• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Finally installed 8 on my pc with an ssd I just bought. I thought this 2600k machine was fast, now it's just stupid fast and completely quiet. My WD black is now sleeping in an enclosure with usb3 ready to go.

I just did the same last night -- I had already been running on the SSD for a couple weeks, but with the fresh install this thing just zips. I also switched over to Waterfox (64-bit performance-oriented Firefox build) and it's like having a brand new machine.

I'm still sort of avoiding Metro until I get the chance to organize it better. I used the Giant Bomb app a bit and was fairly satisfied. I could see myself using Metro quite a bit for video stuff, since Flash seems to always crap up my browser.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's going to have a bit of a learning curve, but nothing unmanageable, and I can really see the app store being pretty useful as it matures.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Has anyone been having any issues with their mice after upgrading to Windows 8? For some reason my PC is having problems detecting my Razer Mamba which never happened with Windows 7. I'm not really sure what to do about this.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Has anyone been having any issues with their mice after upgrading to Windows 8? For some reason my PC is having problems detecting my Razer Mamba which never happened with Windows 7. I'm not really sure what to do about this.

My Razer Imperator had a habit of freezing/disappearing under Windows 8, either the cursor would vanish entirely or it would freeze in place on screen.

PGamer

fucking juniors
My Razer Imperator had a habit of freezing/disappearing under Windows 8, either the cursor would vanish entirely or it would freeze in place on screen.
Mine doesn't quite act like that, it's just that sometimes when booting up Windows recognizes the mouse and sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately the latter is becoming more frequent and I've been forced to start using an older mouse just to be able to use my PC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Woah. Just had my first multi-user W8 experience. :/

My girlfriend asked me to make her a user on my laptop W8 install. Created it. She got the tutorial video. So far so good. But the Metro screen that then came up had none of the default Metro applications on it. So, uh, she was expected to go to the App Store to redownload them all. The redownloads for the built-in apps were fast, so obviously they cache everything locally and hers was copying from that, but still pretty annoying.

Anything I paid (for example, Fruit Ninja) for she was asked to pay for. So applications don't share across user accounts properly? That's pretty much an unmitigated disaster in that it contravenes both the PC model (where licenses are overwhelmingly device-based) and the mobile model (for example, on iOS, we share an app store account but have separate iCloud / Game Center / device profile accounts).

Edit: If this is a bug, obviously it's a very bad bug. I'm not saying I'm sure that this is intentional or anything. But damn.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

My girlfriend asked me to make her a user on my laptop W8 install. Created it. She got the tutorial video. So far so good. But the Metro screen that then came up had none of the default Metro applications on it. So, uh, she was expected to go to the App Store to redownload them all. The redownloads for the built-in apps were fast, so obviously they cache everything locally and hers was copying from that, but still pretty annoying.

Anything I paid (for example, Fruit Ninja) for she was asked to pay for. So applications don't share across user accounts properly?

shit, that's horrible if true.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Anything I paid (for example, Fruit Ninja) for she was asked to pay for. So applications don't share across user accounts properly? That's pretty much an unmitigated disaster in that it contravenes both the PC model (where licenses are overwhelmingly device-based) and the mobile model (for example, on iOS, we share an app store account but have separate iCloud / Game Center / device profile accounts).

Edit: If this is a bug, obviously it's a very bad bug. I'm not saying I'm sure that this is intentional or anything. But damn.
from a windows blog post:
Apps can be installed on multiple PCs and user accounts

These days, people may use several PCs in the course of their daily lives, or share PCs with more than one person in their household. We want these customers to have access to a great Windows 8 experience on all of those PCs.

The licensing terms allow customers to install and use their apps on any user accounts on up to 5 PCs. Why only 5 PCs? Because we also believe in the value of the developer’s investments in their apps, and we want to protect that investment from abuse.

