• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

explodet

Sorry to be that guy, but I'm trying to troubleshoot someone with Windows 8 and was wondering if you guys could help.

Has there been problems with verification emails? The account was created with an ISP email, and we received security emails, but when we try to verify the account the verification email never arrives. EDIT: Doesn't arrive in the spam box either.

Anybody else run into this problem?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sorry to be that guy, but I'm trying to troubleshoot someone with Windows 8 and was wondering if you guys could help.

Has there been problems with verification emails? The account was created with an ISP email, and we received security emails, but when we try to verify the account the verification email never arrives. EDIT: Doesn't arrive in the spam box either.

I had one that took an hour or more to arrive :p

Quick

Banned

Verification e-mails take ages to arrive, I found.

Took me at least half an hour to get it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone have a weird thing where IMAP is suddenly broken in Windows Live Mail?

I had to switch to Outlook 2010 because it just refused to connect after upgrading.

AColdDay

So I installed Windows 8 today, and started playing around with the Photo app. I clicked on "hide" on each of the photo sources, not thinking much about it. Now I've added all my old photos from my old hard drive, they aren't showing up in the app. It says that "All your photo sources are hidden, to show some adjust your settings" What settings do I have to adjust?

MCD

So I installed Windows 8 today, and started playing around with the Photo app. I clicked on "hide" on each of the photo sources, not thinking much about it. Now I've added all my old photos from my old hard drive, they aren't showing up in the app. It says that "All your photo sources are hidden, to show some adjust your settings" What settings do I have to adjust?

Charms bar --> settings?

Anyone dual boot this with Ubuntu?

Any issues with boot managers, or the secure boot crap, etc? Thinking about getting the $40 deal, but not if it's going to not play nice with Ubuntu.

Rlan

So I have a AMD Radeon HD 4800 Video Card, and since I got the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (and now the full version of Windows 8) I've had issues with a bunch of games. Specifically, the OpenGL renderer -- it just says it can't fix it.

I've installed the AMD Driver stuff and still can't get these games to work. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this stuff?

MCD

So I have a AMD Radeon HD 4800 Video Card, and since I got the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (and now the full version of Windows 8) I've had issues with a bunch of games. Specifically, the OpenGL renderer -- it just says it can't fix it.

I've installed the AMD Driver stuff and still can't get these games to work. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this stuff?

Didn't AMD drop support for 2000/3000/4000 on Windows 8?

nan0

Didn't AMD drop support for 2000/3000/4000 on Windows 8?

Partly, they released legacy drivers for Windows 8 for these GPUs. But there won't be any new on a monthly cycle. But that doesn't mean they don't work, I have HD4850 and they run any game (be it OGL or DX) without issues.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

You could try these.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=370452

syko de4d

Thanks for the * search tip guys.

Is there a web store? I wanna share this app called: Manga Z but I dunno how (Share function is useless if you don't have twitter and facebook YES I DON'T HAVE BOTH).

Best online Manga Reader currently on the app store. So glad devs are starting to kick in with dem apps.

Screenshot:

isZ70S9IlZxOT.jpg

should a app like this not be illegal?

MCD

It's a grey area. I guess it's illegal to promote it here so I won't make mention of it again.

It's basically like visiting one of these online manga sites but just prettier.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I bought Windows 8 Pro through the windows upgrade offer. Downloaded it to my USB stick since was in a hurry to the hospital, came home an hour later and reformatted my PC and installed it. When I was going to activate it it said I had to have win7 and then install Win 8 on top of it, whoops :/

So now that I've done that, next time I need to reformat my HDD I can install Windows 8 directly or do I still need to install Win 7 first?

Totakeke

Apparently it's only illegal once the manga gets licensed to be released on the country/region.

Similar ios apps use your device location info to determine which ones you can see.

Well Microsoft certainly doesn't care nor Apple or Google.

What's ironic is that the developer actually really follows the no 18+ content restrictions as per Microsoft's policy. So you can't view any manga flagged as such.

derFeef

So I bought Windows 8 Pro through the windows upgrade offer. Downloaded it to my USB stick since was in a hurry to the hospital, came home an hour later and reformatted my PC and installed it. When I was going to activate it it said I had to have win7 and then install Win 8 on top of it, whoops :/

So now that I've done that, next time I need to reformat my HDD I can install Windows 8 directly or do I still need to install Win 7 first?

