• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

jsrv

From the OP:
After I upgrade, can I use my old Windows version on a separate partition or on another PC? Can I give it away or sell it?

No. The upgrade replaces the old license completely.

So if I won't be able to downgrade back out of Windows 8 after upgrading if I decide it's not for me without buying another copy?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I have everything running up to my liking...and now I have a question.

I am thinking of buying a new Tablet... couple of questions I am fuzzy on...

If I get a Windows 8 tablet, do the same apps on my desktop work on the tablet?

Or do I have to re-buy them? Download tablet specific ones?

Are achievements in the games shared?

I am assuming yes on all of this...but yeah...unsure.

kinggroin

Banned

Non RT tablet will allow desktop applications, yes. You can also use the tablet optimized apps in the metro store as well.

Achievements are all sync'd to whatever Xbox live account you use per game. You will be asked to enter the e-mail address for every new live enabled game you play.

MCD

ibjTvbjKUtj0Kt.jpg

dejay

Banned
Is the new start screen really supposed to take over on the desktop?

No. As a desktop user that doesn't make any sense. It has some valuable things that will only get more valuable over time, but for a lot of people, it will be an enhanced start menu, which is what MS have said all along. You'd use it more if you had a laptop or hybrid with a touch screen and of course you'd use it most of all when using a tablet. I have a Surface so I'm starting to share a lot of apps between it and my desktop machine. This is where the MS strategy of a hybrid OS for a heap of different devices becomes useful.

As you've already surmised, it's best to keep a small selection of daily desktop programs pinned to your taskbar, keep a larger selection of other weekly (and metro) programs pinned to your start screen and trim the rest off, using the excellent search for stuff you don't use very often. Spending 30 seconds every other day trimming the start screen keeps it neat and useful - a lot of it is just fluff on a desktop machine.

As an example of search, I never even try and find the control panel any more - simply searching for the word "printer" for example quickly brings up anything I'd ever want to do with a printer in order of relevance. Want to change the mouse pointer? Just type "pointer". I don't miss the start menu one bit and hate working on my XP machine at work.

Will the desktop be phased out for Windows 9? Perhaps, but my guess would be Windows 10 at the earliest.

SUPARSTARX

I pretty much disabled mine and have the classic UI setup and autologging in. Everything's back to normal. I do NOT miss Aero (Win 7) one bit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I have an annoying problem, my xbox live account is on my old hotmail address, because thats what i used to sign up for it back when live first became available. Thats what my gamertag name is associated with. All the other microsoft services I use are on my gmail address, because I wanted to consolidate everything to that address. Its beyond annoying that I cant consolidate those 2 accounts together, and even more so in Windows 8 because it wants to link everything to that microsoft account.

After a few days of playing around with both profiles trying to get things to line up right, i finally just gave up and made a local profile and have just been going through and signing into things like Live, skybox and such manually with the correct accounts.

Zizbuka

Banned
Anyone dual boot this with Ubuntu?

Any issues with boot managers, or the secure boot crap, etc? Thinking about getting the $40 deal, but not if it's going to not play nice with Ubuntu.

I'm tri-booting Win7, Win8 and Ubuntu. At first it used the Win8 boot manager, which worked but was very slow. Next time I booted to Win7, it started using the Win7 boot manager and has since. Much faster and cleaner. I've had no issues booting into any of the 3.

I like what Microsoft has done in regards to gaming on Windows 8, well, 90% of it. Most of the complaints about GFWL have been rectified. You're able to sign in on Windows 8 and your Xbox at the same time, you are not forced to download a patch (if one is available) in order to remain signed into LIVE, there are no instances of required system restarts (from what I have seen anyway), downloads are fairly quick.

With that said, I believe it could use some sort of overlay or something in which you could interact with your LIVE friends. Why don't I appear online? Why can't I chat with them? Why can't I see what they're doing at a glance? Granted, I could start up the "Games" app and scroll through, but that isn't a perfect solution. I know GFWL gets a lot of shit, however, I am of the opinion that some features should have been salvaged for Windows 8. Also, please, lets have something other than casual games.

One thing that bothers me about Xbox, GFWL and Xbox Live (W8) is the lack of a detailed view of how a download is progressing. Why must I watch a bar go across the screen without knowing what the actual speed is? If it's possible to see in Windows 8, I'd love to know how.

