• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

What it desperately needs is a real "New releases" section, and one trending now, the one "New" we have now is more a "MS recommends these" than anything else

Agreed.

If you really want to see it yourself, search the store for "/" (without quotes) and it will pull up all the apps in the store available in your region. You can filter by new releases and some other stuff.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can't get my BRD to work in Win8 no matter what I do... Google tells me that it should work fine in AHCI mode, but even in IDE mode I can't get it to work. At best I can get Windows to 'see' it (shows up in device manager and explorer) but it constantly acts like it's reading and it won't open the tray.

It worked perfectly until I installed Win 8... maybe it's possible that it just broke at the same time... :(

MoBo BIOS is up-to-date, tried changing SATA ports, changing to AHCI/IDE mode, tried using a different controller, only thing I have not tried is using a new SATA cord I think.

Anyone having problems with CD or Blu-Ray drives? -__-

Totakeke

I don't understand...I have a brand new HDisk,obviously with nothing on it,I need a OS to get it started first...unless you mean getting an ISO now and burn it...or I guess I could just install W7,with the key I got with the physical DVD and use my W8 product key to upgrade?

Huh? You asked in a what if your hard drive crashed scenario (some random time in the future) so I just said you don't really have to worry about not being able to find a windows iso to reinstall as long you have the product key. If you need it right now, I'm not sure if you still need to go through Win7 to upgrade. Either way finding the isos shouldn't be an issue. What physical DVD do you have?

Totakeke

What is your opinion on the apps for comic book (CBR) reading?

Sorry, I don't read comics much. Searched the store and didn't really see any standout ones except for this.

comicsJolt! (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/6fbe349b-80da-4a8b-949e-262de41e6751)

There's a very good one for Manga though.

Well, there's some truth (go look at the win8 devices thread), some conjecture, and some fitting the situation to fit his own view. Whatever they set their sales projections at, I hope they didn't expect existing hardware users to upgrade en masse.

So I got a free copy of Win 8 from my gf's school.

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. I like it a lot, though I'm still very much a noob with the new interface.

It's crazy that Windows 8 sales are weak considering the price difference from previous windows.

I wonder what happens it it just never catches on like it should.

Totakeke

There's also the issue of Windows 7 being generally perceived as great coming from Windows Vista which was harshly judged as terrible. Even if you don't believe there's anything wrong with Windows 8, there's still less incentive to upgrade from 7 especially with non-touch hardware.

And yeah, there's no way Microsoft would suddenly stop supporting Windows, slow adoption is just relative.

There's also the issue of Windows 7 being generally perceived as great coming from Windows Vista which was harshly judged as terrible. Even if you don't believe there's anything wrong with Windows 8, there's still less incentive to upgrade from 7 especially with non-touch hardware.

And yeah, there's no way Microsoft would suddenly stop supporting Windows, slow adoption is just relative.

Yeah I think for the most part people just don't see a reason to not use Windows 7 at this point.

I don't put too much stock into sales of an OS when it's been out for a couple weeks anyways though.

Forget which research firm, Gardner or maybe IDC, but they predicted that Windows 8 wouldn't really take off until 2014 under the basis that it would take hardware makers while to fully figure out how to best leverage hybrid design.

Hopefully somebody in here can help me out with this.

If I put in a Windows 7 key for that Windows 8 $15 deal will it eat up that key even if I use the code and download the copy on another PC?

Odrion

Banned
After removing the start menu and really trying to embrace the Metro stuff on the test computer. It's... Half cool, half clunky.

The Metro apps for Netflix and Hulu are both really good, and both work well for the living room. Having the ability to go into an environment where borders, window buttons, or the start menu won't obfuscate your view and everything in that environment adheres to a certain design aesthetic is pretty neat.

On the other hand, metro doesn't integrate with the desktop as much as it should. Side snapping works well with about 5% of the apps and NOT WELL AT ALL with any sort of video. There should've been an option for corner snapping, or being able to snap multiple metro apps in the sidebar.

Not having a start menu is still dumb, right clicking in metro is double dumb.

dLMN8R

It's crazy that Windows 8 sales are weak considering the price difference from previous windows.

I wonder what happens it it just never catches on like it should.

If Thurrott's rumor was even true in the first place, you have to remember that upgrades from previous versions of Windows are always an extremely tiny minority of purchases. The vast, vast majority of Windows licences sold are for brand new PCs. So really, you're seeing a discount on what amounts to a tiny portion of overall revenue in the first place.

But most importantly, I don't know who Thurrott's "sources" are, but very few people within Microsoft would have access to real, actual projections, and even fewer have access to actual sales data. I highly doubt that any of his sources are actually one of those people who knows both pieces of data.

maeh2k

To me it looks like everyone still wants to clear their Windows 7 stock. I went to a couple of stores recently and they still had mostly Windows 7 systems. The stores weren't set up to show off Windows 8, either. They had single Windows 8 systems somewhere between Windows 7 systems. They didn't have any of the more unconventional Windows 8 designs. They did have a couple of notebooks with touch screens such as the Asus S200 or the Sony Vaio T, but they didn't effectively point out that those were touch screens.

Alucrid

Banned
Is there any way to disable to double left click -> rename option? I keep getting that instead of opening the folder and it's getting annoying.

mike23

Is there any way to disable to double left click -> rename option? I keep getting that instead of opening the folder and it's getting annoying.