You can view your list of apps by selecting View your apps on the Account and settings page. Jonathan Wang’s post, Designing the Windows Store user experience, describes this page in the Reacquiring apps section. This image from his post shows the customer selecting 4 apps to install from their list:

1072.Reacquiring_2D00_apps_5F00_thumb_5F00_3E46CD7B.jpg

Your apps page with 4 apps selected, and buttons to install, view, select all, or clear selection.

From this page, you can install your apps on a different user account on the same shared PC.

Say, for example, that your family has a shared PC. You have previously used your Microsoft account to purchase a game that all your kids like to play. You can install it for each of your kids by having each of them sign in to their Windows accounts on the shared PC, then launch the Store and sign in to the Store using your own Microsoft account. There, you’ll see all your apps and you can re-install the app on your kid’s Windows account. Installing apps on multiple user accounts on a shared PC still only counts as one of the five allowable PCs where you can install apps.

Note: The Windows 8 Customer Preview release does not yet fully support signing in to the Store with a different account if a Microsoft account is connected to the Windows account.
Looks like you can go to the "your apps" page (right click) and do it somehow from there.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore/archive/2012/03/12/licensing-apps.aspx

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
While I didn't know there were different shortcuts to different things, I still say it is unnecessarily harder than it needs to be.

It's nice to hit one button and search for whatever I want, with the most relevant things at the top and the rest sorted based on type below that, like it is with Windows 7 and Start8.

Why are there more shortcuts now? Why couldn't they have the function remain the same? I don't mind the interface, it's these little things that are attempts at making things simpler by making them more complicated.

Yes, I can memorize those additional shortcuts. But why? There is no reason they couldn't fit all categories in that huge, mostly empty void of a space where results now show up.

To answer your question specifically, I don't need to search all three at the same time; most of the time I do know what type of thing I am looking for. But in all cases, I should be able to hit one button to initiate the search.

My point is you only want to search for all 3 because that's what you're used to, not because you need to see results from all 3 at the same time. The key difference is that now search is NOT limited to just those 3 things, you can search within any app that supports it. Wikipedia, email, messaging, Ebay, cooking apps etc.

Also search is more robust now. For example when I search for "monitor" and click settings I get 22 results for everything that I can change about the monitor or display. Searching "mouse" gives me 19 setting results and 6 results in files. Well if I need to look for mouse settings why do I want file results mixed in with the other 19? It's just making it harder to find what I'm looking for.

So yes, it's an extra click sometimes but personally I don't understand how than can be a deal breaker for anyone, especially when you just need to remember 2 extra shortcuts to solve the issue. If it's really something you do so often that it gets annoying then the shortcuts will become second nature very quickly anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Cyrillus

Or worse: what if they do?

I finally found something positive in Windows 8. I like the file transfer tool when transferring to external drives. It's been 72 hours now and still no media center key yet though:/

Same thing happens to me. Seems to freeze up for a second before going again in random spots. Definitely seems to be putting more strain on my computer than 7, although I am on an older athlon 4000+ system with 4gb of ram.

MCD

Only thing I could think of is an antivirus software that isn't optimized for 8 or something. I use the built in Windows Defender so I dunno.

And oh, did you guys reformat or upgrade? Upgrading from an old OS can result in a buggy state.

Last thing I could recommend is to look for any SSD update if you are using one.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yes I upgraded from my 7 installation (though I chose to not bring over applications/settings). Going to be doing a fresh install though once I download a 7 ISO. The SSD is what's unresponsive in Windows 8. My other drives seem fine, but navigating to and from my C drive is slower than it should be. When I double click to go into my C drive, it takes a second before it becomes responsive again.

Only thing I could think of is an antivirus software that isn't optimized for 8 or something. I use the built in Windows Defender so I dunno.

And oh, did you guys reformat or upgrade? Upgrading from an old OS can result in a buggy state.

Last thing I could recommend is to look for any SSD update if you are using one.

