable, but still close enough that it's always there when I need it.
Q,R,F - These I usually bind utility, movement, or oh shit abilities to.
SHIFT-R - It's what I rebind my innate to.
E - I move my interaction key from F to E, personal preference.
C - potion, moved communicator to V.
* if you use this setup or something similar, make sure you rebind A/D as strafe rather than turn, if you don't do that you won't be able to break out of stuns properly.
* gadget ability and path ability I both have bound to buttons on my mouse.

Of course it's all about personal preference, but if you choose to use these keybinds or something similar it will minimize the amount your fingers have to travel from your movement keys and should improve your ability to play. :)

Rafterman

Banned
Thought I'd post what I do for keybinds since in most mmos I spend the better part of a day binding and re-binding until I get something I'm very comfortable with. This is especially important in WS with all the emphasis on movement and reaction times.

First and foremost I should mention I use an auto hotkey that binds my left mouse button as my 1 key, but only while holding down the right mouse button. This functions sort of similar to what the action combat addons allow you to do, but IMO maintains more of a classic mmo feel that addons like steer or lockdown take away.

1,2,3,4 - My most used/spammed abilities that are essential in damage/healing rotations. Since my 1 key is auto hotkeyed as mentioned above, I always leave my "auto attack" ability on 1.
5 - I always have 5 as my stun on every class. It's getting a little far away from WASD to be spammable, but still close enough that it's always there when I need it.
Q,R,F - These I usually bind utility, movement, or oh shit abilities to.
SHIFT-R - It's what I rebind my innate to.
E - I move my interaction key from F to E, personal preference.
C - potion, moved communicator to V.
* if you use this setup or something similar, make sure you rebind A/D as strafe rather than turn, if you don't do that you won't be able to break out of stuns properly.
* gadget ability and path ability I both have bound to buttons on my mouse.

Of course it's all about personal preference, but if you choose to use these keybinds or something similar it will minimize the amount your fingers have to travel from your movement keys and should improve your ability to play. :)

Wouldn't it be better to bind your left mouse to number 8? That way you free up number 1 by putting your starter on 8 allowing more of them closer to your fingertips? You could slide everything down a number and get your stun on 4.

I use Steer and SteerClear so my eight abilities are bound on buttons 1-4, Q(5) and E(6), LMB(7), RMB(8) when I have steer locked, but when I hit C which unlocks it both LMB and RMB go back to their default uses. With this setup the furthest I have to reach for any keypress is button 4.

Buy a Nostromo, it handles any and all keybinding issues. They literally disappear. Been using it since Ming from WoW talked about it years ago.

Is there anything like the Nostromo that is wireless? I can't find anything. I wouldn't mind getting something like this, but it wouldn't work since I game on my HTPC.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Have we hit the 18th yet for you silly American people? I want to see what this Strain video is!

In terms of keybindings, mine are as follow: 1-5; q, e, and r for 6, 7 and 8; and 9 and 0 I haven't bothered with yet. I have a Naga Hex so will use the side buttons at times but still haven't got use to MMO format for them, though I do use the top backwards/forwards buttons as auto run and inventory.

Top Bottom