• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Totakeke

Whenever you're in app which seems to take too long to scroll, pinch away or scroll out and you'll be presented with an overview, like on the start screen. Works with the app store as well.

So I have a strange question...

I use Chrome, and I swear that it used to open up sort of "Metro" style. Now it only opens up desktop style.

Did I imagine this? Did I change something?

Yes it is my default browser.

Click on the button to the right of the address bar, and click "relaunch in Windows 8 mode" for a Metro version of Chrome.

MCD

Also, with the app store being such a pain to navigate. Anyone found any good web sites for app reviews/ratings/recommendations?

Like a "best app for X" type stuff.

I used to love the one on XDA for android but I have not seen anything for Win8 yet.

Wait for the fucks to update the store UI or wait for an app finder app/deals app.

There are a couple that exists on Windows Phone 7. We just need for someone to port them or make the same.

tl;dr APPS APPS APPS

clav

The update that got released on Tuesday is still failing to install -_-

Msconfig.

Diagnostic Startup.

Install updates.

Re-enable normal startup.

Read that some software may interfere with the latest update, particularly security software.

Did anyone test here the windows 8 version of Slapshtop with the RTM?

It's called Win8 Metro testbed and is a Windows 8 gesture and multi touch enabled Remote Desktop app for the iPad.

Gaspode_T

If you have interest in keeping up with Japan nerd pop culture (AKA Japan version of NeoGAF sort of) look for 2chまとめリーダー - I think there are at least 2 of them, they basically just show popular articles from bunch of different websites that themselves find interesting content from 2ch/kind of a little like reddit with a dash of scary 4ch. I haven't been able to figure out how to share from these apps or I would link to interesting articles I see (like send the link to Rowi or something, that would be cool ...)

Totakeke

If you have interest in keeping up with Japan nerd pop culture (AKA Japan version of NeoGAF sort of) look for 2chまとめリーダー - I think there are at least 2 of them, they basically just show popular articles from bunch of different websites that themselves find interesting content from 2ch/kind of a little like reddit with a dash of scary 4ch. I haven't been able to figure out how to share from these apps or I would link to interesting articles I see (like send the link to Rowi or something, that would be cool ...)

Use this.

Clipboard (http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/d12111fe-bfa8-4050-96c1-c6571e1f3230)

Kirby102

It's called Win8 Metro testbed and is a Windows 8 gesture and multi touch enabled Remote Desktop app for the iPad.
I have tried this, it works quite well. The swipe in from the sides work as they're advertised, the only issue with this is when you swipe from the top of the screen down, it brings notification center down... it annoyed me. Typing was cumbersome too, they let you have the option of using the iOS keyboard, but that took up about 2/3's of the screen.

But I am using it from an iPad 2 (1024 x 768), so I can't say much about the screen estate due to Windows 8 restricting a lot of the metro features, such as Focus Snap.

Overall, it's very good! Technically makes the iPad a computer. :)

It works really well, if your pc is using ethernet instead of wifi to connect to the network the delay is really small, so little that you can actually play some games on it.

I used with an ipad2, so sna would not work... With an ipad 3 it probably would, but with an increase in resolution comes a increase in delay, so i'm not sure it would be preferable...

All the swipe from sides gestures work, but from the top it can bring the notification center down if you use the gesture twice in a short time...

The delay even when small makes the on screen keyboard a little off to use. The app allows you to use the ipad default keyboard, but then you lose some important keys.

When the session is ended, sometimes a annoying bug occurs: The mouse cursor disappears, the mouse works correctly, just the cursor that's missing... When that happens i have to restart... I suppose that's a driver issue, since it never happened when on Win7...

The app transmits audio to ipad too, so it's actually a really neat way to access your apps and media from ipad. I also prefer to use the metro ie than safari on ipad :p

I don't recommend buying the app now though, they updated the Splashtop 2 android app and integrated the testbed in it, so i'm thinking they will shortly do the same on ios.

Nander

Man, what i really need would be a 20-22 Zoll/inch Touchscreen LCD where i can easily take the screen from the stand to have an Wireless big Touchpad with win8.

The screen would need his own Battery and should get the Video/Sound Wireless from the Stand, which is at the same moment the battery charger.

For example: It´s late, i sit at the PC and want to sleep but still want to read a little on neogaf, hear some music or watch a video. So i just take my LCD Screen from the stand, it goes from normal Video Connection to wireless Video connection and i take it to my bed and can use it and shutdown my pc before i fall to sleep. (Like a WiiU Pad but without buttons and the PC is now the WiiU)

LCD like this would cost many many €/$ But would be nice for Windows 8 :D

You mean something like the Sony Tap 20?
http://store.sony.com/c/VAIO-Tap-20-Touchscreen-Computers/en/c/S_J2_SERIES_PAGE

Totakeke

You really should make a list/thread for useful metro apps like this. I've already bookmarked some of your recommendations.

