• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Anyone have issues with the latest Nvidia graphics driver keep rolling back? I've had to install the new one 3 times now. Keeps going back to 353 or something when the new one is 355.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Apologies if this has been discussed already(did a search and didn't find any posts related to it), but is anyone else experiencing a bug with the Action Center where if you click on the notification it does absolutely nothing? It's kind of driving me insane and I'm seeing the issue on both my Surface 3 and my desktop.

alife

Anybody have an issue with their WiFi connection? Download speeds top out at 6mb/s then goes to 50 kb/s for no reason.

because you allow it to have so much wasted space

vkaeuWu.png

question to anyone using opera on windows 10, do the scrollbars and buttons look old style like this?

http://i.imgur.com/2UAjJUD.png

I just find it weird that it's defaulted to that. Some other minor strange decisions too like the X on the top right of windows not being red by default. I wonder if they forgot somehow or it was some weird design decision.

Mr_Zombie

So the changed right-click taskbar menu in build 10532 - they just painted it black and called it a day. It's dark-themed, like all right-click menus in taskbar and menu start, but:
- compared to jump-list menu it has smaller font, white border and doesn't have opening animation;
- compared to menu start right-click menu it smaller font, shadow and doesn't have opening animation;
- compared to desktop right-click menu it has dark theme applied;

So now on desktop alone we have not three, but four differently looking right-click menus. Not to mention, all right-click menus in system try still have the default theme applied.

I appreciate that Microsoft wants to address complains about lack of UI unification, but as it is now, it's still not enough and I have no idea why anyone thought that the system should be released in this state to Insiders at all.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm giving up on upgrading to Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 1. Downloaded the MediaCreationTool to create a bootable USB drive and I've started the installation afterwards. Upgrade stops and I get a message "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during blabla". The same shit I got when installing the Windows 10 Preview on my Surface. I solved the problem back then with creating a bootable USB drive with Rufus and settings like "GPT partition scheme for UEFI firmware". Thing is: I installed the preview on a second partition and created a dual-boot. When I try it with that Rufus stuff now I can start the Upgrade at the start of my Surface. A couple of license agreements and blabla later I get a compatibility report stating that I need to restart and launch the Upgrade from my Windows 8 Desktop, which is the thing that I've tried and mentioned here first. It looks like I'm screwed and would need to make a clean-install which I won't do just because Microsoft screws up their shit upgrade.

derFeef

I'm giving up on upgrading to Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 1. Downloaded the MediaCreationTool to create a bootable USB drive and I've started the installation afterwards. Upgrade stops and I get a message "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during blabla". The same shit I got when installing the Windows 10 Preview on my Surface. I solved the problem back then with creating a bootable USB drive with Rufus and settings like "GPT partition scheme for UEFI firmware". Thing is: I installed the preview on a second partition and created a dual-boot. When I try it with that Rufus stuff now I can start the Upgrade at the start of my Surface. A couple of license agreements and blabla later I get a compatibility report stating that I need to restart and launch the Upgrade from my Windows 8 Desktop, which is the thing that I've tried and mentioned here first. It looks like I'm screwed and would need to make a clean-install which I won't do just because Microsoft screws up their shit upgrade.

I gave up too (failed in second boot phase crap...). Maybe MS will update the installation one day so it works.

Whogie

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nvidia finally issued a driver (355.82) which makes 4K desktop at 60 hz work without flickering and mouse cursor corruption. My media PC is now back on Win10 and it's running great now.

Asus announced their compute stick at IFA.

RCPifrJ.jpg

Asus Pen Stick
Ships with Windows 10
Intel Atom Cherry Trail
Two full sized USB ports
2 GB RAM
32 GB storage
microSD support
WiFi and BT

Price is around $129-150.

Intel also announced that they're working on ComputeSticks with Core-M CPUs.

Altazor

I had the same problem with "SAFE_OS phase" thingie on my netbook. I Clean Booted my Windows 7 and used the media installation tool there and that solved - I don't know if you can do that in a Surface Pro though, I've never used one :(

so anyone here on a HD4000 or higher internal gpu having video playback issues? intel really need to step up their driver updates because right now my tablet is half useless because high bitrate video will corrupt and pause but the sound will keep playing, it's so annoying.