You just need any version of Windows (7 or 8) currently on your PC so the upgrade works.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Erk. I don't like the new file collision menu. Yeah, it gives you more options, but I would have liked to be able to just "move and keep both files" for all files be a single option like it was back in Windows 7. Instead, you need to click three times to do the same thing you could do in one.

Rlan

Yup, that did it! Took some getting around to do (actually deleting the drivers entirely so it wouldn't add them back in again)

It's sorted out the issues I had with games like Cave Story Plus and Thirty Flights of Loving. But now I've found some other issues, specifically with some Windows 8 games.

Oddly the games that seem to do this are Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride and Shark Dash so hopefully I can figure out the issue at work for the first two! Basically, about 10 seconds into actual "gameplay", the game's will crash my video card entirely. Little dots on the screen style.

Anyone else had that? Admittedly I've got a video card they're not officially supporting anymore, but if it's an issue I need to sort out I will.

Totakeke

Skyscanner yup, OneNote MX yup, Skype yup. Weatherbug? I should try it.

Cocktail Flow missing is a crime.

Oh yeah, Google Search app not having an RT/ARM version is stupid as well.

SeanR1221

So adding a calendar event to my Lumia 920 pops up almost instantly on my RT Calendar app.

But adding a contact? Not so instant. I moved all my contacts from my iphone to my 920 last night and all the new ones popped up under people. I then made a test name last night and it's still not there. Hm...

derFeef

Here is a tip for Firefox Desktop users:

If you want to open the CURRENT Firefox to open via a tile, use OblyTile and set the -url startparameter, like here:

KLjA0.jpg

It's not perfect, but you don't get new Firefox windows anymore now :)

SeanR1221

NOW my contact popped up after adding calendar events. I guess that synced it. Am I missing something with syncing contacts? Calendars seem to be instant, even faster than iCloud used to.

surly

Banned
I installed a few apps when I installed Windows 8, including the eBay app. I signed into the it and quite liked it, but then I didn't use it again. I bought something off eBay yesterday via my regular web browser, and a couple of hours ago I was using my PC and a little notification popped up in the top right of my screen from the eBay app to say that my item had been shipped. I know this is nothing mind-blowing or anything as it's the sort of functionality that smartphones have had for ages, but it's pretty cool to have this on a desktop PC.

Totakeke

I installed a few apps when I installed Windows 8, including the eBay app. I signed into the it and quite liked it, but then I didn't use it again. I bought something off eBay yesterday via my regular web browser, and a couple of hours ago I was using my PC and a little notification popped up in the top right of my screen from the eBay app to say that my item had been shipped. I know this is nothing mind-blowing or anything as it's the sort of functionality that smartphones have had for ages, but it's pretty cool to have this on a desktop PC.

I kept wishing my work laptop has Windows 8 so I could have package tracking notifications. It's something you'll miss having.

Not sure if this has been posted or addressed yet.

I've upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win8 Pro with no problems. First upgrade install I can remember doing as I normally always do a clean install. Very impressed with how responsive and slick everything is.

I use a Nettop with XBMC 10.1 to connect to my Windows PC to access media shares. If I'm signed in with my Microsoft account I can't connect to my shares but if I log out and use a local account I have no problem connecting. Is there a work around if I want to stay signed in with my Microsoft account?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Heh, I had this experience with my mobile device and Paypal. I never use the Paypal app to pay, I always use whatever checkout each individual website has, but it's nice to get my Paypal receipts as notifications on my mobile device.

Gaspode_T

Not sure if this has been posted or addressed yet.

I've upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win8 Pro with no problems. First upgrade install I can remember doing as I normally always do a clean install. Very impressed with how responsive and slick everything is.

I use a Nettop with XBMC 10.1 to connect to my Windows PC to access media shares. If I'm signed in with my Microsoft account I can't connect to my shares but if I log out and use a local account I have no problem connecting. Is there a work around if I want to stay signed in with my Microsoft account?

I have no idea how the other device connects but if you want to map a network share remotely you can always do something like "net use * /u:computername\username" which will prompt for your password, I have to imagine there is a way to get it to access your computer's account, is it workgroup? A Microsoft account is a local account, the only thing that would be different is whether it specifies a password?? Domains are usually the thing that makes this complicated.

Dealing with all that networking stuff is why I am so happy it is getting simpler and simpler to just send from one device to another

rakhir

I wasn't really impressed in what i've seen from this OS, but today I've upgraded my Mothers PC from crappy Vista to 8 and I fell in love with it.

