• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

t-ramp

Hmmm... so I could just buy this and that's it?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H3SW4I/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I'd be running an official version of windows?

The people at microsoft said it wasn't possible, that I needed a Win7 base key before. Now that someone here has mentioned s/he has done it over a trial version I think MS people were deceiving me.
I'm almost positive you can install Windows 8 Upgrade over your previous Windows version of choice and activate without issue, regardless of whether the original OS was activated or not. However, since 8 requires entering the product activation code during installation, the old double-installation method that worked for 7 appears to be a non-option for 8.

But...

Apparently there is a trick involving adding a file to the installation media that can allow one to install 8 without entering the key. The registry-command combo involving MediaBootInstall and slmgr appears to still work if you get 8 installed but can't activate it as well.

Fewr

Ok, after all, I think I prefer the safe route so now I want to buy the system biulder version. Do you guys know of a shop that would ship this system builder dvd to internationals? I can't find it in my country (mexico), all I see are upgrades I think, is there a way to tell them apart?

Thanks for your help.

Tomcat

why the whats new section of the people app when its snapped doesn't auto refresh?
who at ms thought that this was a good idea?

I've been looking for a clear answer on this but I can't find anything.

Can I somehow use Microsoft Points I have left over to purchase items in the Windows 8 store?

dLMN8R

Posting here too. What do you think?

OK folks, time for me to choose. I have to choose between one of the following, no other choices:

ZenBook UX31A Touch
Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch
Dell XPS 12

The Samsing ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T is another choice, but based on reviews I think I'm going to avoid that one.

Hard to choose between the ZenBook and X1. Leaning toward the X1. Especially since it essentially has a 14" screen in the size of a 13" bezel.

I logged on to my Hotmail account on a different PC today to print something out, and now I can't access anything that uses my MSN account like Hotmail or Bing Rewards on my laptop I also can't log on to my bank account online, which is unrelated. When I click on the email tile it goes to a blue screen with the white envelope in the upper left corner and the little loading thing spinning endlessly. I also downloaded some updates for my PC today, and I'm not sure if either of these is causing the problems, but I'd love to find some way to fix it.

xJavonta

Banned
Decided to do a fresh install. Too much junk on my PC from upgrading and I started off W8 badly. Now that I'm acquainted with it the refresh should make it much more enjoyable to use.

Ran rp

Hey guys I need some help. My laptop's current hard drive is failing and my new one just arrived in the mail. I want to install Windows 8 on the new hard drive but I'm not sure how to approach this. So far I have a Windows 7 Recovery backup of all my important files on a 465 GB external hard drive. I was going to make a clone of my computer to restore on the new hard drive but the drive isn't big enough, so I made the W7R backup. So that backup is ready, but I'm not sure how I should begin to install Windows 8 on the new drive, and I can't seem to find my product key (I upgraded directly from a factory installed Windows 7).

Edit: Okay I was able to delete a bunch of stuff to get the current used space of my current drive under the total space of the external drive. So when I create a clone of my drive for the new HDD everything will be exactly as it was before, right? I can just replace the drive and get the copy onto there and I'm good to go?

Edit: So cloning didn't work. There were a few reading errors during the copy (about 40-50) and the new copy wouldn't boot. But I did manage to retrieve my Win8 product key, so I guess I just have to make another backup and do a clean install of Win 8 on the new hard drive.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Windows 8 gets props for the fact that you don't have to reboot after installing graphics drivers, it re-initiates your graphics card with new drivers on the fly! Future shit right there.

*thumbs up*

Koroviev

Windows 8 gets props for the fact that you don't have to reboot after installing graphics drivers, it re-initiates your graphics card with new drivers on the fly! Future shit right there.

*thumbs up*

My experience with Windows 8 and various drivers has been very positive overall.

*thumbs up*

You should give Vista props for that, not Windows 8. It's been part of the WDDM since 1.0.

Ok correction, first time that's ever worked without a prompt to reboot or a need to throughout my Vista > 7 > 8 experience.

Most of the times it's not the GPU driver that requires the reboot, but the bundled software like the AMD CCC or Nvidia ... whatever it's called and the runtimes they come with. I think it took AMD many, many months (don't want to say years, as I'm not 100% sure) after the Vista GA, before they shipped a package that didn't require a reboot. Still remember the disappointment after installing the new WDDM 1.0 driver the first time on the RTM and it still wanted a reboot.

It's also the reason why your PC doesn't BSOD anymore, when your GPU driver crashes. At least it shouldn't. Instead your screen goes black for a second and then comes back and gives a balloon tip about how your driver just crashed. I got fond memories of that, when I was still into overclocking.

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I had to reboot my PC, because of a GPU driver update. I know it can happen, it happened to me every now and then, but it was very rare on Windows 7.

weird. I don't remember the last time I had to reboot in order to complete a graphics card driver update.

Not any time on Windows 7 that I can recall.

Yup, same here.

Le-mo

I bought a laptop that came with windows 8 installed and I have been sitting here waiting for McAfee to uninstall and its almost been half an hour. What the hell is going on?

Alpha_eX

Just installed Windows 8 and ABSOLUTELY HATE putting my password in every time I turn it on. I live alone, no one is going to log in to my PC, I've never used a password. How can I disable this?

Google only tells me how to remove the lock-screen.

Other than that, it's slick and I really like it, even with a mouse.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just installed Windows 8 and ABSOLUTELY HATE putting my password in every time I turn it on. I live alone, no one is going to log in to my PC, I've never used a password. How can I disable this?

