• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Birbo

Any good deals for a full version out there? Going to be building my first gaming PC over the holidays and I need me an OS. Thinking about biting on a deal at Newegg for $70.

Sorry if this has been posted before. How do you put album art on mp3 files on Windows RT?
I checked online and some websites stated that you highlight songs without artwork, click
File, and supposedly there should be a "Get Info" choice. It doesn't show up for me. If
anyone can help clarify this I would be greatly appreciative.

Radec

Why is deleting a file doesn't have any warnings now? How can I bring it back to normal(W7)?

Man, I'm getting dumber using this OS. :/

SPDIF

Why is deleting a file doesn't have any warnings now? How can I bring it back to normal(W7)?

It doesn't warn you because it was a pointless warning to begin with. As I'm sure you know deleting a file doesn't actually delete it, it just sends it to the recycle bin. If you want you can easily retrieve the file from the bin, or empty it.

Emptying the recycle bin i.e. permanently deleting the file will give you a warning. Makes more sense to me.

To actually answer the question, I don't think you can bring it back.

coldfoot

Banned
It doesn't warn you because it was a pointless warning to begin with. As I'm sure you know deleting a file doesn't actually delete it, it just sends it to the recycle bin. If you want you can easily retrieve the file from the bin, or empty it.

Emptying the recycle bin i.e. permanently deleting the file will give you a warning. Makes more sense to me.
OS X also works the same, did not see anyone complain about it.

Quick

Banned

Caught me off guard that it stopped warning us, but if you want it back, right click on Recycle Bin on your desktop, properties, then you should see a checkbox for giving you a warning before sending items to the recycle bin.

Walshicus

There were some sales over the Black Friday weekend on Win 8. Maybe the people that ordered it then got the package in the mail and did the upgrade or install around that time. I know I did.

Well it's a UK site with negligible foreign traffic, so I'd discounted "Black Friday" as a thing. Don't think I've really seen any promotions using it here.

Threw me for a loop at first not asking me if I was sure I wanted to delete a file, but quickly grew accustomed to it and like not have to do the extra click.

I installed Windows 8 after much postponement due to the new interface. As expected the new interface is horrible on a desktop and after using it I immediately installed start 8 to remove charm bar, corner clicks, and metro. Now it's pretty much just an uglier version of 7 with a few enhancements, but atleast it's useable again. I gave my email to Microsoft to get my free media center key. How long should I expect before I receive it? It's been 2 days...

Lol, nice. If I do decide to downgrade can I do that without doing a clean install?

Nope, if you want to go back, you gotta start fresh.

From reading your post though, it sounds like you aren't even giving it a chance. Give it a week to get used to it. I'm using it on my desktop and I think it's pretty great. Granted, since I'm on a desktop machine I'm almost exclusively in the desktop mode. However, I do really like the Bing News app (Xbox Music is also pretty neat, I just dock it to the side when I'm doing browsing). Most of the other apps though definitely are best on my Surface / touch screen, but still not bad to use on a desktop.

Nope, if you want to go back, you gotta start fresh.

From reading your post though, it sounds like you aren't even giving it a chance. Give it a week to get used to it. I'm using it on my desktop and I think it's pretty great. Granted, since I'm on a desktop machine I'm almost exclusively in the desktop mode. However, I do really like the Bing News app (Xbox Music is also pretty neat, I just dock it to the side when I'm doing browsing). Most of the other apps though definitely are best on my Surface / touch screen, but still not bad to use on a desktop.

I tried giving it a chance and I kept mistakingly opening programs pinned to the taskbar trying to open the windows 8 metro start menu by clicking the corner and then when I was on websites scrolling up and down with the scroll bar the charm bar kept popping up on my screen. Plus the start menu in metro is really annoying seeing as how you have to go through several pages to find things which are much easier and quicker to get to using the windows 7 start menu.

aaaaa0

With iOS/OSX you can have a login for your computer that's used for icloud and messaging, etc, and another one for the store only. Makes it very easy and great to share. I have one store account I share with my family and my personal account for iCloud.