*One more thing. Basically all of the games being made with touch controls in mind is quite annoying. I bought Toy Soldiers and had a horrid time playing it. You're forced to scroll around the map by clicking and hold LMB, instead of simply moving the mouse to the edge of the screen or using WASD. Sure, in this instance it had "Touch Edition" in the title, but would it really have been so had to optimize it even just a little for mouse + keyboard?

xJavonta

Banned
I pretty much disabled mine and have the classic UI setup and autologging in. Everything's back to normal. I do NOT miss Aero (Win 7) one bit.
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I liked Aero, but this is just so much cleaner and fast. I love the way the new explorer looks and operates.

I like what Microsoft has done in regards to gaming on Windows 8, well, 90% of it. Most of the complaints about GFWL have been rectified. You're able to sign in on Windows 8 and your Xbox at the same time, you are not forced to download a patch (if one is available) in order to remain signed into LIVE, there are no instances of required system restarts (from what I have seen anyway), downloads are fairly quick.

With that said, I believe it could use some sort of overlay or something in which you could interact with your LIVE friends. Why don't I appear online? Why can't I chat with them? Why can't I see what they're doing at a glance? Granted, I could start up the "Games" app and scroll through, but that isn't a perfect solution. I know GFWL gets a lot of shit, however, I am of the opinion that some features should have been salvaged for Windows 8. Also, please, lets have something other than casual games.

One thing that bothers me about Xbox, GFWL and Xbox Live (W8) is the lack of a detailed view of how a download is progressing. Why must I watch a bar go across the screen without knowing what the actual speed is? If it's possible to see in Windows 8, I'd love to know how.

*One more thing. Basically all of the games being made with touch controls in mind is quite annoying. I bought Toy Soldiers and had a horrid time playing it. You're forced to scroll around the map by clicking and hold LMB, instead of simply moving the mouse to the edge of the screen or using WASD. Sure, in this instance it had "Touch Edition" in the title, but would it really have been so had to optimize it even just a little for mouse + keyboard?
Yeah Live integration is kind of half-assed. You get achievements but that's about it. I'd love to be able to join parties and do a bunch of dashboard stuff in game from an overlay.

How are the ATI drivers in Windows 8? I'm curious about upgrading after playing with a Surface at the mall yesterday, but since my PC is mostly used for gaming I'll hold off if the drivers aren't up to par with what I have with 7.

New random issue:

World of WarCraft isn't showing up on the taskbar. It's the only program/game/whatever to do so. I can stil alt+tab to it, but it simply doesn't show up.

Anyone run into this with any other program, game or WoW itself?

Wazzim

Banned
I remember reading something on GAF about not being able to have the desktop in one screen and the start screen in the other? I just tried it out and it works fine for me.

Dunlop

I remember reading something on GAF about not being able to have the desktop in one screen and the start screen in the other? I just tried it out and it works fine for me.

You can have it on both but as soon as you click on anything the start screen will close. I would love to have the start screen always active on one of my monitors.

I still work this way, I installed start8 and do all my normal work on my left screen while running metro items on the right

I already bought the upgrade for Windows 8, but possibly short-sighted. I wanted to use this time to upgrade to a solid-state drive as well, but apparently the upgrade is only to replace the current installation? Would my only option be to reinstall Windows 7 on the SSD, then upgrade to Windows 8? I know the Windows 7 installation isn't supposed to be accessible after the upgrade and certainly there is a less messy workaround, right?

t-ramp

I already bought the upgrade for Windows 8, but possibly short-sighted. I wanted to use this time to upgrade to a solid-state drive as well, but apparently the upgrade is only to replace the current installation? Would my only option be to reinstall Windows 7 on the SSD, then upgrade to Windows 8? I know the Windows 7 installation isn't supposed to be accessible after the upgrade and certainly there is a less messy workaround, right?
A fairly simple method that should work is just installing either Windows 7 or 8 once, and then installing 8 again over whichever OS you just installed. There is a registry key/command line method as well that might work.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

A fairly simple method that should work is just installing either Windows 7 or 8 once, and then installing 8 again over whichever OS you just installed. There is a registry key/command line method as well that might work.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

I am aware of the ethically-gray area of registry hacking it. As long as it still works without problem, it will be my plan B. What I'm thinking is, what if I did end up installing the upgrade on my current hard drive. How would I move to an SSD later? At this point, wouldn't the upgrade mean nothing since I already had it running?