Not sure if you can remove it, but how about trying a simple picture password?

Ran rp

You can set a short pin code to make logging in quicker. I guess it's less safe, but ehh. I wish the finger scanner on my laptop still worked in 8.

Not sure if you can remove it, but how about trying a simple picture password?

I forgot about that. How does it work?

Jzero

Use a 4 digit pin or picture password instead.

Alpha_eX

Thanks for the replies, figured it out.

Hit Windows Key, type netplwiz and hit enter.
Click on your account from the list and uncheck the box "user must enter password"
Hit apply, put in your password and restart.

Incredibly fast start up, no password, no pin.

DarkFlow

Banned
I've had enough. Lot's of games on Steam don't work. XBMC doesn't work properly. I miss the start menu items.

Windows 8 is just horrible. I'm going back to Windows 7 until they sort out this mess.
I think something else is going on here that's not windows 8 fault. I can play all steam games fine, and XBMC works like a charm.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
PSY・S;47940335 said:
I forgot about that. How does it work?

Just go to settings->User->Create picture password, then select and image and create three points of gestures (points are easier with the mouse)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I'm doing it Peter! I'm upgrading to Windows 8!
mqdefault.jpg

See ya on the other side 7ers!

Alpha_eX

I basically want this:

353817-multiboot-startup-menu.jpg

I had a SATA drive with a messy install of Windows 7, it worked.
I bought an SSD, disconnected the W7 drive, installed W7 on the SSD then upgraded to W8.

The SSD has W8 and the older SATA drive still has Windows 7.

I can't see both devices in my boot priority list (Bios) but I can see them in my Sata list, I can change Sata priority to make either appear in my boot list, but only ever one.

How can I get it to see both and more importantly, how can I get Windows 8 to recognize this and give me that swish dual boot screen?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Windows 8 is really nice, I just want W7 to work as I have older files and apps on there.

Anyone else having issues with the Xbox Games app? My avatar shows up as a default gray one, clicking on the games shows just the game and the boxart and trying to view achievements causes a perpetual loading screen.

Jzero

Anyone else having issues with the Xbox Games app? My avatar shows up as a default gray one, clicking on the games shows just the game and the boxart and trying to view achievements causes a perpetual loading screen.
The Xbox App is actually the buggiest piece of shit in Windows 8. They are taking for ever to fix it.

Vyer

Guys what's the quickest way to get to Devices and Printers in W8? Can you pin that somehow to the start menu or is there a keyboard shortcut?

Jzero

Guys what's the quickest way to get to Devices and Printers in W8? Can you pin that somehow to the start menu or is there a keyboard shortcut?
Why are you going in it so often? I guess the fastest is to press the Windows key and search for "devices" and then click settings. There's also stuff you can download to make a shortcut.

Vyer

Why are you going in it so often? I guess the fastest is to press the Windows key and search for "devices" and then click settings. There's also stuff you can download to make a shortcut.

I'm often working with computers that aren't mine. As some employees are starting to get new machines with W8 as I'm setting them up I'm trying to find ways to move around it as quickly as I do 7. It's been kind of annoying.

Thanks.

dLMN8R

I think my most entertaining days of being a Microsoft employee are when I read an article by Paul Thurrott where he makes objectively factual statements with no hint of doubt, citing Microsoft employees as his sources, and they're just absolutely gob-smackingly incorrect

:lol:

I really think some people feed him incorrect stuff just to see him squirm when he realizes the stuff he's presented as "duh, everyone knows that", ends up being totally wrong.

I think my most entertaining days of being a Microsoft employee are when I read an article by Paul Thurrott where he makes objectively factual statements with no hint of doubt, citing Microsoft employees as his sources, and they're just absolutely gob-smackingly incorrect

:lol:

I really think some people feed him incorrect stuff just to see him squirm when he realizes the stuff he's presented as "duh, everyone knows that", ends up being totally wrong.

Do you happen to know Mark Russinovich personally? I'm quite a fan of his Sysinternals Utilities; I've got Process Explorer used as my Task Manager replacement.

I basically want this:

I had a SATA drive with a messy install of Windows 7, it worked.
I bought an SSD, disconnected the W7 drive, installed W7 on the SSD then upgraded to W8.

The SSD has W8 and the older SATA drive still has Windows 7.

I can't see both devices in my boot priority list (Bios) but I can see them in my Sata list, I can change Sata priority to make either appear in my boot list, but only ever one.

How can I get it to see both and more importantly, how can I get Windows 8 to recognize this and give me that swish dual boot screen?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Windows 8 is really nice, I just want W7 to work as I have older files and apps on there.
I'd say EasyBCD is what you need. I haven't used it personally, but I'm pretty sure a function of it is to show different OS's in the boot menu. I probably should use it, as I'm in a similar situation. If I boot using Disk 1, Windows 8 and Windows 8 Consumer Preview show up. However, I also have Linux installed on a Disk 0, but that's nowhere to be seen. Unless of course I change the boot order to Disk 0 first, but then Windows disappears.

I do have an issue with my dual boot. I want to get rid of the Consumer Preview, but it doesn't show up on my hard drive, it's strange.

On disk 0 is Linux (372GB). The 1483GB is just spare that I plan to use to store my videos and such. Disk 1 is Windows and Windows 8 Consumer Preview, but it doesn't show the partition. It is fully functional but it apparently doesn't exist. What.

Any ideas how I can get rid of it? Or, at least get it to show?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Right-click bottom left or press Win+X.
Select Control Panel
Right-click Devices and Printers
Pin to Start

Top Bottom