I use MSE(now Defender) also. I did upgrade though, so that could possibly be causing an issue.

jsrv

Is Windows Blue going to be treated as an entirely separate OS, or as a service pack specifically for Windows 8? (ie. in order to get it you would need to purchase 8 first then upgrade?)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is Windows Blue going to be treated as an entirely separate OS, or as a service pack specifically for Windows 8? (ie. in order to get it you would need to purchase 8 first then upgrade?)
most likely just a service pack with more than just bug fixes.

TheExodu5

Banned
Opening an application using the search dialog is a royal pain in Windows 8 compared to Windows 7.

So is restarting the computer.

I also really hate the visual theme of the desktop. I used a nice dark translucent red in Windows 7. I can't do anything remotely similar in this. If I want red, it either needs to be ridiculously bright, or pink.

When I open an app from the desktop, why does pressing escape not return me back to the desktop? There doesn't seem to be any quick way to go back to the desktop without the corner gesture.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Opening an application using the search dialog is a royal pain in Windows 8 compared to Windows 7.

So is restarting the computer.

How do you find them different? In both cases for launching from search you press the Windows key, type and press enter.

Restarting is also the same number of clicks in both.

TheExodu5

Banned
How do you find them different? In both cases for launching from search you press the Windows key, type and press enter.

Restarting is also the same number of clicks in both.

I never realized I could start typing from the Start screen. But yeah, that helps. I still don't care that I need to exit the desktop pane to search for something. It's distracting.

Is there a way to restart I'm unaware of? The only way I've found to restart so far has been to go to the start screen, log out of my user, and then click the power -> restart button. In Windows 7 it was Start Menu, arrow beside the shut down button, restart.

StudioTan

I never realized I could start typing from the Start screen. But yeah, that helps. I still don't care that I need to exit the desktop pane to search for something. It's distracting.

Is there a way to restart I'm unaware of? The only way I've found to restart so far has been to go to the start screen, log out of my user, and then click the power -> restart button. In Windows 7 it was Start Menu, arrow beside the shut down button, restart.

Move your mouse to the lower right corner, the Charms bar will pop up, move your mouse up, click Settings > Power > Restart.

EDIT: You can also bring up the Charms bar with Win+C.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, I still need to reinstall tomorrow on my SSD (took this chance to update the firmware tonight). I'm not sure if I'm just going to go back to Windows 7 or stick with 8. I'm really not caring for 8 one bit so far. I like the task manager...and that's about it. I hate everything to do with the start screen, and I hate how intrusive apps are (all my media files open in apps by default). If I could have Windows 7 with the new task manager, I'd be happier.

Microsoft just really needs to add a permanent desktop mode to this, a mode where the Start screen and apps don't exist.

xJavonta

Banned
Well, I still need to reinstall tomorrow on my SSD (took this chance to update the firmware tonight). I'm not sure if I'm just going to go back to Windows 7 or stick with 8. I'm really not caring for 8 one bit so far. I like the task manager...and that's about it. I hate everything to do with the start screen, and I hate how intrusive apps are (all my media files open in apps by default). If I could have Windows 7 with the new task manager, I'd be happier.

Microsoft just really needs to add a permanent desktop mode to this, a mode where the Start screen and apps don't exist.

How long have you used it? It's really not that bad, and the improvements to the desktop side make the transition worth it.

I couldn't believe how much better file transfers were in Windows 8 in comparison to Windows 7. Also, Windows 7 just feels barren to me now in comparison to Windows 8

TheExodu5

Banned
How long have you used it? It's really not that bad, and the improvements to the desktop side make the transition worth it.

I couldn't believe how much better file transfers were in Windows 8 in comparison to Windows 7. Also, Windows 7 just feels barren to me now in comparison to Windows 8

I've just been using it for a few hours now.

The task manager is the biggest improvement to me. Very nice. The file transfer dialog is definitely way more informative, but it's more of a nice to have feature than anything, as the transfers don't appear to be any faster. As for the performance improvements...while they must be great for HDD users, as an SSD user, I wasn't really seeing any difference in boot times and responsiveness (in fact, responsiveness seemed worse for some reason, but maybe that's because I installed in IDE mode).

I'll try Start8 tomorrow and see if I like it better.

edit: oh, you can pause file transfers. I really like that.

StudioTan

You don't have to use the apps, ever. Just right-click a media file and select Open With then Choose Default Program and change the default behaviour.

Once you spend some time customizing your start screen it just becomes a launcher.

For example:

TheExodu5

Banned
You don't have to use the apps, ever. Just right-click a media file and select Open With then Choose Default Program and change the default behaviour.

Yeah I realize that. I guess I don't need to complain to much about it, though I'm still bothered by the fact that there's no way to avoid these apps without micro managing each file type.

Once you spend some time customizing your start screen it just becomes a launcher.

For example:

Now that's a lot more interesting to me. Is there any way to browse or pin folders within the Start screen? I've always wanted a convenient media launcher, but never found a solution in Windows 7 that worked better than the file explorer.

How do you create those categories? I can't figure it out.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I personally pinned almost everything I need to the taskbar, so there's almost no reason to use the Start pane. Also, since my resolution is pretty low (1360 x 768) I only see a few rows, which is inconvenient. I wish I could set tiles to half the size by default, without zooming out. I wish MS would have just scaled them for smaller screens.

What was the thread to customize tiles though?

Yeah I realize that. I guess I don't need to complain to much about it, though I'm still bothered by the fact that there's no way to avoid these apps without micro managing each file type.
You can always do the default programs thing as in previous versions.

WIN+W > "Default Programs"

If your installed programs have the option, you can change them there. However, I did run into issues where some file types still remained set to one or another program. Which did make the micromanaging annoying, since it's supposed to be automated by that process.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really disappointed by the split pane feature for metro apps. I was really looking forward to putting Netflix in a small part of the screen while retaining my desktop. Annoyingly, the size can't be customized...I'm stuck with a really tiny video window and I can't make it any bigger by dragging it. Shame.

StudioTan

YNow that's a lot more interesting to me. Is there any way to browse or pin folders within the Start screen? I've always wanted a convenient media launcher, but never found a solution in Windows 7 that worked better than the file explorer.

How do you create those categories? I can't figure it out.

To pin a folder, right-click it in the File Browser and select Pin To Start.

To create the headings over the sections in the Start menu, click the little minus sign in the lower right or hold control and scroll down with your mouse wheel to go to full view, then right-click any section and click Name Group at the bottom.

Check out this thread for adding your own custom tile images like in the examples I gave.

Pachimari

I just started up my desktop computer from 2008 again and I'm running Vista. Should I go Wndows 7 or can I try out Windows 8 for the 90 days and then go back to my Vista?

nan0

I just started up my desktop computer from 2008 again and I'm running Vista. Should I go Wndows 7 or can I try out Windows 8 for the 90 days and then go back to my Vista?

I think you can't try out Win8 anymore, since it has to be activated immediately but I'm not sure. It doesn't really matter though, both 7 and 8 are pretty much a straight upgrade from Vista, especially on less powerful computers.

Nero3000

So after using an iPad (after a month of the surface) I notice myself doing a few things:

¬ Swiping in from the left to change apps
¬ Swiping left and right in IE10 to go back and forward/next page
¬ Trying to do semantic zoom everywhere, particularly the home screen
¬ Swiping on the right to go home

Microsoft have got something very right with Windows 8.

Pachimari

I think you can't try out Win8 anymore, since it has to be activated immediately but I'm not sure. It doesn't really matter though, both 7 and 8 are pretty much a straight upgrade from Vista, especially on less powerful computers.
So I'll be able to upgrade to Windows 8 from my Vista for those $40?

TheExodu5

Banned
What did you expect it to do?

Allow me to browse the folder within the Start menu.

This is my issue with Windows 8 so far. The two environments (Desktop, ModernUI) feel entirely detached, and they don't go together well at all. Some settings and functionality are in one environment, but not in the other. It's a confusing experience.

edit: well that's a little annoying. I bought an upgrade key. When I booted off the Windows disc, it let me install Windows using this key no problem. However, now it's asking me to activate, and when I enter the key, it just says "it didn't work". No explanation whatsoever. Clearly I needed to install Windows 7 or something beforehand, but why it would let me get this far I don't know. Why can't I just enter in my Windows 7 key as well? This feels really arbitrary.

Exuro

I'm really disappointed by the split pane feature for metro apps. I was really looking forward to putting Netflix in a small part of the screen while retaining my desktop. Annoyingly, the size can't be customized...I'm stuck with a really tiny video window and I can't make it any bigger by dragging it. Shame.
Yeah I tried this out for a bit and then just realized the web version is so much better.

Mr_Zombie

Quick question: how does the upgrade from Win7 to Win8 works? Do I get a CD-key and can simply download Win8 from Internet and install a fresh copy of the system using the CD-key, or do I have to install Win7 each time and then upgrade it to Win8?

I want to buy my parents a new laptop now, but the model I want is currently available only with Win7HP and thus I was thinking of the promotion on Win8 upgrade. But I don't want to go through install Win7 -> upgrade to Win8 process each time I want to reinstall the system (and knowing my dad and his habit to install everything he finds on the Internet, I will have to do so at least once a year).

TheExodu5

Banned
Quick question: how does the upgrade from Win7 to Win8 works? Do I get a CD-key and can simply download Win8 from Internet and install a fresh copy of the system using the CD-key, or do I have to install Win7 each time and then upgrade it to Win8?

I want to buy my parents a new laptop now, but the model I want is currently available only with Win7HP and thus I was thinking of the promotion on Win8 upgrade. But I don't want to go through install Win7 -> upgrade to Win8 process each time I want to reinstall the system (and knowing my dad and his habit to install everything he finds on the Internet, I will have to do so at least once a year).

Seems like you need to install both. It let me do a clean install using the upgrade key, however now that I have to activate it, it tells me the key doesn't work. =\

surly

Banned

Windows 8 has built in refresh and reset features.

Reset = the equivalent of formatting the PC and doing a fresh install of Windows 8, so you lose everything but are back to a nice fresh install.

Refresh = resets Windows 8 so it's like a fresh install, but it keeps your personal data and Metro apps.

So if your folks mess up the PC you have a couple of options there you could use, rather than doing the traditional boot from install CD - format - fresh install.

Also, I installed Windows 8 Pro on a laptop using the upgrade version and then I used an install CD I'd made to boot from, format the drive, the reinstall Windows 8 Pro again and it worked fine. I think it just checks to see if there's a qualifying version of Windows on the drive already, and if Windows 8 is already on there, that counts - it worked for me anyway.

Another, better option (IMO) is to get the laptop set up for your parents exactly how they want it, with all software installed, settings tweaked etc., then create an image of the drive using the free version of Macrium Reflect. If something goes drastically wrong you can use that image to go back to the exact state the laptop was in when the image was made. In fact, you can create a custom refresh image in Windows 8 itself to do that if you like.

You have several options anyway!

TheExodu5

Banned
Windows 8 has built in refresh and reset features.

Reset = the equivalent of formatting the PC and doing a fresh install of Windows 8, so you lose everything but are back to a nice fresh install.

Refresh = resets Windows 8 so it's like a fresh install, but it keeps your personal data and Metro apps.

So if your folks mess up the PC you have a couple of options there you could use, rather than doing the traditional boot from install CD - format - fresh install.

The question is whether or not malware or viruses find a way to survive the reset or refresh.

Pachimari

Probably not the right thread but at least it's Windows.

I bought a 24" monitor yesterday and set it up and my Windows XP were in full screen, now I got Vista on it and the screen isn't filled out. Instead it have black bars all around the screen.

How can I get it to fill the whole screen?

On the monitor itself I can choose Full and Aspect but nothing changes and its the same when I change the resolution. =/

Top Bottom