• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Enco

The app store is going to get a remake. Right?

The current search layout with bricks is horrendous. No way I'm going through all that crap to find a decent app.

OK, I already purchased the upgrade and am trying to install on another PC. I tried the upgrade assistant but there is no option to use it again only to purchase?

EDIT: NM found it

Kweh

Has anyone got their wireless 360 pc controller / receiver working in W8? If so, did you have to do anything special?

Kambing

Okay this is driving me pretty crazy.

Ever since W8 launched I've switched from chrome to IE(internet explorer). My components are hooked up the following way: computer --> receiver --> HDTV, 5.1 speaker setup

When I play a youtube video on IE, even though the original source is or only should be 2 channel audio, it outputs the sound all of my 5 speakers. I have NO IDEA why the hell this is happening.

When I play the same video in chrome, the sound will output correctly out of 2 channel speakers. I know this is kind of a limited issue, but if anyone has any idea on how to fix this I would really appreciate. I can't for the life of me figure out why the sound output on one browser would be different from another and yes I have tried looking through the settings >.<

Also tried searching for answers online and was to no avail lol

xJavonta

Banned
Has anyone got their wireless 360 pc controller / receiver working in W8? If so, did you have to do anything special?

Is it a legit MS wireless adapter or a knockoff? I have a knockoff adapter and I had to do the same thing I did in W7 to get it to work. Go to Device Manager and select the proper drivers for it.

Does the Store New Releases section ever update?

I keep seeing NextGen Reader and Build 2012 for a whole week now.

NO APPS indeed.
Type in "/" (without quotes) in the store to pull up all the apps in the store. You can then filter by new releases and see the app store fully ranked by release date.
My Message app keeps going online -_- What sucks is I have my facebook connected, so my chat on fb is going online as well.

Ugh. I turn it off but an hour later its back online. Whats causing this anyone know?

Settings charm in the messaging app -> Accounts -> removed FB from the messaging app if you don't want to use it.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/pressrelease_11062012_windows_8_.php

No driver for the Prelude. Fuckin auzentech. I'll never find another soundcard as good as the prelude that has optical audio-in... for my uses i'm screwed :/

And Vista drivers won't work on Windows 8?

I'm glad I picked the Club 3D over the Auzen back then. While Club 3D obviously dropped the support, C-Media uploaded fresh Windows 8 drivers for the 8788 a week ago.

If you don't need the Auzen software, you could try downloading the Windows 7 drivers for your chip. Not sure if it works, but might be worth a try.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3760&dl=1#dl

I'm linking you to the Gigabyte G1 motherboard, because it uses the same chip as the Auzen, I think.

Rootbeer

Banned
And Vista drivers won't work on Windows 8?

I'm glad I picked the Club 3D over the Auzen back then. While Club 3D obviously dropped the support, C-Media uploaded fresh Windows 8 drivers for the 8788 a week ago.

If you don't need the Auzen software, you could try downloading the Windows 7 drivers for your chip. Not sure if it works, but might be worth a try.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3760&dl=1#dl

I'm linking you to the Gigabyte G1 motherboard, because it uses the same chip as the Auzen, I think.
you can install the auzentech drivers in in windows 7 compatibility mode but they are still broken. for example I can not get my mic-in port to work at all, and anytime i reboot my computer it resets things (like changing back to 16bit audio)

I think I'm just going to buy this

http://usa.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_One/

expensive but, i have also never used a headphone amp, so it has all my needs covered. brand new so it has win 8 support

thank you for your suggestions though

MCD

Thanks for the * search tip guys.

Is there a web store? I wanna share this app called: Manga Z but I dunno how (Share function is useless if you don't have twitter and facebook YES I DON'T HAVE BOTH).

Best online Manga Reader currently on the app store. So glad devs are starting to kick in with dem apps.