Does it really make a difference for a Win 7 user to jump to 8? EDIT: For example I've heard W8 is better at using memory for different applications, and works great for constantly switching from app to app - is that really true?

Oh and does the Snap feature works in current 8? I remember it from preview videos, but can't seem to find it in retail version.

surly

Banned
Does it really make a difference for a Win 7 user to jump to 8?
Not a huge one in terms of performance, but it is a little faster in my experience. Obviously you've used both operating systems, so you know what to expect in terms of features.

rakhir said:
Oh and does the Snap feature works in current 8? I remember it from preview videos, but can't seem to find it in retail version.
Yep, that feature is still present. You can snap a Metro app to the left or right side of another Metro app or even the desktop. The feature in Windows 7 where you could drag a regular program to one edge to make it fill half the screen - an easy way to get 2 side by side - is still there too.

Lynn616

Run the setup file again from inside Windows and do an upgrade. You will be upgrading your Windows 8 to Windows 8. LOL. Then your activation will work.

You know what's one thing that sort of bothers me about the new Start screen, and I wouldn't mind seeing them tweak in future versions (and let me know if there's a way to already do this):

The Modern Start Screen doesn't really give you any visual cues (outside of worse icons (for now?)) whether an app that you click on from the Start Screen will open a Metro version, or a Windows Desktop version of the app. For the Desktop experience, the Start Screen is supposed to replace the Start Menu, but you don't necessarily know if an app that you click/tap on is going to behave as a Modern app, or a Desktop app.

I think I might organize my apps so that there is a distinct Desktop apps group just for that purpose.

PG2G

The Modern Start Screen doesn't really give you any visual cues (outside of worse icons (for now?)) whether an app that you click on from the Start Screen will open a Metro version, or a Windows Desktop version of the app. For the Desktop experience, the Start Screen is supposed to replace the Start Menu, but you don't necessarily know if an app that you click/tap on is going to behave as a Modern app, or a Desktop app.

I think I might organize my apps so that there is a distinct Desktop apps group just for that purpose.

Can't you tell by looking at the icons? Desktop apps look different than Metro apps

mAcOdIn

Is the new start screen really supposed to take over on the desktop? The more I play with it the more I don't really think so. I mean, if that's what Microsoft's aiming for they have done a horrendous job on that front.

I mean, I can't really think of a single reason to stay in Metro, every app in there is fucking near useless, even Microsoft's offerings. Email's usable as a light user and I guess the news ticker's alright but are they even really trying to coerce desktop users into Metro? Wouldn't that require a concentrated effort on their part?

The more I look at Metro, on the desktop, the more I think it was a trojan horse for the store, which we always knew, but I mean, for the other way around. I don't feel like MS is really trying to replace the desktop with Metro on desktop PCs but they wanted Metro to be front and center enough to help entice users to make apps for their mobile devices that may just happen to also be used on a desktop and so in a haphazard fashion up and replaced the standard start menu with it as opposed to making it it's own executable like, say, Windows Media Center.

Metro's a fine UI for a tablet or phone but it's not great for multitasking at all, that some people can totally live on it on a desktop is cool, I have no qualms with that, I always felt that some people always had more computer than they need when all they wanted was email, web browsing and viewing photos and shit. So the multitasking is less than ideal. I defy anyone to say that of what apps there are that they are functional enough to where you could abandon the classic desktop or web version of whatever it is outside a few radio streamers or some shit. So I think the capability of most apps is also less than ideal. Microsoft also not playing nice with a lot of video and audio formats also limits metro's appeal.

I just don't think Microsoft's really trying to corral all of us into Metro like some think. On the plus side I also think that all of the fears of MS trying to lock down the PC and Windows 8 being some harbinger of doom for steam and the like's probably not even close to true. I think as a desktop user we should just treat it like an obtrusive start menu that takes up way too much space but goes away once you choose what to run, replace it, or just pin shit to the taskbar.

The lock screen is a very nice addition though.

dorkimoe

Stupid question: Should I just get the downloadable upgrade or the disc? I kind of want a physical copy with a key, but I assume I can just burn the downloadable one?

Whogie

It'll let you make an ISO if it detects an optical drive.
(at least, the option didn't appear to me on my netbook when it did my laptop.)

Top Bottom