You can do that too. Just open the Store, Settings, Your Account, and click Change User.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I tried giving it a chance and I kept mistakingly opening programs pinned to the taskbar trying to open the windows 8 metro start menu by clicking the corner and then when I was on websites scrolling up and down with the scroll bar the charm bar kept popping up on my screen. Plus the start menu in metro is really annoying seeing as how you have to go through several pages to find things which are much easier and quicker to get to using the windows 7 start menu.

Wait, what? Several pages of what?

Lynn616

The Charms bar will only appear when you mouse into the upper or lower right hand corners. Also, why dont you use the scroll wheel on your mouse?

Radec

How do you search an app in the Store?

Caught me off guard that it stopped warning us, but if you want it back, right click on Recycle Bin on your desktop, properties, then you should see a checkbox for giving you a warning before sending items to the recycle bin.

Thanks. Will do.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How do you search an app in the Store?

Thanks. Will do.

At the main screen just start typing. By the way, the search on the charm bar is universal so you can search in the store without even launching it by using that and selecting Store from the list of apps underneath.

Wait, what? Several pages of what?

On the metro start menu, there were several pages of apps that you had to scroll through left to right on my computer atleast.

The Charms bar will only appear when you mouse into the upper or lower right hand corners. Also, why dont you use the scroll wheel on your mouse?

I just feel more comfortable scrolling with the side bar. I do use the scroll wheel for some things when needed. Overall I'm not totally negative to the metro interface. I can see how this would be nice on a tablet that you use your fingers to touch things with, but it's pointless and frustrating on a desktop.

On the metro start menu, there were several pages of apps that you had to scroll through left to right on my computer atleast.

I just feel more comfortable scrolling with the side bar. I do use the scroll wheel for some things when needed. Overall I'm not totally negative to the metro interface. I can see how this would be nice on a tablet that you use your fingers to touch things with, but it's pointless and frustrating on a desktop.

Feeling comfortable doing things the worst way isn't necessarily setting yourself up for success but oh well. Windows 8 isn't for everyone it seems.

You should customize your start screen to have the apps you want. You can also add an extra row on some higher res monitors

StudioTan

How many apps do you have installed? Are you talking about the All Apps screen? Like here is an example Start screen:

iyQWwh913Mg8S.jpg

Even including all the double spaced tiles he has 42 visible and room for 9 more for a total of 51 apps without having to scroll and 66 if he replaced the double spaced with additional single spaced ones. That should be more than enough to account for stuff you use regularly. You can't tell me that twirling down inside folders in the old Start menu is faster than having 2 click access to well over 50-60 apps.

Totakeke

Just zoom out on the start menu to navigate around faster. Otherwise just type.

VLC Kickstarter already has 1/4th of the goal met. They should put in stretch goals to shorten the project time!

kitch9

Banned
I installed Windows 8 after much postponement due to the new interface. As expected the new interface is horrible on a desktop and after using it I immediately installed start 8 to remove charm bar, corner clicks, and metro. Now it's pretty much just an uglier version of 7 with a few enhancements, but atleast it's useable again. I gave my email to Microsoft to get my free media center key. How long should I expect before I receive it? It's been 2 days...

Yawn....

The whining gets boring. I see start for 5 minutes a day, and it's actually more useful now. Are people trying to run their pc from start or something?

Lol have I just seen someone complain that they only scroll up and down and will not scroll left and right?

Alx

wait, start8 removes the charm bar and all other win8 features ? I thought it only added a start menu to the task bar. I can understand tuning your PC to add features, but why would you want to remove some ?

wait, start8 removes the charm bar and all other win8 features ? I thought it only added a start menu to the task bar. I can understand tuning your PC to add features, but why would you want to remove some ?

Hate typically doesn't take on rational forms. You must understand, most people who are install the start menu software come to Win8 with the impression that the start screen and metro apps have no business on the desktop. A purely ideological stance since it lacks experience. Once you take that stance and are vocal about it, the chances you will approach it with an open mind or even give it a chance is greatly diminished. It's no longer about functionality, it's about being right.

