• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony give us a Showcase in December to celebrate 30 years of Playstation?

Will we get an amazing Showcase in December?

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There are rumors of a State of Play in September, but when is the next major Showcase? Personally, I think Sony are planning a massive showcase in December. Not just any showcase either, but one of the biggest showcases they've produced.

Why? Well first, Sony have been blue balling gamers for a while now. We've heard hardly anything about what their first party studios are working on.

Next, December is a big month for Sony as it marks the 30th anniversary of Playstation. What better way to celebrate 30 years of Playstation with an absolute God tier showcase.

Or will Sony celebrate 30 years of Playstation with a tweet and wait till 2025 for a showcase?

Hrk69

Gold Member
Mike Myers No GIF

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
2 possible outcomes for December. You can judge which is more likely.

a) fan-centric Playstation showcase where they go all out and fulfill all your wildest dreams. All PS fans get a complimentary "Thank you Jim Ryan" cookie mailed to their home address.
b) Firewalk gets closed down.

nial

No, we will only get a PlayStation Japan Asia Partners Award event in Minato on December 6th, with Astro dancing along with Toro and Kuro.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
There will be a Showcase to show off future Pro projects in December, yes.

Source: My ass.

nial

a) fan-centric Playstation showcase where they go all out and fulfill all your wildest dreams.
Knowing NeoGAF's wildest dreams are more Killzone and Infamous games, they better put the hype machine to rest.
Part of my wishlist this gen was the following: a new full-blown Astro Bot game, more Kojima projects, and a XDEV collab with Team Ninja; I got all of them!
At this point I just need a new collab with Alfa System, and it will be the best PS gen for me.

Hudo

You want your current product to shine, so I dunno if it's a good marketing move to position PS5 next to PS1 and PS2.

If I was Sony, I'd do a limited edition PS5 and/or PS5 Pro, a limited edition Dual Sense Edge and a cool wallpaper or something.

nial

Showcases need to end. It's time to put more thought and attention towards State of Plays.
Finally some based take of yours. Learn from the widely beloved September 2022 and January 2024 SOPs, and go from there.
Make every single upcoming State of Play something truly exciting to look forward to.

nial

The proof is in the pudding. Don't care what their names are. We're at a low point.
How can you even deduce that when he's been CEO for only 3 months?
Plus, they're having a full-blown Tokyo Game Show booth later this month. I'm pretty sure their fans over there are pretty stoked about it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Showcases need to end. It's time to put more thought and attention towards State of Plays.

Even for a special occasion like the 30th anniversary?

I understand a showcase is expensive, but surly the 30th anniversary warrants special attention?

Would be perfect to shoot their load all over fans as well. They've been no nutting for too long.

bundylove

I understand a showcase is expensive, but surly the 30th anniversary warrants special attention?

Would be perfect to shoot their load all over fans as well. They've been no nutting for too long.
Speak for yourself.
I dont want anyone to shoot their load on me sorry.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I don't think anyone actually gives a **** that it's the 30th anniversary. Sony can't leverage that fact into more money by showing off 28 games that people don't care about and 2 games that people do care about.

Look at every showcase style event thread from the past 6 or 7 years. They're universally reviled. Everyone always says the same thing "This was a terrible, fluff filled showcase, but game X or Y saved it for me."

Cut the fluff. Showcase the prime meat. That's where the industry is at, and where it's heading.

Doubtful, they’ll probably just have some publication on their website with some shitty avatars that you have to redeem a code to even get. Probably a sale as well, a generous 10% off of 5 year old games.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Doubtful, they’ll probably just have some publication on their website with some shitty avatars that you have to redeem a code to even get. Probably a sale as well, a generous 10% off of 5 year old games.

I see where you're coming from. Sony has been on radio silence for a long time and only giving fans small crumbs.

However, on the 20th anniversary in 2014, Sony had a pretty impressive showcase with it's Playstation Experience with a ton of first party games shown off, as well as some amazing third party titles (except for Square. Pretty sure that was the year they trolled everyone with FF7. Everyone was expecting the FF7 remake, and instead it was just a port of the original).

No reason why they can't do something similar this year.

