• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Heysoos

Got a new lappy and am tying to update it to 8.1.
Blasted thing doesn't even start downloading any KBs, what gives? SHould I restart my laptop and try again?

I had this happen with my dad's laptop, for some reason it didn't want to start over Wifi, as soon as I connected it via ethernet, it downloaded a lot faster. That said, I don't remember if that fixed it or the fact that I reset it.

Tizoc

I had this happen with my dad's laptop, for some reason it didn't want to start over Wifi, as soon as I connected it via ethernet, it downloaded a lot faster. That said, I don't remember if that fixed it or the fact that I reset it.

Hmm interesting, I'll connect an ethernet cable soon and see if that'll fix it, thanks.

Tizoc

Well it finished downloading the 1 GB update, new updates showed up so hoepfully it'll get them download soon and installed. Wanna get this out of the way so I can start getting programs in it along with transferring stuff from my old lappy.

Tizoc

Well Windows 8.1 is up and running but I've got a few questions:

Thebottom right 'button' is the Show Desktop action, in Windows 8 it was wider, but Windows 8.1 made it very thin, how do I make it the same size as 7 or 8?

When I delete an Item from my desktop or folders it doesn't ask me if I want to actually delete it or not like in previous Windows, how do I change this?

Burger

Here is a question, why does my Windows 8.1 PC insist on waking up at around 4 in the morning?

I have to shut it down totally, or else at about 4am all the fans kick off for a few seconds while it wakes up, which wakes me up.

Hellcrow

Here is a question, why does my Windows 8.1 PC insist on waking up at around 4 in the morning?

I have to shut it down totally, or else at about 4am all the fans kick off for a few seconds while it wakes up, which wakes me up.

Could be windows defender being scheduled for a scan. Check your scanning programs.

Well Windows 8.1 is up and running but I've got a few questions:

Thebottom right 'button' is the Show Desktop action, in Windows 8 it was wider, but Windows 8.1 made it very thin, how do I make it the same size as 7 or 8?

When I delete an Item from my desktop or folders it doesn't ask me if I want to actually delete it or not like in previous Windows, how do I change this?

I think it's the same size as of Windows 7 or 8...

Secondly, if you're deleting using the delete button on the KB or using the right-mouse button and selecting delete, it won't ask you.

However, if you press SHIFT+DEL, it will then ask you if you want to delete it permanently, else it'll only move things to the recycle bin.

Tizoc

I think it's the same size as of Windows 7 or 8...

Secondly, if you're deleting using the delete button on the KB or using the right-mouse button and selecting delete, it won't ask you.

However, if you press SHIFT+DEL, it will then ask you if you want to delete it permanently, else it'll only move things to the recycle bin.

Ugh really MS? What if I accidentally deleted something by mistake? I may not bother to check the Recycle bin and may delete an important file.
Gonna ask MS directly about this, there has to be a way to turn it back to the original option.
EDIT: AHA FOUND IT!
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-delete-confirmation-dialog-box-in-windows-8/
http://www.nextofwindows.com/windows-8-tip-enabledisable-file-delete-confirmation-dialog-box/

Quentyn

Look for Automatic Maintenance in the Action Center and change the settings there. I had the same issue and it went away when I did that.

Burger

Could be windows defender being scheduled for a scan. Check your scanning programs.

Look for Automatic Maintenance in the Action Center and change the settings there. I had the same issue and it went away when I did that.

Thanks I'll check those out. Bizzare that Windows assumes either of these things is okay to do. The only time I want my PC to wake up is when I tell it to, like my Mac.

dLMN8R

No, starting with Windows 8 it defaults to not waking up your computer for maintenance or updates.

The biggest offender I've seen is some Intel networking driver. See if you have an Intel networking adapter in device manager, go to its properties, Power Management tab, and disable its ability to wake the computer.

so, i had some problems when using 8.1 that made me go back to W7. If any of you guys know a way to fix them, i would gladly go back to 8.1
PS: Sorry if my english is sorta bad.
1)I like using dark colors on the interface, like black. problem is, on W7 the font that describes the items on the taskbar would change its color depending on which color you chose. on 8.1, it would stay black, making it very difficult to read.

2) still today, you cant use PNG wallpapers on W7 without their quality getting worse by being converted on the fly to JPG, but on 8.1, they did the opposite: Now you can only use PNG, and JPG gets worse quality. So, if someone wants to use more than one wallpaper, converting the images to PNG would be needed, and depending on the image, the size could double, or even triple.

maeh2k

Paul Thurrott on Windows 9: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

"Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public, and the latest release, Windows 8.1, which is a substantial and free upgrade with major improvements over the original release, is in use on less than 25 million PCs at the moment."

"Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good."

Wow. That's really, really bad.

Edit: does that line up with the netmarketshare numbers we have? I thought 8.1's share was growing at a decent rate now (even though few people upgraded from 8 to 8.1)

Edit2: added another quote

Paul Thurrott on Windows 9: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

"Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public, and the latest release, Windows 8.1, which is a substantial and free upgrade with major improvements over the original release, is in use on less than 25 million PCs at the moment."

"Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good."

Edit: does that line up with the netmarketshare numbers we have? I thought 8.1's share was growing at a decent rate now (even though few people upgraded from 8 to 8.1)

Latest marketshare numbers I could find

maeh2k

I suspect the 25 million refers to actual upgrades from 8 to 8.1 meaning that virtually no one makes use of the free upgrade.
Even though it's pretty simple the average user has no idea it exists and wouldn't dare to install it (and couldn't deal with possible complications).

If Microsoft wants more people to use their latest OS they need to make the upgrade process like on a phone, where the device tells you directly that a free upgrade is available and applies it entirely without user input. Of course, for Windows that a lot harder to do than for a phone.

Nander

Even though it's pretty simple the average user has no idea it exists and wouldn't dare to install it (and couldn't deal with possible complications).

How is that even possible? My HTPC keeps bugging me about upgrading to 8.1 every 5th boot or so, I don't understand how anyone running Win8 could miss that 8.1 exists. (I have no interest in upgrading the HTPC, it boots directly into XBMC anyway and everything works as it should with Win8 running in the background).

I suspect the 25 million refers to actual upgrades from 8 to 8.1 meaning that virtually no one makes use of the free upgrade.

If Microsoft wants more people to use their latest OS they need to make the upgrade process like on a phone, where the device tells you directly that a free upgrade is available and applies it entirely without user input. Of course, for Windows that a lot harder to do than for a phone.
Yeah the update process isn't ideal.
How is that even possible? My HTPC keeps bugging me about upgrading to 8.1 every 5th boot or so, I don't understand how anyone running Win8 could miss that 8.1 exists. (I have no interest in upgrading the HTPC, it boots directly into XBMC anyway and everything works as it should with Win8 running in the background).
Well that's good that it at least reminds you, I didn't even know it did that.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, that figure sounds like bollocks no matter what.

Maybe he means in the US. That would be quite good, though maybe a bit on the high side. 10 million PCs were shipped in the US in Q4, plus the upgrades, well perhaps.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Watch Windows 9 be 8.1 with modern on desktop, start screen optional with redesigned modern start menu, UI improvements like not having store updates and windows update be separate, finally replacing Vista icons with modern, and some unknown neat features. Like 7 felt like Vista SP3 with some features, I suspect 9 will feel like 8.2/8.3. At least 8 is fast.

What does it mean by set Microsoft back? Enterprise that doesn't use 8 uses 7. They're not switching to OSX or Linux if they hadn't already used that. How are 2-in-1s doing? Maybe I'm drinking the MS kool aid, but I don't see the point of high end tablets or laptops anymore. 2-in-1s replace each of those devices with something that's better.

OK . . . I wanna rant here.

Windows 8.1 is the worst MS OS since Windows ME. And yes, that means it is worse than Vista.

What a shitty OS. Playing hide & go seek with all the tools people can use to adjust doesn't make the OS better . . . it just makes it more annoying.

I know someone that played around with Windows 8 and then when they had to buy a PC, they looked all over the place for a way to buy a new PC that would come with Windows 7 so they could avoid the shit that Windows 8 is.

diaspora

OK . . . I wanna rant here.

Windows 8.1 is the worst MS OS since Windows ME. And yes, that means it is worse than Vista.

What a shitty OS. Playing hide & go seek with all the tools people can use to adjust doesn't make the OS better . . . it just makes it more annoying.

I know someone that played around with Windows 8 and then when they had to buy a PC, they looked all over the place for a way to buy a new PC that would come with Windows 7 so they could avoid the shit that Windows 8 is.

Considering that I've had 0 issues finding anything, I feel like the problem lies with the user here.

rrs

XP -> Vista/7 did the same thing with moving things around, and even more so than it to 8. Also the 8.1 upgrade numbers seem to come from it being a pain in the ass to install.