Screenshot:

isZ70S9IlZxOT.jpg

So I've updated my Asus g55 to Windows 8 and all is well pretty much but noticed when I installed the latest nvidia drivers the metro interface seems much larger like it's a different resolution than before. My desktop looks normal but metro w/ live tiles looks larger. Anyone else see this? Also scrolling left to right in metro gives tearing.

MCD

So I've updated my Asus g55 to Windows 8 and all is well pretty much but noticed when I installed the latest nvidia drivers the metro interface seems much larger like it's a different resolution than before. My desktop looks normal but metro w/ live tiles looks larger. Anyone else see this? Also scrolling left to right in metro gives tearing.

Charms Bar --> Change PC Settings --> Ease of Access

Make sure "make everything in my screen bigger" is off.

Totakeke

Is there a web store? I wanna share this app called: Manga Z but I dunno how (Share function is useless if you don't have twitter and facebook YES I DON'T HAVE BOTH).

Best online Manga Reader currently on the app store. So glad devs are starting to kick in with dem apps.

That's really good, fast and fluid on my surface too. Way better than the last Manga app I used. So good I went and bought it, but then it didn't seem to let me download series like it's supposed to after buying it.

Kweh

There's a feature in Windows 8 where if you press the Windows key and the Print Screen key, it will take a screenshot and save a PNG in a Screenshots folder inside your user profile folder. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the directory where these images are automatically placed? It's probably in the registry somewhere, but I can't find it.

When I look under Networks, this is there: -

3Cb3n.jpg

It's my Galaxy S3, but I have no idea why it appears there as "m0xx". In fact, I have no idea why it appears there at all. It didn't in Windows 7.

I have this exact same 'm0xx' listed under Phones as well. Does anyone know what this is? I don't even have a Samsung phone. A bit concerning.

kitch9

Banned

Is it a genuine one or one of those (Better made.) chinese ebay specials?

If its chinese you need to force the driver install through Device Manager usually.

Kweh

Is it a genuine one or one of those (Better made.) chinese ebay specials?

If its chinese you need to force the driver install through Device Manager usually.

I must have a chinese ebay special as I had to install the driver. Thankfully it was easier to find the category in Windows 8 than it was in Windows 7.

surly

Banned
I have this exact same 'm0xx' listed under Phones as well. Does anyone know what this is? I don't even have a Samsung phone. A bit concerning.
Do you have a Virgin Media SuperHub by any chance?

I've just found another guy with the same thing and he doesn't even have a Samsung phone, but he does have a SuperHub, which is the only thing we have in common aside from both using Windows 8. Both our networks are protected by WPA2 and in my case, I use a strong password that nobody else knows or could guess.

This string is in Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean builds for the S3, but if you don't have one (and neither does that other guy) then I can't explain this at all: -

ro.build.description=m0xx-user 4.1.1 JRO03C I9300XXDLJ4 release-keys
EDIT - Well, I had forgotten all about this until you just posted, so I checked the MAC address of my S3 and it matches with the MAC address listed for "m0xx" so I guess in my case, that's the mystery solved.

Kweh

Do you have a Virgin Media SuperHub by any chance?

I've just found another guy with the same thing and he doesn't even have a Samsung phone, but he does have a SuperHub, which is the only thing we have in common aside from both using Windows 8. Both our networks are protected by WPA2 and in my case, I use a strong password that nobody else knows or could guess.

This string is in Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean builds for the S3, but if you don't have one (and neither does that other guy) then I can't explain this at all: -

EDIT - Well, I had forgotten all about this until you just posted, so I checked the MAC address of my S3 and it matches with the MAC address listed for "m0xx" so I guess in my case, that's the mystery solved.

Nope, I don't have a Virgin Superhub.

I have an Xperia S phone and a BT Homehub. Checked the MAC address on all these devices and they don't match up with this 'm0xx' one.

Very odd!

Strange thing is, it doesn't appear in the list until I refresh it and it goes away after a couple of minutes until I refresh it again.

