• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Is there a general windows 8 help thread? I just tried my moms new present and I am way over my head with this. What a fucking disaster W8 is. I couldn't figure out how to leave the metro screen, I couldn't figure out how to change my mouse settings, I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing off! Is there a cheap of free way of downgrading to windows 7? This is unbelievable.

f0lken

Is there a general windows 8 help thread? I just tried my moms new present and I am way over my head with this. What a fucking disaster W8 is. I couldn't figure out how to leave the metro screen, I couldn't figure out how to change my mouse settings, I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing off! Is there a cheap of free way of downgrading to windows 7? This is unbelievable.

-To leave a metro app just put your cursor in the left corner and click it
-To access control panel put your cursor in the left screen and right click it (you will find a lot of options here)
-To turn off your PC press the hardware power button OR Alt+F4 OR use the settings in the lower right corner OR do this (it takes less than a minute to configure it but then you will only have to do 1 simple step)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
  • To "leave" the start screen, click on the Desktop tile.
  • To change any kind of setting: While on the Start screen, type "Mouse" and select Settings below the search box and find the results.
  • Pro Tip: To get to the Control Panel, and other places, just type WIN+X
  • To shut down press WIN+C or move the cursor to the bottom or top left; press Settings.

Press the Windows Key to go between not-Metro and the Desktop.

I believe there was a program to downgrade, but you'll probably have to call your manufacturer for that.

kitch9

Banned

Calm down and think a little.

There's half a dozen things you need to know and you should be set.... Use Metro as a start menu and nothing more, the desktop should be familiar so go find it, try looking for something in your screen that says desktop on it and work from there.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
first you must accept mike trout as the al mvp and then its smooth sailing.

Use the corners
Windows key = home button
right click for more options
app settings - right bar, settings
Search - start typing on start screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi8NpwiEuzc

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/how-to#2TC=windows8

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/

Jzero

You must of ignored the start-up animation.

stktt

Banned
Ilomilo+ is out. Two new worlds and 20 new levels when compared to the XBLA/WP version.

ibtXgkiPAzgDc.png

It actually looks really nice with the resolution and visual quality set to high.

Razdek

Banned
Man the price of games is way too high in the marketplace. $4.99 for Angry Birds Star Wars when it's $.99 or free on Android is insane.

When you search and there is nothing found in the apps category, why doesn't it automatically show results from the next category that does have results (e.g. settings)?

Do you have to press the down arrow to get to them or is there some quicker way?

Seems like an obvious thing to me.

Razdek

Banned
I hope one day there will be some sort of connection between the Marketplace and Windows Phone 8 Marketplace where if you purchase an app in one place you it counts it towards the other. For example a purchase of Angry Birds Star Wars on the Windows Marketplace would give you the same credit for your WP8 without having to purchase it again for that device.

If not then there should at least be a discount as IOS and Android have the buy once use on multiple devices philosophy which is good for consumers.

Jzero

I hope one day there will be some sort of connection between the Marketplace and Windows Phone 8 Marketplace where if you purchase an app in one place you it counts it towards the other. For example a purchase of Angry Birds Star Wars on the Windows Marketplace would give you the same credit for your WP8 without having to purchase it again for that device.
I think that is the goal of Windows Blue.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

If not then there should at least be a discount as IOS and Android have the buy once use on multiple devices philosophy which is good for consumers.

This is already true for Windows 8, you can install your apps on up to 5 devices (I believe). When I buy a game on my desktop I can also install it on my Win8 tablet. You just have to be logged in to the OS with the same account.

When you open the Store you can right-click and click Your Apps at the top which will show you everything you've purchased and which apps are or aren't installed on the current device.

Razdek

Banned
This is already true for Windows 8, you can install your apps on up to 5 devices (I believe). When I buy a game on my desktop I can also install it on my Win8 tablet. You just have to be logged in to the OS with the same account.

When you open the Store you can right-click and click Your Apps at the top which will show you everything you've purchased and which apps are or aren't installed on the current device.

I meant if you buy an app in the Marketplace and that same app is also available in the Windows Phone Marketplace then you can install it without paying twice. Install it on your laptop/PC/tablet and your Windows Phone for one purchase.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I meant if you buy an app in the Marketplace and that same app is also available in the Windows Phone Marketplace then you can install it without paying twice. Install it on your laptop/PC/tablet and your Windows Phone for one purchase.

