• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Is it just Norway, or is Europe as a whole getting kinda screwed here?

Meanwhile in Holland
D8YnI.png

MCD

Where did you get the wallpapers from? And has anyone ripped the themes out and backported them to Windows 7 yet?

From an app on the windows 8 and windows phone store called love wallpaper hd.

It's Chinese but navigation is quite easy.

Jzero

So unfortunately I had to clean install Windows 8 to be able to get all the updates installed successfully. Good thing the setup is so much faster or I would probably be pissed right now.

vermadas

Does anyone know if the $10 360 game pre-order coupon codes from the Microsoft store can be used on the digital Windows 8 Pro upgrade?

venne

I'm having an issue in Media Center that I can't figure out.

I reinstalled Windows 8 and now my recorded TV shows won't play. It says "Video Error." I can watch live TV just fine, but even new recordings won't play.

When I change the target hard drive that the DVR uses and Media Center will play back and record just fine.

I don't know what is going on. The files show up fine and even have proper thumb nails in Media Center. Something is going on with it, as I am able to copy the recordings (requires Administrator permission) and the copied recording will play just fine.

I tried using 'take ownership', but that hasn't fixed the issue.

Anyone have any idea how I can reclaim these files?

W8 really screwed me this morning. My boss sent me a PDF to print out. I downloaded it and couldn't print it from the windows 8 PDF viewer. Under info it said I had permission to print. I had to print it from Google docs.

YOu're going to get something extra special from Santa this year buddy... you've been taking your lickings on just about every thread on GAF you've been on :(

Was it a driver issue or it just didn't support it?

JaggedSac

So Plex just released their browser based media center thing for viewing content from your media server. It uses flash but with the workaround to add sites to the white list, RT owners can now watch their videos from their Plex server through the browser. Works very smoothly and their new media server release looks to have massively reduced CPU usage on the server. One thing that might be a pain in the ass with this though is the fact that the IP address already changed on me once, so it might be a matter of updating that whitelist everytime you want to watch something.

Totakeke

So Plex just released their browser based media center thing for viewing content from your media server. It uses flash but with the workaround to add sites to the white list, RT owners can now watch their videos from their Plex server through the browser. Works very smoothly and their new media server release looks to have massively reduced CPU usage on the server. One thing that might be a pain in the ass with this though is the fact that the IP address already changed on my once, so it might be a matter of updating that whitelist everytime you want to watch something.

On the Surface?

lexi

Banned
I'm having an issue in Media Center that I can't figure out.

I reinstalled Windows 8 and now my recorded TV shows won't play. It says "Video Error." I can watch live TV just fine, but even new recordings won't play.

When I change the target hard drive that the DVR uses and Media Center will play back and record just fine.

I don't know what is going on. The files show up fine and even have proper thumb nails in Media Center. Something is going on with it, as I am able to copy the recordings (requires Administrator permission) and the copied recording will play just fine.

I tried using 'take ownership', but that hasn't fixed the issue.

Anyone have any idea how I can reclaim these files?

After you take ownership, you'll still need to change the security of the files and give yourself full access permissions to them.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
reading the complaints of shutdown/reboots in win 8.... how many clicks is it and how many clicks is it on win 7?

because I count 3 clicks for each. However I'm at work and we have policies that change the shutdown button.

I mean, you go bottom right, settings, power. it's quick enough to power off (or you can just actually push the power button)

for those that don't like it or it isn't fast enough, make a shortcut on your desktop to the command shutdown /r 0 (for restart) shutdown /s 0 (for shutdown) then pin those 2 shortcuts to start, change the icon to look all power button like, then you have one click shutdown/restart.

coopolon

Is there any way to do a clean install with the $40 upgrade without a licensed version of windows already installed? Loke maybe from the evaluation version? I see in the op and articles the official answer is no, I but I also see it being mentioned you can in various places, so I just wanted to check.

MCD

xJavonta

Banned
Is there any way to do a clean install with the $40 upgrade without a licensed version of windows already installed? Loke maybe from the evaluation version? I see in the op and articles the official answer is no, I but I also see it being mentioned you can in various places, so I just wanted to check.

Yeah, use the Enterprise Evaluation edition. That's what I did.

JaggedSac

What is the work around to add sites to the IE Flash white list?

1.Open “C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml” in your favorite XML editor
2.Scroll through the document until you find the <Flash> </Flash> tags
3.Place “<domain>YOURDESIREDDOMAIN.COM</domain>” anywhere between the Flash tags (e.g. simply match the formatting of the other websites)
4.Save and delete your browsing history
5.Enjoy

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
1.Open “C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml” in your favorite XML editor
2.Scroll through the document until you find the <Flash> </Flash> tags
3.Place “<domain>YOURDESIREDDOMAIN.COM</domain>” anywhere between the Flash tags (e.g. simply match the formatting of the other websites)
4.Save and delete your browsing history
5.Enjoy

Awesome, thanks!

JaggedSac

Awesome, thanks!

Oh, and this might have been important for u as well, forgot to copy it:

Windows will automatically check for new whitelist updates, so if you don’t want to repeat this process in the future, you might want to disable the “Download updated compatibility list from Microsoft” option in desktop IE10&#8242;s Compatibility View settings.

GSR

This may not be the best place to ask, but does anyone know how to get Windows to treat a 3.5mm combined headphone/mic jack as, well, a mic jack? I need to record from the headphone output of my 3DS, but whenever I plug the male-male cable into my laptop's headphone/mic jack it just treats it as plugging in headphones and I get nowhere.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is there seriously no way to keep the Music app playing in the background when you switch to a different app? Well, it plays, but is extremely quiet. So annoying.

It's always worked fine for me but wasn't this fixed in an update recently?

Toki767

So I just bought a SSD but I already have Windows 8 installed in a hard drive. How do I go about burning Windows 8 into a DVD so I can do a fresh install to my SSD?

SteveWD40

My laptop feels new running W8, I love it.

Just wish there were more appealing hardware choices at launch for an ultraportable (not RT), so far the Ideatab Lynx looks good but 2gb ram? Ewww.

SeanR1221

YOu're going to get something extra special from Santa this year buddy... you've been taking your lickings on just about every thread on GAF you've been on :(

Was it a driver issue or it just didn't support it?

No clue. I downloaded the PDF from my Gmail to my desktop. Opened it, and it threw it in the Windows 8 PDF reader. I don't see the option anywhere to print. Is this usual?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
No clue. I downloaded the PDF from my Gmail to my desktop. Opened it, and it threw it in the Windows 8 PDF reader. I don't see the option anywhere to print. Is this usual?
use the device button (right bar) to print stuff within metro applications.

syko de4d

Does that mean they're expecting another ~90,000 apps to be added in the next two months to reach their 100k goal? Or does that number not include some apps?

mhh i have 11800 in germany, wierd that us has less aps right now.

At the moment there are around 400-600new apps per day. Maybe they can get 30-50k till the end of the year

Top Bottom