• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

I used win 8 on my aunt's new laptop in order to fix a few things for her.
Metro is shit. I'm no designer but seriously, there's so much wrong with that interface. Lots of wasted space, unintuitive and useless non touch screen interfaces.

The main problem I have with 8.1 (after using it for less than a day) is that they don't give visual cues for all the hidden interactions. Am I just supposed to guess how to close a "Metro" app? A hidden swiping gesture with a mouse is a horrible design. Is it really that hard to stick in a close button for mouse users?

On the other hand, I love how fast and lively it all feels.

It is a good step in the right direction but they have done a pretty poor job combining "Metro" and the desktop. Baby steps I guess.

From what I understand, you're not "supposed' to have to close apps. When a Metro app isn't active, it "hibernates"...I think. Someone smarter than me should probably answer.

The only time I close Metro apps is if there is a problem with one of them or I have a ton of them opened and I'm paranoid.

optimiss

From what I understand, you're not "supposed' to have to close apps. When a Metro app isn't active, it "hibernates"...I think. Someone smarter than me should probably answer.

The only time I close Metro apps is if there is a problem with one of them or I have a ton of them opened and I'm paranoid.

Yeah, that is true, it does manage them for you. Regardless, bad UX is bad UX.

I hate windows 8, 8.1. Worst thing ever.

And now just installing office 365 I notice how the cursor glides in word instead of jumping like it should. FUCK THIS NOISE.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I hate windows 8, 8.1. Worst thing ever.

And now just installing office 365 I notice how the cursor glides in word instead of jumping like it should. FUCK THIS NOISE.

I don't even know what this means, but 365 is one of the best software suites I have ever used.

Oriel

The main problem I have with 8.1 (after using it for less than a day) is that they don't give visual cues for all the hidden interactions. Am I just supposed to guess how to close a "Metro" app? A hidden swiping gesture with a mouse is a horrible design. Is it really that hard to stick in a close button for mouse users?

It is a good step in the right direction but they have done a pretty poor job combining "Metro" and the desktop. Baby steps I guess.

Why does Microsoft do this crap? Desktop and tablet devices have completely different user requirements. They don't need to have a one for all solution for desktop and mobile FFS.

I have it both on my desktop and laptop (for a few weeks now) and it is still frustrating and not very intuitive.

cbox

8.1 takes you through the steps of navigating the UI. 8 did this also to a point, though it was pretty short. Honestly, once you learn how to navigate the OS it's a dream to use. Super fast, and snapping apps is great.

If you don't like metro apps, nobody is forcing you to use them - desktop mode is still there. I think too many people forget that.

Just got my first windows 8 computer a few weeks ago. Took me about 20 minutes to get used to what's where. I love the fucking thing. Love Windows 8. Love love love. Now get rid of the ancient desktop mode altogether.

What I find annoying is that you need to manually tell each program to open in desktop mode instead of metro mode. If I'm on the desktop and I click on an MP3, I want to just run music on media player or vlc in the background, not in some metro app that has 1/2 the functionality. So that's annoying so far.

santi_yo

Ok, a whole day working with W8 and all I can say is that I like it. I was afraid of it, but it resulted to be a good experience so far.

diaspora

What I find annoying is that you need to manually tell each program to open in desktop mode instead of metro mode. If I'm on the desktop and I click on an MP3, I want to just run music on media player or vlc in the background, not in some metro app that has 1/2 the functionality. So that's annoying so far.

It's possible to just uninstall the metro music and video apps if you're not going to use them.

You can set your default application for any file type.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Setting up default applications for file types is something I have been doing at least since XP.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ever since I updated my Surface Pro 2 to 8.1 I can't get the on-screen keyboard to stop appearing when I have the keyboard attached. Any tips?

MCD

Fz6XMVL.jpg

Microsoft is improving Windows in Update 1 so that the Metro environment works better with traditional PC hardware. And while these improvements will take many forms, some subtle, some not, I can confirm one new feature: Metro apps will now include a close box, similar to that seen on desktop applications, which can be clicked with a mouse so that the app closes completely.

I'm also hearing about some other major changes to Metro from a mouse-user's perspective, but since I haven't been able to confirm them with other sources yet, I'll hold off until I can do so.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-update-1-preview-now-more-integration

Not sure where else to mention this, but it looks as though SkyDrive Web Apps have received an update, at least to their formatting. Not sure if there is any functionality change.

Nothing on the SkyDrive blog since last November :-|

Ataraxia

I'm starting to get used to it but I hate how viewing PDF files completly takes up the entire screen now and is much slower than in previous Windows versions.

Azih

I'm starting to get used to it but I hate how viewing PDF files completly takes up the entire screen now and is much slower than in previous Windows versions.

I replaced the default PDF reader with Foxit and the default image viewer (which is pure shit) with the old desktop picture viewer.

Ataraxia

How is it "much slower?"

Windows never had a built in PDF reader before Win8...

