• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Mastamind

I was warned last night when I hit 42 to just stay away from it.

50 is in sight, hopefully by this weekend

Then I can actually learn how to heal on a Medic, it just didn't seem worth the energy and was costing me too much time as I was leveling (half the guild I am in is 50 now) so I have been straight DPS

I was able to complete that quest yesterday. To use the targeted ability, dont mouse click to place the circle because it will activate on your character and you cant stand on top of the target, so you have to use ctrl-f1 to select and activate the ability at the target location. After completing the area and leaving out the portal it didnt give me credit for completing it for several hours. It just randomly showed up as complete and to go talk to the person in illium.

erragal

I was under the impression the reason people aren't satisfied with esper was because they have to stand still to even do any meaningful amount of damage.

This isn't even true. The issue is the perception that they are guarenteed to be a long range mage type class -and- be mobile.

Many of the complaints stem from the fact the stationary builder has a slightly higher dps cap than the mobile builder...which makes sense. You're 'given' that dps as a reward for standing still. Unfortunately people feel entitled to that level of dps while moving because they think their class is designed to be similar to the spellslinger.

It's really not. Esper has no void slip and no strong mobility skills. As a dps in a group pve encounter even if you want to use your long range builder your safest place is closer to the boss/healing telegraph concentrated location.

Individuals use preconceived notions as to what they expect a class to offer them to decide their complaints about what is available.

The fact is that stationary requirements on dps abilities is the reason those abilities do so much damage. If they remove the requirements but left the damage...they'd be overtuned. Esper has by far the most generous telegraphs in the game as well as many unmissable skills. They have the strongest, most diverse crowd control package and the second highest controllable burst.

Tbh people that want the ultra long range caster with mobility should try out the spellslinger. He fills that role admirably...and because of it his cc package is significantly worse.

It's frustrating seeing all of these individuals whining about the skillcap of pve positioning...when even stationary esper position requirements are miniscule compared to the burdens placed on healers during encounters. If I can keep track of the location of every person in the group + sidestep every telegraph + keep my facing so my telegraph angles are correct...then anything the dps has to do is pretty easy.

Having played a moonkin in bc era wow and a macroless archon in rift/Storm Legion raiding...I know all about stationary casters in huge raid ground effects. It is a skill...and to devalue that skill by complaining about the design is unfortunate. We're going to just end up with zero stationary dps casters which is a really interesting skillful playstyle that can be rewarded with higher damage.

erragal

I'm not saying it's not a strong class but like you said I do think there are some qol issues and Carbine has even stated that they agree. My biggest qol is we aren't rewarded for being stationary.

Carthh has a very good post with his opinions and the dev response.

Dev Post

You are rewarded for being stationary. If the reward is too high then all the people like me will give up healing and go play esper dps because my skills as positioning will be most useful there. I pick the class/role that has the highest positional/awareness skillcap. Right now that is medic but if esper stationary dps is buffed it will be esper.

I think they're going to go the other way and make the innate (which is weak BTW) make all your skills mobile for the duration. That's the easiest fix that has the least levers to pull.

Well I got my Engineer to 25, bought a hoverboard (which is a lot of fun, just wish it were faster), and I think I'm going to take a break from it and start a new character. Since that one is Dominion I'm going to go with Exile this time to check out their story and environments. I'm just trying to decide on a class to play next. Medic is out, as I already played one to level 15 and didn't find myself enjoying it very much. I'm leaning towards either Warrior or Stalker as I'd like to play a melee class next, although Spellslinger looks like a lot of fun.

I also realized that the Engineer in this game reminds me a lot of the Engineer in Torchlight 2. They both are meant to be tanks, the one in Torchlight 2 can even use a cannon, and they have bots that assist them. They're fun, but I still miss the Engineer from Anarchy Online.

JLeack

Banned
I'm level 41 and already regret making a Stalker. They are crap tanks and crap PvPers, the two things I care most about. Sigh.

So...this endgame.

