• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well after a few days of windows 8 I switched back to 7. The main reason was that I couldn't get my scanner to work on 8 but it works perfectly fine on 7, however 8 had some annoyances and other than the new task manager didn't really improve anything in my experience. Most of the annoyances come from metro, even when using something like startisback metro still shows its ugly head at times. Like the default music program is a metro app that takes over the entire screen, how was that ever a good idea? If I'm doing something in desktop mode and click on a song it completely takes over what I was doing then you have to sort thru what was designed for touch interface with a mouse to get back to the desktop and once you are back you have no way to control the song that is playing other than opening back up the full screen metro app. Yeah I realize you can just pick another default music program, which I did, it's just an annoyance that I don't want to deal with in windows having it try to force you into metro mode whenever it can. I would have been much happier with an update for windows 7 that just gave some of the "under the hood" improvements and new task manager
You can change the default applications for files by using default programs utility

Shambles

Well after a few days of windows 8 I switched back to 7. The main reason was that I couldn't get my scanner to work on 8 but it works perfectly fine on 7, however 8 had some annoyances and other than the new task manager didn't really improve anything in my experience. Most of the annoyances come from metro, even when using something like startisback metro still shows its ugly head at times. Like the default music program is a metro app that takes over the entire screen, how was that ever a good idea? If I'm doing something in desktop mode and click on a song it completely takes over what I was doing then you have to sort thru what was designed for touch interface with a mouse to get back to the desktop and once you are back you have no way to control the song that is playing other than opening back up the full screen metro app. Yeah I realize you can just pick another default music program, which I did, it's just an annoyance that I don't want to deal with in windows having it try to force you into metro mode whenever it can. I would have been much happier with an update for windows 7 that just gave some of the "under the hood" improvements and new task manager

You can also completely disable metro and the hot corners using Classic Shell or Start8. I'm assuming there's an option for it in Startisback as well. If you set it up the way you want it it's like metro doesn't even exist.

Edit: I might have misunderstood. Are you seeing metro when you mouse to the corners, or use the windows button? Because that's what you can disable. If you're just up in arms because Windows has the nerve to have it's own default applications that go out of there way to ask you if you would prefer to use something else than I don't see there being much to complain about. Hardware incompatibilities suck though :S

Just noticed I can navigate the start screen with keyboard arrows but for whatever reason I cant jump around using a xbox controller. Someone should get on that.

Lmo911

Installed Media Centre to Windows 8 and it has deactivated my copy of Windows, what the heck caused that?

Just put the media center key in to reactivate it. For some reason it transfers the install to that key from the original windows 8 key. I have no clue why though.

Gianny

Just a question guys, I am about to receive my new laptop pc and bought a copy of Windows 8 PRO pack (box with code at university store). It has no DVD drive so I will have to use USB.

How do I download a .ISO of Windows 8 to do a clean install of new pc? Thanks

xJavonta

Banned
I can't find where I'm supposed to put the key in. The "activate" tab under settings says it cannot connect or something like that.

PEOPLE USE IE7 AND WINDOWS XP AS THEIR DAILY DRIVER

tumblr_mbhlluAOI91qg7cgfo1_500.gif

Koroviev

Many companies (mine included) still use XP for their work environment.

Oh, I know that. For the past three months I've been assisting the company I work for in upgrading all of the ancient XP machines to Windows 8 machines with i3s, 8GB of RAM, and SSDs.

Zabka

Just a question guys, I am about to receive my new laptop pc and bought a copy of Windows 8 PRO pack (box with code at university store). It has no DVD drive so I will have to use USB.

How do I download a .ISO of Windows 8 to do a clean install of new pc? Thanks

If your new PC comes with Windows 8 you might be able to just plug in the code as an upgrade. I was able to apply an Action Pack 8 Pro code to an OEM 8 on a Dell.

Jzero

Can the upgrade still be purchased for 14.99 with a promo code (since the price jumped to 199.99)?
I'm pretty sure you missed out buddy.