SPDIF

There is a web store http://apps.microsoft.com

But right now, visiting that URL will give you a 403 Forbidden error. But oddly, if you visit using a URL for a specific app, such as Angry Birds Star Wars it'll work. You can sometimes find links to specific apps using Google, but not always. Hopefully MS will fix this soon.

In the mean time, and I know it's far from ideal, you should be able to share using the Mail app, which should give you the specific URL. You'd have to send the message to yourself and then copy the link to the store that's in the message.

i have two questions, hope you guys can help:

1. The Music app is pretty cool while playing music in full screen but after a little bit it shuts the screen off. Is there a way to let the music app stay on full screen without it being affected by the screen time out?

2. I have a laptop on W8 and a surface. How do i get access to my pics from laptop on my surface. Currently it says that i cant get access to the pics because its not on... but it is. Any ideas? i was able to before but now i cant.

I have them both in the trusted devices on my MS account online...

xJavonta

Banned

1. The Music app is pretty cool while playing music in full screen but after a little bit it shuts the screen off. Is there a way to let the music app stay on full screen without it being affected by the screen time out?

2. I have a laptop on W8 and a surface. How do i get access to my pics from laptop on my surface. Currently it says that i cant get access to the pics because its not on... but it is. Any ideas? i was able to before but now i cant.

I have them both in the trusted devices on my MS account online...
2. Install SkyDrive and select "makes files accessible on other computers"

BossRoss

Banned

Mine worked just fine.

I just plugged it in, synced my controller and started playing. I've been playing NBA 2K13 all week with it.

Upgraded from a fresh Windows 7 install.

maeh2k

If you go with SkyDrive, the laptop will upload all the photos to the internet and the Surface accesses them on the internet.
Personally, I like having all the photos on SkyDrive. That way they are accessible from everywhere (e.g. sharing photos via browser) and it's an added backup.

But I don't think that's the only way. The photo app should be able to access the photos in a homegroup (according to this: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-app-update-photos-144459. So if you set up a homegroup the Surface should be able to access the photos directly from your laptop (both being on your home network and turned on). That should be a lot faster than accessing them via the internet.

Ydahs

Okay, just had a holy shit moment.

I wanted to load up FRAPS to see how my game's running. I hit the Windows key, typed in FRAPS and nothing comes up under Apps. I then realized I hadn't installed it after Refreshing. But wait, there was 1 file found, called setup.exe. Clicked on it and it was... the FRAPS install :eek:

Not only is it awesome that it's scanning file metadata, it found the setup file instantly.

n64coder

Does anyone use Windows 8 in a domain environment? I haven't been able to share a drive other than C: and have it accessible to others. Has anyone been able to do this?

MCD

Yeah, if you check in the settings or try to download a whole series you get the option to buy. The download series function doesn't seem to work. Ill check if they know anything.

Can't seem to buy it. Will try later.

I find it weird that I can't add History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi to my favourites (rated 18+ apparently so the app supposedly can't read it), yet I can add something like Highschool of the Dead :p

Hopefully they lift up the 18+ bullshit restrictions next month.

There is a web store http://apps.microsoft.com

But right now, visiting that URL will give you a 403 Forbidden error. But oddly, if you visit using a URL for a specific app, such as Angry Birds Star Wars it'll work. You can sometimes find links to specific apps using Google, but not always. Hopefully MS will fix this soon.

In the mean time, and I know it's far from ideal, you should be able to share using the Mail app, which should give you the specific URL. You'd have to send the message to yourself and then copy the link to the store that's in the message.

I might do that next time if I really wanted to share something to a close friend.

Does anyone know where the Kindle app stores books/files locally? I've looked in several places with no success.

I would check %localappdata%packages. From there you would have to find the package ID (probably will have Kindle in the name) and check the folders in there. This is where many Win8 apps store data.

njean777

Anybody have any luck with boot camping windows 8? Are drivers ready? Or does it still lock you out of the boot camp control panel?

Top Bottom