• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Windows 10 design is so inconsistent. Kind of a mess... Otherwise the experience has been great. Shame about Edge not having Adblock.

I had an old laptop with a corrupted windows 7 install and instead of fixing it and then upgrading I decided to install clean from the media tool...

But now windows 10 won't recognize my win7 serial key to activate it, is there a way to convert keys, or do I have to go back to win7, use the upgrade tool and then once in win10 I recover the new key to keep it?

danielcw

or do I have to go back to win7, use the upgrade tool and then once in win10 I recover the new key to keep it?

Yes, you have to upgrade, so the key will be registered at MS as a Windows 10 key.
Alternatively: call the activation hotline and talk to a real person and explain the issue

Are scheduled defrags not occurring for anyone else?

Since I installed Windows 10 (the week it came out) it's been set to defrag weekly... yet it hasn't.

Today I go and look and it says "Never ran" or something similar. I then clicked analyze and one drive was 10% fragmented, why hasn't it analyzed + defragged it then? I had to do it manually.

It might not auto-Defrag unless the drive is more than 15 or 20% fragmented?

I'm not sure what Windows 10's threshold is. In the past on Windows 7, if I just did an "Analyze" and it was less than a certain % fragmented, it would say "You do not have to defrag at this time" or something like that.

I use a SSD now, so I don't defrag at all.

clav

Sigh MS once again shoving a driver update that doesn't work well for integrated AMD GPUs.

Dedicated is OK.

Sydle

Nope, they removed smart files in Windows 10. Such a stupid decision, I hope they bring it back in the next major update.

allegedly people who traveled were often confused or disappointed to find that their smart files weren't actually on their computer when they got somewhere off the web.

so files were smart, people not so much.

I read here that One Drive is being reworked I hope it comes back

Goddamnit. I don't understand how someone could be confused about it unless they were completely oblivious what was OneDrive is.

OneDrive use has become so much more cumbersome without them.

I found a video showing how to map it as a network drive and essentially function as shortcuts. I suppose that will do for now, but I really hope they bring it back.

Klocker

Goddamnit. I don't understand how someone could be confused about it unless they were completely oblivious was OneDrive is.

I found a video showing how to map it as a network drive and essentially function as shortcuts.
I suppose that will do for now, but I really hope they bring it back.

thanks for the heads up, just did that. pretty cool

Minus_Me

I'm a little confused on how to get rid of an email account from the mail program. Am I just being daft or I can't seem to find any log out prompt?

Klocker

I'm a little confused on how to get rid of an email account from the mail program. Am I just being daft or I can't seem to find any log out prompt?

hamburger menu top left/settings icon -bottom of that tab/Accounts -from right window that pops out/click on Account you want to delete/Delete account

Note you can not delete an email account that you are logged into windows with , can only stop email syncing

Minus_Me

hamburger menu top left/settings icon -bottom of that tab/Accounts -from right window that pops out/click on Account you want to delete/Delete account

Note you can not delete an email account that you are logged into windows with , can only stop email syncing

Thanks a bunch, had not noticed I was logged into my pc using that email address.

Wasp

One thing which slightly annoys me is when logging in sometimes it will default to sign in by PIN and other times it will default to sign in by MS account password, seemingly randomly.

Whereas in Windows 8 I could set it up to always have sign in using PIN as the default.

That was done to make snapping windows to the side easier. It only happens when you're moving your cursor slowly. When dragging windows between monitors move your cursor faster or use the keyboard shortcut(winkey+shift+arrow keys).

It happens regardless of how fast I move my mouse. I just looked really stupid trying to move my mouse super fast.

Goddamnit. I don't understand how someone could be confused about it unless they were completely oblivious was OneDrive is.

I found a video showing how to map it as a network drive and essentially function as shortcuts. I suppose that will do for now, but I really hope they bring it back.

While I agree that they definitely should have shipped with smart files support, it needed to be handled better than it was on 8.1. Not because of the overlays, but the whole system was very spotty at getting files on demand. Not to mention issues like taking a lifetime to process changes, even when you change but a single file, or the stupid filename length and file size restrictions which makes absolutely no sense nowadays...

In short, the step back had to be done... Onedrive was just a mess. But, the most worst part is how they take so goddamn long to make very minimal progress. In the end the result was that we paid the price of that step back, but haven't seen any of the benefits. OneDrive is still a mess using too much CPU and taking forever to sync files, we still have the same nonsensical limitations (specially for a service that claims to offer unlimited storage now) but now we have reduced functionality and absolutely no way of manipulating files not synced locally.

Sydle

While I agree that they definitely should have shipped with smart files support, it needed to be handled better than it was on 8.1. Not because of the overlays, but the whole system was very spotty at getting files on demand. Not to mention issues like taking a lifetime to process changes, even when you change but a single file, or the stupid filename length and file size restrictions which makes absolutely no sense nowadays...

In short, the step back had to be done... Onedrive was just a mess. But, the most worst part is how they take so goddamn long to make very minimal progress. In the end the result was that we paid the price of that step back, but haven't seen any of the benefits. OneDrive is still a mess using too much CPU and taking forever to sync files, we still have the same nonsensical limitations (specially for a service that claims to offer unlimited storage now) but now we have reduced functionality and absolutely no way of manipulating files not synced locally.

I'm no Windows power user or anything, but I used the smart files pretty much every day for Word, Excel, and image files for the last 2 years. Never had an issue with getting them or syncing when I was done.

Why is microsoft making things more difficult to IT admins?, not only forces updates for the OS but now they won't even say what the update is for.

