• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

It would be cool if someone created (or edited the OP) a post with a ton of resources for cool tips/tricks/programs/settings for Windows 10.

Someone posted a technique to get your taskbar buttons the center, which is cool, but I want more!

Is there a way to get Windows Picture and Fax Viewer back for Windows 10, or at least a good alternative? I don't like the default photo app and Windows Photo Gallery doesn't view images by date modified. I don't want to go in the registry to fix it when it still isn't as good as WPaFV to begin with.

Dinosur

Yeah, that date modified bug is the frickin' worst.

I dunno what's going on, but twice last week my desktop has just shut down over night for no reason. Doesn't seem to be tied to installing updates and google/windows forums are absolutely zero help.

Battery backup is fine. Sleep settings are all turned off, as they have always been. I can't figure it out.

Jonnax

Is there a way to get Windows Picture and Fax Viewer back for Windows 10, or at least a good alternative? I don't like the default photo app and Windows Photo Gallery doesn't view images by date modified. I don't want to go in the registry to fix it when it still isn't as good as WPaFV to begin with.

I just use the image viewer of Picasa, it also has a media library thing as well.

How do you get this to lock after a while? Changed the power options to power saver because I was going to go out for a bit, so went I came back it was just turned off display so it never went to sleep. Power saver has it sleep after 10 mins, I was out for almost an hour.
thinking.gif

So I have W8.1 on my gaming PC and I really like it, but I was wanting to dual boot my Mac so I've installed Windows 10 on that (typing from there atm)

Is it just me or is W10 fucking ugly... like Windows in general is less aesthetically pleasing to me than OS X but W8.1 is really nice, almost as good for me. W10 on the other hand looks like it was thrown together with bits and pieces of every OS MS has released so far. Like yeah, W8 was a pretty big departure but the whole OS revolved around that departure and it felt and looked really nice once you got used to it. W10 on the other hand... eh.

So, uh, there's a lot of people saying that W10 is basically an 'official' trojan horse, that MS goes through all the files and personal information and whatnot... is this true? If so I'll switch back to W8.1.

Hexa

Anyone know how to get a dark theme running for explorer and such? I've figured out how to make the title bars black, but I can't get the text or the minimize/maximize/close buttons on the top left to turn white. :(

Mengetsu

I have a question I know has been most likely asked before but, I have someone who is selling a 4 year old Dell Laptop with Vista on it. The person who is selling is the mother of the former owner (who has passed away) and is password protected and even had the reformatting options password locked. I would like to buy it but, I wanted to know if I upgrade it with a Windows 10 CD I make from the MS site would I have a full version of the OS or would I have to buy Windows 10 down the line and what features would be missing from a fresh boot?

danielcw

So, uh, there's a lot of people saying that W10 is basically an 'official' trojan horse, that MS goes through all the files and personal information and whatnot... is this true? If so I'll switch back to W8.1.

Trojan horse?

All the data being sent that makes people freak out can be disabled, and nobody would know, if there weren't official switches.

If you don't trust Windows 10 to send no data after having disabled all the switches, you can't really trust any closed source OS.

Trojan horse?

All the data being sent that makes people freak out can be disabled, and nobody would know, if there weren't official switches.

If you don't trust Windows 10 to send no data after having disabled all the switches, you can't really trust any closed source OS.

I read some news of torrent websites banning w10 because of this, someone was telling the users to download windows 8. lol

K then thanks for the clarification.

clav

K then thanks for the clarification.

Ars wrote something about it.

To the best of our knowledge, this is nonsense. Windows 10, like every modern mainstream operating system, does connect to numerous cloud services, and there are certainly privacy implications to these. But sending the contents of disks to Microsoft? There are no signs that Windows 10 does anything of the sort.

If you're concerned about privacy, don't worry. Your ISP already knows.

Who else has Photoshop? I've started getting more and more PSD thubmnail icons. It's magical. I don't know what I did, but I want to keep it this way however possible.

Over 75 million devices are already using Windows 10.

A friend of mine found an interesting bug in the Calculator app: writing "2 + 2 * 2" will give you 8 as a result instead of expected 6. That's because it calculates operations as you write them (so it first calculates "2 + 2", then the result of that is multiplied by 2) instead of waiting for the whole sequence to be written.

This is how Windows Calculator and every basic calculator has done it since forever. It's not a bug.

Klocker

Another round of win 10 cumulative updates today with no info except ...improve windows 10

I'll take it... still waiting for a firmware release for Surface 3

FyreWulff

A friend of mine found an interesting bug in the Calculator app: writing "2 + 2 * 2" will give you 8 as a result instead of expected 6. That's because it calculates operations as you write them (so it first calculates "2 + 2", then the result of that is multiplied by 2) instead of waiting for the whole sequence to be written.

To clarify: it's emulating the way standard calculators only had the last number in memory.

In basic mode, 2 + 2 * 2 is shorthand for

+
(display clear)
=
(display clear)
=
(display clear)

My computer is doing the install now.
.. Specifically the thing where it resets over and over again and now the screen is blank and I'm like "aauuhh ookaay den..."

Downloading as well.

Nice to see new features and changes being added again, however slow they are coming :p

But from the blog it seems like soon we will be getting news!

Hope they bring the unified action center and the new messaging/calling/skyping app soon!

Tehalemi

10 Home here. Got 2 updates downloading now:

Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081452)

Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081449)

Edit:

Just got another after those 2 installed. Downloading now:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081448)

clav

10 Home here. Got 2 updates downloading now:

Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081452)

Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081449)

Edit:

Just got another after those 2 installed. Downloading now:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081448)

Revision changed to 16463.

What anti-virus are you all running? On Windows 7 I had avast and Malwarebytes but so far on 10 I haven't installed anything; just running Defender.

clav

I like that the contextual menu font is bigger in the latest build. Easier on the eyes.

However, it looks rough with white lines and weird formatting.

A step in the right direction.

Edge also got a boost.

q27Ey6W.png

google pushed the fix for 64-bit chrome to their beta channel. http://www.neowin.net/news/google-f...-chrome-to-crash-on-windows-10-insider-builds

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/beta.html

EDIT:

i think the latest insider build sped up the load time to open the calculator when using a keyboard with the shortcut. that or it's just the placebo effect ;P

I think it did too. Mine took a second or so to open before and now it's almost as fast as it used to be on Windows 7, which was pretty much instant.

Kyuur

So I have seem to have a legit Windows 10 from using the preview or something. Any way for me to wipe my entire PC, reinstall and still have a legit copy?

Edit: Heads up for anyone who has the same question, you can grab the key from your PC and use it no problem. Its a Pro key, not a Home, so make sure to choose that when making your bootable media.

Kyuur

Argh, what the hell. I downloaded and ran the 64 bit media creator, installed from that media and somehow ended up with 32 bit Windows 10... Going to try again but damn if this isn't a giant pain in my ass.

Edit: Oh, I see what happened. The architecture selection in the tool resets when you switch it from Win Home to Pro, or change the language. Bah.

Guri

Guys, there is a bug with the Start Menu search, if the bar is hidden. If you open the menu and interact with it in any way (like opening "All Apps" or something else), you can't search anymore. I've talked with someone from MS about it and it is known. Hopefully they will fix it soon. Anyway, I've added that to the Feedback app, in case you want to vote.

Top Bottom