I've been spamming vet adventures, and literally every single one has bugged at some point. On top of that, each is random in terms of objectives you get, which is stupid when you have to beat things in certain times for gold medal. On top of that, I've gotten 1 upgrade as a Medic healer, so basically I've been getting Elder Gems to show for the runs? I dunno. I may take a break and not resub for the next month. Let Carbine fix this stuff, its pretty obvious the endgame content didn't get much testing during the beta phases.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm level 41 and already regret making a Stalker. They are crap tanks and crap PvPers, the two things I care most about. Sigh.

wut.

Stalkers are great tanks. PVP, sure, but tanking? A lot of sources say that stalker tank is actually the best tank.

Jira

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/28aclq/strain_ultradrop/

So...this endgame.

I've been spamming vet adventures, and literally every single one has bugged at some point. On top of that, each is random in terms of objectives you get, which is stupid when you have to beat things in certain times for gold medal. On top of that, I've gotten 1 upgrade as a Medic healer, so basically I've been getting Elder Gems to show for the runs? I dunno. I may take a break and not resub for the next month. Let Carbine fix this stuff, its pretty obvious the endgame content didn't get much testing during the beta phases.

Yeah I've been reading a lot about how tons of instanced content is flat out buggy, some things can be worked through but others are game breaking on top of the already harsh requirements to even get a Silver. It's one thing to have a challenge, but challenge + random bugs kill any desire to bother with it until it's fixed. Carbine will have a serious issue on their hands once more people start hitting 50 and these issues aren't fixed.

Salamando

How has the regular PvE been for you? I love the stealth they have, as it seems to make navigating through trash mobs much easier.

My stalker's only 25, but I love the class so far. Stealth to sneak passed mobs...good burst for talking down singles...respectable group killing capabilities too.

Compared to my medic (23), they handle everything so much better.

Although being melee in dungeons can be fun at times....

JLeack

Banned
How has the regular PvE been for you? I love the stealth they have, as it seems to make navigating through trash mobs much easier.

I've really enjoyed it. I like waiting for my resource to fill up, stunning the mob, and then going behind it and impaling a bunch of times.

Unfortunately, in PvP it simply doesn't work very well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/28aclq/strain_ultradrop/

Yeah I've been reading a lot about how tons of instanced content is flat out buggy, some things can be worked through but others are game breaking on top of the already harsh requirements to even get a Silver. It's one thing to have a challenge, but challenge + random bugs kill any desire to bother with it until it's fixed. Carbine will have a serious issue on their hands once more people start hitting 50 and these issues aren't fixed.

Yeah I agree. Forgot to add that Tier 5 crafting trade skills are a joke too and bugged beyond belief (can't unlock recipes, dailies don't work).

JLeack

Banned
Oh, and I forgot to share this. I've collected all the WildStar swag. Carbine has designed some really cool products that I know will be offered in a Merchandise Store in the future.

jyPkxw4.jpg

My stalker's only 25, but I love the class so far. Stealth to sneak passed mobs...good burst for talking down singles...respectable group killing capabilities too.

Compared to my medic (23), they handle everything so much better.

Although being melee in dungeons can be fun at times....

I've really enjoyed it. I like waiting for my resource to fill up, stunning the mob, and then going behind it and impaling a bunch of times.

Unfortunately, in PvP it simply doesn't work very well.

Cool. I'm really leaning towards it as my melee class since it's something different than a typical Warrior. Which is fine sometimes but I'm trying to stay away from traditional roles now, although I guess Stalker is like a rogue in a lot of ways.

JLeack

Banned
Cool. I'm really leaning towards it as my melee class since it's something different than a typical Warrior. Which is fine sometimes but I'm trying to stay away from traditional roles now, although I guess Stalker is like a rogue in a lot of ways.

I'd much rather be a Warrior at this point than a Stalker.

Alrus

I must say Thayd is a fairly terrible main hub. It's ugly and it has a rather confusing layout. I don't know if Illium is the same (I'll try to make a dominion char one day so I can check it out).