Search for mouse settings on the start menu and hit settings. Then hit Change Mouse Settings. Adjust the Double-click speed to your preference. The problem is that you're double clicking too slowly, so Windows thinks your just clicking twice. Move the slider to the left a bit and test it on the folder icon on the right of the mouse settings screen.

Zizbuka

Banned
I wish Microsoft would make it easier to copy between PCs on my private network. The Easy Transfer is a good idea, if only it were easy. Apparently, you can't use it to copy between 64 and 32 bit Windows 8 installs. Aargh.

I don't understand the whole Homegroup thing, and I'm not sure I want to use it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Emitan

Stick with it, it'll grow on you. If you go in expecting shit from all the negativity circulating on the internet, then chances are you'll just refuse to like it.
I used it in the developer beta and disliked it then. I knew what I was getting into.

I'd just install Start8 or any other ancillary program and start treating the OS like W7 if you want to :p
Thanks. I've been thinking about trying that.

Alucrid

Banned
Search for mouse settings on the start menu and hit settings. Then hit Change Mouse Settings. Adjust the Double-click speed to your preference. The problem is that you're double clicking too slowly, so Windows thinks your just clicking twice. Move the slider to the left a bit and test it on the folder icon on the right of the mouse settings screen.

That worked perfectly, thanks.

Husker86

Ever since switching to Windows 8, my second monitor that is hooked up to my integrated graphics isn't working/showing in Windows. I have my main hooked up to my dedicated video card.

In Windows 7 I could use both just fine. Any ideas? I'm assuming my integrated is disabled somehow, I'm not seeing it in device manager.

Jzero

Ever since switching to Windows 8, my second monitor that is hooked up to my integrated graphics isn't working/showing in Windows. I have my main hooked up to my dedicated video card.

In Windows 7 I could use both just fine. Any ideas? I'm assuming my integrated is disabled somehow, I'm not seeing it in device manager.
Did you press Win key + P and choose which way to use the second monitor?

Firehead

Hrm... this is rather annoying. I cannot seem to open a command window via the right-click menu and run the mlink command. It states, "You do not have sufficient privilege to perform this operation."

Is there any way to have everything launch with admin privileges without having to manually run CMD in admin mode? Didn't have to do this in Windows 7... I had full admin control, without having to use "run as admin".

Jzero

Hrm... this is rather annoying. I cannot seem to open a command window via the right-click menu and run the mlink command. It states, "You do not have sufficient privilege to perform this operation."

Is there any way to have everything launch with admin privileges without having to manually run CMD in admin mode? Didn't have to do this in Windows 7... I had full admin control, without having to use "run as admin".
There's a normal command prompt and an admin command prompt when you right click the bottom left corner.
igUyPZAtTLq0d.png

Firehead

There's a normal command prompt and an admin command prompt when you right click the bottom left corner.
igUyPZAtTLq0d.png

Can't seem to cd to a different drive when using that one for some reason. Being able to use the shift+right-click CMD prompt on files would be much easier. Is there not a way to make it work like it did on 7? :/

Edit:

Right, found out you can do that from the "File" menu in the Explorer. Excellent. Now, another problem...

Where'd the "Restore Previous Versions" option go? I got a lot of use out of that in 7...

Husker86

Did you press Win key + P and choose which way to use the second monitor?

I messed with the settings in display settings. It will act like I've extended to a second monitor (my mouse pointer can get lost in the void 'over there'), but my second monitor remains asleep.

xJavonta

Banned
I used it in the developer beta and disliked it then. I knew what I was getting into.

Yeah, so did I. Hated then up until the official release when I decided to give it another spin. Turns out I was just neglecting it because of shit I heard on the internet swaying my opinion, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

If you're dead set on getting the start menu back, Start8 like someone recommended is the best solution.

Jzero

Yeah, so did I. Hated then up until the official release when I decided to give it another spin. Turns out I was just neglecting it because of shit I heard on the internet swaying my opinion, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

If you're dead set on getting the start menu back, Start8 like someone recommended is the best solution.
You should be ashamed for hating something you hadn't even tried yet :p

I can't find any details on selecting files/folders to use FileHistory on. I have multiple drives and multiple partitions, and want to ensure everything is properly backed up.

polg

work just switched to Win8 and... it has been a rough couple of days :(
It baffles me that the best experience I get is when I ignore the Metro interface completely.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I have a strange question...

I use Chrome, and I swear that it used to open up sort of "Metro" style. Now it only opens up desktop style.

Did I imagine this? Did I change something?

Yes it is my default browser.

syko de4d

Man, what i really need would be a 20-22 Zoll/inch Touchscreen LCD where i can easily take the screen from the stand to have an Wireless big Touchpad with win8.

The screen would need his own Battery and should get the Video/Sound Wireless from the Stand, which is at the same moment the battery charger.

For example: It´s late, i sit at the PC and want to sleep but still want to read a little on neogaf, hear some music or watch a video. So i just take my LCD Screen from the stand, it goes from normal Video Connection to wireless Video connection and i take it to my bed and can use it and shutdown my pc before i fall to sleep. (Like a WiiU Pad but without buttons and the PC is now the WiiU)

LCD like this would cost many many €/$ But would be nice for Windows 8 :D

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Also, with the app store being such a pain to navigate. Anyone found any good web sites for app reviews/ratings/recommendations?

Like a "best app for X" type stuff.

I used to love the one on XDA for android but I have not seen anything for Win8 yet.

Top Bottom