Blablurn

No problems with win8. I love how it looks and how it feels. No idea why people hate it ao much. Im using it since day 1 already. No problems.

I hear platform vendors are taking down all mobile devices, chromebooks, and PCs off of the store shelves as we speak. Dev excitement and interest in Win32/64 is through the roof.

spwolf

Considering that I've had 0 issues finding anything, I feel like the problem lies with the user here.

well, it is pretty silly that they give you 2 sets of tools - RT and Desktop, so if you by mistake launch RT version, it looks ugly and has only half of the options, plus you cant use classic windows controls like right click... for instance, wifi tool that uses sidebar doesnt have usual Windows options, like right clicking for adjusting options.

So instead of simply right clicking and selecting one of the options for connection, you have to launch management tool directly by typing its name.

This like that are just stupid and annoy the heck out of people.

EGM92

I have about 12$ in converted MS points in my account, I won't be going to an MS platform other than Windows (no WP8/Xbone). Are there any apps that are must haves/worth buying?

jsrv

That article says that development hasn't started for Windows 9 yet (starts april this year and releases april next year). That means less than 12 months development time right? Does that mean we should not expect massive sweeping changes?

spwolf

Watch Windows 9 be 8.1 with modern on desktop, start screen optional with redesigned modern start menu, UI improvements like not having store updates and windows update be separate, finally replacing Vista icons with modern, and some unknown neat features. Like 7 felt like Vista SP3 with some features, I suspect 9 will feel like 8.2/8.3. At least 8 is fast.

What does it mean by set Microsoft back? Enterprise that doesn't use 8 uses 7. They're not switching to OSX or Linux if they hadn't already used that. How are 2-in-1s doing? Maybe I'm drinking the MS kool aid, but I don't see the point of high end tablets or laptops anymore. 2-in-1s replace each of those devices with something that's better.

as usual, he is trying to be sensationalist... They need to clean up 8 more... 8.1 is good step but needs to go to 8.2 or 8.3 before it works for users.

I just got Toshiba Encore, and works surprising well (8" full Win 8.1), ONLY annoying thing on it so far is Windows not giving you clear options of RT and Desktop. First desktop is not an icon at all, unless you turn it on and then RT IE disappears if you use Desktop IE. I want to use both RT and Desktop here, and so do others who purchased 8.1 tablet... if they wanted some stupid simple crap they would have bought Android.

They are just confusing and annoying people thinking they have to attract new group of users, instead of thinking that they need to keep their own users (which are 90%).

But sure, even at small 8" screen, desktop works great with touch... awesome even.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
as usual, he is trying to be sensationalist... They need to clean up 8 more... 8.1 is good step but needs to go to 8.2 or 8.3 before it works for users.

I just got Toshiba Encore, and works surprising well (8" full Win 8.1), ONLY annoying thing on it so far is Windows not giving you clear options of RT and Desktop. First desktop is not an icon at all, unless you turn it on and then RT IE disappears if you use Desktop IE. I want to use both RT and Desktop here, and so do others who purchased 8.1 tablet... if they wanted some stupid simple crap they would have bought Android.

They are just confusing and annoying people thinking they have to attract new group of users, instead of thinking that they need to keep their own users (which are 90%).

But sure, even at small 8" screen, desktop works great with touch... awesome even.

Desktop has an icon.. there by default for me since the beginning. And how does metro ie disappear? It's right there for me..I can have both open side by side doing two completely different things. What the hell are you people talking about??!!

Laranja

Guys, I've been using Windows 8 for a few months and I'm very happy with it; it runs pretty well and the initial usability issues I had with it are long gone.

Thing is, when 8.1 was released I installed it and it slowed my computer to a crawl. The boot time was considerably longer and everything felt a lot more sluggish, like there was a one second input delay. I couldn't find any solutions to that problem, and since they were keeping me from doing my job properly, I had to revert back to 8.0.

Do any of you know if this was just a rare and strange problem that occurred during installation, or was it a common and wide-spread issue? Would it be safe to upgrade now, or am I better off just sticking with 8?

54-46!

I played around with the OS for an hour or so, is there any reason to use Metro if you keep all your programs (shortcuts) on the desktop?

Seems like you can get to all the key system level stuff from the right click start menu.

Azih

I use Metro to quickly browse email and check the weather. Whenever I use netflix on my PC I prefer doing it through Metro as well.

Not applicable to your case but I prefer launching by typing as compared to desktop shorcuts My desktop is empty except for the recycle bin

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I played around with the OS for an hour or so, is there any reason to use Metro if you keep all your programs (shortcuts) on the desktop?