Also, who the fuck sends guild invite to random people in the middle of fighting a prime? I accidentally joined a guild because of that.

And I must see, Farside is a really cramped place, not very entertaining to go through...

Hixx

I fucking loved Farside.

I have to say there's not been a zone yet I really disliked. In most other MMOs there's always a zone or three that makes you think twice about levelling an alt but, at level 40 heading into Malgrave, I'm yet to come across one in Wildstar.

jersoc

I'm only lvl 28, burt I have no issues with the esper class so far. There's some pretty good melee specs with mobility if you want those. I went from a medic to esper, esper is way, way easier to level and play in pvp, imo. Maybe this changes later, but i'll deal with it then.

I greatly enjoy the lifesteal pvp build and tanking 2-3 people while the team kills them.

arimanius

You are rewarded for being stationary. If the reward is too high then all the people like me will give up healing and go play esper dps because my skills as positioning will be most useful there. I pick the class/role that has the highest positional/awareness skillcap. Right now that is medic but if esper stationary dps is buffed it will be esper.

I think they're going to go the other way and make the innate (which is weak BTW) make all your skills mobile for the duration. That's the easiest fix that has the least levers to pull.

It's definitely a delicate balancing act. With more people hitting 50 and doing vet dungeons we'll get more opinions on the matter. Will be interesting to see what they say. Carbine did say they were going to look into the class. So hopefully there will be some qol fixes soon. The combat needs to flow a little better imo.

I'm not a fan of the innate in PvE but love it in PvP.

I must say Thayd is a fairly terrible main hub. It's ugly and it has a rather confusing layout. I don't know if Illium is the same (I'll try to make a dominion char one day so I can check it out).

Also, who the fuck sends guild invite to random people in the middle of fighting a prime? I accidentally joined a guild because of that.

And I must see, Farside is a really cramped place, not very entertaining to go through...

I wasn't a fan of Thayd. I must say when I switched to Dominion I am finding it a much better experience overall.

JLeack

Banned
What if you didn't care about PVP or being a tank? Would you still wish you were a different class?

Hm... not sure. I'm undecided on that one.

The Stalker just don't have much control. I really liked Rogue in WoW because they had Cheap Shot, Gouge, Blind, etc. Here, you just spam **** and have a couple defensive cooldowns that are insanely hard to land because of the telegraph delay.

JLeack

Banned
Super excited to see they already have the first big content patch coming down soon - even though most of the content is supposedly already in the game.

(There was a bug where the Biome portals to Northern Wilds would actually take you to Northern Wastes, apparently.)

I saw what they have planned while at E3 and it's really good. Be hyped.

I saw what they have planned while at E3 and it's really good. Be hyped.

Excellent. I've been really digging the game so far. Just about got my Exile Engineer to 50. I've been hearing that endgame instances are a bit buggy, so I might just grind plat or level an alt while those bugs are ironed out.

I am very excited to see what they have planned for this game!

TheYanger

This isn't even true. The issue is the perception that they are guarenteed to be a long range mage type class -and- be mobile.

Many of the complaints stem from the fact the stationary builder has a slightly higher dps cap than the mobile builder...which makes sense. You're 'given' that dps as a reward for standing still. Unfortunately people feel entitled to that level of dps while moving because they think their class is designed to be similar to the spellslinger.

It's really not. Esper has no void slip and no strong mobility skills. As a dps in a group pve encounter even if you want to use your long range builder your safest place is closer to the boss/healing telegraph concentrated location.

Individuals use preconceived notions as to what they expect a class to offer them to decide their complaints about what is available.

The fact is that stationary requirements on dps abilities is the reason those abilities do so much damage. If they remove the requirements but left the damage...they'd be overtuned. Esper has by far the most generous telegraphs in the game as well as many unmissable skills. They have the strongest, most diverse crowd control package and the second highest controllable burst.

Tbh people that want the ultra long range caster with mobility should try out the spellslinger. He fills that role admirably...and because of it his cc package is significantly worse.