SteveWD40

Hate typically doesn't take on rational forms. You must understand, most people who are install the start menu software come to Win8 with the impression that the start screen and metro apps have no business on the desktop. A purely ideological stance since it lacks experience. Once you take that stance and are vocal about it, the chances you will approach it with an open mind or even give it a chance is greatly diminished. It's no longer about functionality, it's about being right.

Pretty much nailed it.

ymmv

Banned

If you're not going to use any of those features, it makes sense to disable all the extraneous crap. I'm running Classic Shell and I've disabled all the hotspots in the corners. If I could I'd disable WinRT completely.

Guess I'm one of the few who likes the charm bar. I actually find it easier/faster to shut down now--just the click of a wrist to bring the charm bar up.

SeanR1221

Xbox music is confusing as shit.

Before I signed up for the Music pass trial, adding a song to my music put it in the cloud, which is what I wanted. Now when I add a song it physically downloads it. So I have to find it and delete it to just keep it in my cloud? Really dumb, unless I'm missing something obvious.

I just want to make a cloud playlist, which I can then play on my Lumia 920. Spotify would make this super simple, not sure why it's so complex on Xbox Music.

Nero3000

Before I signed up for the Music pass trial, adding a song to my music put it in the cloud, which is what I wanted. Now when I add a song it physically downloads it. So I have to find it and delete it to just keep it in my cloud? Really dumb, unless I'm missing something obvious.

I just want to make a cloud playlist, which I can then play on my Lumia 920. Spotify would make this super simple, not sure why it's so complex on Xbox Music.

Because Xbox music is a more complete offering.

If you do not have an Xbox music pass, then you will only have a cloud collection.

If you do have a pass, the default behaviour is that when you add a song to your collection, it is also downloaded on the device for offline use. You can change that setting in the settings.

Creating playlist should just propogate throughout your windows 8 and windows phone 8 devices.

stktt

Banned

You can disable that through the settings charm. It was getting on my nerves as well.

Husker86

My biggest gripe wasn't the design. I open most things by pressing windows key then typing to search for them. Yes, you can just start typing on the Tile Interface to search, however you have to manually click to change categories which I find extremely annoying. If there is a way to make it search Apps/Settings/Files all in the same window, then I'll give it another shot.

StudioTan

My biggest gripe wasn't the design. I open most things by pressing windows key then typing to search for them. Yes, you can just start typing on the Tile Interface to search, however you have to manually click to change categories which I find extremely annoying. If there is a way to make it search Apps/Settings/Files all in the same window, then I'll give it another shot.

Why do you need to search all 3 at the same time? I've asked this question before and I've never been given a specific scenario where you don't know which of the 3 you need. It's just never something I've needed to do.

If you're searching for Apps it's Win > Start typing. For settings Win+W and for files it's Win+F although I always search for files in the file explorer personally.

Why do you need to search all 3 at the same time? I've asked this question before and I've never been given a specific scenario where you don't know which of the 3 you need. It's just never something I've needed to do.

If you're searching for Apps it's Win > Start typing. For settings Win+W and for files it's Win+F although I always search for files in the file explorer personally.
I don't like that I have to memorize 3 different shortcuts to search for different things. Would be so much easier to just start typing and have it show all results.

Husker86

While I didn't know there were different shortcuts to different things, I still say it is unnecessarily harder than it needs to be.

It's nice to hit one button and search for whatever I want, with the most relevant things at the top and the rest sorted based on type below that, like it is with Windows 7 and Start8.

Why are there more shortcuts now? Why couldn't they have the function remain the same? I don't mind the interface, it's these little things that are attempts at making things simpler by making them more complicated.

Yes, I can memorize those additional shortcuts. But why? There is no reason they couldn't fit all categories in that huge, mostly empty void of a space where results now show up.

To answer your question specifically, I don't need to search all three at the same time; most of the time I do know what type of thing I am looking for. But in all cases, I should be able to hit one button to initiate the search.

cbox

Finally installed 8 on my pc with an ssd I just bought. I thought this 2600k machine was fast, now it's just stupid fast and completely quiet. My WD black is now sleeping in an enclosure with usb3 ready to go.

Top Bottom