Maybe not much slower, but in older versions, clicking on a PDF file would open it in a seperate window with Acrobat. Now, clicking a PDF file opens some type of app that takes up the entire screen I have to stare at while the document loads. Then once the file opens the only way I know how to get out of it is to move my cursor to the top left in order to minimize it and get back to my desktop. I'm still learning Windows 8 so maybe there is a way to change this but in the meantime I find it frustrating.

cbox

Maybe not much slower, but in older versions, clicking on a PDF file would open it in a seperate window with Acrobat. Now, clicking a PDF file opens some type of app that takes up the entire screen I have to stare at while the document loads. Then once the file opens the only way I know how to get out of it is to move my cursor to the top left in order to minimize it and get back to my desktop. I'm still learning Windows 8 so maybe there is a way to change this but in the meantime I find it frustrating.

Umm, earlier versions of windows never came with a PDF reader - you must have installed acrobat separately. Just do the same with windows 8...

Umm, earlier versions of windows never came with a PDF reader - you must have installed acrobat separately. Just do the same with windows 8...

Yup, pretty much this. And the PDF Reader, just like every other Modern program, prompts if you want to change to alternative on first start / after you have installed new apps that can handle the filetype you are using :)

Seth C

Can't you just right-click and close?

Anyone here have experience with both the Venue 11 Pro and Surface 2 Pro?

I'm trying to decide between the 256 Surface 2 Pro or the Venue w/ 8GBs of RAM.

I'm mostly be using it for recreation/dev stuff.

Keyouta

Alright, guys, I need a hopefully simple solution to a problem, it is a little annoying. I constantly get in computers people bring to me to fix, and all the computers on 8 I'm upgrading to 8.1.

The 8.1 update always takes so damn long through the Windows Store, so is there a way I can get the 8.1 upgrade on a usb stick so that I don't have to go through the incredibly long download process each time? Pro and Home. It's crazy that if the computer turns off during like the 4 four download, it has to start all over again.

I've looked through sites online, but if I could get a nice answer here it would be appreciated!

TL;DR: I want the Windows 8.1 update on a usb stick so that I can load it to systems quickly, instead of having to download it through the Windows Store which takes hours. How would I go about doing this?

Keyouta

http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...-install-windows-8-1-from-a-usb-stick-1208597

Would this work? Seems stupidly complicated and I really hope MS goes back to a more standard approach. The Store is fine for app updates, OS updates not so much.

No, that's great and all for retail software, but it doesn't work for OEMs. I want to download the upgrade once, and then I can install it onto machines with a usb drive. 10 computers with Windows 8 for example, so right now I'm downloading 10 copies of 8.1 through the store: that's like 30GB, it's a pain.

stktt

Banned
Is it really that difficult to find the power button or start typing to search for something? Sure, you need an initial five minutes to acclimate yourself to the new environment, but it's not like accessing those options from the charms bar is any more obtuse than shoving them in a tiny, nested menu. If you do feel the need to accommodate people who are overwhelmed by performing tasks that requires the same number of clicks as of 8.1, couldn't it be included as a tile like the settings app?

Adding a persistent clock, calendar, network indicator, and power status will probably be the next thing that gets "fixed". At this rate, Metro will barely exist in Windows 9 and I'll end up moving back to Linux. :/

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will love these updates.

maeh2k

Apparently people had no trouble at all shutting down their system via the 'Start' button of all places, but using the actual power button (like they do on their tablets and phones) is just too much to ask for...

Maybe they should just give mouse users a persistent task bar again.

Massa

Apparently people had no trouble at all shutting down their system via the 'Start' button of all places, but using the actual power button (like they do on their tablets and phones) is just too much to ask for...

The reason they don't have a problem on their phone and tablets is because those devices offer a consistent experience, while Windows 8 is a bad combination of old and new, where you're switching from one environment to the other all the time.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

It is most likely many people are conditioned from old days to not use the power button to shut down. And if they can't find the default shutdown spot, I question whether they can find where to change the power button function. Hell, they could simply make an /s shortcut and pin it as a giant fuckin tile for them in the center of their screen to click.. but this is clearly a different gen of users.

According to Thurrott, the changes are being aimed at enterprise users. A lot of businesses use desktops where the box is difficult to access, or even completely inaccessible (e.g. locked in a cage), so using a hardware button is not an option in this case.

I have never understood how the power button is in a hard place. Top right corner, settings, power. Less than a second to reach from any place.

I'm an expert

I have never understood how the power button is in a hard place. Top right corner, settings, power. Less than a second to reach from any place.

It's because it's different, man! It's not the same place it has always been. It takes AT LEAST an extra millisecond to get to it. Therefore, in conclusion, it is terrible.

Pooya

Might as well bring up the taskbar over star screen now too, you can do it with startisbackplus, feels/works well, the feel of 'going to another fullscreen' completely goes away with that.

Top Bottom