• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

PG2G

Well ARM and x86 are the only two architectures that you can support. When I said the API isn't officially supported by WinRT I was talking about the Windows Runtime not Windows RT (confusing I know).

Basically what I'm saying is the app runs fine across all architectures, x86 and ARM (which is essentially Windows RT), but WinRT has a certain set of API's that you have to use to create your app. The API that I referenced in my app is not officially supported by WinRT.

So although it runs fine across all architectures, it can't be submitted because it's using an unsupported API.

Kind of curious what API it is. Aren't there apps on Windows Phone that allow you to change browser agent?

SPDIF

Kind of curious what API it is. Aren't there apps on Windows Phone that allow you to change browser agent?

Yeah there are. They do that by sending additional HTTP headers to set the user agent. Although you can do something similar in Windows 8 the results aren't the same (it often results in just breaking the page). The API I used was UrlMkSetSessionOption.

It's been around since the XP days, so now that I think about it I guess it was kind of stupid of me to assume it would be supported, but Visual Studio didn't throw up any errors so I assumed I was good to go.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've had enough. Lot's of games on Steam don't work. XBMC doesn't work properly. I miss the start menu items.

Windows 8 is just horrible. I'm going back to Windows 7 until they sort out this mess.

Beaner

This was a home build so I don't have a windows 7 computer to upgrade from. I do have a windows 7 laptop but it was purchased before the dates on the promo.

FFFFFFfffffffffff

Doesn't matter. I used the OEM cd key I bought when I built my PC outside the eligibility dates, along with saying I bought an hp from an "other" store. Main thing is to have a valid key I think.

Echoplx

This was a home build so I don't have a windows 7 computer to upgrade from. I do have a windows 7 laptop but it was purchased before the dates on the promo.

FFFFFFfffffffffff

You can just download a Win 7 iso, install it and upgrade during the trial period. They don't verify the purchase dates either so you can just put whatever you want.

Doesn't matter. I used the OEM cd key I bought when I built my PC outside the eligibility dates, along with saying I bought an hp from an "other" store. Main thing is to have a valid key I think.

You can just download a Win 7 iso, install it and upgrade during the trial period. They don't verify the purchase dates either so you can just put whatever you want.

alright thanks! I will try some stuff tonight and see if I can get it to work.

Anyone know why this happens in IE10 with embedded Flash videos (desktop and Metro app)?

T1VsrwB.png

Chrome, for comparison:

If I watch the video straight from Vimeo or Youtube, they work fine. It only started happening the past few weeks.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I've had enough. Lot's of games on Steam don't work. XBMC doesn't work properly. I miss the start menu items.

Windows 8 is just horrible. I'm going back to Windows 7 until they sort out this mess.

Are you sure it's not something with your system? I haven't any games not work and these guys seems to be using XBMC just fine on Windows 8.

xJavonta

Banned

Lol

It's your computer, not Windows 8. You'll find that out soon enough.

Anyone know why this happens in IE10 with embedded Flash videos (desktop and Metro app)?

Chrome, for comparison:

If I watch the video straight from Vimeo or Youtube, they work fine. It only started happening the past few weeks.

blackmagic_zps1b32d40a.jpg

that is what I get, top video is playing, bottom one has the play button visible.

Alright. Six months using Windows 8 at home plus now having sat through two of Microsoft's official Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 classes, learning how to use the UI and do all the workflows the way Microsoft wants me to do them, I think I can say with some authority that Windows 8's user interface is unintuitive and slower at completing the same tasks with mouse and keyboard without heavy customization by the end user compared to Windows 7.

I love a lot of things about the OS. The under-the-hood improvements, the Modern UI on a touchscreen device, but for a desktop, it's not a good OS out of the box, and the OS should be getting out of the way for end users to do their work, whereas 8 requires heavy customization.

Some shortcuts that you may or may not know that makes navigating Windows 8 a bit faster:

Windows Key + E: Opens My Computer? (Rather than having to open Explorer, clicking my Computer, or going to the Start Menu and typing in My Computer because that's intuitive as fuck).
Windows Key + X: Opens up the administrative menu in the lower left corner (equivalent to right clicking the Start Charm).
Windows Key + R: Opens Run (OK, you probably know this, but since you can't just click the Start Menu anymore and run programs from the search box without leaving the Desktop, this one is particularly useful in 8).

TTOOLL

Anyone having issues with the power plans? In my Asus notebook it always revert to high performance. I have to click like 5 times to set the plan to balanced or power saver.

railGUN

Banned
So an app on my iPad updated the other day, called "Splashtop 2" which is a streaming / remote Desktop type app. The new update added support for Windows 8 gestures. I've been using it with my Windows 8 PC and it works surprisingly well. All the swipes work flawlessly, except for the top edge down swipe which works, but also shows the iOS notification tab. Using Metro apps from the start screen is pretty awesome. There is a slight lag but its more than tolerable.

Welcome back to the fold brother. Where's that Windows 7/Non-RT OT? In the community section?

Ars published their Acer W510 review, with the most fitting headline I could think off.

Review: Who needs Windows RT? Acer's Iconia W510 runs the real thing

The conclusion is the same as always, the Atom sucks and makes any device a not-so-good x86 machine, but compared to an ARM machine, there are no drawbacks. Performance is better than the Tegra 3 in Windows RT devices and you can still use your legacy applications if you want, even if the performance is somewhat bad and on top of that, you get similar or better battery life.

However, Ars raises a really good point about future compatibility and the upgrade path. Current Intel Atom CPUs don't support the 64-bit instruction set and with Windows 8 likely being the last 32-bit consumer version of Windows, the hardware might be a dead end in two or three years, when Windows 9 comes out. Not that I expect an upgrade for current RT devices either.

