• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdkee

Banned
Yeah, it does seem like a dumb decision, but JJ has been talking about it since mid-third set. I think the organization couldnt simply ignore it fearing people would say they are favoring Andy if he ended up winning...

I don't think so. There's no way they could've played one more set. I just don't know why they bothered consulting Murray, it's not his decision.

Yeah, it does seem like a dumb decision, but JJ has been talking about it since mid-third set. I think the organization couldnt simply ignore it fearing people would say they are favoring Andy if he ended up winning...

JJ is moaning about nothing.

It's a weak decision. The light is fine and the history of the tournament shows matches go well beyond this in this light.

Janowicz has done what's best for him by moaning about it endlessly but the decision is stupid.

szaromir

Banned
Anybody else gets the flashback from this? :p

XcWh5.jpg

kharma45

Its going to be dark. Anyone with a brain knew light would effect this match. Roof shouldve been on before match started.

Janowicz will flourish in the indoor conditions.

There is at least a good half an hour of good light left if not more. Its an outdoor tournament, roof should be open as long as possible.

Speevy

Banned
I would like to see a professional tennis match played in total darkness with no lights.

Like give us one of those nightvision cams.

Yes, Andy has momentum, exactly. Do you think he would have acted so fiercely about closing the roof if he was 2-1 down?

The issue isn't if there's sufficient light or not. I can't imagine any other player in the top10 throwing a fit about the decision. Just accept it and move on, you're in the lead.

Any serious player would absolutely be pissed at this decision. Murray may have reacted more strongly than others, but there's not a professional alive who wouldn't be furious.

Saty

Why start a set when you most probably will need to stop in the middle of it to close the roof because it will get too dark in the middle of it. It's not about if there's enough light now, it's if there's enough light to start and finish the set. If the play would have been stopped in a middle of a key game\point to close the roof when it could\should have been before the started then i would be upset; and that's when 'momentum' is really key.

I honestly think the stoppage time + the roof favors Janowicz... Murray was all flustered when the referee came over. Janowicz's serve will be much more precise with the indoor conditions.

Hopefully this match goes the way of Wimbledon 2012 final. When they closed the roof, Roger's game exploded and he took the match winning the next two sets.

Why start a set when you most probably will need to stop in the middle of it to close the roof because it will get too dark in the middle of it. It's not about if there's enough light now, it's if there's enough light to start and finish the set. If the play would have been stopped in a middle of a key game\point to close the roof when it could\should have been before the started then i would be upset; and that's when 'momentum' is really key.

I don't think you understand.

You don't play to the end of sets.

You play to the conditions.

Right now the conditions are fine.

agrajag

Banned
Because Wimbledon is an outdoor tournament that should be played outdoors. As much of it as can feasibly be completed outdoors, should be. The roof should only be used to prevent even longer delays (ie, rain or when matches would run late).

Fuck that noise. The match has already been scheduled. It's happening, whether you like it or not. There's 20 more minutes of light, tops. It makes way more sense to close the roof between sets than during a set. By your logic they should delay the rest of the match until tomorrow.

Meadows

Banned
I can hear a conversation on my BBC feed. They don't know the mics are on!

There's a woman talking about selling her house

Fuck that noise. The match has already been scheduled. It's happening, whether you like it or not. There's 20 more minutes of light, tops. It makes way more sense to close the roof between sets than during a set. By your logic they should delay the rest of the match until tomorrow.

But why not get the best out of those 20 minutes of light? Lots can happen in 20 minutes.

LuuKyK

JJ is moaning about nothing.

It's a weak decision. The light is fine and the history of the tournament shows matches go well beyond this in this light.

Janowicz has done what's best for him by moaning about it endlessly but the decision is stupid.

Maybe the light is not as fine as we think? Todays cameras do have some way to improve lighting for broadcasts iirc. I dont know... I think it would be worse if they decided to close the roof midway through the next set.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Closing the roof changes the nature of the tournament. This is not an indoor tournament. It makes more sense to play even half a set in the correct conditions, rather than a set less. Delaying it til tomorrow is too much, that's what the roof is for, but given a choice between a 20 minute delay now, during the light, and later, now is stupid. You're just waaaay too salty, it's a little unsettling. What did Murray do, make love to your wife?

kmag

Its going to be dark. Anyone with a brain knew light would effect this match. Roof shouldve been on before match started.

Janowicz will flourish in the indoor conditions.

You do realise a) it's a clear day and b) they've played until 9:50 before on centre court pre roof.

It's an outdoor tournament play outdoors. They easily, very easily could have gotten another set in.

kharma45

Maybe the light is not as fine as we think? Todays cameras do have some way to improve lighting for broadcasts iirc. I dont know... I think it would be worse if they decided to close the roof midway through the next set.

Its cloudy where I am in the UK but still bright as anything. London looks to have reasonably clear skies so is likely nice still too.

They could have played another set without the roof. As commentary team were saying, there's been plenty of matches on court later than this.

Murray is absolutely right to be annoyed.

kmag

To those saying there's 20 minutes of light left tops simply haven't watched this tournament before. It's a perfectly clear summer day in London and they've played until nearly 10 before.

D_prOdigy

No, it really doesn't. There seems to be some misunderstanding over this point.

You play without the roof until the very moment it becomes unfeasible to - either due to rain or if it is too dark to continue playing.

EvetS

So are the players allowed to talk to coaches during this time? Seems like JJ would benefit more if he could be coached to settle down.

Saty

I don't think you understand.

You don't play to the end of sets.

You play to the conditions.

Right now the conditions are fine.

When starting sets you should think about if you can finish it. It happened with the Kvitova-Makarova match. The 3rd set shouldn't have been started and the match stopped due to bad light.

If it's within reason that the set won't be concluded before the light gets too bad then the set shouldn't start and they should close the roof.

In this particular case closing the roof is not completely unwarranted as Murray acted. And if other top players would have been upset about the decision, i doubt they would have expressed and 'battled' it as Murray did.

kmag

When starting sets you should think about if you can finish it. It happened with the Kvitova-Makarova match. The 3rd set shouldn't have been started and the match stopped due to bad light.

If it's within reason that the set won't be concluded before the light gets too bad then the set shouldn't start and they should close the roof.

In this particular case closing the roof is not completely unwarranted as Murray acted. And if other top players would have been upset about the decision, i doubt they would have expressed and 'battled' it as Murray did.

Unless this set suddenly takes an hour, they'd have been fine.

Its cloudy where I am in the UK but still bright as anything. London looks to have reasonably clear skies so is likely nice still too.

There was more than 20 mins light anyways.

They stopped 10/15 mins ago as it is.

Doesn't get really dark in London till about 9.30/9.45 these days.

Anyway, decision has been made. Completely understandable why Muzzah was annoyed...way too many people blinded by their opinion of him in this thread.

If it was Murray asking the umpire every sitdown about the roof they'd all be making a big deal of that.

JJ just wants a fucking indoor game because he prefers it.

load of bollocks

Wimbledon is an outdoor tournament

So, you would have play stopped at 925, at the near peak of darkness, to have the roof opened? That moment would more than likely occur at a crucial part of the set. By opening the roof now you are allowing equal play for both players.

During this break, I just want to say that the crowd is really ridiculous and I think Andy was having flashbacks to the 2012 final.

So, you would have play stopped at 925, at the near peak of darkness, to have the roof opened? That moment would more than likely occur at a crucial part of the set. By opening the roof now you are allowing equal play for both players.

During this break, I just want to say that the crowd is really ridiculous and I think Andy was having flashbacks to the 2012 final.

At 9.25 the match would likely have been finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom