• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Killzig

http://www.neowin.net/news/stardock...d-resize-modern-windows-8-apps-on-the-desktop

lLiVgZ0.jpg

This is huge.

holy shit, someone finally fixed windows 8!

Only issue right now is closing apps. It closes them but they are still on the left side.

Probably an intentional choice, and Windows 8 apps are meant to be suspended, but if you give people the old UI, most are probably still going to completely close them.

k3Hdcga.png

You have to post Windows 8 threads on the gaming side, baka. Because Windows is, uhh, a gaming platform and all remotely negative news need to be posted there, so that the majority of GAF can be warned about this terrible, terrible OS.

When you're done, you need to state how you don't really hate the platform holder, that you're not biased and that you're positive about Windows 9.

Always follow the teachings of Riker, when you post a Windows 8 thread.

Walshicus

k3Hdcga.png

You have to post Windows 8 threads on the gaming side, baka. Because Windows is, uhh, a gaming platform and all remotely negative news need to be posted there, so that the majority of GAF can be warned about this terrible, terrible OS.

When you're done, you need to state how you don't really hate the platform holder, that you're not biased and that you're positive about Windows 9.

Always follow the teachings of Riker, when you post a Windows 8 thread.

I like to think that Thomas Riker actually quite likes Windows 8.

Blackhead

Redarse
The windows 8 app store is region locked, right? Is there any workaround for that?

Any app suggestions for:
Email app
PDF reader
Comic Reader
Twitter app
Backup utility (replacement for TimeMachine/SuperDuper/Carbon Copy Cloner on the Mac)
Bluray player and ripper
DLNA server
Download manager (to manage regular browser/ftp downloads not usenet or torrent clients per se — replacement for Speed Download on the Mac)
Rule based auto file handling utility (replacement for Hazel on the Mac)
Is Browser Chooser any good? (replacement for Choosy on the Mac)
Swype keyboard
What should I pick out from Ninite?

Any other tips to get started?

Woohoo

OddSpoon

Banned
Just bought a SONY VAIO 14" (touchscreen, 6GB RAM, i5, 750gb hd)

I'm a little overwhelmed with Windows 8--it's great with the touchscreen, yes.

Is there anyway I can emulate the start button?

dLMN8R

Yep. Always said this was the single biggst issue with the entire concept. How Microsoft did not grasp this is beyond me.

It's an cool tool for techies. It's defeating the entire point of Windows 8 for general consumers - to simplify things and get away from the confusion that multi-window interfaces introduce.

Windows 8 isn't perfect, but the lack of modern apps on the Desktop is not why. But it's cool that Stardock has hacked this together to enable it to work for those who want it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

dLMN8R

There was probably a Windows 7 thread 3 years ago where I talked about getting excited for Windows 8 :p don't read into it too much.

dLMN8R

Sweet, NextIssue finally gives me access on Windows 8/RT to the digital version of Entertainment Weekly for free since I'm a subscriber to the print magazine. One of the biggest things I missed since selling my Kindle Fire.

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/05208b7b-87c0-44c1-ada1-50fbb7eb0a79

And unlike what I expected, it's not a cheap scanned version of the print magazine. It's the same version from Kindle Fire and iOS that was re-formatted to be much better for tablets. Nice.

Vyer

don't understand the point of removing Managing Wireless Connections. I'm sure there's a workaround I'll have to research, but bleh

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Having a touch mouse makes navigating Windows 8 on a desktop much more enjoyable. Multitasking, switching apps, using app options and bringing up the charms is a breeze.

Mindwipe

Awesome editorial that details exactly what I've thought and failed to express for a while:

http://hal2020.com/2013/03/07/what-if-microsoft-had-done-windows-8-differently/

I'm excited for everyone to see what comes next :)

That's... not a very good piece. It makes several bad fundamental assumptions, and it's just wrong about historical facts.

The notion that Microsoft has tried to make Windows properly touchscreen friendly before is bunk. Sorry, but it is. Microsoft has never done even some of the very basic fundamentals before, such as making the open file API touch friendly on touch systems. So saying that it would automatically fail again is an unjustifable hypothesis.

The assumpion that Microsoft needed to damage it's core experience to push the Windows app store paradigm only works if the Windows app store paradigm doesn't turn out to be a miserable failure, as it rapidly seems to be turning into.

I'd note that if we look at the most postive view of Windows 8 - which is Gabe's Surface Pro review - it doesn't mention any metro apps. The positivity is entirely based on x86 software. The desire is there for it, but the hardware wasn't and is just coming into existance.

idk why but when i opened word 2013 a blue screen popped up telling me to activate windows 8. and then word was like we can't verify your license or something.

anyone have that issue before?

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Awesome editorial that details exactly what I've thought and failed to express for a while:

http://hal2020.com/2013/03/07/what-if-microsoft-had-done-windows-8-differently/

I'm excited for everyone to see what comes next :)

Finally! Someone who gets it. This was the best route to take minus some minor tweaking in terms of base app quality, but even a scenario where they would have fleshed out compelling apps take time, time they didn't have. Missing another holiday season would have been tragic.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
That's... not a very good piece. It makes several bad fundamental assumptions, and it's just wrong about historical facts.

The notion that Microsoft has tried to make Windows properly touchscreen friendly before is bunk. Sorry, but it is. Microsoft has never done even some of the very basic fundamentals before, such as making the open file API touch friendly on touch systems. So saying that it would automatically fail again is an unjustifable hypothesis.

The assumpion that Microsoft needed to damage it's core experience to push the Windows app store paradigm only works if the Windows app store paradigm doesn't turn out to be a miserable failure, as it rapidly seems to be turning into.

I'd note that if we look at the most postive view of Windows 8 - which is Gabe's Surface Pro review - it doesn't mention any metro apps. The positivity is entirely based on x86 software. The desire is there for it, but the hardware wasn't and is just coming into existance.

So your solution is making some tweaks to hit targets to get windows to run on a tablet. Sorry but guys like you are clueless.

So your solution is making some tweaks to hit targets to get windows to run on a tablet. Sorry but guys like you are clueless.

He is not clueless at all.

The only reason for Windows' continued success is backwards compatibility. Users want to use their old apps (Windows RT is guaranteed to fail). Developers don't want to invest money into whatever fancy new API MS develops, especially considering MS' horrible track record (Silverlight, XNA, WinForms).

All the Windows apps that are important to me will not be available in the Windows store any time soon, if ever. I'm talking about Chrome, Steam games, FL Studio, Ableton, Photoshop, etc. If I want casual games and apps I would rather get an iPad or Android device.

Koroviev

idk why but when i opened word 2013 a blue screen popped up telling me to activate windows 8. and then word was like we can't verify your license or something.

anyone have that issue before?

Does it say that your copy of Win8 is activated under system properties?

dLMN8R

I figure I'll repost this here from the Windows 8 PC thread.

I finally got my new work machine - ended up going with the Dell XPS 12. Surprisingly nice, all around! Great build quality, materials feel excellent, keyboard every bit as good as the Thinkpads I've used, fantastic display, and it's much thinner than I expected it to be. Still heavier at 3.4 lbs or so, but not unweildy in the least.

The tablet conversion works really well. Seems very sturdy, and is held in place with magnets instead of friction or mechanical latches. As a tablet it's big and heavy, of course, but since it's thinner than I expected I can definitely see myself comfortably using it as a tablet on the couch or on a plane.

Really impressed!

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
More apps, big names and higher quality apps. Windows 8 has nothing of that.

That's not the point. That's up to the devs. There is nothing inherently better about Android and iOS apps related to the platform they run on. The original poster's point seems to be that MS shouldn't enter the mobile app space since the only reason people are using windows is for desktop apps.

Pooya

Is there any way to enable the show password button in Firefox? I'm talking about that eye icon on right side of password fields in Windows 8 and IE, it's pretty useful to me.

dLMN8R

Is there any way to enable the show password button in Firefox? I'm talking about that eye icon on right side of password fields in Windows 8 and IE, it's pretty useful to me.

Mozilla needs to implement it using standard fields provided by Windows 8 instead of custom controls.

Milchjon

I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 (Home Premium 64 Bit) to 8 (Pro, because that's what I'm getting via DreamSpark), and it's not giving me the option to keep my programs and everything, only "Personal Files" or nothing. Anyone know why and if/how I can fix this?

Note: I tried to use the upgrade assistant but it gave me some error that I couldn't overcome even though I tried I everything I found on the web.

clav

I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 (Home Premium 64 Bit) to 8 (Pro, because that's what I'm getting via DreamSpark), and it's not giving me the option to keep my programs and everything, only "Personal Files" or nothing. Anyone know why and if/how I can fix this?

Note: I tried to use the upgrade assistant but it gave me some error that I couldn't overcome even though I tried I everything I found on the web.

Are you running the installer through Windows and not from DVD/USB drive boot?

Top Bottom