• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

I folded and finally got VLC. It's letting me open the FLV and MKV videos I couldn't before, but there are no thumbnails. The File Extension manager in Windows 8 is a mess and I can't figure out how to fix this issue.

speedline

Banned
Metro is the Start button, it even says START at the top. Everything you need to access is done so easily in both Metro or desktop mode.

syko de4d

and don´t forget right clickling in the bottom left corner. Easy access to many things ;)

There is no reason to miss the start Button, is still there in a different look.

clav

I like the sound of faster updates as Microsoft has always been slow on that for its Windows line.

Xbox on the other hand went through many UI changes through its life cycle.

syko de4d

looks like the App Store is doing good
http://www.eweek.com/mobile/microsoft-windows-store-a-look-at-its-first-month/

There are already more than 20,000 applications in the Windows Store...

"The Apple Mac App Store has been around for almost two years now, but only stores 12,998 applications, i.e., within a couple of months between the announcement and the official launch of Windows 8, Microsoft managed to already outperform the Mac App Store in the number of available applications," stated Distimo’s Nov. 28 report...

Over the last month, said the report, the daily download volume among the 300 most popular apps was "already three times higher than the volume among the top 300 most popular applications in the Apple Mac App Store," which is separate from Apple's App Store for mobile applications...

However, when paid applications were looked at alone, the Apple Mac shop was doing five times better than the Microsoft equivalent...

In the Windows Store, however, 14 percent are paid apps and 86 percent are free...

"Splitting the tablet and desktop store and focusing on local content are both promising strategies."

edit:
Not directly Windows 8 but: "Sales of smartphones based on Windows Phone operating system have quadrupled compared to the same time last year thanks to the launch of Windows Phone 8 platform."
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile..._Handsets_Quadruple_with_Windows_Phone_8.html

I like the sound of faster updates as Microsoft has always been slow on that for its Windows line.

Xbox on the other hand went through many UI changes through its life cycle.
Yes, I'm very much looking forward to it. The Xbox was forced to change several times, as the platform, specifically the adaption of downloading games, DLC, and entertainment, exploded faster than I think MS ever dreamed of.
I'm not surprised. As others have mentioned, even if Windows 8 were to "flop", you're still looking at a couple hundred million copies out there, so there is really no reason for developers to not make apps for an install base that large.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dell Laptop came with McAfee installed and I wanted to use the built in defender. So I uninstalled McAfee, but now it still won't let me use Defender.
Action Centre seems to think it is being protected by McAfee still.
When trying to open Defender from control panel it tells me that there is another antivirus program being used.

Anything I can do?

Jzero

Dell Laptop came with McAfee installed and I wanted to use the built in defender. So I uninstalled McAfee, but now it still won't let me use Defender.
When trying to open Defender from control panel it tells me that there is another antivirus program being used.

Anything I can do?
Check again and see if you really uninstalled it.

clav

Anything I can do?

Run the removal tool (MCPR.exe).

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Anything I can do?

Maybe it killed Windows Defender? McAfee is really good at murdering its neighbor.

speedline

Banned
eh, I am having one problem since building this PC running win 8:

I have an external usb hdd with some folders that I can no longer access saying that I don't have permission, access denied. Maybe I need to change some permissions on that drive? They were created on my old PC running windows 7, most notably I can't access my folder that has all my music mp3s in it :/

edit: figured it out, had to take ownership of the folder in the security tab under properties/ advanced. Phew..... I was beginning to worry.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Permissions are so annoying. You have to take ownership of the files with your current user.

Personally, whenever it gets too crazy, I just pop in a Linux live CD (Mint or Ubuntu or whatever you like is okay) and copy the files through it.

Loofy

Does Windows 8 fix that whole 'action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer' bug that I keep getting in Windows 7?

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Is there anyway to view the mobile version of this site on a win 8/rt tablet? Hell, it doesn't even seem to work on a windows phone 8 device.

Loofy

Are you sure it was a bug and you didn't actually have the file open elsewhere?
I read thats its a bug with how windows handles previews. I cant just cancel the program like in XP cause in this case its the explorer.exe.
I found a workaround by downloading a program called 'unlocker' but its still annoying.

looks like the App Store is doing good
http://www.eweek.com/mobile/microsoft-windows-store-a-look-at-its-first-month/

edit:
Not directly Windows 8 but: "Sales of smartphones based on Windows Phone operating system have quadrupled compared to the same time last year thanks to the launch of Windows Phone 8 platform."
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile..._Handsets_Quadruple_with_Windows_Phone_8.html

And just like the Windows Phone Store, numbers mean nothing if big names and innovative quality apps are missing.

Alx

Haha, nice ad. It goes on for a bit too long though, but it's a nice idea. The browser you love to hate, indeed. I still don't like it though. :p

Totakeke

So he only changed his mind slightly after Microsoft endorsed his karaoke web standards huh? Sounds like The Verge needs to do some investigative journalism.

So he only changed his mind slightly after Microsoft endorsed his karaoke web standards huh? Sounds like The Verge needs to do some investigative journalism.

iQPViviTJ9VnM.gif

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Does Windows 8 fix that whole 'action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer' bug that I keep getting in Windows 7?

I would assume so since I used to get that from time to time in Windows 7 but haven't had it once since the move to 8.

As GAF goes, so does the world.
Someone really needs to make a thread for this new IE ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9FAOPBiDk&feature=player_embedded

Maybe its old, but I really liked it. Itll probably hit awfully close to home for some folks, but still its hilariously good.
lol that's awesome

Using IE10, very fast, and I love the auto-correct.

SeanR1221

Can you restore a machine to factory settings if you put Windows on a USB stick?

I recused I want to get rid of this 20GB Windows file on my Yoga.

railGUN

Banned
Someone really needs to make a thread for this new IE ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9FAOPBiDk&feature=player_embedded

Maybe its old, but I really liked it. Itll probably hit awfully close to home for some folks, but still its hilariously good.

Comments disabled... wimps.

Funny ad, but my beef with IE has never been about user performance, but their total lack of web standards (as a web designer of course). They've definitely improved in this regard, but IE will always suck to me because of all the fucking time I waste trying to make it render my sites properly.

Top Bottom