Haha, I'm probably too anal for that. Let me look into it.

I really want to see how the share charm works and what data the app store provides. It'll be nice if you can get a nicely formatted app detail post for forums or onenote by just using the share charm.

I have tried this, it works quite well. The swipe in from the sides work as they're advertised, the only issue with this is when you swipe from the top of the screen down, it brings notification center down... it annoyed me. Typing was cumbersome too, they let you have the option of using the iOS keyboard, but that took up about 2/3's of the screen.

But I am using it from an iPad 2 (1024 x 768), so I can't say much about the screen estate due to Windows 8 restricting a lot of the metro features, such as Focus Snap.

Overall, it's very good! Technically makes the iPad a computer. :)

It works really well, if your pc is using ethernet instead of wifi to connect to the network the delay is really small, so little that you can actually play some games on it.

I used with an ipad2, so sna would not work... With an ipad 3 it probably would, but with an increase in resolution comes a increase in delay, so i'm not sure it would be preferable...

All the swipe from sides gestures work, but from the top it can bring the notification center down if you use the gesture twice in a short time...

The delay even when small makes the on screen keyboard a little off to use. The app allows you to use the ipad default keyboard, but then you lose some important keys.

When the session is ended, sometimes a annoying bug occurs: The mouse cursor disappears, the mouse works correctly, just the cursor that's missing... When that happens i have to restart... I suppose that's a driver issue, since it never happened when on Win7...

The app transmits audio to ipad too, so it's actually a really neat way to access your apps and media from ipad. I also prefer to use the metro ie than safari on ipad :p

I don't recommend buying the app now though, they updated the Splashtop 2 android app and integrated the testbed in it, so i'm thinking they will shortly do the same on ios.

Thanks for the info, guys. I almost bought the separate testbed app, but if Splashtop 2 already has this on Android, I'm going to wait for the iOS update. Hopefully it won't take too long.

MCD

Instead of the old start menu pinned, I want all the new UI to be pinned instead.

These hot corners - the charm bar, the multi task switcher and the start thumbnail - should be all have the option to be pinned on the desktop screen.

Fuck hiding shit. I never hide my task bar too. That shit was sooo windows 98.

Quick

Banned
I would put a start button, but have it access the start screen instead.then again, anyone with a start button on their keyboard can just as easily access the start screen anyway.

MCD

I would put a start button, but have it access the start screen instead.then again, anyone with a start button on their keyboard can just as easily access the start screen anyway.

The problem with the start key is that you need to launch the desktop at least once when you first login to your pc for it to be function like old times.

Or maybe I am confused by all this.

Quick

Banned
The problem with the start key is that you need to launch the desktop at least once when you first login to your pc for it to be function like old times.

Or maybe I am confused by all this.

Just hit the Enter key when you log in and it automatically brings you to the desktop.

Salacious Crumb

I don't see the point. Put it as an option maybe, or just leave people with Windows 7. Why even bother.

Because there's a better version of windows in 8, it just has a thin layer of shit floating on top of it. Of course it should be an option, that's all anyone wanted anyway, for the start screen to be optional.

Totakeke

Because there's a better version of windows in 8, it just has a thin layer of shit floating on top of it. Of course it should be an option, that's all anyone wanted anyway, for the start screen to be optional.

I wasn't referring to why bother for the users, but why bother for Microsoft. Undermining their metro strategy with 8 seems silly at this point.

AEREC

I may be purchasing Windows 8 Pro soon (System Builder/Full version)...I just want to know if I buy one copy, can I install it on 3 seperate computers (My laptop, Wifes Laptop and eventually my living room gaming PC)?

Also whats the best/cheapest place to purchase Windows 8 Pro System Builder?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I may be purchasing Windows 8 Pro soon (System Builder/Full version)...I just want to know if I buy one copy, can I install it on 3 seperate computers (My laptop, Wifes Laptop and eventually my living room gaming PC)?

Also whats the best/cheapest place to purchase Windows 8 Pro System Builder?

I... don't think you can, my impression is 30 bucks, 1 license

clav

There is no option there, I have to pin it to the side to hear my call. Anything else?

X8LSx.png

AEREC

Is there anywhere to purchase and download the full system builder version of Windows 8 Pro? I see it on Amazon but I dont think they will let you download it and the Microsoft only looks like they carry the upgrade version.

Gotta say, the SkyDrive + My Office combo is really awesome and works very well. The web apps are very well done imo. Huge props to the people involved in that.

MCD

Is there a way to open Youtube links in say...the messenger app or IE by defaulting them to a Youtube app such as Youtube RT?

And that Enter key advice was brilliant. Thanks, Quick.

Quick

Banned
Is there a way to open Youtube links in say...the messenger app or IE by defaulting them to a Youtube app such as Youtube RT?

And that Enter key advice was brilliant. Thanks, Quick.

No problem. I found it out by accident, haha,

Haint

WTF, I always make my task bar and windows borders black or dark gray. Doing this in Windows 8 completely hides the minimize and resize button (as they're both dark gray). How did this kind of shit make it past testing. Is there any setting to change the button color to white or light gray?

Jzero

WTF, I always make my task bar and windows borders black or dark gray. Doing this in Windows 8 completely hides the minimize and resize button (as they're both dark gray). How did this kind of shit make it past testing. Is there any setting to change the button color to white or light gray?
Unfortunately, no.

Lynn616

This might help.

If anyone is interested, there are is finally a nice custom theme available that has a dark title bar with white title bar text (Win8 is limited to black). You have to patch your system files before as usual.

Download here: http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Edge8-Next-Generation-Vs-v5-336348520

Another example screenshot from my desktop: http://i.minus.com/iMVRJEhNKczcU.jpg

Can someone walk me through how the whole 90-day trial process for Windows 8 works? I ran the diagnostics and my computer can run it fine, but I don't know how complicated the transition from Vista -> 8 would be, and vice versa when the trial runs out. Keep in mind I already have experience with 7 on laptops, our home computer's just Vista.

Upgraded my Vista PC (yes I was still using Vista) to Win8 and it's great so far. Way faster but I imagine Win7 could have done that. Wasn't planning on it but for $39 I figured why not.

Metro isn't as bad as I thought it would be although it's somewhat jarring switching from Metro to Desktop, it's like you're running a separate OS in a VM.

Only issue is I seem to have lost all my sound. Installed newest Realtek drivers for Win8 and still nothing.

syko de4d

mhh i don´t know if these are the first one but it looks like you can find desktop Apps now in the App Store?

I searched for"/" and looked at the newest apps and there are some Desktop Apps, 7-8 Games like Zuma and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum and an antivir programm.

Instead of an download link there is a link to the website where i can download the Desktop App and it looks like is completly free for the Vendor/Developer, in the discription they write "100% of rental counts toward game ownership." Looks like an easy way to promote your Software 4 free, dont know xD

I got the same thing - You should try the process with different browsers until you don't get a key prompt. I went through a few earlier in the thread before landing on one that worked.

Alx

Turns out all the critics were right after all. Windows 8 (including the Metro style) is shit and sucks for everyone both on traditional PCs and on tablets. At least according to this article: Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox -- Windows 8 UX: Weak on Tablets, Terrible for PCs

I'm not really convinced by his LA Times example, actually I think it puts the metro design in a better light than the regular web page, that seems cluttered in comparison.
For a quick glance at the headlines, the clearer metro page is better, and even if there is objectively more information on the web one, I don't get more information in the first 3 seconds of looking at it.

kitch9

Banned
Turns out all the critics were right after all. Windows 8 (including the Metro style) is shit and sucks for everyone both on traditional PCs and on tablets. At least according to this article: Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox -- Windows 8 UX: Weak on Tablets, Terrible for PCs

The internet is full of whining IT nerds, bitching because MS has changed their "precious" after a few decades of releasing similar OS's with mostly from a user point of view, incremental updates.

The guy in that article for instance is trying to run everything from the start screen which is not its point.....

People go all retard around a MS OS launch and it takes a got 12 months for the retard to leave usually as we are bombarded with bullshit "articles" like that one.

The works PC's run 7 and they feel a little empty now compared to my home 8 PC. I'm yet to find something I can't do on my PC running 7 that I can't do on 8....

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm not really convinced by his LA Times example, actually I think it puts the metro design in a better light than the regular web page, that seems cluttered in comparison.
For a quick glance at the headlines, the clearer metro page is better, and even if there is objectively more information on the web one, I don't get more information in the first 3 seconds of looking at it.

Agreed. Modern UI is extremely good in terms of usability. LA Times' site is a mess with visual clues all over the place that distract your focus-point.

I can understand that it can seem frustrating that functionality that used to be on the surface is now hidden, but it's about just as much out of reach as an engine is to a car-owner. Sure, I need to be there once in a while to check the fluids, but other than that, using what's on the surface is what you mostly do. And you want that surface to be clean, clear and without too much clutter.

Top Bottom