It's frustrating seeing all of these individuals whining about the skillcap of pve positioning...when even stationary esper position requirements are miniscule compared to the burdens placed on healers during encounters. If I can keep track of the location of every person in the group + sidestep every telegraph + keep my facing so my telegraph angles are correct...then anything the dps has to do is pretty easy.

Having played a moonkin in bc era wow and a macroless archon in rift/Storm Legion raiding...I know all about stationary casters in huge raid ground effects. It is a skill...and to devalue that skill by complaining about the design is unfortunate. We're going to just end up with zero stationary dps casters which is a really interesting skillful playstyle that can be rewarded with higher damage.

It's not a reward though - that baseline for being immobile is their 'balanced' dps level. The mobile dps sucks. And really, the way this game is built, it just doesn't WORK well in a fun way. This isn't wow where you're punished for moving and knowing how to eke out dps on the move is an important skill - this is Wildstar where you are often moving for THE ENTIRETY of fights, it's just not a strong or compelling mechanic. Yes, it leaves skill cap space, and yes the numbers are actually alright, but to say 'you can just play the mobile and not get the bonus damage' is akin to saying 'don't press buttons, anything you do over 0 is a bonus!'. That's not viable in any meaningful way.

These veteran adventures will be the death of me. Of the 10 i've attempted so far only 1 has actually finished. The other 9 fell apart at various stages of the adventure, and 1 was stopped from a bug. At this rate i may just wait until i can do a full pre-made group. I've yet to get any gear upgrades and the time investment by and far has not been worth it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I like this whole 'hardcore' theme with the game, but there's a difference between 'hard' and 'time-consuming' they missed here.

Waiting around to get reputation, grinding adventures for drips of gear at a time, dailies not being very rewarding...at all.

It's gonna take a month before enough people get attuned to raid, and it's not going to be because it's hard, it's going to be because it just takes forever.

JLeack

Banned
I like this whole 'hardcore' theme with the game, but there's a difference between 'hard' and 'time-consuming' they missed here.

Waiting around to get reputation, grinding adventures for drips of gear at a time, dailies not being very rewarding...at all.

It's gonna take a month before enough people get attuned to raid, and it's not going to be because it's hard, it's going to be because it just takes forever.

Another example of this are about 30% of the leveling quests, which have you kill about 40 of a certain monster. I haven't seen other MMOs deliver quests that require more than 20 kills in AGES.

Ferny

These veteran adventures will be the death of me. Of the 10 i've attempted so far only 1 has actually finished. The other 9 fell apart at various stages of the adventure, and 1 was stopped from a bug. At this rate i may just wait until i can do a full pre-made group. I've yet to get any gear upgrades and the time investment by and far has not been worth it.
Doing with a PUG seems crazy to me.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Hey guys, first post on GAF (yay!).

I started playing Wildstar about a week ago, all the positive buzz around the game convinced me to pick it up.

If there's still room in the GAF guild on Orias, Exile side, I'd love an invite. My characters name is Mortalwombat.

Yea...I had a post earlier about endgame. So far is a joke to me =/

The adventure grind is not 'hard', it's really annoying, RNG-based, and frustrating. Have yet to lose an adventure mode based on mechanics or real difficulty. Failed plenty of times to bugs, RNG, and plain poor design.

On top of that, tier 5 crafting is bugged and useless.

Going to give this one more go, then just trash the game I guess.

So I pre-ordered the Deluxe edition of Wildstar, and tried playing it during the release weekend, but I just got away from WOW, and just can't commit to another MMO. Is anyone interested in trading a game on steam/greenman for it? The game will just go to waste otherwise.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What was i told:
"Since you know what you died to, thanks to telegraphs, we can make everything very hard"
What i died to today, for two hours, on Overseer Drift-Catcher in Vet. Stormtalon's Lair:
Debuffs not one of us had any clue were even in the game. I hadn't encountered a single dispellable debuff that wasn't a CC before this.
Mainly, the Storm annihilated the party within a span of three seconds, with what we were assuming were tons of lightning strikes, both telegraphed and not, that we were failing at dodging. I don't even know how i made it to managing to read the debuff before dying on the 15th try or something. Shrug.