t-ramp

I am aware of the ethically-gray area of registry hacking it. As long as it still works without problem, it will be my plan B. What I'm thinking is, what if I did end up installing the upgrade on my current hard drive. How would I move to an SSD later? At this point, wouldn't the upgrade mean nothing since I already had it running?
It shouldn't be an issue. The upgrade is the full operating system, just with different activation criteria. You can call Microsoft to sort out any issues you might encounter, but it should activate fine considering it's the same PC aside from the drive. I've reinstalled my Windows 7 upgrade disc multiple times on my laptop and have had it activate fine automatically.

sca2511

Windows 8 seems to be making my laptop run a bit hotter. Could be a driver issue, but it's weird to hear the fans come on when I'm just using it casually.

Nero3000

Windows 8 seems to be making my laptop run a bit hotter. Could be a driver issue, but it's weird to hear the fans come on when I'm just using it casually.

Check the graphics drivers. Sometimes the generic ones won't downclock the GPU during low usage.

derExperte

Check the graphics drivers. Sometimes the generic ones won't downclock the GPU during low usage.

And AMDs 12.10 WHQL driver have a bug, they don't clock down the memory of some cards. Don't know if this applies to mobile chips as well and if you even have AMD in your laptop but if yes, try 12.11 Beta 6.

daviyoung

Banned
I've been messing around with W8 on my laptop for a few days now and I'm liking it. I think it's perfect for usual desktop usage. Haven't had a chance to try all my programs but the ones I've tried so far (zip, java, steam) seem to work fine.

I'm loving the start screen, which is basically its own OS. It's so clean and useful, with all the standard stuff I expect and some of the apps are fantastic. For average home use for the casual tab/transformer user this is a really great OS, especially with the Office suite. A lot of the apps available for free are actually useful, informative and user-friendly.

My main problem is with the Desktop, which most of us here will be using. The set design for it reminds me of W3.11, very basic, archaic window styles. I like how they designed it to appear so simple though. The rest, including content, folder structure etc is similar to W7.

Another big issue is that in order to get a fluid OS experience going, like switching between start and desktop, closing down apps, or doing basic functions within Start applications takes a lot of learning with many new keyboard shortcuts to remember that make the obvious touch-entric screen operate fluidly using a keyboard/trackpad combo.

I heard that programs don't translate well between the two operation systems, so hopefully the interactions between the two will be fixed in due time.

Will keep on playing around, but so far I'm really impressed.

n64coder

Does anyone use Windows 8 in a domain environment? I haven't been able to share a drive other than C: and have it accessible to others. Has anyone been able to do this?

The issue is that I get "access denied" error if I try to read/write from another computer. I confirmed that I have it shared. I use the explorer to confirm that the file system has permissions (full control) for my group. This stuff works fine in Windows 7 but not 8.

I have no issues accessing drive C: remotely. It's just D:\ so I'm curious if anyone else has done it with a computer on the domain. I guess I'll have to open an MSDN support request with Microsoft later this week.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I tried Windows 8 for the first time when installing it on my Mom's laptop.

I thought the Start page was cool and all of the things you could do with it. Mail is integrated as well as services like Facebook. The store was cool as well. The whole there is a desktop as well thing was a bit weird. I went to install Chrome and Firefox and after downloading it in Internet Explorer (Through the Start page) and clicking to open the file it went to the desktop which is a separate environment with icons. Just doesn't seem fluid.

Also the clicking on the corners to do something wasn't the best.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Music Info is a really nice app. I wish it worked with DRM/Xbox Music songs though. If your collection is DRM free, I would definitely recommend it.

Kerrinck

About to switch from 7 to 8 but I have a small question. It offered to keep all my settings, personal files and apps. Does that mena it will keep everything from my hdd? I am mostly worried about steam games and their saves.

mandiller

About to switch from 7 to 8 but I have a small question. It offered to keep all my settings, personal files and apps. Does that mena it will keep everything from my hdd? I am mostly worried about steam games and their saves.

Yes everything from your hdd will be kept. I just did it and everything seems to be there still.

I get the feeling this was answered, but I can't find anything on it.

I own a copy of Windows 7 and have a new machine I'm building. I thought I saw someone in here say there is a way to not have to install Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 8 using the $40 method--that there is a way to just install Windows 8 straight up, as long as you have your Windows 7 license key. Is that the case?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I have to say that I'm really starting to like the new chimes in win 8. The waking from standby and sleep sounds remind me of zelda.

Top Bottom