Microsoft has no plans to tell us what’s in Windows patches

Company representatives told The Register that while the company "may choose" to perform "additional promotion" of new features depending on their "significance," there's no intention of providing full release notes. This means that future patches are going to continue to say nothing more than "This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10."

http://arstechnica.com/information-...no-plans-to-tell-us-whats-in-windows-patches/

Jzero

Minecraft is so damn smooth on the Windows 10 version lawd.

8g1yqk9.png

Mr_Zombie

A friend of mine found an interesting bug in the Calculator app: writing "2 + 2 * 2" will give you 8 as a result instead of expected 6. That's because it calculates operations as you write them (so it first calculates "2 + 2", then the result of that is multiplied by 2) instead of waiting for the whole sequence to be written.

clav

A friend of mine found an interesting bug in the Calculator app: writing "2 + 2 * 2" will give you 8 as a result instead of expected 6. That's because it calculates operations as you write them (so it first calculates "2 + 2", then the result of that is multiplied by 2) instead of waiting for the whole sequence to be written.

Put the calculator in scientific mode.

danielcw

Well, that's hardly a solution, since most people use the calculator in standard mode.

That is how calculators are supposed to work in standard mode.
Go, get a real simple calculator and compare.

Mr_Zombie

Hm, I don't have any physical simple calculator but maybe you're right. Maybe I've just been spoiled by all other apps (e.g. Google's default calculator app) and calculators build-in into web searches; if you type the same operation in Cortana, she (Bing) gives you the correct result, i.e. 6.

Hm, I don't have any physical simple calculator but maybe you're right. Maybe I've just been spoiled by all other apps (e.g. Google's default calculator app) and calculators build-in into web searches; if you type the same operation in Cortana, she (Bing) gives you the correct result, i.e. 6.

I dunno if it stays on a restart of your PC, but it even remembers the setting after closing an reopening it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished the upgrade, that went super smooth. Took about 45 minutes, all I had to do afterwards was install the Nvidia drivers again.

Just finished adjusting the privacy settings, now to explore the OS itself. Even though the screen resolution is the same, everything seems way smaller. Even this screen, it seems weird.

Does Windows 10 not have any Aero-style themes? I really like the transparancy effects, but I can't find it anywhere.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Where is the difference to today?
Don't most, if not all updates, have KB articles associated with them?
The KB articles for updates on previous Windows versions had a lot of info in them, including what was fixed with great detail. The KB articles for W10 on the other hand aren't saying *at all* what was fixed or changed and only listing files that were added or modified, which is bullshit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Installed Win 10 on Boot Camp and to my delight it boots up incredibly fast! Booting Win 10 Preview was like molasses.

Who needs Paralells when I can toggle back and forth to OS X this quickly? :)

Klocker

how is it that Chrome does swipe to go back and forward (on tablet) just fine but Edge just can not manage it? also it needs a refresh option in the context rt click menu

squall23

I'm not sure if it's been asked yet, but does anybody know how to/if I can create a Windows 10 installation media from a computer that already has Windows 10 installed?

RS4-

How can I disable the fucking popup about Updates being scheduled, etc.

It happens during the worst times, like I'm in the middle of a Dota match; I get taken back to desktop about the system being ready to install updates, blah blah.

Any way for me to just relegate it to the taskbar?

How can I disable the fucking popup about Updates being scheduled, etc.

It happens during the worst times, like I'm in the middle of a Dota match; I get taken back to desktop about the system being ready to install updates, blah blah.

Any way for me to just relegate it to the taskbar?

Maybe try this. But it is only available to professional/enterprise afaik.

I'm not sure if it's been asked yet, but does anybody know how to/if I can create a Windows 10 installation media from a computer that already has Windows 10 installed?

Yeah it doesn't "block" it or anything. I made a USB bootable from the media tool from my Windows 10 install in order to do a clean install.

raphier

Banned
What the shit, It installed a new update then after restarting the PC it began fixing C: drive and now the "explorer.exe" stopped working. The UI crashes every second it gets and start menu or any menu at that mention does not open up, also half the program icons have disappeared.

EDIT: That's it. It's unusable now after making a recovery from previous stable point. That was fun, never had this problem with previous windows'

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone had an issue where you've had to restart computer on every fresh power-up before your wifi usb dongle starts working?

So, the Mail app is really quite a downgrade, right? IE6-era red X images for missing images. Pointless transform controls on click. No way to load images. Poor email rendering. And no attachments support. Tell me improvements are on the way. It's just sad when Windows 8 had it done right for so long.

Spinifex

So, the Mail app is really quite a downgrade, right? IE6-era red X images for missing images. Pointless transform controls on click. No way to load images. Poor email rendering. And no attachments support. Tell me improvements are on the way. It's just sad when Windows 8 had it done right for so long.

Honestly so many of Microsoft's universal apps are just... terrible. I'm a big fan of the direction they took with Windows 10 but they have totally dropped the ball with their apps.

Currently only have one issue with Windows 10. Often when I finnish a game and quit the task bar refuses to show so I have to use the windows key to get my start options up. Not a big problem and maybe not an issue on Windows 10 alone but I don't remember it on 7 or 8.

I have had... uh, none of these issues with the mail app? Been using it for everything and it does splendidly.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally upgraded my main PC. I messed around with 10 for a bit on the PC I built for my dad and liked it a lot.

Upgrading from 8.1 was fast and easy as hell. I was all ready to do a fresh install but if I don't notice any issues I might not bother.

Top Bottom