• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Sinofsky left Microsoft.

What.

Yeah just read that.

Dropped a big "whoa."

I mean I've heard that he wasn't very cooperative with other division heads, but that guy has been one of the main players responsible for direction of the entire company right now. There were plenty of talks about him being the next CEO.

Good thing Microsoft allows M15+ (or whatever it is) games now, otherwise we would have missed out on this masterpiece:
Dkbvl.png

SeanR1221

Anyone getting a disconnect between the RT Explorer and desktop explorer?

For example, Windowsphone.com is messing up in RT (says theres an error signing in) but the desktop works perfectly fine.

Been using it for a couple of days now, it's improved a lot since the consumer preview. Still impatiently waiting for more good apps though.

I really like the desktop improvements though.

Edit: One thing I still HATE about this thing is the ads. It's ridiculous. Good thing I only paid $15 for it.

Could someone tell me if Classic Shell lets you boot into Desktop Mode, or if I buy Start8 will it allow me to install it on all of my computers or would I need to buy a copy for each computer?

Piper Az

I need some help on streaming music/video from Windows 8 to Xbox.

What I want to do is open Xbox Music on my PC, select a song or songs and have them play on my Xbox (a la AirPlay). This apparently is much more cumbersome that I thought. I am finding out that first, I'd need to play a song, then right click to bring up an menu from the bottom, click "Play to Xbox" to get that song start all over again on my Xbox via Xbox Smartglass app. What I was imagining doing was to just select a song and click "Play to Xbox", but no suck simple method exists. Also, if I want to add a song so that it'll play after the current one, the one I added just starts on my Xbox.

Seriously, the Xbox Music app on Windows 8 is so confusing.

Prezhulio

ok so kinda of hesitant to upgrade to windows 8, but definitely want to take advantage of the cheap upgrade before it runs out.

my primary concerns are things like motioninjoy ps3 controller drivers working, and my steam games working (i have like 300 installed).

any easy spot to find a list of stuff that has lost compatibility with windows 8?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ok so kinda of hesitant to upgrade to windows 8, but definitely want to take advantage of the cheap upgrade before it runs out.

my primary concerns are things like motioninjoy ps3 controller drivers working, and my steam games working (i have like 300 installed).

any easy spot to find a list of stuff that has lost compatibility with windows 8?
this is probably a good site to look at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/Home as well as just going to the product website and check out the forums and read if anyone is having problems.

Lynn616

Nextgen Reader for Windows 8 update.

What’s new in v1.1

New: Support for multiple live tiles and lock screen notifications.
New keyboard shortcut: Use “n/p” keys to scan through article list.
Added new option: Set reading pane to open first article automatically.
Better image resizing in modern view i.e. grids containing images.
Moved “next/previous” buttons on same side i.e. Kindle style.
Several other enhancements, bug fixes and performance improvements.

Version 1.2 next week.

tearsofash

Getting a code for this in a few hours (yes, a legit one.) I usually don't jump on Windows new releases so soon, but I don't have a whole lot to lose since it isn't my main operating system anyways.

I am curious though, does it handle memory any better? Windows has always been fairly poor at optimizing ram.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nextgen Reader for Windows 8 update.

What’s new in v1.1

New: Support for multiple live tiles and lock screen notifications.
New keyboard shortcut: Use “n/p” keys to scan through article list.
Added new option: Set reading pane to open first article automatically.
Better image resizing in modern view i.e. grids containing images.
Moved “next/previous” buttons on same side i.e. Kindle style.
Several other enhancements, bug fixes and performance improvements.

Version 1.2 next week.
Nice! been thinking about jumping on that app. I like the UI.

Retrocide

Nook app is out.

I've been waiting for this one. I've had nooks in the past so I have a few magazines, a couple of comics and like a 100 books that in the nook ecosystem and it's a very nice app. Especially when compared to the very bare bones kindle app.

Jumped on the W8 bandwagon yesterday. I used the CP/RP but really just stuck to the desktop. However, that was mainly due to the lack of quality/bug-free apps. They seem to be a lot better now, and there are more of them. OblyTiles actually will probably make a big difference for me and my Start screen use.

nick nacc

Banned
i just got windows pro for 15 bucks, i figured it was a steal just to get it over with now.
my setup is a htpc and is projected on my wall i figured windows 8 looks better on a wall than a desktop.

my generic wireless usb driver stopped working when i switched over, its going to be a bitch trying to get that working again.

Kareha

I'm planning on upgrading my uncles PC to Windows 8 soon and was wondering if it's possible to get the ISO to make into a bootable USB install before he pay's for it. This is so I can download it on my connection ahead of time as my broadband is a lot faster than his.

Unless you have a touch device why are you using RT IE at all?

I like the sandboxed nature of it and also the lightness (absence of plugins, etc...). Sure I can get the desktop to behave this way but I don't have to go into the hassle of reconfiguring the desktop browser when I need more access. I find myself switching between RT and Desktop smoothly when I'm switching between work and consuming content.

Husker86

Is there a way to install application from the windows.old file, I tried to google it but I could not find any info.

I am going to guess no. Registry changes would be required and I don't see how you would get the required registry values from just the data folder.

So..... The IEEE email finally came and I was hoping someone whose successfully registered can just give me the root domain of their link so I can verify this isn't some cruel phishing scheme.

SeanR1221

My people hub is pretty far behind. I only have Facebook Notifications from Monday and a couple people I clicked on don't have anything new on their wall since like November 10th.

gcubed

Anyone found out yet why and when the audio of certain Apps cuts off if they are not in focus?

Using Chrome I can't play Amazon mp3 samples and do something else, or i can't watch a youtube video and do something else. COMPLETELY soured metro for me.

Is there any way to sync/backup installed metro apps and start screen layout? So when you format or buy a new device the metro side of the things are instantly configured?

Top Bottom