Edit: actually, i'm wrong.

$14.99 Offer said:
You must purchase a qualified Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 to be eligible for this offer. The last day to register and order your Windows 8 upgrade is February 28, 2013.

jediyoshi

on my laptop, tuned back my visual effects down to these

CXQC02V.jpg

feels like a new computer at this point. i think the win8 vs actually looks better without the window shadows

Just realized my school offered win8pro free so I threw it on my laptop for the performance benefit
Installed startisback and all is well

http://i.imgur.com/s8Rc61n.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I'm looking into upgrading my laptop OS to either windows 7 or 8. Was leaning toward 7, but if startisback works well, I might reconsider. Anyone else have any experience with it? My laptop is an old [URL="http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2008/Avalon/1015801R/1015801Rsp2.shtml"][B]gateway[/B][/URL] that is really slow now. Reformatting it would do wonders I'm sure, but I'd like to reinstall a new OS too. If 8 would speed it up that would be awesome. But if there isn't a huge difference (I'm not concerned about boot up times) i might stick to 7.

EDIT:
Just ran the windows 8 upgrade assistant. Doesn't look like it's worth the effort. Screen resolution isn't high enough and some other issues. Looks like windows 7 it is, which is fine.

maeh2k

I'm looking into upgrading my laptop OS to either windows 7 or 8. Was leaning toward 7, but if startisback works well, I might reconsider. Anyone else have any experience with it? My laptop is an old gateway that is really slow now. Reformatting it would do wonders I'm sure, but I'd like to reinstall a new OS too. If 8 would speed it up that would be awesome. But if there isn't a huge difference (I'm not concerned about boot up times) i might stick to 7.

EDIT:
Just ran the windows 8 upgrade assistant. Doesn't look like it's worth the effort. Screen resolution isn't high enough and some other issues. Looks like windows 7 it is, which is fine.

Just how low is your resolution? You don't need 1366x768 for Windows 8. 1280x800 works really well, but you can't use two Metro apps side-by-side. If the resolution is lower you might not be able to run Metro apps at all. But if you plan on turning it into Windows 7 anyway, that may not be much of an issue.

Just how low is your resolution? You don't need 1366x768 for Windows 8. 1280x800 works really well, but you can't use two Metro apps side-by-side. If the resolution is lower you might not be able to run Metro apps at all. But if you plan on turning it into Windows 7 anyway, that may not be much of an issue.
1280x800 is what my laptop can do.

I'm sure this has come up before. Is there a fix for the issue when Metro apps just decide to stop working? I uninstalled some and re-installed them and fine. But some, like weather, just load forever now.

Well I have used Windows 8 extensively for the past week with a 23" Dell Touch Screen monitor... and here are some short impressions.

Pros
OS ultra fast top down.
Feels like Windows 7 on speed.
Love some of the Metro Apps; USA Today, Paint, Travel, Bing, and IE10 apps are great about 28k apps available in my region.
Charms and Power User right-click on desktop is awesome.
Jumplist from start screen is ultra useful.

Cons
Cant easily redirect where apps install.
Big apps are non existant... I mean its WINDOWS FFS you can't get a Facebook/Youtube/blah blah blah app going, granted the web browsers is more than fine but still. Get on it.
The should allow a background creator that follows a certain template, so you can still customize, but retain the needs of the 'metro' environment.
Tutorial is useless. They really should have though that out more.

JMizzlin

I just upgraded to Windows 8 from 7.. on my Mac's bootcamp partition. I feel like this may have been a stupid thing to do as I'm now having trouble.

Upon initial upgrade it all worked fine and I was enjoying the OS. However I shut down and rebooted and now I can't get back in. I get a flash of the blue :( screen of death and then it restarts.

Occasionally it'll hang at the 'preparing automatic repair' but won't progress beyond that. I've tried to fn+alt+F8 into safe mode but no dice.