Right except the issue is that unlike iOS and Android the phone doesn't run the exact same OS as your desktop/tablet. Devs have to make versions for the phone and port it to the desktop or vice versa and that requires time and money to do so I don't think they'd be keen to give away different versions for free. That's like saying if you buy the PS3/Xbox version of CoD you should get the WiiU version for free because it's the same game.

Now I don't think there is anything stopping a developer from doing that themselves but you're likely never going to see as a universal feature until all devices can run the exact same software just like you can currently with a desktop PC and Windows 8 tablet.

coldfoot

Banned
With iOS/OSX you can have a login for your computer that's used for icloud and messaging, etc, and another one for the store only. Makes it very easy and great to share. I have one store account I share with my family and my personal account for iCloud.

f0lken

With iOS/OSX you can have a login for your computer that's used for icloud and messaging, etc, and another one for the store only. Makes it very easy and great to share. I have one store account I share with my family and my personal account for iCloud.

That is one of the better thing on Apple devices, the only other company that I remember doing something similar was Sony with the sharing of PS Network games. I wish MS would do the same but sadly they never will

StudioTan

That's great but what does that have to do with Windows 8?

No more rhymes now, I mean it!

SteveWD40

"I don't want to learn new things so they are bad!"

As said, it is all explained at start up for the first time, pretty easy if you ask me.

Steam Users Windows 8 64 bit
1.85%

I am finally part of the 1(.85)% :D

Razdek

Banned
Right except the issue is that unlike iOS and Android the phone doesn't run the exact same OS as your desktop/tablet. Devs have to make versions for the phone and port it to the desktop or vice versa and that requires time and money to do so I don't think they'd be keen to give away different versions for free. That's like saying if you buy the PS3/Xbox version of CoD you should get the WiiU version for free because it's the same game.

Now I don't think there is anything stopping a developer from doing that themselves but you're likely never going to see as a universal feature until all devices can run the exact same software just like you can currently with a desktop PC and Windows 8 tablet.

I understand that they are different but having to buy the same item twice just to have it on a PC/Laptop/Tablet and your Windows Phone is simply not compelling from a consumer point of view when the competition does. If they were able to and hopefully that is the goal with Windows Blue then it would make the marketplace more enticing to people.

In the end it's about getting people to buy things from the marketplace and if they have to pay twice for the same item then they probably won't purchase as much. Especially when the desktop price for the example given is already $4.99 to begin with.

Is there a way to scan a single file or a folder with Windows Defender? Or have it in system menu (next to clock)

I just installed and am trying to get used to everything

glaurung

Hey there GAF computer wizards, I have a question for you that's been bugging me ever since I upgraded my main server to Win8.

I can no longer connect to the shared folders on my server using my MacBook. Earlier, with Win7 I would simply type in my server name in the connect to window like smb://servername, type in my login information and I was done.

With the 8th Windows, it does not work any more. The server is still located using the same method and address, the login information even seems to work (my Hotmail address and Hotmail password - which is now the default user account), but as soon as I pick from the list of available shares, I get disconnected.

Help?

PG2G

7 bucks

Yup, this is the same arrogance they showed with WP7 games.

Yeah, pretty bad. Just like Angry Birds at $5. I'm not paying that when the WP8 version is only $0.99. At $5 they need to figure out some way for me to get both versions at least, and for it all to be sync'd via the cloud

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
so i ve been reading around and i found out there is no manage network option anymore? is ther anyway i can bring it back. i had to delete networks through the cmd, which was .... weird. kinda felt MS toke a step backwards there. but w/e still like windows 8.

This is kinda strange. If I search for TuneIn using search "Store" I don't get any hits. But if I search through google and after I find the app it boots "Store" and installs just fine. What is wrong with it?

Walshicus

Okay, anyone else see a BIIIG jump in their Windows 8 site traffic on 28th and 29th November? We'd been seeing moderate increases during the week with larger jumps at the weekend since launch, then on the 28th Win 8 saw a sharp increase and again on the 29th. Now at 2.3% of all site traffic...

speedline

Banned
Okay, anyone else see a BIIIG jump in their Windows 8 site traffic on 28th and 29th November? We'd been seeing moderate increases during the week with larger jumps at the weekend since launch, then on the 28th Win 8 saw a sharp increase and again on the 29th. Now at 2.3% of all site traffic...

There were some sales over the Black Friday weekend on Win 8. Maybe the people that ordered it then got the package in the mail and did the upgrade or install around that time. I know I did.

Top Bottom