• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

There was more than 20 mins light anyways.

They stopped 10/15 mins ago as it is.

Doesn't get really dark in London till about 9.30/9.45 these days.

Anyway, decision has been made. Completely understandable why Muzzah was annoyed...way too many people blinded by their opinion of him in this thread.

If it was Murray asking the umpire every sitdown about the roof they'd all be making a big deal of that.

Yeah at very worst there was a good 30-40 minutes of light left, if not an hour.

So you're suggesting they close it in the middle of a set?

With the way the match was going that would've been unlikely.

would they have closed the roof if was forecast to rain in 30 minutes?

I'd imagine not.

Zutroy

Janowicz had been whining like a bitch for ages to get the roof closed. Even if that set went to a tie breaker there still would have been enough light. Murray had every right to be pissed!

cdkee

Banned
Yeah at very worst there was a good 30-40 minutes of light left, if not an hour.

With the way the match was going that would've been unlikely.

I don't think that's fair to say. None of us are Wimbledon officials, so we really can't say what the rules are and aren't.

Hystzen

Z1YoMfH.png

agrajag

Banned
Yes. Lots of people seem to be having trouble coming to terms with the fact that that is what is supposed to happen.

that's retarded. You want players to play with minimal light, that's not even safe. How about if it starts raining, they only close the roof when the puddles start forming.

Saty

Got to say, though, it will be hilarious if Jerzi ends up winning the match now. I'll be surprised if that happens.

kmag

So you're suggesting they close it in the middle of a set?

The chances of that were minimal. There is were at least 45 minutes of light left, as I keep saying they've played until nearly ten before, and it's extremely clear. No set in this game has been over 50 minutes

Bollocks decision. Should have kept playing outdoors until it got too dark then closed the roof.

The fact that he kept asking for it should have forced the All England Club to make that decision just to irritate him.

D_prOdigy

that's retarded. You want players to play with minimal light, that's not even safe. How about if it starts raining, they only close the roof when the puddles start forming.

There's no need to get that emotive. I think we can all see that the current situation is far from 'minimal light'. We don't have do that much speculation on the light situation - we've had decades of games at pre-roof Wimbledon that have gone close to 10pm before it got too dark to play.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I don't think that's fair to say. None of us are Wimbledon officials, so we really can't say what the rules are and aren't.

Unless we do something crazy like looking at the Wimbledon website.

Protocol for use of the roof

These basic principles will govern the use of the roof:

(a) The Championships is an outdoor daytime event. Therefore, in good weather, the roof will only be used if it is too dark to play on without it.
(b) The Referee has ultimate control over use of the roof and his decision is final.
(c) Timings of scheduled play on Centre Court in 2012 are intended to be on the same basis as 2011. This includes the number of matches and the likely timing of those matches to be put on the court. There can be many different circumstances which will govern the opening and the closing of the roof, hence the ultimate control of the Referee.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Worst Murray is when he's pissed off at himself. Best Murray is when he's pissed off with someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom