• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Jzero

Nice, my moms Laptop with quad core I7 CPU at 2.2Ghz felt kinda sluggish on Windows 7, even when I reformatted the HDD. After installing Win8 Pro upgrade with many programs and stuff it's really really fast on it compared to Win 7 :) She is incredibly happy that she upgraded :))
That's weird that it was slow with an i7

gconsole

But MS does provide an ISO! When the assistant downloads the OS, it asks if you want to make an ISO file. I imagine you didn't pass through this process.

It was a pain before I can finally reach that ISO. And even with ISO I still stuck with the embeded serial on my machine. I actually pass through every step possible for installing this OS I guess.

MrBig

It was a pain before I can finally reach that ISO. And even with ISO I still stuck with the embeded serial on my machine. I actually pass through every step possible for installing this OS I guess.

Using the upgrade assistant was fairly straight forward for me...
Enter billing information > enter $15 code and purchase > it gives you a serial within the app and MS emails you > starts OS download > lets you choose to immediately start installing, create a boot-able device, or save the ISO.

sangreal

it is a pain that you cant download the iso outside of the tool, but i'm not sure what you mean about the serial? they email a copy of the key to you

Shambles

Bah! I put in a media center serial that ended up already being used on another computer. Now Windows is complaining that I don't have a valid activation and even though I submitted a request on their website its doubtful I'll get another key before it doesn't work any longer. My own fault for waiting until tonight to do this. Any way I can just revert it back to normal Windows 8 Pro without having to re-install the entire operating system?

Jzero

Bah! I put in a media center serial that ended up already being used on another computer. Now Windows is complaining that I don't have a valid activation and even though I submitted a request on their website its doubtful I'll get another key before it doesn't work any longer. My own fault for waiting until tonight to do this. Any way I can just revert it back to normal Windows 8 Pro without having to re-install the entire operating system?
What i did was to go to the PC settings and click activate. Then i kept restarting until it re-activated.

Shambles

What i did was to go to the PC settings and click activate. Then i kept restarting until it re-activated.

In the 'Windows Activation' settings there's a button that says 'Activate with a new key' and 'Buy a new key'. Did you just re-entering your key over and over?

Jzero

In the 'Windows Activation' settings there's a button that says 'Activate with a new key' and 'Buy a new key'. Did you just re-entering your key over and over?
Neither, i just waited on that page for a little bit and it re-activated by itself.

Emergency!! Ok so I went through the upgrade assistant on my pc running vista 32 bit, and it automatically downloaded the 32 bit win8 iso, which I installed and activated (before knowing it was 32 bit). My pc is more than capable of the 64 bit OS, and that's what I want. If I get the 64 bit iso, will i be able to install that instead, using the same product key I already bought and activated on my 32 bit version? Sorry if this has already been answered.

jokkir

Anyone else's Messenger app really slow at updating peoples messages to you? Or missing messages? I linked my Facebook account to it and I get only selected messages and/or alerts me when a new message came a bit late.

Any way to fix this?

jsnepo

Anyone else's Messenger app really slow at updating peoples messages to you? Or missing messages? I linked my Facebook account to it and I get only selected messages and/or alerts me when a new message came a bit late.

Any way to fix this?

Happens to me. Some conversations don't get updated. Some responses gets through all at the same time. It's really inefficient.

Koroviev

Emergency!! Ok so I went through the upgrade assistant on my pc running vista 32 bit, and it automatically downloaded the 32 bit win8 iso, which I installed and activated (before knowing it was 32 bit). My pc is more than capable of the 64 bit OS, and that's what I want. If I get the 64 bit iso, will i be able to install that instead, using the same product key I already bought and activated on my 32 bit version? Sorry if this has already been answered.

Is Vista still installed on a partition? If so, I would do a clean install of Windows 8. Your key should work fine.

Is Vista still installed on a partition? If so, I would do a clean install of Windows 8. Your key should work fine.

No, vista is no longer installed in any way, windows 8 overwrote it. I don't have the 64 bit .iso yet (read I need to download that from a pc with a 64 bit OS installed), but just wanted to make sure the key would still work with the 64 bit version even after I used it on the 32 bit installation originally, and it doesn't "lock" itself to a 32 bit installation only.

Koroviev

No, vista is no longer installed in any way, windows 8 overwrote it. I don't have the 64 bit .iso yet (read I need to download that from a pc with a 64 bit OS installed), but just wanted to make sure the key would still work with the 64 bit version even after I used it on the 32 bit installation originally, and it doesn't "lock" itself to a 32 bit installation only.

No, I think you'll be fine. The only thing is that you do need an old OS (XP or above) to use an upgrade copy. Basically, the key needs to see a pre-existing Windows partition in order to work. If you happen to have an old XP disk lying around, then you can pop that in and then load Windows 8 once it has finished doing a quick format. You don't have to activate XP. Not sure if a similar trick would work with Vista or 7 disks.

No, I think you'll be fine. The only thing is that you do need an old OS (XP or above) to use an upgrade copy. Basically, the key needs to see a pre-existing Windows partition in order to work. If you happen to have an old XP disk lying around, then you can pop that in and then load Windows 8 once it has finished doing a quick format. You don't have to activate XP. Not sure if a similar trick would work with Vita or 7.

You mean when I create a bootable .iso disk and try to do a clean install from boot up, it wont work unless there is an existing windows partition?

Koroviev

You mean when I create a bootable .iso disk and try to do a clean install from boot up, it wont work unless there is an existing windows partition?

No, I don't think so. The thing about Windows 8 is that, unlike previous versions of Windows, it asks for a key at the start of the install, at which point it distinguishes full version keys from upgrade keys. If you have an upgrade key, then the install client is going to look for a partition.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this one, but that's what I've been told.

But if I am right, then it's really not a big deal. As I said, you don't even need to activate the other Windows OS. The drive simply needs to have a partition for it.

jokkir

Happens to me. Some conversations don't get updated. Some responses gets through all at the same time. It's really inefficient.

Anyway to fix this or any fix soon? It seems kind of great that I can have all my messages there but if it doesn't work, I dont see a point

No, I don't think so. The thing about Windows 8 is that, unlike previous versions of Windows, it asks for a key at the start of the install, at which point it distinguishes full version keys from upgrade keys. If you have an upgrade key, then the install client is going to look for a partition.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this one, but that's what I've been told.

But if I am right, then it's really not a big deal. As I said, you don't even need to activate the other Windows OS. The drive simply needs to have a partition for it.

Well that's kind of a pain. Not a deal breaker though. Thanks

I just bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8 for someone who isn't great with computers and uses it mainly for Skype and Facebook. I can already tell switching between the Metro interface and the regular windows desktop along with the idea of not being able to use Skype on the desktop without installing a second version of Skype is going to drive everyone involved crazy. Wish me luck.

TTOOLL

Guys, I had been using W8 since the release preview than I bought the product at launch and I was happy with it. Great OS.
But now....damn, after using it with a touchscreen notebook by Asus I'm blown away. It's insanely fun!

Is it just me or are the Store and Xbox Live down? I can't login to get my precious cheevos nor can I get the three updates the Store-liveapp is promising me :(

kitch9

Banned
I just bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8 for someone who isn't great with computers and uses it mainly for Skype and Facebook. I can already tell switching between the Metro interface and the regular windows desktop along with the idea of not being able to use Skype on the desktop without installing a second version of Skype is going to drive everyone involved crazy. Wish me luck.

Well don't have 2 versions of Skype, just have the one they prefer to use.

It's really not difficult.

SPDIF

Is it just me or are the Store and Xbox Live down? I can't login to get my precious cheevos nor can I get the three updates the Store-liveapp is promising me :(

Yeah it's not working for me either. Although Live on the 360 seems perfectly fine. According to Xbox.com, everything is up apart from SmartGlass on Windows Phone.

So I went ahead and got the Thinkpad Twist 2 days ago. Its pretty frigging amazing. I'm in love with tablet mode. Also I don't see what everyone is saying about desktop mode sucking on touch, I find it alright.

Upgraded 2 days ago and its been clean sailing ever since.

Yeah I dont entirely hate the start screen stuff. Would be nice if the Windows Store had anything worthwhile though. Why dont they even sell old GFWL games on there or something? Its all just tablet stuff. Maybe they only allow stuff that runs on RT in the store?

SPDIF

Upgraded 2 days ago and its been clean sailing ever since.

Yeah I dont entirely hate the start screen stuff. Would be nice if the Windows Store had anything worthwhile though. Why dont they even sell old GFWL games on there or something? Its all just tablet stuff. Maybe they only allow stuff that runs on RT in the store?

Pretty much. Although if the developer wishes, they can list their desktop software/games in the store too. For example, GTA IV is listed there.

Shambles

Still have Windows 8 think it's not valid since I entered the media center code that was already activated on a different computer. Doesn't look like they'll email another in time. Form what I hear today you can still activate. If anyone has an extra media center serial they could spare I'd greatly appreciate it over having to re-install the whole OS again.

jsnepo

Anyway to fix this or any fix soon? It seems kind of great that I can have all my messages there but if it doesn't work, I dont see a point

I don't know. The app is indeed great only if it is working. I'm hoping Microsoft will release an app update.

Still have Windows 8 think it's not valid since I entered the media center code that was already activated on a different computer. Doesn't look like they'll email another in time. Form what I hear today you can still activate. If anyone has an extra media center serial they could spare I'd greatly appreciate it over having to re-install the whole OS again.

I have an extra. Check PM.

TheExodu5

Banned
SMAA injector and SweetFX don't appear to work on Windows 8. =\

Anyone know a workaround? This is big enough to get me to move back to Windows 7.

Ran rp

Does anyone know why explorer doesn't jump to a newly placed file after I drag and drop it into a folder? It just jumps to the bottom and it's making it difficult to find the file I just placed there :/

Well after a few days of windows 8 I switched back to 7. The main reason was that I couldn't get my scanner to work on 8 but it works perfectly fine on 7, however 8 had some annoyances and other than the new task manager didn't really improve anything in my experience. Most of the annoyances come from metro, even when using something like startisback metro still shows its ugly head at times. Like the default music program is a metro app that takes over the entire screen, how was that ever a good idea? If I'm doing something in desktop mode and click on a song it completely takes over what I was doing then you have to sort thru what was designed for touch interface with a mouse to get back to the desktop and once you are back you have no way to control the song that is playing other than opening back up the full screen metro app. Yeah I realize you can just pick another default music program, which I did, it's just an annoyance that I don't want to deal with in windows having it try to force you into metro mode whenever it can. I would have been much happier with an update for windows 7 that just gave some of the "under the hood" improvements and new task manager

Top Bottom