I have a quick question about that windows upgrade offer. Does windows 7 still work if you use the key to purchase win8?

thanks.

edit: looks like it doesn't effect it at all correct?

Omni

I upgraded to W8 a few days ago. I actually love it! Was kinda lost at first, but within an hour I had the hang of it all. It feels almost wrong to go back to W7, IMO.

My only real annoyance is that I had to buy a program to let me change the background image and colours of the start menu to something I wanted (probably could have done it manually, but didn't find anything online... It was only $5 and is quite useful, but still)

So I upgraded from Windows XP to Win7. I am looking to just wipe both my HDD's clean and start fresh with Windows 8. That $99 OEM version in the OP would work, yes? Anyone know of a retailer that carries it or is it just available online?

Griffin

So I upgraded from Windows XP to Win7. I am looking to just wipe both my HDD's clean and start fresh with Windows 8. That $99 OEM version in the OP would work, yes? Anyone know of a retailer that carries it or is it just available online?

Why don't you upgrade from 7 to 8 for $40?

Wubby

Can any win 8 guru's help me out? I had been using the release preview until last month when I bought and reinstalled 8.

Now when I switch to the metro screen most icons show up blank. If I go back to desktop then back to metro they all show up normally. I tried google but couldn't find anything.

System: 2600k, 570 GTX sli, 8gb ram, 256gb Vertex 4 ssd

Jzero

Can any win 8 guru's help me out? I had been using the release preview until last month when I bought and reinstalled 8.

Now when I switch to the metro screen most icons show up blank. If I go back to desktop then back to metro they all show up normally. I tried google but couldn't find anything.

System: 2600k, 570 GTX sli, 8gb ram, 256gb Vertex 4 ssd
Are those custom icons made with oblytile or are they just normal tiles?

Wubby

When you say re-install did you completely format the drive? Seems like something that could be caused by old files lingering from your previous install.

I did not format since there were some programs I wanted to keep. When Windows reinstalled it moved everything to a Windows.old folder. Could that be the cause?

Echoplx

I did not format since there were some programs I wanted to keep. When Windows reinstalled it moved everything to a Windows.old folder. Could that be the cause?

It's impossible to know for sure but I'd say there's a good chance a clean install will fix the problem, I don't think MS officially supported upgrading from the preview builds?

Ran rp

Hey guys my hard drive is failing and my replacement drive should be arriving in a few days. What would be the cleanest way to install Win 8 and restore my backup file to the new drive?

I'm already running 8, I just want to transfer everything over.

Jzero

PSY・S;47580040 said:
Hey guys my hard drive is failing and my replacement drive should be arriving in a few days. What would be the cleanest way to install Win 8 and restore my backup file to the new drive?

I'm already running 8, I just want to transfer everything over.
You can clone the drives (with a program like HDClone) if you have another computer to do it from. This is the fastest way to get up and running again.

Fewr

Guys, a question.

I have a non-genuine Windows 7 computer right now, I want to get W8, but I have been told I need a base key for W7 before I get 8.

I haven't found where to buy from microsoft a W7 key, stores around me no longer sell W7, only 8. What can I do to buy W7?

help

Guys, a question.

I have a non-genuine Windows 7 computer right now, I want to get W8, but I have been told I need a base key for W7 before I get 8.

I haven't found where to buy from microsoft a W7 key, stores around me no longer sell W7, only 8. What can I do to buy W7?

help

I had a fresh install of 7, skipped registration, and went to 8 with an upgrade copy. With no issues.

Koroviev

Are you sure? Everywhere I've looked (official and unofficial places) state that I need a Win7 key because Win8 is only an update, not a separate OS.

No, you just need to format a partition with the old OS. You can format the drive with XP and it will work just fine. No activation required.

t-ramp

Are you sure? Everywhere I've looked (official and unofficial places) state that I need a Win7 key because Win8 is only an update, not a separate OS.
You must be looking in the wrong places. All it really takes for an "upgrade" is an existing OS on the drive, whether activated or not.

Fewr

Ah, ok.

I see what you mean now. I might need a system builder version.

From amazon:
Not sure if you need the upgrade version or the full version? You can purchase the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro if you're currently running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP on your PC. If you're not running Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP on your PC, you'll need to purchase the System Builder version of Windows 8. Purchase Windows 8 Pro Pack (Win 8 to Win 8 Pro Upgrade) if you are currently running Windows 8 and would like to run Windows 8 Pro.
I'm running an unofficial version of Win7 Ultimate, so I think I would need this in order to get an official Windows.

EDIT:
You must be looking in the wrong places. All it really takes for an "upgrade" is an existing OS on the drive, whether activated or not.
Hmmm... so I could just buy this and that's it?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H3SW4I/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I'd be running an official version of windows?

The people at microsoft said it wasn't possible, that I needed a Win7 base key before. Now that someone here has mentioned s/he has done it over a trial version I think MS people were deceiving me.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
These two registry tweaks makes Windows 8 much better:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\EdgeUI]
"DisableCharmsHint"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"MouseCornerClipLength"="0"

Gets rid of the obnoxious, ridiculously sensitive charms bar, and that magnet in the top corner of a monitor that grabs your mouse so that you exit an app in the left monitor when you were attempting to hit the top right of your right monitor (so you can get the dumb charms bar with 2 monitors, which nobody cares about in desktop mode on the left monitor)

These should be the default settings for PC Pro. The magnet makes sense within the start screen and in modern apps, but keep that stuff away from multi-monitors on desktop. Makes no sense.

Seems there's some mods cooking up to basically chown your files so you can have that mouth breathing UAC enabled and still be the real admin. I absolutely hate Admin Approval Mode.

Top Bottom