In fact, I'm actually confident they will. I'm not sure it'll be a live show, but I'm confident we'll get a Playstation experience with a crap load of first and third party announcements.

As well as the 30th anniversary, they have the PS5 pro apparently releasing soon. What better way to convince people to buy a Pro than with some fantastic game announcements.

nial

I see where you're coming from. Sony has been on radio silence for a long time and only giving fans small crumbs.

However, on the 20th anniversary in 2014, Sony had a pretty impressive showcase with it's Playstation Experience with a ton of first party games shown off, as well as some amazing third party titles (except for Square. Pretty sure that was the year they trolled everyone with FF7. Everyone was expecting the FF7 remake, and instead it was just a port of the original).

No reason why they can't do something similar this year.

In fact, I'm actually confident they will. I'm not sure it'll be a live show, but I'm confident we'll get a Playstation experience with a crap load of first and third party announcements.

As well as the 30th anniversary, they have the PS5 pro apparently releasing soon. What better way to convince people to buy a Pro than with some fantastic game announcements.
They will not be announcing a ton of big blockbusters in a single event, the last time they blew almost all their load in terms of heavy hitters (E3 2016), they kept showing them over and over again in the following years.
Smaller budget games with short announcement-to-release time frames like, say, Astro Bot or LEGO Horizon Adventures? Yeah, several of those could work. But you don't need any big PSX-like event for them, State of Plays are more than enough.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
One thing that would get me to buy a ps5 pro would be a PlayStation 1 LE version. Do it Sony !

IDKFA

They will not be announcing a ton of big blockbusters in a single event, the last time they blew almost all their load in terms of heavy hitters (E3 2016), they kept showing them over and over again in the following years.
Smaller budget games with short announcement-to-release time frames like, say, Astro Bot or LEGO Horizon Adventures? Yeah, several of those could work. But you don't need any big PSX-like event for them, State of Plays are more than enough.

It could just be the ones that are 12 months or less out.

Examples being Wolverine, the rumored Venom game, GoT sequel and maybe Bluepoint's game, plus a load of third party stuff.

As it's 30 years of Playstation, they could also shadow drop a load of first and third party PS1 and PS2 classics.

While I'm dreaming, maybe some PS3 games as well if they've found a way to get them running on the PS5 without streaming.

SoP's work for the majority of the time, but you want something a little bit more special for the 30th anniversary.

nial

It could just be the ones that are 12 months or less out.

Examples being Wolverine, the rumored Venom game, GoT sequel and maybe Bluepoint's game, plus a load of third party stuff.
Wolverine is slated for late 2026, Venom is not exactly a big game compared to SM2 or Wolverine, so it could benefit from a short announcement-to-release time frame like Miles Morales, and Sony already told you to not expect anything from Bluepoint. Ghost of Tsushima sequel is okay, but I don't think it's large enough to guarantee a big 30th anniversary blowout. GOT2 would be far more fitting for TGS or TGA, if anything.
SoP's work for the majority of the time, but you want something a little bit more special for the 30th anniversary.
SOPs could be special if Sony wants them to be (like the January 2024 one). I think you're focusing too much on this whatever branding for their digital events.

IDKFA

Wolverine is slated for late 2026, Venom is not exactly a big game compared to SM2 or Wolverine, so it could benefit from a short announcement-to-release time frame like Miles Morales, and Sony already told you to not expect anything from Bluepoint. Ghost of Tsushima sequel is okay, but I don't think it's large enough to guarantee a big 30th anniversary blowout. GOT2 would be far more fitting for TGS or TGA, if anything.

SOPs could be special if Sony wants them to be (like the January 2024 one). I think you're focusing too much on this whatever branding for their digital events.

Maybe some suprise announcements. Sony loves a remake/remaster. Give me a Resistance remaster or Bloodborne remaster. Plenty they could pull out of their ass.

To tell the truth, I know SOP's aren't going anywhere, but I still want the classic live shows of the past. I've also been blue balled for too long by Sony. I'm so used to them announcing bangers on a regular basis.

Whatever they do, I'm confident on there being a big show or SOP in December.

Top Bottom