Contacted Microsoft support and they couldn't really help with the Mac side of things but said I needed to install W8 from the architecture pre-existent on the partition.

Any tips? I foolishly didn't create a media backup. Really don't want to purge and create a new partition.

I just upgraded to Windows 8 from 7.. on my Mac's bootcamp partition. I feel like this may have been a stupid thing to do as I'm now having trouble.
You're right: it was a stupid thing to do.

Hopefully you made an image backup so you can just drop Windows 7 back on the machine. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until Apple releases proper drivers to get back a lot of the basic Bootcamp features. That may not be until Summer. If you didn't make an image... considering how easy it is to do for the Bootcamp partition right in OSX...well that sucks.

You really should have googled "Bootcamp Windows 8" before upgrading or at least asked in one of the Mac/OSX threads. :-(

Sarquiss_

About to reformat my machine but lost my Windows 8 Enterprise USB key and my MSDN account is not working :(

Does anyone have any links to an untouched Windows 8 Enterprise ISO?

jediyoshi

1280x800 is what my laptop can do.

If you plan on using startisback, then resolution is only as important as how useful it is to you in desktop mode. You boot straight into it and won't have a single reason to swap back over. By the time you disable the charms, it's pretty much identical to windows 7 aside from lack of transparent window chrome

Wiz

So after almost a week of having Windows 8 on my laptop, gotta say I am really loving it. It's actually a pleasure to use. I also got a 4-year subscription to Office 2013 for only $79.99. Good deal.

One question though, is Media Center worth the $4.99? I missed out on the free promo (I got Windows 8 on February 1st...promotion ended on Jan 31...), but would like to have a sort of hub on my computer for all my media stuff instead of going thru different sites/folder/music/video players etc.

SPDIF

I know there were a few people who were interested in this, so I'm just letting people know that the mobile browser app that I was working on won't be making it to the store anytime soon. At least until MS have updated their WinRT APIs.

The whole point of the app was to obviously display the mobile site of websites. Since there's no "built in" way of doing this, I came up with my own solution, and it worked perfectly (on ARM and x86).

The problem being, it referenced an API that isn't officially supported by WinRT which of course meant it wouldn't pass certification. I spent the past few weeks looking for an alternative solution, but came up with nothing. So for now I'll be putting this project on hold and will start looking at something else.

If it turns out that in the future the app is able to pass certification, and anybody still cares enough, I'll submit it then.

I have had a new PC since May'12 and my trial version of windows 8 is up. So now I have to make a decision.

7 or 8

ugh.. what do you guys think?

I know there were a few people who were interested in this, so I'm just letting people know that the mobile browser app that I was working on won't be making it to the store anytime soon. At least until MS have updated their WinRT APIs.

The whole point of the app was to obviously display the mobile site of websites. Since there's no "built in" way of doing this, I came up with my own solution, and it worked perfectly (on ARM and x86).

The problem being, it referenced an API that isn't officially supported by WinRT which of course meant it wouldn't pass certification. I spent the past few weeks looking for an alternative solution, but came up with nothing. So for now I'll be putting this project on hold and will start looking at something else.

If it turns out that in the future the app is able to pass certification, and anybody still cares enough, I'll submit it then.

So...can't you just put out a version that supports ARM and x86 only?

I thought RT was going to have apps specific to it anyway.

SPDIF

So...can't you just put out a version that supports ARM and x86 only?

I thought RT was going to have apps specific to it anyway.

Well ARM and x86 are the only two architectures that you can support. When I said the API isn't officially supported by WinRT I was talking about the Windows Runtime not Windows RT (confusing I know).

Basically what I'm saying is the app runs fine across all architectures, x86 and ARM (which is essentially Windows RT), but WinRT has a certain set of API's that you have to use to create your app. The API that I referenced in my app is not officially supported by WinRT.

So although it runs fine across all architectures, it can't be submitted because it's using an unsupported API.

Top Bottom