So many good things are happening within Microsoft, especially with WIndows 10 at the helm.

I really like that compute stick, may need to look into replacing my old laptop that's behind my TV lol.

dLMN8R

Is it unreasonable to have hoped that new Compute Sticks announced this week would come with something based on Skylake? Or is Cherry Trail already related to Skylake?

Is it unreasonable to have hoped that new Compute Sticks announced this week would come with something based on Skylake? Or is Cherry Trail already related to Skylake?

Cherry Trail is the new Atom that's also in the Surface 3. It's a big step up from the old Bay Trail Atom.

But like I said, the real killer news here is that Intel is working on Core M CPUs for Compute Sticks. You can find Core M CPUs in new, fanless Ultrabooks or the new MacBook Air and while I'm sure it still has to be throttled a lot to make it fit in that small package, it should still be a big step up from the Atom CPUs.

OneNote mobile just got an update and now you can change the thickness of the pen (you still can't change the eraser size, which is still only available on the medium size or stroke)

CaptainABAB

I know this is a Win10 thread and not about groove music, but I have to say I really like the mockups someone recently did for a music player in KDE...

Music_Mockup1a.png

Music_Mockup1b.png

I mention it here to show that it IS possible to do flat design with some color and contrast.

This probably has been asked before: With the free upgrade, am I forced to do an upgrade or can I do a clean install? If so, how would I do that?

btrboyev

How do you get this free update for a surface? Is there an option for download update or something? Just curious. I have 8.1 didn't all those products get free update to 10?

I hope you have a Pro, because the Surface RT line is not getting windows 10.

RedToad64

I know this is a Win10 thread and not about groove music, but I have to say I really like the mockups someone recently did for a music player in KDE...

I mention it here to show that it IS possible to do flat design with some color and contrast.

Looks a lot like the Zune desktop software.
I miss you, Zune...

derFeef

The newer preview build won't update on my SP3 - it just restarts after some progress. And I also can not opt out of the preview program. Seems like I need to do a clean W10 install, ugh.

Business

Is it possible to upgrade a 32bit OS to 64bit?

I get it it will need a clean install but if I create a bootable USB and I install the 64 version, will it keep my product key?

danielcw

Is it possible to upgrade a 32bit OS to 64bit?

I get it it will need a clean install but if I create a bootable USB and I install the 64 version, will it keep my product key?

AFAIK it is officially not possible.
Upgrade once on the same platform, to activate the key. then you try a clean install, or maybe an install that saves your data

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone using the Creative Sound Blaster Z on Windows 10? How is it? Are the drivers working perfectly? I'm currently using a Creative XtremeGamer and I'm having some audio popping in games, and Creative support basically told me the card is old, don't expect much more support so I'm thinking about grabbing the SBZ which is £50 on Amazon if you get the OEM version. Side question, will it be a noticeable upgrade over XG? I assume so as it's 7 year old newer tech but I have no idea, I just want a crystal clear microphone and sound for gaming.

Just switched. Wouldn't have been fun without a slight hiccup at the installation phase: got an error every time I chose any of my drives to install. Ended up finding a random solution related to boot priority.

Anyway, so far so good. Downloads are faster and Steam no longer suffers from going to 0 bytes/s every few seconds while downloading shit.

Still have the same issues with personalization options: too tablet-y. I wanted to see cool, animated wallpapers and other visual improvements. The average machine can handle it. Instead, it went backwards.

Condom

Just switched. Wouldn't have been fun without a slight hiccup at the installation phase: got an error every time I chose any of my drives to install. Ended up finding a random solution related to boot priority.

Anyway, so far so good. Downloads are faster and Steam no longer suffers from going to 0 bytes/s every few seconds while downloading shit.

Still have the same issues with personalization options: too tablet-y. I wanted to see cool, animated wallpapers and other visual improvements. The average machine can handle it. Instead, it went backwards.

Animated wallpapers are supported AFAIK, they were there naively in 7

Top Bottom