Also bugs, mob double-casting (or no-casting), interrupts being deflected, and also being bad.
Yup, great game design there.
Honestly, the whole game past level 30 feels like it could've really used a month or two more in the cooker.

Also, who thought doing 900k hp bosses and 600k hp trash was a good idea? Dungeons are spent, sans wipes, roughly 90% on trash.
I really like interrupts being incredibly important and all, though. The interrupt armor mechanic is great.
Also healing formations are great.
Tanking is, welp, decent. Seen better, seen worse. Could do with stats being explained a pinch better, i guess.
On another note, wiping to the point of googling whatever is happening and google turning up NOTHING or obviously unviable strategies that are obviously for normal is a sensation i hadn't felt in years.

docbon

The adventure grind is not 'hard', it's really annoying, RNG-based, and frustrating. Have yet to lose an adventure mode based on mechanics or real difficulty. Failed plenty of times to bugs, RNG, and plain poor design.

After my nth run of war of the wilds to get my purple weapon, I've come to the same conclusion on all fronts. There's just an unbelievable amount of boring, time wasting bullshit. It doesn't help that everyone I come in contact with feels the need to gear up in all purps before we can do the actual fun stuff.

JLeack

Banned
After my nth run of war of the wilds to get my purple weapon, I've come to the same conclusion on all fronts. There's just an unbelievable amount of boring, time wasting bullshit. It doesn't help that everyone I come in contact with feels the need to gear up in all purps before we can do the actual fun stuff.

This does not bode well for the game's future...

docbon

Every time I run Malgrave trail, I think about that one talk where they mentioned continually changing raid instances so that they remained fun every second of the way.

And then a meatfiend spawns atop a bedroll and whirlwinds through 5 sleeping settlers instantly, prematurely ending a borefest of a 40 minute run.

Some of these problems above, if each were addressed, would be impossible to do.

I'm just sayin'

I don't plan on doing any of that till I land a good mature group. This game doesn't seem to take well to impatience or entitlement (and enduring them bugs push that even further).

the bugs are there but 'losing to rng' is a piss poor excuse for bad play

the bugs are there but 'losing to rng' is a piss poor excuse for bad play

Are you level 50? Actually serious, because if you can give me a 100% RNG-proof guide for the Vet Adventures, I'll worship you.

But, for example, my last War of the Wilds adventure: after sitting around for 10 minutes waiting for an optional objective we get one...go kill an AI half way across the map...in 2 minutes. Oh yeah and the minions killed the AI before we get there...so no more gold. I mean it's just dumb. And it's not bad play, lol.

Some of these problems above, if each were addressed, would be impossible to do.

I'm just sayin'

Huh?

TheYanger

War of the Wilds is horrible and you shouldn't waste time on gold - their fix for easy farming was kneejerk and busted. The rest? They have bugs, but are definitely consistently doable. That said, adventures get grating and are not the content a lot of us are after, you REALLY don't need much adventure gear to handle dungeons. If you're not straight pugging, I'd just go to stormtalon and bang your head against those bosses. Infinitely more fun.

I don't have a single piece of gear from Tempest or Malgrave (rng gon rng) and just said fuck it and went into dungeons no problem. Some in my group are predominately in greens still.

War of the Wilds is horrible and you shouldn't waste time on gold - their fix for easy farming was kneejerk and busted. The rest? They have bugs, but are definitely consistently doable. That said, adventures get grating and are not the content a lot of us are after, you REALLY don't need much adventure gear to handle dungeons. If you're not straight pugging, I'd just go to stormtalon and bang your head against those bosses. Infinitely more fun.

I don't have a single piece of gear from Tempest or Malgrave (rng gon rng) and just said fuck it and went into dungeons no problem. Some in my group are predominately in greens still.

Yeah I think we may do this. I have a group of 4 (tank, heals, 2 dps).

Top Bottom