Seems like you can get to all the key system level stuff from the right click start menu.

Besides that you wouldn't be able to use the win8 app versions, technically no. But my question would be..why? I use the metro start screen as my new desktop. It is where I launch and coordinate all my applications, including desktop versions. I don't even go into original Windows desktop anymore for anything. Sure, when I launch Excel it'll pop up in desktop, but that's about it.

When I first got the machine I treated it like old Windows and started setting up file management and shortcuts and all sorts of dumb shit that I realized, after a few days with the machine, were completely pointless. If I want something, I start typing and there it is. Or I go into Skydrive where everything is automatically managed. All of my shortcuts are on a flexible and extremely accessible live tile screen, why would I go another layer below to double click some icon on an old desktop?

I realize some people want to useWin8 like any other Windows, but if you let the mentality go you'll see that there's a new, fresh, and much quicker way of using a desktop waiting for you. Let go.

That article says that development hasn't started for Windows 9 yet (starts april this year and releases april next year). That means less than 12 months development time right? Does that mean we should not expect massive sweeping changes?
It'll be a year development just like 8.1 is. Naming it 9 instead of 8.2 is a marketing decision.

Just upgraded after using 7 since day one. Metro takes a little getting used to but as said before everything is accessible and easily accessed. Give yourself an hour with the basics and you will be impressed with how much better the overall experience is.

MS should have advertised the hell out of the ease of use of this OS.

SPDIF

Just upgraded after using 7 since day one. Metro takes a little getting used to but as said before everything is accessible and easily accessed. Give yourself an hour with the basics and you will be impressed with how much better the overall experience is.

MS should have advertised the hell out of the ease of use of this OS.

That's a bit of a problem with your average user.

hadareud

The Translator
Why? If someone buys a new tablet, phone etc. they'll play around with it for hours to learn the basics.

Why should it be different on a PC with a new OS? Things change. Android 4.3 is nothing like Android 1.6, I don't hear any moaning from the average user about that. If you move from a laptop to a macbook you'll have to spend more than just an hour to familiarise yourself with the basics, such is life.

I think it's time to move on and for those that don't want to, well they can keep using whatever they are using and keep living in their little bubble where the good old days were always better.

SPDIF

Why? If someone buys a new tablet, phone etc. they'll play around with it for hours to learn the basics.

Why should it be different on a PC with a new OS? Things change. Android 4.3 is nothing like Android 1.6, I don't hear any moaning from the average user about that. If you move from a laptop to a macbook you'll have to spend more than just an hour to familiarise yourself with the basics, such is life.

I think it's time to move on and for those that don't want to, well they can keep using whatever they are using and keep living in their little bubble where the good old days were always better.

I agree. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah I know, didn't want to rant at you, you were an easy victim.

It's just annoying that for some reason change is something inherently bad and evil on a PC OS while it is seen as welcome progress on any other device.

It's time to stop catering to the moaners and move on.

DedValve

Banned

I think thats because most UI changes on Android where meaningful, at least going by the comparison pictures of android changes over the years.

To me win8 was just in the way most of the time, I had an easier time getting used to Mac OSX (minus finder) than I did windows 8. It just felt cumbersome and not really relevant.

I'm glad you got it to work for you but theres a reason why Win8 is not pulling Win7 like numbers or anywhere near that and why it has such bad press against it.

Hasney

Ahahaha oh god.

Screenshot.277513.1000001.jpg

GET THE MONSTER MAN

diaspora

well, it is pretty silly that they give you 2 sets of tools - RT and Desktop, so if you by mistake launch RT version, it looks ugly and has only half of the options, plus you cant use classic windows controls like right click... for instance, wifi tool that uses sidebar doesnt have usual Windows options, like right clicking for adjusting options.

I uninstalled them. "Problem" gone.

pestul

I just put a SSD in my laptop and upgraded to 8.1.. dang. Amazing performance. I knew it was good from my desktop already in the same configuration, but I didn't expect the boost to be 'that' much.

optimiss

The main problem I have with 8.1 (after using it for less than a day) is that they don't give visual cues for all the hidden interactions. Am I just supposed to guess how to close a "Metro" app? A hidden swiping gesture with a mouse is a horrible design. Is it really that hard to stick in a close button for mouse users?

On the other hand, I love how fast and lively it all feels.

It is a good step in the right direction but they have done a pretty poor job combining "Metro" and the desktop. Baby steps I guess.

Top Bottom